Period images to relieve some of the stress

18 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Ford:  Deutsch of Cologne

2A2F85T.thumb.jpg.5d86b6218582505f8ee99431a377ff44.jpg.78b2b64ea3943f3e9bb6c5af2350fb86.jpg

H4DC7G.thumb.jpg.27d3bb38c72f5eb020a2772500218094.jpg.9e6698a89cd28c2c29f1fb635306cc74.jpg

Appears to have a locally German-made radio (Telefunken?) specially made to fit Fords from that era.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks guys, that means a lot, not that I can fund another project, but it is good to know this is more than just a great looking car. Collecting literature & photos isn't out of reach. Was it made for several years, stock or custom body? Bob 

The close coupled body style like the one pictured is roughly, 1927, 1928, 1929, & 1930 (basically the whole series of the car from first year to last).  They are around, but the problem with sedans (and any Auburn) is that they tended to use Poplar for wood (I found what I think is Apple too) and while it is a hardwood it also is a softer hardwood and tends to rot a little more quickly via water exposure - killed a lot of the cars off prematurely.  The best way to find one is to join ACD Club and then start calling around to the owners with like cars - does not take too long to find most owners are loyal to the brand and have more than one car with a project sitting in the back of the garage. 

The armored car [panel truck was built by Shop of Siebert of Toledo, Ohio for a Whippet 1 1/2 ton truck chassis. Dates from 1929.

Details as to what steel gauge , glass etc were noted in the Motor Vehicle Monthly magazine for December 1929.

Photos are of a 1933 Chrysler CQ Imperial taken in July of that year. The 1941 Chrysler "Newport" has a 1947 California tag on it as far as I can make out.

Both the Chrysler photos were very small prints.

armoredtruckWhippet001.jpg

CHRYSLER1933convNewport -2photos0001.jpg

• Like 2

This car has survived......and I tried to purchase it twenty years ago.........no luck. It’s now down a deep, dark hole form which it will never emerge.

2795522E-E11E-4178-A391-4BA5648DF822.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, edinmass said:

This is great........

64398778-2925-444C-9116-ABCB08E9C984.png

Wow!  I never thought that open touring cars would have been transported for days/weeks on open rail cars with no protection from the elements.  They must have been a mess when arriving at the dealerships.  

• Thanks 1

2795522E-E11E-4178-A391-4BA5648DF822.png

Ed, That Cunningham could be featured in another thread "GOOD LOOKING CARS FROM THE 1920's" if you care to start it. Sorry it is now lost. Great stack of photos you have been posting, sure would be nice to ID the cars and buildings in the back ground. Bob 

Bob, I never learned how to properly do computers.......so 99 percent of my photos do not have any notes with them.......

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bob, I never learned how to properly do computers.......so 99 percent of my photos do not have any notes with them.......

I can relate to that. Really like to find someone to explain an !Phone without obscenities'. 

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The photo was marked 1920......but who knows......one year difference and they may still be identical.

15 hours ago, George Cole said:

Wow!  I never thought that open touring cars would have been transported for days/weeks on open rail cars with no protection from the elements.  They must have been a mess when arriving at the dealerships.  

The upholstery had been walking around for 2-3 years, I don't see a problem. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The upholstery had been walking around for 2-3 years, I don't see a problem. 

Bob 

The clean up would have been a pain......probably still being hauled by a coal burner. Add in the normal dirt and grime from the rail yards........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coachJC said:

Got this off of a Model T Facebook site

I believe it is a 1908 Ford model S Roadster. The winged pyramid sign would put the photograph at about 1911 if I recall correctly.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, edinmass said:

The clean up would have been a pain......probably still being hauled by a coal burner. Add in the normal dirt and grime from the rail yards........

Exactly!  That was my point...all elements of open rail freight.  And just because the leather upholstery had been alive at some point in time doesn't make it impervious to damage.  Sewn with waterproof thread?  And how about the primitive electronics?  All of it waterproof?  Those brand new cars weren't brand new anymore.

• Like 1