Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

On the side of a building in Anacortes  located on Fidalgo Island. What make is it?

60A5872E-C929-4101-AD1B-51D4B6FFA532.jpeg

A very nice picture. It looks like it may be painted on a wall. The car is clearly a model T Ford with an after-market speedster/roadster body. I had a very similar car over thirty years ago and did quite a bit of research on those after-market bodies. There were more than fifty different companies that produced such bodies for the Ford and other cars. Several that built models very similar to this. This artwork is actually quite good. There are several details done well enough to pinpoint it as a model T, not simply a generic whatever.

All, Please pardon a minor drift away from era images.

How about a fancy one?

481859.jpg

This one is unusual. Wire wheels had been available since the earliest days of automobiles, and many cars had them. However, in the brass era, wire wheels on a model T are very rarely seen in era photographs. I am not entirely convinced this is an era photo? It looks right. But I am not certain about it.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

Drifting away from speedsters, but still a "modified" Ford. How about a custom pickup? This one has been heavily discussed on model T forums in the past. Not sure when it was done, but very likely during the depression years. Nicely done, and well maintained. The fellow appears to be proud of it!

FYI, it is/was a 1919 to 1923 coupe.

ryjk,ul.i7u6y5tr222.jpg

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

All, Please pardon a minor drift away from era images.

Thanks Wayne.  Yes this is painted on the side of a building.  I assumed it was a aftermarket body although quite similar to the 19 Paige 6-66 Daytona speedster or the Kissel Model 45 Gold Bug Speedster.

7 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The unique looking rear of the 1910 Garford is interesting.  In The Automobile, July 28, 1910, Volume XXIII, No. 4, pages 132-133, there is an article titled, "Study Depicting the Trend in Torpedo Body Designing."  The article is in a Google book, URL https://books.google.com/books?id=p8sqAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA948&dq=kissel&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj767HY6efmAhXMGs0KHeqPApQQ6AEwBHoECAEQAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

The gist of the information generally is about air currents from a moving automobile, and how to design features to lessen air drafts and road dust for rear seat passengers.  Attached is a photo copy of the cover of magazine showing the construction of the body's rear, and with a windshield / windscreen in place.  Streamlining was also incorporated in the cowl of the vehicle, whereby the oncoming air flow was to be lifted up and pass over the passengers, thus descending behind the rear seat passengers onto the torpedo section of the rear body.  Presumably the down draft of air behind the torpedo body rear would prevent dust from by draft along with the car.

No other information about this design has been found.  The shape of the torpedo rear body seems to approximate the dihedral wing of an airplane.  Logically one would expect the shape to actually create a low pressure area that causing drag and road dust to be attracted rather than repelled.

10 Garford 02-02.jpg

10 Garford Torpedo Body.jpg

10 Torpedo Body profile.jpg

10 Torpedo body line drawing.jpg

On the previous page, page 325, there are some photos of a RR which also has a "bustle" type back, though nowhere near pronounced as the one above.

One other thing about the RR is its lighting. Many candlepower both going and coming!

RR with 'bustle'1.PNG

RR with 'bustle'2.PNG

R R with bustle3.jpg

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

One other thing about the RR is its lighting. Many candlepower both going and coming!

Because it was ordered for tiger hunting in India the many lamps were needed. I admit although that it exeptional even for a Maharajah's car.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

How about a fancy one?

481859.jpg

This one is unusual. Wire wheels had been available since the earliest days of automobiles, and many cars had them. However, in the brass era, wire wheels on a model T are very rarely seen in era photographs. I am not entirely convinced this is an era photo? It looks right. But I am not certain about it.

I believe wire wheels were common to Scipps-Booth cars: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/58399-orphan-of-the-day-12-05-1915-scripps-booth-model-c-roadster?56983-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-05-1915-Scripps-Booth-Model-C-Roadster=

Craig

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The same as John Blutarsky's GPA at Faber.

That is what I thought - not sure I have even heard of even one survivor.  What is interesting is that one does not survive with some sort of other engine transplanted into it or such as a frame or ... (aka the powerplant had issues or the body construction had issues)  - They were pretty high end coveted cars among the Hollywood set and a fair number (albeit still a dismal survival rates for anything) of various makes large 20's beasts have survived.

37 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Double secret probation for you guys!

porch.jpg

In my day, it was a VW Bug................on the steps of the High School. 

17 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

How did that Ford speedster sneak in there!?

7618019a-d8e6-41a0-a9af-fba7effee594-A17627.jpg.d75aff82b6c8f5dec249bfd69e06ff73.jpg

The Westminster Trust Building, 709 Columbia Street, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.  Built in 1912 and on New Westminster's heritage list today.  Externally, it is unchanged from this photo.  Obviously also housed the offices of the British Blue Funnel Steamship Line which would have docked almost directly behind the photographer.  Note that the car without its side curtains in place is right hand drive.  Possible;y some of the others are as well.  Brtitish Columbia drove on the left side of the road until 1920.

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

That is what I thought - not sure I have even heard of even one survivor.  What is interesting is that one does not survive with some sort of other engine transplanted into it or such as a frame or ... (aka the powerplant had issues or the body construction had issues)  - They were pretty high end coveted cars among the Hollywood set and a fair number (albeit still a dismal survival rates for anything) of various makes large 20's beasts have survived.

There seems to be a survivor:https://theoldmotor.com/?p=70254

Leach Biltwell Motor Co has been discussed on this Forum before:https://forums.aaca.org/topic/285005-what-is-it-20161109-1423/?tab=comments#comment-1539367

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

There seems to be a survivor:https://theoldmotor.com/?p=70254

Leach Biltwell Motor Co has been discussed on this Forum before:https://forums.aaca.org/topic/285005-what-is-it-20161109-1423/?tab=comments#comment-1539367

Well, you learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.   

Low survivor-ship makes sence if is has a Miller SOHC engine - not that anything is wrong with a Miller, but a local shop by the name of Zakira's Garage (Cincinnati, OH) specializes in Miller's (the former owner had the bulk of the plans, factory photos, engine/frame casting molds, and ...  - and my opinion is that the engines are strong as a unit and anytime they are compromised then it is a recipe for other disaster matched to deteriorating aluminum.  I view Miller's work very much as like an Italian build  - they pulled all the extra weight out so that it was just barely capable of doing what it was supposed too.   And god help anyone working on the stuff - must have been like 1800s people working on a Space Shuttle (same goes for such as RR products pre-war and ....).  I suspect when the engines were put in a heavy chassis they had an especially short life span.  Still, I wonder why a couple more engine transplant cars have not survived.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/we-all-love-a-dare-pix-of-truly-extinct-makes.397594/page-195

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

image.jpeg.c5afb55172b0d837f7be5a2e20bd228c.jpeg

Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on ...

Leach-Biltwell, M.A. Leach, Leach Motor Car Co., Leach-Biltwell ...

Leach-Blitwell; Leach [3] (United States) - All Car Index

41 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Other Makes - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums

Cute little Dodge with coachbuilt body! I almost posted in this thread a little earlier Maxwell towncar. Not as stylish as this Stratton-Bliss Dodge, but more interesting than Ford Model T town car or landaulette.

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

In my day, it was a VW Bug................on the steps of the High School. 

When I was at high school in the mid 1960s one of our teachers had a Fiat Bambina. A group of students managed to put it on the roof of the bike shed.

Photo for reference only - I think Bambina was an NZ-only name for these -  No photo description available.

Here are a Ford model A, and a Willys . These were taken in the Mineola and Garden City , long island NY area by a photographer named Drennan. The Willys was a fairly new car when the accident happened. note all the accessory bumper guards on the front didn't help at all with the side impact.

ACCFORDmodela001.jpg

ACCWILLYS001.jpg

• Thanks 1

There is at least one Leach survivor.  About two months ago I watched a YouTube video showing access to a huge storage of old cars; a "special access" type of gee whiz video.  Can't recall where it was, but it was in the U.S.  A Leach car was shown.

Attached are two 1922 Leach models shown in the Clymer Scrapbook Number 6.  The coupe, or convertible coupe model sported some features of the Kissel Gold Bug and Daniels D-19.  If that was the Leach intent then the effort failed,

Leach.jpg

22 Leach Clymer Scrapbook Nr 6 p175.JPG

22 Leach touring Clymer Scrapbook Nr 6 p175.JPG

1917 Nelson Sedan body to go with the advanced technology underneath it.

Emil A. Nelson designed a couple of years earlier the more well known Hupmobile Models 20 and 32.

Again link to the very informative Old Motor site:https://theoldmotor.com/?p=129887

1917 Nelson (2).jpg

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

When I was at high school in the mid 1960s one of our teachers had a Fiat Bambina. A group of students managed to pout it on the roof of the bike shed.

Photo for reference only - I think Bambina was an NZ-only name for these -  No photo description available.

A friend of my Mothers had one of these in the 60's.  She referred to it as her Transistorized Belair

In 1948 my father was working on a car while it was on a compressed air hoist, similar to the one in the photo.  The compressed air tank exploded and blew my dad out of his shoes and slammed him against a wall.  He was in hospital a good long while.  It was a distressing time for the entire family.

33FDCC80-03D4-4F65-B3FC-A06580475318.thumb.jpeg.03e010c1135d4da909f8fc87986eb9b4.jpg

• Like 1