Walt G

https://www.jstor.org/stable/24965531?seq=1

JOURNAL ARTICLE

Your Next Automobile

Scientific American
Vol. 140, No. 1 (January 1929), pp. 44-47
Page Count: 4

image.thumb.jpeg.6c9081a5aa18e8847986d9054fb42888.jpeg

From the New Cadillac Database  https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/Drm25-27.htm

Brunn (NY, USA) Special custom sedan-landaulet (style #1915?) for 4 or 6 passengers. for New York auto show.  Pete Spalding, an Aussie enthusiast, says this car was bought by his grandfather at the Chicago World's Fair.  The image below is from an old family movie.  Pete is hoping to be able to provide additional photos of this super-rare car.  It is believed that the car may have survived and may still reside in Australia.  Pete wrote, in March 2010, to Peter Ratcliff, a CLC member and   friend from Melbourne who kindly relayed the message he thought might interest users of the "Cadillac Database". He said:  Hello. I am trying to track down a Cadillac owned by my Grandfather from  around 1935 to the 1950's. The car was bought to Australia by Sir Sidney Myer1 after it was purchased at the Chicago Worlds Fair. I have a photo of  the car that I can email. The main difference I can see is the car is a 7-seater with suicide doors front and rear. The original colour was yellow with black guards and hood. It had fold down dickie seats [opera seats], carved ivory door handles, etc. The car was last seen in 1990 in Melbourne. We were of the impression it was sold to a neighbour in Red Cliffs and turned  into a rabbit truck! [!!!] Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please send me an email if you would like me to forward the photo. Regards Pete Spalding. PS.  My grandfather was Dr Harold Zimmer of Red Cliffs, Mildura [Australia].  I recognized the car the minute I saw the photo. It is a custom job with coachwork by Herman Brunn of NY, built for the 1927 NY auto show. I had never seen a photo before; I have only an artist's drawing of it (below) from an advertisement; this and another Brunn creation were used to advertise Egyptian Lacquers  inAutomotive Industries on 3rd December 1927 [BTW, I would be grateful for a photocopy of the other page (p.4), from the same magazine]. 
1 Russian Jewish refugee, Simcha Baevski, arrived in Australia  in 1899 with only a few pennies to his name. Sidney Myer, as he became known, took up peddling, hawking goods around the Victorian countryside. From these inauspicious beginnings the enterprising Sidney engineered a retail revolution and opened Melbourne's first department store, the Myer Emporium. He moved quickly through the ranks of society, shocking the stuffy Melbourne establishment with his marriage to Merlyn Baillieu, a debutante 22 years his junior, from one of city's most powerful families. He died a millionaire and is remembered for his civic leadership and philanthropy, a legacy his descendants continue to this day.
drm2527

drm2527

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

From the New Cadillac Database  https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/Drm25-27.htm

Brunn (NY, USA) Special custom sedan-landaulet (style #1915?) for 4 or 6 passengers. for New York auto show.  Pete Spalding, an Aussie enthusiast, says this car was bought by his grandfather at the Chicago World's Fair.  The image below is from an old family movie.  Pete is hoping to be able to provide additional photos of this super-rare car.  It is believed that the car may have survived and may still reside in Australia.  Pete wrote, in March 2010, to Peter Ratcliff, a CLC member and   friend from Melbourne who kindly relayed the message he thought might interest users of the "Cadillac Database". He said:  Hello. I am trying to track down a Cadillac owned by my Grandfather from  around 1935 to the 1950's. The car was bought to Australia by Sir Sidney Myer1 after it was purchased at the Chicago Worlds Fair. I have a photo of  the car that I can email. The main difference I can see is the car is a 7-seater with suicide doors front and rear. The original colour was yellow with black guards and hood. It had fold down dickie seats [opera seats], carved ivory door handles, etc. The car was last seen in 1990 in Melbourne. We were of the impression it was sold to a neighbour in Red Cliffs and turned  into a rabbit truck! [!!!] Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please send me an email if you would like me to forward the photo. Regards Pete Spalding. PS.  My grandfather was Dr Harold Zimmer of Red Cliffs, Mildura [Australia].  I recognized the car the minute I saw the photo. It is a custom job with coachwork by Herman Brunn of NY, built for the 1927 NY auto show. I had never seen a photo before; I have only an artist's drawing of it (below) from an advertisement; this and another Brunn creation were used to advertise Egyptian Lacquers  inAutomotive Industries on 3rd December 1927 [BTW, I would be grateful for a photocopy of the other page (p.4), from the same magazine]. 
1 Russian Jewish refugee, Simcha Baevski, arrived in Australia  in 1899 with only a few pennies to his name. Sidney Myer, as he became known, took up peddling, hawking goods around the Victorian countryside. From these inauspicious beginnings the enterprising Sidney engineered a retail revolution and opened Melbourne's first department store, the Myer Emporium. He moved quickly through the ranks of society, shocking the stuffy Melbourne establishment with his marriage to Merlyn Baillieu, a debutante 22 years his junior, from one of city's most powerful families. He died a millionaire and is remembered for his civic leadership and philanthropy, a legacy his descendants continue to this day.
drm2527

drm2527

This is all very interesting but I have a question for the Australian fellow looking for the answer about the car . He mentions it was at the New York Auto Show - but there was a New York Auto Show as well as a New York Salon for that year. TWO VERY DIFFERENT SHOWS! The New York Salon was held at the Hotel Commodore and to see the cars at that show was by invitation only. The regular New York Auto Show the general public could attend and pay a token fee to go look at the cars. The Salons ( held in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles) were only for custom bodied cars ( such as this Brunn sedan) . Chassis were luxury cars only of  American and European manufacture.
Over the decades since they took place , car collectors ( as well as writers) have touted that the car they owned , or their relative, neighbor etc owned was at the New York Auto Show., and assumed that the Salon was the same thing . It was not. Repeated over and over that mistake has become fact - it's wrong and inaccurate history. I am not putting down the NY Auto show!!!!! A great book on the NY Auto show was written by my good friend and fellow historian Gregg Merksamer of Warwick, NY. .

To get a accurate history you have to gather the facts , not surmise what happened. There is no list of every car that was on display at the NY Auto Show or at the NY Salon . For decades I have tried to carefully trace (without assuming anything!) , what cars were indeed on display at the NY Salon held at the Hotel Commodore as well as the other custom bodied salons in Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles. If you have managed to obtain copies of the Salon souvenir programs for all the salons you can see how the cars started to first be on display in NY then move west as the other Salons took place.

I hope this hasn't been to boring to read, I am  just trying to put into perspective the difference between a Automobile Show and an Automobile  Salon.

One of these years I may offer to do a seminar at the AACA Annual meeting to try to better sort this out for people  - works much better by showing you the page for one body builder starting with their listing in NY and working their way finally to the Los Angeles Salon, plus add in period photographs of the cars mentioned in the program. Lots of work!!!!

Walt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/24965531?seq=1

JOURNAL ARTICLE

Your Next Automobile

Scientific American
Vol. 140, No. 1 (January 1929), pp. 44-47
Page Count: 4

image.thumb.jpeg.6c9081a5aa18e8847986d9054fb42888.jpeg

I think this is the Rollston bodied Packard in the upper right corner?

1929 Packard 645 Deluxe Eight Chassis 173233

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:
PDNY in New York City circa 1910. Now known as the NYPD.

109450437_10221734290882460_3854927205613458572_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=K-M1zDF0T8IAX8NdUxq&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=d864b2be6e02b91770b88f17f846b0e3&oe=5F329C51

This one has appeared elsewhere in the past. From memory it is an early S & M (Smith and Mabley) Simplex, the make that preceded the better known Simplex. The cars were Mercedes-inspired and had bodies by Quinby.

• Like 1

Dad.thumb.jpg.acd795b0ca15b455ec3e96f07704c952.jpg

While not an exotic car, it was exotic looking for a Model A Roadster.   My parents named it "The Rabbit", a yellow roadster

was sporty an fun for a newly married young couple.

• Like 3

The unique looking rear of the 1910 Garford is interesting.  In The Automobile, July 28, 1910, Volume XXIII, No. 4, pages 132-133, there is an article titled, "Study Depicting the Trend in Torpedo Body Designing."  The article is in a Google book, URL https://books.google.com/books?id=p8sqAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA948&dq=kissel&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj767HY6efmAhXMGs0KHeqPApQQ6AEwBHoECAEQAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

The gist of the information generally is about air currents from a moving automobile, and how to design features to lessen air drafts and road dust for rear seat passengers.  Attached is a photo copy of the cover of magazine showing the construction of the body's rear, and with a windshield / windscreen in place.  Streamlining was also incorporated in the cowl of the vehicle, whereby the oncoming air flow was to be lifted up and pass over the passengers, thus descending behind the rear seat passengers onto the torpedo section of the rear body.  Presumably the down draft of air behind the torpedo body rear would prevent dust from by draft along with the car.

No other information about this design has been found.  The shape of the torpedo rear body seems to approximate the dihedral wing of an airplane.  Logically one would expect the shape to actually create a low pressure area that causing drag and road dust to be attracted rather than repelled.

10 Garford 02-02.jpg

10 Garford Torpedo Body.jpg

10 Torpedo Body profile.jpg

10 Torpedo body line drawing.jpg

• Like 1