Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

23 minutes ago, MetroPetro said:

Looks like downtown Brattleboro.

Similar, but the hill isn't steep enough, sidewalks are too narrow, the road is too wide, and there are no half naked hippies walking around.

• Haha 3

The plane is a Sikorsky S-40, one of three built for Pan American Airlines.  It first flew in 1931 and was the first plane that Pan Am called a Clipper.  It's said that Lindbergh looked at all those struts and wires and called it the Flying Forest.  It's hard to imagine that they persuaded people to buy tickets to fly in the thing.  I, by contrast, would go up in it in a heartbeat if I could ride up front!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

The plane is a Sikorsky S-40, one of three built for Pan American Airlines.  It first flew in 1931 and was the first plane that Pan Am called a Clipper.  It's said that Lindbergh looked at all those struts and wires and called it the Flying Forest.  It's hard to imagine that they persuaded people to buy tickets to fly in the thing.  I, by contrast, would go up in it in a heartbeat if I could ride up front!

thanks. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure that out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Ed's just going to have top dig a little deeper in his collection. ;) 

I have MUCH better photos, from the Classic Era.......but if I post them, Peter will complain to Steve M.........like he is going to do anyway with this one.........

2601696F-92E1-498C-955E-23BD222884CF.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I have MUCH better photos, from the Classic Era.......but if I post them, Peter will complain to Steve M.........like he is going to do anyway with this one.........

2601696F-92E1-498C-955E-23BD222884CF.png

Well Ed in Today's backward world you should probably be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for exposing me to such an image.  I mean wow a Knee cap and eve na little thigh.  The world really is going to hell in a handbasket.

I'll pray for your salvation tonight. ;) 

• Haha 3

Concours d'Elegance at Parc des Princes 1924. Peugeot Coupé Madame by Janoir. Bellow a Bignan with body by Monnier. The 1919-1931 produced Bignan was famous for three things:Desmodromic valves on sports/racing models, only front-wheel brakes and Jacques Bignan winning the 1928 Monte Carlo Rally in a Fiat 509 while still a car manufacturer in his own right!

IMG_20200611_202402.jpg

IMG_20200611_202448.jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Occasionally, a custom body in the early decades features a design that we now recognize was decades in the future.  The Coupe Madame by Janoir greenhouse looks like a Studebaker two door sedan from 1947-'52.  Uncanny when those out-of-period design features appear, very avant-garde for the time.  Wonder who designed that?

22 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Occasionally, a custom body in the early decades features a design that we now recognize was decades in the future.  The Coupe Madame by Janoir greenhouse looks like a Studebaker two door sedan from 1947-'52.  Uncanny when those out-of-period design features appear, very avant-garde for the time.  Wonder who designed that?

According to COACHBUILD.com Carrosserie Janoir was situated in the Northern suburbs of Paris. Interestingly that site gives the time span 1925-1939, eventhough the Peugeot Coupé Madame is featured and it was completed before 1st of July 1924! The site has a Delahaye and a couple of Delages with bodies by Janoir, but they are all convertibles built on Baehr's patent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Shanghai Horse Bazaar & Buggy? 

The roofline and windshield sure has a strange resemblance to it.

Craig

1924_Stude_Light_Six_China.jpg

Here are a few more - the early photos are taken in Garden City, long island , NY circa 1908-1909 on Nassau Blvd.

the grainy touring car photo is one i would like all you who enjoy obscure cars of the 1920s will have to ponder and let us know what you think it is.

NASSAUblvdGardenCity1908001.jpg

NASSAUblvdGardenCity1908002.jpg

BIRCHcar001.jpg