Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Any idea what my commission would be for selling these four?

The SSK alone is worth 50 million dollars.   We can debate the Carraciola 500K,  but it could be as much as 10 million given its provenance.  Throw in 10 to 15  for the other two and you are looking at 75 million dollars worth of cars.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Erdmann and Rossi made few ugly bodies.  This one is probably their least attractive.

Top appears to go down too given no dip rail and just has that "look" - sure that adds to attractiveness when down, but lots of "straight" lines in that body.   Mile long hood and front fenders are great.  I take it not a survivor or is now rebodied. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Top appears to go down too given no dip rail and just has that "look" - sure that adds to attractiveness when down, but lots of "straight" lines in that body.   Mile long hood and front fenders are great.  I take it not s survivor or is now rebodied. 

I have never seen a modern picture of it.  But I'm always surprised whens something comes out of the woodwork.

• Like 1

If it is really for a king, it's probably 1/2" steel plate, which is kind of hard to form gracefully.

Fenders look "sacrificial", and with steel wheels they did not need "run flat tires'.

Hope the glass is thick.........

Mike in Colorado

39 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

gettyimages-545708919-612x612.jpg

Another one of these slinky Mercedes tourers.  This is one of my favorite old car photos.  The angle that the photographer got, against the sweep and proportions of the car, and the way that back tire fills the fender - I admire it every time I look at it.

MercedesTourer.thumb.jpg.89d259b266777c86d5f9759e5b0c5348.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The SSK alone is worth 50 million dollars.   We can debate the Carraciola 500K,  but it could be as much as 10 million given its provenance.  Throw in 10 to 15  for the other two and you are looking at 75 million dollars worth of cars.

History/value aside the cabriolet on the bottom would be my pick of a keeper. Bob 

A correction on that incorrectly identified Chrysler 75.  It is indeed a 1928 Mercedes-Benz Sport Model S.  I had matched the photo with the wrong text.  Sorry about that.  At the time I thought it did look like a Mercedes and was intrigued that it was a Chrysler, without thinking, "What is wrong with this picture".  The photo and text is in Floyd Clymer's Historical Motor Scrapbook, Number 6, page 184.

Here is what he wrote for the photo:

"Built to run faster than 100 miles per hour with standard gear ratio, and capable of better than two miles per minute with special gear ratio, the new six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz, Sport Model S, has a large six-cylinder engine, 3.86 by 5.9 inches, rendered still more powerful by the use of a supercharger.  It has light alloy pistons, pressure lubrication with an auxiliary fresh oil pump, multiple, dry-disk clutch, four-speed transmission, four-wheel mechanical internal brakes, wire wheels, a four-passenger sport body with skeleton fenders.  The car is exceptionally low.  Wheel-base is 134 inches and weight 3700 pounds.  Marketed by Mercedes-Benz Co., 247 Park Ave., New York City."

Now that brings up an interesting point, the engine bore and stroke dimensions.  I have read in old journals about American "long stroke" engines, and if I remember correctly, the American long stroke engines were not nearly as long as the Mercedes dimension.  Could Clymer have reversed the bore and stroke dimensions?  Shouldn't a faster and more powerful engine have a larger bore and shorter stroke?

28 Mercedes-Benz Sport Model S Clymer Scrapbook Nr6 p184.JPG

Man Inspecting a Car's Engine

(Original Caption) "Flivver plane" pilot a speed merchant. Lawrence Sperry, who pilots a flivver airplane, is something of a speedster when driving an auto. His Marmon car could only make 60 miles an hour and that was too slow. So Sperry installed an 0 x 5 aeroplane motor in the car and is able to reach the 90 per hour mark. He is shown here pointing out the advantages to the motor to his wife.

Man Inspecting a Car's Engine : News Photo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ms. Lind at the wheel of her 19/120 Stutz sports-car - Photographer: Atelier Binder- 03/1928/29Vintage property of ullstein bild

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Ms. Lind at the wheel of her 19/120 Stutz sports-car - Photographer: Atelier Binder- 03/1928/29Vintage property of ullstein bild (Photo by Atelier Binder/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Ms. Lind at the wheel of her 19/120 Stutz sports-car - Photographer: Atelier Binder- 03/1928/29Vintage property of ullstein bild : News Photo

• Like 1

Stutz 140 PS Kabriolett

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Stutz 140 PS KabriolettBesitzer Dr. F. W. Unger-Kempinskiveröffentlicht Dame 22/1929Aufnahme Zander und Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Stutz 140 PS Kabriolett : News Photo

Stutz 140 PS Kabriolett

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Stutz 140 PS KabriolettBesitzer Dr. F. W. Unger-Kempinskiveröffentlicht Dame 22/1929Aufnahme Zander und Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Stutz Racer - 1927 : News Photo

17 minutes ago, twin6 said:

1909 model M White with The Walking Man (Edward Payson Weston) alongside, doing his thing. 

1909 M.jpg

I had never really read up on Edward Payson Weston... cross country walk in 100 days in the same year Alice Ramsey drove it in 59 days. Now when I look at the picture that man looks bigger than the White he stands next to. 

Speedster Breaking Record

(Original Caption) Setting a record of 62 hours for the 3100 mile trip from Miami, Florida, to Los Angeles to catch the liner Malolo, Fred A. Maywald and his tiny midget car, a specially-built English racer capable of doing 90 MPH, are enroute to Honolulu to show Hawaii its first glimpse of a midget car. the car is owned by Henry J. Topping Jr., New York sports man, who is also making the trip. The 2-day 14 hour time from coast to coast is declared a record for all cars, not only midgets. Maywald and the little speeder are shown here arriving alongside the Malolo at the conclusion of the record trip.

Speedster Breaking Record : News Photo

• Thanks 1

16/90 PS 8 Zylinder Auburn Speedster

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) 16/90 PS 8 Zylinder Auburn Speedsterveröffentlicht BZ 10.11.1928Aufnahme Hans Henschke (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

16/90 PS 8 Zylinder Auburn Speedster : News Photo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luxuswagen

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Mercedes-Benz SS Sport KabriolettDer teuerste Wagen auf der PariserAutoausstellung ( 54 000 Mark )- 1928Foto: Hans Henschke (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Luxuswagen : News Photo

• Like 1

German Empire, car: 'Gropius' Adler - Photographer: Hans Henschke- Published by: 'Die Dame' 14/1931Vintage property of ullstein bild

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) German Empire, car: 'Gropius' Adler - Photographer: Hans Henschke- Published by: 'Die Dame' 14/1931Vintage property of ullstein bild (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

German Empire, car: 'Gropius' Adler - Photographer: Hans Henschke- Published by: 'Die Dame' 14/1931Vintage property of ullstein bild : News Photo

Kabriolett von Austro - Daimler

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Kabriolett von Austro - DaimlerKarosserie von Kellner1928Foto: Hans Henschke (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Kabriolett von Austro - Daimler : News Photo

Luxury cars The emergency seat of a Chrysler roadster (owned by Georgia Lind) - 1928 - Photographer: Hans Henschke - Vintage property of ullstein bild

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Luxury cars The emergency seat of a Chrysler roadster (owned by Georgia Lind) - 1928 - Photographer: Hans Henschke - Vintage property of ullstein bild (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Luxury cars The emergency seat of a Chrysler roadster (owned by Georgia Lind) - 1928 - Photographer: Hans Henschke - Vintage property of ullstein bild : News Photo

• Like 1

And it comes in a "small" too

Luxuswagen

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Die kleinen Damenwagen: 8/38 Mercedes-Benz-Kabriolett" (OT)veröffentlicht in "Dame 3/1928Foto: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

• Like 1

German Empire, car: 22/90-PS Lincoln Transformable- Photographer: Zander & Labisch- Published by 'Dame' 10/1927

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) German Empire, car: 22/90-PS Lincoln Transformable- Photographer: Zander & Labisch- Published by 'Dame' 10/1927 (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

German Empire, car: 22/90-PS Lincoln Transformable- Photographer: Zander & Labisch- Published by 'Dame' 10/1927 : News Photo

Fritz Kreisler

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) *1875-1962+Geiger, Komponist; Amit Ehefrau Harriet vor seinem Lincoln Cabriolet vor seinem Wohnhaus in Berlinveröffentlicht: Dame 3/1928Foto: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Fritz Kreisler : News Photo

• Like 1

Luxuswagen

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Cadillac Cabriolet von Verleger Rudolf Ullstein (Karosserie von Hibbrad & Darin, Paris)- 1929Foto: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

• Like 1

Frl. H. Weiss in ihrem Parkard Roadster (Zweisitzer)

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Frl. H. Weiss in ihrem Parkard Roadster (Zweisitzer) im Berliner Tiergarten; i.H. der Reichstagerschienen Dame 3/1928Foto: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Frl. H. Weiss in ihrem Parkard Roadster (Zweisitzer) : News Photo

• Thanks 1