Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I bought that picture,  but when he went to ship it to me he couldn't find it.

Here's two for free.  I think from the plate Mr. Weed lived in the greater Albany area.  (No, I wasn't the eBay vendor!)

905 with Rollston body.jpg

905 of Charles T Weed.jpg

• Like 3

Scanned many years ago from a book of local history photos. Probably the only 1937 Buick 80-C Roadmaster convertible phaeton imported to NZ. I think the photo was taken in Northland, in the 1950s - it looks as if the hydroplane might have a flat head Ford V8 in it. 

37 80C  Northland.jpg

• Like 2

This advertisement from 1916 for "The Lad's Car" is interesting.  The ad shows that the Niagara Motor Car Corporation, in Niagara Falls, New York built the vehicle.  It resembles a Franklin in the hood and is a one-place speedster.  Information is virtually non-existent about this vehicle.  A Wikipedia article about the Wilson Automobile Manufacturing Company says that company operated between 1903 and 1905, and sold their vehicle as the "Niagara".  Further, the 1904 Niagara runabout had a single-cylinder engine, could seat 2 or 4 passengers and sold for $850.  The company was purchased  by the La Salle-Niagara Company in 1905 and cars were built until 1906.  There is a 10-year gap between the end of production in 1906 of a Niagara car, and this 1916 offering of Niagara Lad's Car.  It is unclear from the ad if the Lad's Car is a pedal car or a motorize car.

16 Niagara Lad Clymer Scrapbook Nr8 p115.JPG

A compilation photo from 1936 highlighting the work of the NZ Automobile Association.

The thing that intrigued me about this photo is the Buick being unloaded from the ship. It is an Australian one with a Holden body - quite different to the Fisher bodied cars which were sold new in NZ. I have a Holden body '34 Buick which my grandparents bought in 1946. Unfortunately it is probably beyond economic restoration but maybe the next generation will do something with it. I believe there is at least one other Holden body '34 in NZ although I have not seen it. The car ebbing unloaded here may have just been visiting.

The other photo with our '34 Holden body was taken in Picton on a family holiday in 1960. That motel is still there. I am the eldest of the kids there. 

36 9 September Wellington AWNS.jpg

old pics 5 (1024x689).jpg

1908 Holsman highwheeler.  Highwheelers were popular and important in the days of rural dirt roads in the American midwest.  My grandfather had an International highwheeler back in the day, in Minnesota.  According to my father, a trip in the highwheeler to visit family 52 miles distant took an entire day.  His dad would stop about every 15 miles to check the amount of crankcase oil.  And, he said, his dad could cuss a blue streak under his breath because of the slick hard rubber "tires" working in the mud.

08 Holsman ad Clymer Scrapbook 7 p180.JPG

31 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Here's two for free.  I think from the plate Mr. Weed lived in the greater Albany area.  (No, I wasn't the eBay vendor!)

905 with Rollston body.jpg

905 of Charles T Weed.jpg

Looks like Chuck McCann.?

• Like 2

Part of a 1914 Rauch and Lang advertisement.  The banner says they have built coaches for over sixty years.  That claim places their coach building experience back into the 1850s.

14 Rauch and Lang Clymer Scrapbook 4 p109.JPG

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Charlie Chaplin 1931 #1

This is a wonderful shot of Hollywood filming a movie!

About forty years ago, I watched the 1931 classic film "City Lights" starring Charlie Chaplin in one of the last really great silent film classics. I am pretty sure I clearly remember this very scene in the movie. The movie is simply charming, and loaded with the pathos and subtle comedy for which Chaplin is so famous. I would highly recommend anyone with any interest in early films take the time to find it, and watch it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

This would be ineresting to see as a new car: The 1931 Barron Buick (Canada): Custom was built by Smith Body Works Ltd. in Toronto using the chassis of a 1931 McLaughlin-Buick

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Thank you John M for posting this one! I have often commented that I am not all that pleased by the CCCA expanding their "acceptable classics" list. While SOME of the changes I think were good, and even necessary, including more and more "lesser" cars is not a good thing in the long run. When I was a member, way back when I was just getting into this hobby, their list included the "Smith Buick" as the ONLY Buick accepted as a full classic. I never ever saw a picture, or any details of the car! I take it that this must be the one and only? And that it must still exist? Regardless, I am pleased that I finally get to see a picture of it!

I know a lot of people have benefited by expansion of the "Classics" list, including a number of Buick owners. And I am NOT looking to start a discussion of the subject here, or at this time. But where does one draw that line? I am just glad to see some reason WHY that one Buick was admitted so many years ago.

Again John M, Thank You.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

1913 De Tamble speedster.  Eye goggles and even a windshield might be recommended for speeding.

13 De Tamble Clymer Scrapbook 4 p97.JPG

That DeTamble today with "improvisations" by Dale Adams:

DeTamble_rs.jpg.955f72b9e98a3d72e952a96e

• Like 1

1938 Lincoln-Zephyr Convertible Coupe. Note on back...." Fete des Artistes du Tremblay, Mlle. Mistinguett, dans concours au concours d'elegance automobile, 16 June 1938" The location is Tremblay race course on the southwest outskirts of Paris.

"Mistinguett", born Jeanne Bourgeois (1875-1956) was an entertainer who appeared at the Folies Bergere and Moulin Rouge. With risque routines that captivated Paris , she was the highest paid female entertainer in the world in her time. She never married but had a long relationship with young Maurice Chevalier. 

LZ100 001 (2).jpg

• Like 1