What are you working on right now?

17 hours ago, chistech said:

Well, no pictures for my post but spent the last two days, in my spare time, doing a full brake job on my tow vehicle, an 08’ Gmc duramax dually 4wd crew cab. It got 4 new rotors, all new pads, plus emergency brake shoes. If we can actually show our cars this year I’ll need it in 100% condition. As strange as this might sound, it was one of the easiest brake jobs done in a long time even though the parts are pretty massive. What I mean by easy was there were no issues other than it being bull work and heavy components. People from the north East will know what I mean by saying a brake job up here can be a ton of problems with badly rusted parts, bolts breaking off, rusted stuck calipers, etc.

I remember the first brake job I did on a local car after I moved down from Illinois. I was ready to douse everything with PB and replace brake lines when the fittings broke off but everything came off clean - it was amazing.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Getting ready to spread 7 1/2 tons of gravel this morning.  Oh yea, what fun.

IMG_5939.JPG

Hmm. I'm getting ready to plant a bunch of grass where the yard was torn up for driveway  and water line installation. At least when the gravel is moved, you're done!😁

• Thanks 1

While sheltering at home I have been putting the finishing touches on the engine for my 1934 Plymouth PE Coupe. I am hoping to get it back in the car and running soon. The engine has been bored 30 over with all new internal parts. While I am at it I decided to repaint the cowl and frame. It will never be easier than now.

20200425_193430.jpg

20200408_200406.jpg

20200928_203459.jpg

20200928_203426.jpg

Edited by Bruce Winters
Added updated photos (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 4/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Getting ready to spread 7 1/2 tons of gravel this morning.  Oh yea, what fun.

IMG_5939.JPG

Well you don't have to mow it.  and it's pretty fire resistant. 

Then again the only place i can get grass to grow up here is in the gravel driveway.  It won't grow in the lawn where it's suppose to,  no matter how much I fertilize and reseed it.  even put down a whole new layer of top soil.  Didn't make a bit of difference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John S. said:

Martin, at least you have nice weather, and you are out!!

Yes John, we're out on a 1.250 acre. All the lots around me are about the same so plenty of distancing.  I had a large area of larger rock around some pine trees that I moved to make room for the smaller stuff.  When it gets really hot in the summer it stresses the pines and they drop needles like mad.  Then I have to rake them up, and the larger rock makes it a real job to clean up. It's been toasty here already.  Hopefully it's not going to be a hot one this year.

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Then again the only place i can get grass to grow up here is in the gravel driveway.  It won't grow in the lawn where it's suppose to,  no matter how much I fertilize and reseed it.  even put down a whole new layer of top soil.  Didn't make a bit of difference. 

If you have pine trees around your yard and you mow over the needles then they become small pieces that mix in your lawn and could be causing your problem. They're very acidic.  That's why you don't see grass grow under pine trees.  I don't know if there is any way you can test it or anything that can be applied to reduce the acidic condition. Actually I would like to move somewhere with grass and more trees.  It could have a little snow and rain with some cooler temps.  Don't know where the perfect place would be, but we're still looking. 

37 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

If you have pine trees around your yard and you mow over the needles then they become small pieces that mix in your lawn and could be causing your problem. They're very acidic.  That's why you don't see grass grow under pine trees.  I don't know if there is any way you can test it or anything that can be applied to reduce the acidic condition. Actually I would like to move somewhere with grass and more trees.  It could have a little snow and rain with some cooler temps.  Don't know where the perfect place would be, but we're still looking. 

Well you don't want to move to NY for sure.  

With the lawn,  actually it doesn't matter some of our yard has no pine trees and the rest has some.  We leaf blow all the lawn so not many of the needles stay on the lawn.  Just really crappy soil every where around here.   The grass grows but it's the furthest thing from nice.  It's green for the most part from a distance.  Now with a ton of Miracle grow I had some crazy nice flowers last year,  but I watered them every night.  Miracle growed them twice a week religiously and when planting they went into fresh flower beds with composted manure and potting soil. Then everything got mulched over.  The wife and I have realized that even the moss is fine,  as long as it's something green. 

Getting closer.  New steering balls in process, and then the rest goes back together.  Its not like we are trying to be on the road for the Memorial day parade but looking forward to seeing the difference.  The front end, brakes, & suspension were all pretty tired.

FB_IMG_1588075653862.jpg

• Like 4

In an effort to better organise parts I was given parts of a 10x12 tube shed but no covering so dragged things out and sorted them.

IMG_6850.thumb.JPG.d2d4eadede8e55823352d575189c2055.JPG

There was enough to make it a 10x10 and will need to buy a cover yet. This will be a temporary setup till I find enough funds for the garage extension but will help with much needed space. Sealed up properly and secured to the pad it could be a painting room for small parts.

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Getting closer.  New steering balls in process, and then the rest goes back together.  Its not like we are trying to be on the road for the Memorial day parade but looking forward to seeing the difference.  The front end, brakes, & suspension were all pretty tired.

I did the same for my Model T and noticed a big difference in ride and steering. Good to see you are doing it the right way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

I did the same for my Model T and noticed a big difference in ride and steering. Good to see you are doing it the right way.

Thanks Jeff, I figure it should be done every 90 years whether it needs it or not. 😁😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

So I finally got the Coop mostly finished up.  I pulled it out of the big shop to finish a couple things then moved it probably over 400 feet over some not so even terrain to where it's set for now. I think it's about the max I would want to move with my tractor. The 1 inch plank floor and roof as well as full dimension rafters all added some extra probably unnecessary weight.   I might move it again if the wife and I decide it's just not working where it is. 

Here are a couple of shots.  Built it with pretty much all scrap lumber from the shop/ Shed project.  The wife thinks I went a bit overboard. 

Now the snow storm knocked down some trees so I have to clean those up.  A day or two cleaning out the swamp for the ducks and maybe I can finally get to work on my cars again. 

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

• Like 2

Randy, your wife tells me that’s your new living quarters if you buy another ACD car. Looks good. The ducks are going to live in style!

• Haha 1

It just might be.  Probably won't have ducks in it for long.  The Turkey vultures have been circling the property the last few days since we started putting them outside and a bear even ran through the back yard in the middle of the day yesterday.  Not that a bear would go after them,  but that's just an indication of exactly how wild the wild kingdom is around here.  The neighbor also said she thinks there might be a Fischer in the area.   I know I have seen a fox in the middle of the day last year.  Goal is to get the swamp cleaned out enough to keep predators down and some water for them to escape to incase a predator does come around.  We also figured if the ducks get eaten well maybe we'll just turn the coop into a dog house.  Of course I think that's what you were referring to.  Just I would be the dog. ;) 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I should be working on My Buick's but received a call from my buddy asking for help with his lawn since his riding lawn mower broke down. Using my rider and his equipment the afternoon went by quickly.

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.5d850f2cbe0cd0f036ab67b3b5eb0640.JPG

Then he asked if I would help him look at an issue with the brakes on his '66 Lincoln.

Moving his collection of cars was fun to gain access to his lift.

IMG_6858.thumb.JPG.6a839e3fbfee508abb5428293019489e.JPG

IMG_6859.thumb.JPG.7faed342b3f90ab199c2cb80bc97743b.JPG

IMG_6862.thumb.JPG.64bebc7cf98e87de7d5b7aca0b0763fc.JPG

Turns out the drivers side rear had self adjusted to the point it was dragging. 

Too much backing up and applying the brakes?

• Like 3

Today I found myself back at the museum. First order of business was a compression test on the big 10 ton Lombard tractor.

It all checked out good and with a new ignition system - cap, plugs, wire, rotor button, coil, condenser and ballast resistor that

narrows it down to the carb as the prime suspect for the sketchy running.

Anyway, the old beast was running very well and since we had a couple of Construction Engineering Technology students

from the University of Maine meeting with us to discuss cap stone projects we figured why walk when you can ride?

Needing another short film section for the virtual museum tour we managed to talk them into working the pit saw as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5mFT-Tdp0

I decided to test out the drone a bit. It was far too windy to go crazy with it so I just took a few shots around

the Lombard shed.

DJI_0007.thumb.JPG.ce7a40e37e4abb63f720d768c354a6f5.JPG

If you notice in some of the videos the dump truck has quite bit of bounce to it. At times its like riding a pogo stick. The front end

was designed to be rather flexible and has four large coil springs. Long bolts down through the springs are supposed to keep a certain

amount of compression on the springs and also limit travel. The bolts were very loose and way, way past their expiration date  - bent so the

adjusting nuts could no longer adjust and any exposed threads long since gone. 

A little work with the sawszall and its ready for the new bolts which Herb will install on Tuesday. Hopefully, driving the beast

will no longer feel like your in a cocktail shaker. 

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have 2 cars in pieces right now in the shop.

My 1939 Buick is awaiting a rebuilt water pump.  Should be here in a few days.

and

I helped my teenage son buy his first car this week, a 2009 Corolla.  I like how sensible he is.  He said he likes the Toyota badge and he wanted a gray car.  That was doable.   It needs brakes and rear struts-Rock Auto is sending those.  I showed him how to rub out some scratches on it tonight, and we’ll wax it tomorrow.

• Like 1

In the world of the strange, obscure, and unusually mechanically interesting, this car followed me home today...............now I can check another fantastically rare platform of my list of never driven or serviced. Since it a one of one, Auto Show Car from 1929 it’s one I never though I would ever get to drive....or disassemble. Gonna find a lot of neat things inside the engine! 😝

432B8785-D8A3-4724-8046-53509651C310.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Mine isn’t exactly car related. I been planning on putting up a pole barn for about 2 years now. I’ve spent a couple of weeks getting the site ready and waiting on the weather to corporate as well as the concrete company. It rained yesterday so the concrete company showed up today and got the piers dug, inspected and pored. They got the gravel all leveled out and compacted. Formed up for the pad and will be back on Monday to pore it. Also got the barn delivered. So I’m waiting on the contractor to tell me when he is planning on starting. 
ive also been fighting a battery issue in my ladder truck. The batteries had been dead and after an overnight charging it started right up. I tried to start it the next week and they were dead again. Monday I pulled the batteries out and charged and then tested them individually. One of the six was bad. Inked up a replacement and got them installed. I’m planning on using it to help put up the pole barn    Tomorrow I need to help the wife most of the day

11 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Mine isn’t exactly car related. I been planning on putting up a pole barn for about 2 years now. I’ve spent a couple of weeks getting the site ready and waiting on the weather to corporate as well as the concrete company. It rained yesterday so the concrete company showed up today and got the piers dug, inspected and pored. They got the gravel all leveled out and compacted. Formed up for the pad and will be back on Monday to pore it. Also got the barn delivered. So I’m waiting on the contractor to tell me when he is planning on starting. 
ive also been fighting a battery issue in my ladder truck. The batteries had been dead and after an overnight charging it started right up. I tried to start it the next week and they were dead again. Monday I pulled the batteries out and charged and then tested them individually. One of the six was bad. Inked up a replacement and got them installed. I’m planning on using it to help put up the pole barn    Tomorrow I need to help the wife most of the day

Mike, start a thread on you barn. Posting details of issues, good and bad are helpful to others planning on their own shop. Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Mike, start a thread on you barn. Posting details of issues, good and bad are helpful to others planning on their own shop. Ed

Yes post all the details you can.  What you had to hire out, what you were able to do yourself,  how you saved money or how you would do things differently when you get closer to the end.  Sizes and costs of each phase are helpful as well.  I built a large "shed" and detailed it on a thread on here.  It's still not done,  but wow, how things add up even doing the work yourself.  It's helpful as when I was looking to build my project very few guys did much detail especially in the size and how that relates to usable space (as in what it will fit) Costs are super helpful as well.  Few threads here or elsewhere I looked gave costs , especially of each phase so someone planning a project doesn't have a real cost in hand until they really start building it.  Estimates are great but rarely are they correct and there are always the extras we forget to factor in.  I wouldn't doubt I have over $1000 in nails and screws in my project. That flashing tape and sill seal for windows you need to use in some locations as well probably totaled another $500.  All stuff few guys take into account when building.  I think I spent close to $500 on rolls of metal flashing I bent up myself to flash doors, windows and above my band board all the way around. 

If you think of it,  throw a link on this thread when you get one started and good luck. 

Here is a link to my thread.  A few others have also posted threads on their builds.  lots of great ideas out there. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Sighting in my pellet gun, we have been over run with iguanas...........filthy animals that make a mess the same size as a Great Dane.

My neighbor shot one last week........17 pounds. They cooked it, down here they call the big ones chicken of the trees. I had it for lunch one day in Honduras..........actually not bad. 

• Haha 1

Yesterday being Tuesday meant that the "Tuesday" crew was out and about working on a variety of projects at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum. The "Tuesday Crew" a a group of elderly gentlemen who volunteer every Tuesday to at the museum. They are a wonderful group to work with.

There was a a lot going on and it was a magnificent Spring day.

Herb and Lew and I got the Fairbanks-Morse 3 hp Model Z running. This was donated to the museum last  Fall. Thanks to Reg Clement (Clement's Starter & Alternator in Carmel, Maine) for bringing the magneto back to life. The engine is setup with a Fairbanks-Morse pump for display. Unfortunately the drive gear on the engine is  cracked so we can't run the pump. Eventually we may set it up with a flat belt.

We have wanted to get the water temp. gauge working on the Lombard dump truck. Unfortunately there is no place on the block to screw in the probe so we made a fitting and cut that into the upper radiator hose. It might not be original but with a nearly irreplaceable engine we want to be safe rather than sorry. With the gauge working Herb and I took it for a cruise up the road and back - we got the old girl moving along in fourth gear at a breath taking 5.5 mph. It's aking to riding in a cement mixer with a bunch of nuts and bolts whirring around. It's suppose to top out at 8-10 mph but that would take a far braver and deafer person than me. Anyway, the temp. held solid at 150. The gauges are not original but they all work now and at least match. In additionLew got his beloved Cletrac up and running. It was repowered with a model "A" Ford engine which suits it well.

We also prepped and test ran the water powered sawmill after its long winter slumber. The Alwife are running in the stream and its an amazing sight!

Charlie and Ed had the rotary sawmill up and running so Herb shot a video for the virtual musem project.

All a good days work!

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Steve, what type of oil will you use in the shock absorbers?

Well Jeff, these are US made Bratton delicious which come pre sealed, supposedly for life.  I suspect Stipe makes them as they look machined vs. Stamped, and how many people can be making these things, right?  I hope to be bolting things back up tomorrow and Saturday, and take a shakedown ride sometime this weekend. 🙂

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Well Jeff, these are US made Bratton delicious which come pre sealed, supposedly for life.  I suspect Stipe makes them as they look machined vs. Stamped, and how many people can be making these things, right?  I hope to be bolting things back up tomorrow and Saturday, and take a shakedown ride sometime this weekend. 🙂

An illustrated road report would fit nicely in this posting......good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back I fabricated a face plate and knob to make a faux-American Bosch magneto switch out of a modern push/pull switch.

Yesterday I decided to try DIY nickel plating. Using and old battery charger for some electronic device that died a long time ago, nickel strips,

white vinegar and salt.  (I may have learned at least something in 8th grade science!)

Anyway, I think it came out half decent. There is a little flaking on one edge of the knob which I think is due to not having it clean enough.

IMG_0605.thumb.JPG.b5a184838c477737f5e33d53981ef772.JPG

IMG_0607.thumb.jpg.23fe4b9f39af3e426ed11d4d89639bcc.jpg

The other project was plating the surround for the new choke control. Again I had to modify the design to adapt to a modern product but it should work.

and look pretty darn close to the original.

The original knob was bakelite. In an effort to replicate it we used Garolite. Chris Rueby turned the knob for us. The Garolite is not an exact match - 

the paper shows through and makes it look more like wood. Eventually I may find something that will match better such as casting a phenolic resin

rod (I can mix the color) and turning it from that.

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.ed3842426cd409267410dccf726ea1e1.JPG

• Like 6

Nothing car related  and frankly quite depressed about the whole situation.

Things keep cropping up that I have no control over but need to be addressed.

At least I can say we are all healthy but...