Pre-1939 cars needed for Movie Shoot in MA

Kevin Quirk

On 1/27/2020 at 6:09 PM, JV Puleo said:

If you are trying to make this look believable keep in mind that cars had a very short life expectancy - much shorter than today. In almost any 1930 photograph you will not see anything older than about 1925...maybe 1920 if it's a rural area and poor. If its 1930 anything that was contemporary with WWI was hopelessly obsolete.

JV, Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

If so could you provide me some quarter angel and interior shots, you email address, phone number and where the car is located? You can post them here, PM me or use my email address - kevin@p3rents.com. I will continue to fill in the blanks as the information flows into me.

Thanks

On 1/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bhigdog said:

It's a movie!............Bob

BhigDog,

Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

If so could you provide me some quarter angel and interior shots, you email address, phone number and where the car is located? You can post them here, PM me or use my email address - kevin@p3rents.com. I will continue to fill in the blanks as the information flows into me.

Thanks

On 1/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, Buick35 said:

I would love to. I just got finished restoring my 1935 Buick sedan.The only problem is that I am in Florida,East central.If anything like this comes up close to the Orlando area please let me know, or if your company wants to ship it there and back.Thanks,Greg.

IMG_20191015_150107_hdr.jpg

Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

Thanks

On 1/27/2020 at 10:36 PM, Randy white said:

I have 2 cars 1929 Studebaker and a 1930 model a we might be interested if the conditions are right . we reside near st louis

Randy, Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

Thanks

On 1/28/2020 at 6:41 AM, edinmass said:

Just food for thought.........since less than 10 percent of the population under fifty can drive a stick, and less than one percent under forty, who is going to drive the cars? It’s plainly clear the person asking has no clue as to what is and isn’t appropriate for making a movie  relating to dates and correct vehicles that will historically be correct. As far as authentic WWI trucks, and military appropriate vehicles........they practically don’t exist , never mind in running condition. Trying to find them in Massachusetts is about impossible, having lived there for fifty years, I can only think of one appropriate vehicle that could be used in the “truck” category............the poster needs to explain in much better detail.........first question...........what is the budget for the film.......if it isn’t 30-50 million, then they are shooting it with cell phone camera and it’s a internet or straight to dvd type movie...........

Good morning Ed. Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

Thanks

On 1/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, broker-len said:

I am in Southern NJ   ---  the filming is in Massachusetts   ---  they will transport the car from here to there      I know I will get paid but if they damage the car is it really worth it ?????  what happens if it will not start for one reason or another    seems to me the owner would have to be there to take care of any problems that may come up

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

If so could you provide me some quarter angel and interior shots, you email address, phone number and where the car is located? You can post them here, PM me or use my email address - kevin@p3rents.com. I will continue to fill in the blanks as the information flows into me. ** Also in answer to your question regarding any issues with the car, yes, we will have people on set an all shoot days.

Thanks

On 1/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, Roger Walling said:

I called to ask the details.

He stated that the filming would take place over 2 or 3 months.

To me, this would be too long to be without the car. No telling what could happen to it in that time period. It takes place west of Boston, I forgot the city.

A friend did have his car in a couple pics and he was present all the time. They even paid for meals and a hotel. It only took a few days. One car was damaged and they wrote out a check that day for the damages.

Roger,

Thanks

On 1/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Trulyvintage said:

Roger,

Did it seem they wanted vehicles for the entire time ?

If so - I wonder where and how the vehicles would actually be stored ?

If they don’t use your vehicle for filming - it sounds like you don’t get paid.

I know this subject has been covered here in the forums before - but It seems the only way your car won’t be damaged is if you accompany it  to location and stay with it.

Otherwise it is just another movie prop ....

Jim

Truly Vintage. Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

Thanks

I'm not all that far from Mass. Getting there would be only a two or three hour trip. However, No one drives my 1915 Buick Roadster but me. If something breaks or gives up I need to be the one in the drivers seat. Same goes with my well patinaed 1925 White Truck. And no, I won't just leave them there. In fact, If it is a genuine professional antique vehicle mechanic/ driver you need, I'd be the guy to hire. Dandy Dave!   

• Like 1

Good morning, Kevin. My cars and I are on the West Coast. That, and the fact that I am elderly, disabled, and in deteriorating ill health, makes my participation impossible. I will email you some pictures of my 2 Cadillacs, (1924 & 1927), only to show you the colors these cars were originally. I respect and admire what you are doing. Having had other newer cars and trucks in movies, I wish I could have been of more assistance to you.

I hope you are contacting every chapter of every appropriate car club within a reasonable radius of Boston. There should be sufficient Model A and T Fords of all body types to use in a range of time periods the movie covers. The population density of these and other old cars in the Northeast US, should be very aggressively targeted. Perhaps by contacting owners through top down club structure if possible.

Obviously you have a difficult job ahead of you in the time frame necessary. I wish you the best of luck.   -   Carl 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Quirk said:

BhigDog,

Thanks

No, thank you.............Bob

Kevin, I sent you a private message a few days ago.  Thank you for your offer, but currently I have commitments that can not be altered. It’s unfortunate as I have several cars in Massachusetts at this time. I made recommendations to you in the message......please open it and read it. It will provide you what you need to secure exactly what you need. My direct contact information was also included. Good luck. Ed

No, thank you.  My toys range from 106 back to 116 years old.  Your scripts probably don't envision them being driven by an 83-year-old geezer, and nobody but this geezer is going to drive them.  I answered your original post only because the dating requirements you specified were so vague, I thought those with available cars might want a better idea of what you were seeking.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

2 hours ago, Kevin Quirk said:

JV, Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car(s) available to the movie shoot in Mass?

Thanks

Thanks for the offer. If I had something appropriate I would be but I only have one old car - a 1910 Mitchell - and it is VERY dismantled.

Back in the 70s I was in the Robert Redford version of The Great Gatsby with my 1926 Cadillac (4 years too new for the book by the way) but the director wasn't that fussy and was more interested in what people thought the cars looked like than what they really would look like in 1922. If I remember correctly, there were only about 4 cars that were actually of the correct vintage.

9 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

I'm beginning to think that this thread has gone dead.

Mike in Colorado

Mike,

It has gone anything but dead. I apologize. I have been on a shoot in Brooklyn for the several days. It is very much alive. Stay in touch and let me know what you've got available.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:28 PM, broker-len said:

What is the pay for the days your car is used  ?   I can't see anyone just giving them their car ---most people would want to accompany it---who pays for lodging ????   when does shooting start as I am in NJ  when would my car be picked up ?

Because these are period cars the pay will be very fair. You are, of course, more than welcome to accompany your car. The studio would prefer that the owners actually drive the cars in the shoot.

I have an inquiry about accommodations at the shoot. I haven't heard back yet. As soon as I do I will post the answer for everyone.

The shoot is, CURRENTLY, set for Mid-April and to run intermittently through June. These dates are subject to change. As of now the script is still in review. But they have secured a couple of locations (Of which I am not at liberty to disclose at this time.)

Your car would be picked up at your home or our Hackettstown, NJ offices. What is your preference?

1 hour ago, Kevin Quirk said:

Mike,

It has gone anything but dead. I apologize. I have been on a shoot in Brooklyn for the several days. It is very much alive. Stay in touch and let me know what you've got available.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I know I'm a long way off, but my offer still stands.

Mike in Colorado

2 hours ago, Kevin Quirk said:

Mike,

Can you send me some pics of the '31 Chrysler. It appears that thaat is the only one in your collection that would fit the period we're working in.

Kevin,

I posted 3 last Friday (above), but here are a few more.

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_47b9a641fc.jpg

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_91830f7e30.jpg

P_20181122_110337.jpg

medium_1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_bbd7442ba3.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

All over the place... this is my experience.  I have only been in 2 major pictures, 2009 Public Enemies and 2011 Superman Man of Steel.  I was on set for 9 days, they used the sound from one of my cars driving.  They used my 1933 as a background car in one 5 second shot.  We spent a day on Superman, they cut that scene completely.  Long days, sun up till sun set, all 9 days, it is a lot of standing around.  What they do well is make you feel like a movie star.  I always asked for a hotel room, they usually have blocks of rooms rented at a local hotel, not a big deal for them, but nice for me, especially the "sun up" days.

If you are a "background car" figure $200 a day maybe

If you are a "driving car" $250 plus $75 for the driver

"STAR CARS" get all the money $1500 plus a day, sky is the limit if they want your car badly.

The big productions seem to just buy the "star cars", Grand Torino was an ebay purchase less issues with owners that way.  Public enemies had a full crew just for the cars, they bought about 10 cars and a motorcycle for the movie, they gave the motorcycle to Johnny Depp after the filming.

Image result for gran torino car movie

You're kinda right and wrong on a point or two.

The studio will buy the car(s) if they plan on doing damage. If the plan is to use a car in a series they MAY buy it or they may rent it on a long term basis. The cars are insured from the studio at 100%, no deductible or limits.

If cars are period cars (Greater than 20 -25 years old) they pretty much get the same rate regardless of whether they are driving or not. On this shoot that we're working on the owners are requested to drive their cars. Due to the idea that they are rather fickle.

Rates for driving may vary from region to region based on SAG rates. 

You are certainly right about sit around and wait. John Cleese  once mentioned  that he doesn't get paid to act, he gets paid to wait.

But, yes, they do feed you very well.

2 hours ago, broker-len said:

I live in NJ and am considering the time away from home and costs I will incur  and loss from days they don't use your car    in all the postings have yet to read -------JUST WHAT DO THEY PAY A DAY FOR USING YOUR CAR IN THE MOVIE ?????

For a period correct car, of which you have, you can anticipate a per diem of about 4 to 500. Possibly more if the car is extremely rare and special.

If I remember correctly, yes, SAG sets the rates for the drivers...but not the cars?  I was always the driver, bad part is you always need to be in shouting distance, they never look for you, one missed cue and they push your car to the side, and you are done.

Was your experience with the rates the same?

I am wearing the fedora, waiting, my 1929 Graham-Paige is on the right, lots of fun driving that day.  Don't forget to ask for free gas, it was over $4 a gallon then, and they filled my tank, I think it holds 20 gallons....

image.png.650d9b24e3bebbcfe98a4c994319bd9e.png

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

Our business is movie cars. 

The studio does not set the price for the cars. But they do have a solid idea of what a car will be worth to a show.

When we have cars on set we always have personnel on had to move the vehicle if need be. 

They won't toss you off set once they are using your car, but if no one is around when they wan to move it they will either move it themselves, with a qualified driver. But if you're off set when they want you, you better have a cell and some running sneakers. Time is money!

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the planned movie shoot in the MASS area.

First of all, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.

All of the vehicles provided by you have been cataloged and presented to the studio heads for their review and selection process.

This is a fast track show so things will start to percolate pretty quickly.

I'm told that the film start date should be around April 13.

That doesn't mean that your car will automatically start on that date, but around there.

We're still figuring out the per diem rates. Hero cars (Those that will be driven, most likely by you, the owner.) will command a higher rate.

Cars that are also more rare than say a Model A or T will be paid a higher fee, regardless of being driven or not.

Luxury cars, of the era, will be paid a higher rate also. 

There will most definitely be a private warehouse in the Boston area where the cars will be housed during the shoots.

The studio wants the cars maintained in the warehouse so that they can count on the car being available when they need it.

There will be a MINIMUM payment per car. Assume that rate paid to you in $300 per day. 

If you car only works for say, three days you will be paid the minimum amount. 

That hasn't been determined yet how many days will be considered a minimum, But for these purposes, say it's a six day minimum and your car only works for three days. You will be paid the six day minimum. If it works ten days, you'll be paid the ten days.

Certificates of insurance will be issued in advance of the filming.

That's about all we have at this time. Please feel free to use this forum to ask any questions. That way everyone is getting the same information and I'm not repeating myself four or five times.

Hi Kevin,my offer still stands of letting you use my car for free as long as you pay for the shipping from Florida (32927) and back and if somebody will be there to accept the delivery. I was quoted about $1000 each way for an enclosed trailer.Please let me know. Greg with 35 Buick.321 877-2497 or 321 514-6904 cell. Have a wonderful day.

IMG_20191015_145903_hdr (1).jpg

Another bit of an update and a request for someone's expertise.

Expertise first. The studio has changed the shoot a little bit. Minor, but important.

Originally I said we needed vehicles from 1939 and back to the start of WW1.

That has changed to vehicles from 1933 and back to the start of WW1.

In the attched picture is a 1934 Ford Model A Roadster Pick-Up.

Can someone tell me exatly what the difference is between a 1933 and a 1934?

Not concerned with under chassis, engine bay or drive line.

The concern is if there is a difference on the outside or interior that would be visible to a relatively trained eye.

Regarding the other update is that they will begin choosing vehicles within two weeks and as the feeed me the information I will be contact those folks through the forum and personally.

I've also been asked to get more photos.

Full sides, front, back and interiors.

If you have them, please email them to me at kevin@p3rents.com.

If not, please try to take some. 

If that is not possible, then please try to find stock phots that are identical to your vehicle. Don't worry about stock photos being the wrong exterior color. We will use the photos you've already supplied and we will indentify that certain pics are stock photos.

As for interiors please specify colors, material (leather or cloth) and other differences between you vehicle the the stock photos.

Thank you very much for your help, expertise and time.

Kevin

1934 Model A pickup.jpg

The step between the cab and cowl denotes 28-29; 30-31 don't have a step.  

This is a 1934 Ford

Image result for 1934 ford truck

Wish the shoot was closer, I have 3 cars that would work for you.  1928 Graham-Paige 610, 1929 Graham-Paige 827 and a 1933 Graham 64 all 4 door sedans.  Doing the movies is a lot of work but it gets under your skin.  When I was on set everyone knew the "cars were the stars".

• 7 months later...