Frank Tate

Help...YBlock Engine Rebuild Problems

The crank was ground 20 thou and the new rod bearings were matched to the crank journals.  This is a basket case with a 59 block and 55 heads, water pump, etc. that came to me in pieces.  So, I didn't look at the rods and note the numbers until I got them back with the new pistons from the machine shop and I started assembly.  The rods and caps have matching numbers, but I have three #1 rods and two #5, a #6 and #7 and #3.  I am checking with the machinist and will see what he says regarding the shiny spots on the bearings and the scratch on the journal.  New bearings maybe and polish the crank and I try again.

Check crank thrust also. The crank should turn EASILY in place with nothing else attached. Ring drag can be quite heavy. Be sure to check your rods are straight. Cam should also turn easily in place. 

Cam thrust is within spec and it turns nice and smooth.  I will check the thrust today and will talk to the machinist that did all the work, but the crank turns very smooth without the rods and pistons attached.   The machinist looked at the pics I sent him and said they didn't look too bad.  So, I feel a little better.  lol

With respect to my comment to check the con rod caps for filing by a previous owner if this has been done it would only take one to cause the binding on the crank as you describe. It appears you have rods from a number of different engines eg three No 1's and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone in an attempt to extend the life of a worn engine has damaged the caps to extend the life (briefly) of the engine.  I'm sure your engine rebuilder will identify the problem whatever it is.