Help Identify Pre 1910 Car

VintageLiterature

Just now, VintageLiterature said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Very much appreciated.

I acquired this photo from Germany so it does make sense that it would be a European vehicle (though always possible it could still be North American). I'll update here if I find anything concrete

Post that on PreWarCar.com it is based in the Netherlands an read world wide. Bob 

• Like 1

Didn't Vauxhall radiators always feature a pair of distinctive scallops in the top tank ?  I know little about pre 30 - 98 models but even the "Prince Henry " models all seem to have them. I think you are on the right track with a British car, just not so sure about Vauxhall.

Greg in Canada

1912_Vauxhall_Prince_Henry.jpg

Don't know if that style of radiator existed from day one or not.  The Price Henry edition was really neat and was a special car from the day it was introduced. 

Terry

Another possibility might be a Metallurgique  from Belgium. About 1910 they have a considerable resemblance to the mystery car, but I am not sure about the chain drive.  They had quite a bit of sales success in the U.K. so that might be a later re- body with a British flavor.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Mike, since a number of people have sent in their guesses, I'll do the same with the attached photo suggestions.  #1 is a '15 Scripps-Booth Rocket; the radiator is a good comparison.  #2 is a '21 AGA Type A touring.  #3 is a '18 Biddle roadster, and #4 is a '20 Biddle Rosemont Model 121 touring.  #5, for what it is worth, is an ad for a Pathfinder touring that probably dates from 1916.

001 16 Scripps-Booth Rocket.jpg

002 21 AGA Type A 6-16 PS Phaeton 01-01.jpg

003 18 Biddle Roadster.jpg

004 20 Biddle Rosemont Model 121 in WB.jpg

005 Pathfrinder Logo.jpg

On 1/6/2020 at 7:23 AM, 1912Staver said:

Another possibility might be a Metallurgique  from Belgium. About 1910 they have a considerable resemblance to the mystery car, but I am not sure about the chain drive.  They had quite a bit of sales success in the U.K. so that might be a later re- body with a British flavor.

Greg in Canada

Here is the Metallurgique in the ACD Museum.

Craig

12_Metallurgique.jpg

Had another guess suggested - possibly a Darracq -

I've not found an exact match for the photo, but that radiator style appeared early on their racers.  With many of these early cars being built individually, am wondering if our trying to match it to existing photos of passenger cars might be a problem.  Looking at chassis details as best I can on the photo, I'm inclined to suggest it "could" be a Darracq.

Terry

• Like 1

Wonder if the car has a lost oil system with the tank on the side of the frame. First thought was it was for oiling the chain's but the lines seem to go toward the engine compartment. Dandy Dave! 

• 2 months later...

This photo has continued to haunt me!  I am looking at this 1907 Minerva and can see the similar radiator, but there are still differences, and the photo in question is a chain-drive while the photo of this Minerva isn't.  Still, knowing how early race cars might have been put together from various bits and pieces, I'm wondering if positively assigning a specific make of automobile to this might be an impossible task?   I can say "Minerva based" race car but even that might be a stretch.  Come on folks, let's not give up so easily.  Any more thoughts?

Terry

Minerva gagnante du Circuit des Ardennes 1907-  Moore et Brabazon - DSCN0236.jpg

Minerva racer 1907.jpg

• Thanks 1

Metallurgique cars all had their signature V radiator from 1907, but the top tank was composed of flat planes, with just a small radius at the front below the filler cap. The subject car appears to have some roundness to the top tank. The radiator in the above photo looks close, but not the rest of the car.

I have been fortunate enough to get very close to a Biddle. Had my hands on it quite a bit. worked on it a little bit (restored by very good friends of mine!), sat in it once. Although a bit similar, nothing about the OP car appears to be Biddle.

I have also been up close and personal with a couple Scripps-Booth cars. They are tough ones. Their history is quite choppy, ownership and management changes, numerous distinctive models ranging from moderately large cars down to near cycle cars. I think most Scripps-Booth cars had a drive shaft to the rear end. Maybe one of the small model cycle-type cars had chain drive? Although the radiator on the OP car looks more like a Scripps-booth than anything else so longer mentioned? Nothing about the rest of the car looks like one to me.

The license plate has an English or European look to it. That opens a lot of options for cars most of us on this side of the pond are not familiar with. ANd it could very well be an assemblage of pieces from a few cars. Whatever it was? I really like it.