1935 Pontiac 4dr. 6

I’m no Pontiac expert, but I think the fastback makes it a bit more valuable than the trunk models.  Does it run?  What’s the interior like? Are the floors solid?  Is the wood solid in the doors and body?  The condition of the wood will make a huge difference in value.  I don’t think you will get more than three grand for it.  You may find just the right guy who loves Pontiacs, who knows.  I don’y even want to guess the bill for chroming that waterfall grill.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It started up once upon a time.

but now sits lifeless 

everything seems solid I’m not an expert either. I’m looking at getting 2000 out of it. Just enough to recover storage costs this last year. There is interest in it though since it’s complete. Hopefully someone will give it new life. Thank you for the time you gave to get back to me. 

35-2109   6cyl engine    Has a 6cyl grill badge     Hood ornament is a from a 1936 Pontiac 6cyl     Right rear tail light and front fender lights are an option for the 6cyl cars, 8cyl cars were equipped with these.   Is there any bumper guards on the front or rear?(can`t tell in the picture) If they are the Little Indians, that`s another option for 6cyl and 8cyl cars, these are a one year item only. Is the car in Washington state?

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Yes, specifically where in Washington ? Bloo of forum fame here cruises a '36 Pont' out of Wenatchee. I bounce back and forth between Seattle and E'burg. Lots of other Washington forum folk. Maybe we can help you avoid being taken advantage of this time. Sadly, I know only too well how that feels.    -   Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

On 1/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, C Carl said:

Yes, specifically where in Washington ? Bloo of forum fame here cruises a '36 Pont' out of Wenatchee. I bounce back and forth between Seattle and E'burg. Lots of other Washington forum folk. Maybe we can help you avoid being taken advantage of this time. Sadly, I know only too well how that feels.    -   Carl 

Gig Harbor area. 

On 1/2/2020 at 6:24 PM, pont35cpe said:

35-2109   6cyl engine    Has a 6cyl grill badge     Hood ornament is a from a 1936 Pontiac 6cyl     Right rear tail light and front fender lights are an option for the 6cyl cars, 8cyl cars were equipped with these.   Is there any bumper guards on the front or rear?(can`t tell in the picture) If they are the Little Indians, that`s another option for 6cyl and 8cyl cars, these are a one year item only. Is the car in Washington state?

I don’t understand exactly what you are saying. The original title I saw 1935. The title has since been lost but I do confirm it’s a 35. Proof is another story. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Farawayfriend said:

I don’t understand exactly what you are saying. The original title I saw 1935. The title has since been lost but I do confirm it’s a 35. Proof is another story. 

It's a 1935. It has Suicide doors on the front (1936 doesn't). The headlights are mounted on the fenders (1936 mount on the grille shell). Also the grill shell has a thick area behind the grille (1936 hood goes almost all the way to the grille). It's a 1935 Deluxe Six I believe, or it wouldn't have the parking lights.

The hood ornament is indeed for a 1936 Six.

EDIT: Here is a 1935, missing the 1935 hood ornament and a few other things. It has the fender lights, making it probably a deluxe, but you might have been able to get them on a standard at extra cost, not sure about that.

1935_(%3F)_Pontiac_(32397444060).jpg

And here is a 1936. No 1936s had fender lights. Note how far the top panels of the hood go toward the grille compared to the 1935, and that the headlights are mounted on the grille shell. The 1936 6cyl hood ornament is shown here, but like the one on my car, the ring around the stylized bust of Chief Pontiac has been broken off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22495&d=1286

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Farawayfriend, I have some questions about the car if you could help me out. My dad took his apart in 1973. His dream was always to get this car done. He has some serious health issues and I’m trying to surprise him and do the car for him. Unfortunately I was 3yrs old when he took it apart so don’t quite remember how a couple things go together or operate. 🤣 

• 1 month later...

Can anyone here point me to any Information on Parts for a 1935 Pontiac Sport Coupe? I have one that I'm working on. I really need help with the Doors the wood is in Bad shape, wondering if anyone has info how to replace with steel parts? I know they don't have kits for these cars. It has the Fisher A Body.

• Like 1

Just an opinion based upon seeing several people attempt to replace wood framing with steel.

Making crude wood out of soft scraps to figure shapes and angles before trying to make the final wood is a fairly simple process. Trying to fit ,cut, weld and shape steel is a lot more work than almost anyone would expect. Usually, there are many minor issues where the steel framing doesn't quite fit. Trying to alter it becomes a lot more work than expected. 

I have seen several people begin to reframe old wood frame bodies with steel. None of them ever finished the task. It didn't work out how they expected, and reworking it just became worse and worse. Usually, by the time they give up, the body is so badly molested that nobody else will even try to fix it, and the whole project gets junked.

I have personally known dozens of people that re-wooded car bodies. I have done several simple ones myself!

Unfortunately, that kind of wood work is a dying art. Finding someone close by to give pointers and guidance may be very difficult. Too many of the experienced people have passed on in the past several years. However, the work isn't hard, and most of it can be sorted out by anyone with a good understanding of general mechanics and household repair.

A full woodshop would sure help. However, I have done a few simple bodies with common hand held Skill-type saws, saber/scroll saws, and a drill along with basic hand tools. More recent years, I acquired a beat up Chinese made steel band saw which helped with the cars I did a few years ago. I also recently got a used real wood band saw which does better cuts faster. I got the band saw at a moving sale for cheap, did a few minor repairs to it to make it useable. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...