Pierce limousine and Packard LeBaron prewar cars in postwar era

Walt G

Ed:  The Bob Bahre collection, Paris Hill, ME.  Great place to visit, been there a couple of times.  

I found this picture set of some of his cars here:  

Bob Bahre Car Collection

The Packard shows up a few pictures in.

The house wasn't too shabby:  https://www.unionleader.com/news/homes/ex-speedway-owner-s-home-goes-for-a-cool-million/article_60b13f24-546d-5dd9-a809-d1c3fadb7d56.html

10 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Ed:  The Bob Bahre collection, Paris Hill, ME.  Great place to visit, been there a couple of times.  

I found this picture set of some of his cars here:  

Bob Bahre Car Collection

The Packard shows up a few pictures in.

The house wasn't too shabby:  https://www.unionleader.com/news/homes/ex-speedway-owner-s-home-goes-for-a-cool-million/article_60b13f24-546d-5dd9-a809-d1c3fadb7d56.html

Bob and Sandra live in the Hannibal Hamlin house.   HH was vice president under Lincoln.    They are ridiculously generous to clubs and tours showing the collection.

IMG_5883.jpg

308900a0.jpg

• Like 1

GREAT photo of the Peugeot!  I immediately thought , hey this could be the line of cars waiting to enter the show field at Hershey if the weather were bad one year and very cold!

thanks so much for the contribution of the period photographs. Pre war or post war , to see the images of cars most of us have not seen before is amazing. They could fill a whole magazine .

thank you

Seeing all of these on a dreary cloudy cold day here on long island is just a great way to brighten up the day.

Walt

I have a lot more of them. Most are from a photo album kept by the late Alden Handy of Cambridge, Massachusetts. I never knew him but I worked on his LHD PII about 30 years ago when it belonged to his nephew. That gentleman sold the car but he gave me his uncle's collection of car books and his photo album. I still have most of the books, some of which have been out of print for 60 years now. I did share the album with David Greenlees of The Old Motor and he published many of the Handy photos on his web site but David doesn't do cars at car shows and Handy was present at the opening of the Lars Anderson Museum in 1949 (I have the original ticket, which he kept). My feeling is that most of the cars at those very early old car meets were totally unrestored, originals so I think they are still relevant to a venue like this.

The Russians had a Motor Transport Corp recruited from civilians who could drive (or their chauffeurs) and utilizing what had been civilian cars before the war. I have a memoir by an officer who served briefly with them before he went to a Caucasian irregular cavalry regiment. His description of the muster of cars for army service is very interesting and I'll try to find it and transcribe it. The old, pre-revolutionary Russian Army is one of my specialties.

jp

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

While in Germany in 1955 a US service man needed a part for a ‘old’ Mecerdes Benz that he was driving. The wrecking yard owner had a beautiful 1940 Mercedes convertible that he would not sell, but he directed the airman to a ‘large touring car’ that was for sale in Austria. Turns out it was a 1929 Horch. He bought it and began driving it back to his home near the air base, but he was stopped by the German Highway Patrol and was told that it was illegal to drive a car with a swastika on the license plate. However it seemed to be legal to tow a car with a swastika plate, so with his wife assisting, it was towed behind his Jeep station wagon. Sadly he said that he didn’t own it long, it broke down with engine problems and he eventually sold it to a wrecking yard.

The car was gone but he did save the title. 

Horch cropped.jpg

Horch title_0003.jpg

Horch title_0004.jpg

Horch title_0002.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

PII Henley roadster parked on a street in Cambridge..c. 1949

1286074783_PIIHenley1.thumb.jpg.feb0613e0c64e74a5719eb5995188627.jpg

Wonder where it is now....................🤫

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DLynskey said:

There weren't many classics around East Tennessee in the 1950's, but here is a Rolls Royce in Chattanooga's 4th of July parade in 1957.

894808994_RollsRoyce.thumb.jpg.6b55d00d0886568a76d24cb4b250867d.jpg

Don

A PI Ascot. It looks as if it has drum headlights so early 29 or earlier.

2 hours ago, DLynskey said:

There weren't many classics around East Tennessee in the 1950's, but here is a Rolls Royce in Chattanooga's 4th of July parade in 1957.

894808994_RollsRoyce.thumb.jpg.6b55d00d0886568a76d24cb4b250867d.jpg

Don

Only 2 million in 2013...............

D90E7429-724F-4C5F-A763-084E97380231.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Springfield Rolls Royce cars can be very confusing, and unless you have had extensive exposure to them, it’s very easy to confuse different models. I wouldn’t even try and ID a closed car without a book in front of me, and I was born and raised in Springfield. 

• Like 1

Here's another. The note on the back of the picture says it's a Ghost. If it is, it must be a very late LHD car that was given the factory "updating" treatment. Or, I guess it could be one of the rebodied "used" cars they did in order to sell traded in limos and old fashioned looking closed cars. I think the picture was taken at MIT.

990981390_SGRoadster.thumb.jpg.3966e733ea48e7f68b4c3f7115258380.jpg

• Like 2

There are some fantastic photos in this thread. I need to start digging into my photo archive, because I have a photo of a very distant relative that shows a Cord driving down the street in the background. When (If, I have thousands upon thousands of old family photos; I'm from a long line of photographers) I  find it I will post it here.

• Like 1

I can't believe that when I started this last Sunday afternoon it would be going on this long with regular contributions from all of you that are letting all of us enjoy the period ( even if not of the exact period the car was built in) vehicles when they were in use on the road. Just so many amazing images . Thanks again everyone, sincerely appreciated!!!

If I have the time I may start another post of additional period photographs  similar to this one - if you have a good idea for a title please personal message me . Perhaps "Of the Era, Pre and postwar images" ???

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Joe,  given the door cut and flared fenders isn't it a Derby speedster?

I've seen an Ascot with those fenders but who is to tell if they had been changed at some point. I only remember this because my boss at the time owned it and had fiberglass reproductions made of the fenders. One was crunched (on purpose) making the Robert Redford Great Gatsby movie...obviously he wasn't going to let them do that to the original fender. But I remember him putting the fake fenders on an Avon. Shortly after that I quit - I decided that I liked him too much to work for him.

EDIT: The Ascot I remember was not the original body on that chassis so anything was possible.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, edinmass said:

One of the six Beverly’s built.........if memory serves me correct. Notice the lack of “junk” also known as accessories that are NOT on the car.......no lights, mirrors, side mount covers, mascot............notice also no chrome wire wheels. Car has great lines and an excellent look. Today there would probably be a ton of trash bolted on it. 

May be just me, but those wheels do not look chrome. The spokes look like they could be, but in my opinion, they are not chrome either.

• Like 2