Sign in to follow this  
Bhigdog

My new "smart" Jeep

If you're looking at the touch screen while driving longer than you need to glance at a button then you're using the system wrong. They are fundamentally different systems than cars were before and superior in so many ways. Volvo offers 10 year unlimited mile warranties on used cars I imagine others do as well. That's for all the electronics too.

1 hour ago, md murray said:

. . . And yes I know virtually everyone on this forum can share a personal story with us about some great 10 or 15 yr old car that they either had or presently own that hasn't given them any problems---But I'm referring to these new vehicles currently being offered with the spaceship dash boards. . .

My 2004 Prius had what was at the time a "spaceship dashboard". Up to the 14 year mark with over 200K miles when it was hit by a truck and totaled, it gave me fewer issues than the '82 Plymouth or '91 Jeep I had before it. I got 186K miles out of the Plymouth and about 200K miles out of the Jeep too but they both had many more things break, both minor and major, than the Prius ever did. Averaged 45 MPG over the life time of the Prius too. If it hadn't been totaled, I'd still be driving it today.

56 minutes ago, Frantz said:

Volvo offers 10 year unlimited mile warranties on used cars I imagine others do as well. That's for all the electronics too.

Please correct me if I am wrong but was under the impression on a used it's 10 yr from the original in-service date. -So yeah, like 7/8 actual years for the new buyer. But whatever.

While we are on the topic of radios why are the clearest stations NOT in English? Bob 

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

If you're looking at the touch screen while driving longer than you need to glance at a button then you're using the system wrong. They are fundamentally different systems than cars were before and superior in so many ways. Volvo offers 10 year unlimited mile warranties on used cars I imagine others do as well. That's for all the electronics too.

It’s not necessary to look at a button or knob.  You just reach and feel it.  You never need to take your eyes off the road.  You push or turn it and it does what it’s supposed to do the same way every time.  With a touch screen the “buttons” all look and feel the same. 

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

before i lay out 30 plus grand for a new hi tech vehicle, i'm reminded of the GM ccc system. sure it was radically different from things on the engine that a human could diagnose and repair. about a month or 2 into trying to repair that dreaded check engine light, we discovered that most of the "problems" in the system were due to the self diagnosing part of it. and now you tell me that dam Hal 9000 computor wants to over ride my brakes and steering too?

I live on a typical two lane rural road. When I rented the 2019 Escape and drove it home, the steering wheel vibrated at times. Even seemed that the steering wheel moved by itself. 😲

Then I discovered that was a new feature. The vehicle saw the line down the center of the road, and when I crossed it,( yes, like my neighbors I drive down the middle!), the vibrating steering wheel was to let me know when I approched the line, and then it corrected the steering to make sure I didn't cross the line. 

Once I knew what was going on, I had to show my wife how the vehicle would self correct going down the interstate. She did not share my amazement, as if you turn the wheel sort of sharp at 60, the correction is also sharp!  A wild ride!   "STOP THAT" was spoken several times during the trip!😁

8 hours ago, md murray said:

I have tried like hell to keep an I Phone past the 3 yr mark and it just doesn't work-either breaks or becomes quirky. I recently bought some very expensive appliances and was told that I should be realistic in my expectations and understand that they will need to be replaced in roughly five years. How long exactly can we realistically expect to own and operate a new automobile these days? 7 or maybe 8 years if we are lucky? Most automobile manufacturers wont even sell you a total electrical warranty past 7 yrs. ---And yes I know virtually everyone on this forum can share a personal story with us about some great 10 or 15 yr old car that they either had or presently own that hasn't given them any problems---But I'm referring to these new vehicles currently being offered with the spaceship dash boards. The point I'm trying to make is that as prices go up we as consumers should expect longer time horizons of ownership to spread these costs out over and I'm afraid the industry is cutting us short. Rising costs and shorter trader cycles means that all the folks on here that I am sure are fundamentally opposed to leasing (including myself I might add) are all wet. It's beginning to not make sense mathematically to own anything and that's precisely what the manufacturers want.

Dealer tried to upsell me to an extended warrantee. One to cover everything including all the electronic geewhizz gadgets  was over $4,000. WTF? He explained that over a 60 month finance that it was not that expensive. Of course he didn't mention what the additional finance charges on that $4,000 for 60 months would be would be. When I told him I was paying cash he said he could knock off an additional $1000 if I financed it through Chrysler. Actually was a good deal. Only commitment was I had to make 4 monthly payments before paying it off with no penalty.  So I financed $10,000 of the total price. Made the first months payment a check for $9500 and are financing $500 over 3 more months for a total interest ding of $33 to get a $1000 discount. VooDoo financing. Only in the car dealer world. I'm sure I still got hosed one way or another though.........Bob

Bob.....if you bought a Chrysler.....YOU DID GET HOSED!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

When I told him I was paying cash he said he could knock off an additional $1000 if I financed it through Chrysler. Actually was a good deal. Only commitment was I had to make 4 monthly payments before paying it off with no penalty.

That, $500 of dealer options (a large portion goes to the salesman), and closing the deal on the last day of the month will get you the best deal in the house.

I am pretty receptive to technology, but rubbing fingers on screens just seems fidgety. I'll stick with the voice command on the BMW, an old one.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Bob.....if you bought a Chrysler.....YOU DID GET HOSED!

My dad felt the same way about Ford until his dying day. I have little or no brand loyalty, Ed. I've owned German, Jap, American, Korean, Italian and as far as I'm concerned everyone of them within a given price category are pretty much the same. Little more than an expensive commodity assembled from parts sourced from a common supplier, often non American,offering adequate quality at the lowest price...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I refuse to buy a new car.  I don't need any of the new features and I believe they were created so drivers can do anything other than the task at hand, and that is DRIVING THE CAR.

I especially like the new running light feature that some idiot thought would be a good feature on newer cars.  With this feature, some lights slightly dimmer then normal headlights come ON at the front of the car, but no lights are ON at the rear.   Who comes up with these ideas?

I leave for work when it is still dark and I can't tell you how many times I come up behind slower cars with no rear lights ON, but when you pass them they have some lights ON up front. .  Like I said, when you turn ON the running lights, only some front lights come on.  

In Pennsylvania you are required to have your lights ON when your windshield wipers are ON, the reason is so other drivers can see you easier.  Again it will be raining like H and here again people are turning ON their running lights and no rear lights are ON.  They must thing people that can't see them are only gong to run into the front of their car, so I better warn them.

Wonder what the GMC tailgate staircase adds to the cost of the truck?  The floor of the box is way too high, NO NEED for the 12inch clearance from top of tire to wheel well. Bob 

13 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wonder what the GMC tailgate staircase adds to the cost of the truck?  The floor of the box is way too high, NO NEED for the 12inch clearance from top of tire to wheel well. 

That tailgate is a part of a package bundle that is $4000–a big time cost.  Get this, many people can’t even use it because it hits the hitch insert when you try to put it down, damaging the paint and finish on the tailgate.  Big time error when designing it.  

You can’t use the step tailgate with a hitch in the receiver, and you don’t know it until you damage your tailgate.  They put a sticker on the side to tell people.  What a joke.

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/gmc-sierra-multipro-tailgate-hits-hitch-when-fully-extended-video/amp/

• Thanks 1

Our DRIVERS:

2000 Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4WD

2002 Suburban 2500 8.1L

2006 Avalanche 2500 8.1L 4WD

1995 Fleetwood Brougham

1995 Grand Marquis

No need for anything newer or more complex

I'm waiting for new cars to have a voice that says, "After careful analysis, it has been determined that you are not an essential component of this vehicle"...then it ejects you through the roof. 😄

Last new car I bought was a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (tow and trip car). Was the last design from the Daimler/Chrysler years and was eligible for every rebate known to man (public still wanted minivans then). Same chassis as a GL350. 300hp/5,000 lb tow rating (nearly the only option was the towing package). 24mpg at 70ish on 87 PON. Does what I tell it to and dead reliable. Shows what is happening on the DIC. Chrysler warranty is good until 2099 or 999,999 miles so I let them change the oil.

I like computer cars. Had scanners in ALDL days (1981- on). Have better scanners now (OBD-II). Been known to reprogram my cars, mostly to run cooler. Actually have several now,  Tech2Win is most cost effective for GM but I like the Autel DiagLink for multiple brands. Can display almost anything.

Also have an '11 Cad CTS Coupe (Catera Touring Sedan Coupe - about the only GM 2 door larger car left. OTOH if the wagon had 2 doors I would have bought that. ). Designed by Germans as a pseudo Track Day car. Staggered wheels and tires. I put the same size on all four and can rotate. Now has Android Auto on an 8" touch scream but I only need to know where one button is. The microphone. Is on the steering wheel. Can then tell it what I want it to do by voice. If don't want to be bothered can retract the screen and still get the GPS instructions over the squeakers. Don't care about radio, have over 500 albums on a micro SD card that fits in my phone. Available in all my cars along with handsfree telephony. Reads me text messages.

Have a friend with a 2018 Jeep Compass. She hates it. Stops for squirrels. Has been know to suddenly stop for no apparent reason (think it was a Walmart bag once). Has two batteries. Must remove negative terminal first/connect last or it carries on cranky.

Conclusion: there was a sweet spot ending around 2013 when you had the advantages of things like DOHC VVT but not the Big Brother effect. OTOH my '88 Reatta is a great road car and gets 27 mpg cruising all day. Doesn't have all the latest stuff and only 165 hp but just turn the AC on, hit the cruise and relax.

BTW there is one thing about modern cars I really do not understand: With Variable Valve Timing and FI, the torque bands no longer peak, now they run near flat from 1800 to 6500 rpm. So why do cars need 8-10 speed transmissions ? 5 or 6 is plenty. YWTK.

Astonishing how driver- unfriendly these modern touch screen computermobiles are. You wonder if the kids who conjured them up even have a driver's license. Airplanes ? I doubt REAL pilots have input in their design anymore over at The Pride of Chicago, The "Lazy B". I have been told down at the Apple store that many employees use iPad minis like this one I am constantly fighting with. Gotta wonder if the engineers who designed these clumsy things ever use them. If so, and I were their boss, I would fire the whole department. I know how to make them far easier and faster to use, but I am sick and tired of walking for nothing. They would have to reward me, but I am sure they would not. Paddle shift ? No, thank you. A proper shift gate for me, please. Oh ! And while you're at it, delete that computer which constantly monitors my driving technique, the better to second guess me, as does the arrogant device which has cost me so much time just to tap out this tirade.

Bitch, bitch, bitch,   -   CC 

Many private pilots I know (see Sun'n'Fun) have an iPad strapped to their leg.

Both my SLK320 and Jeep Grand Cherokee have the same console shifter - slap left for down and right for up. Nice in mountains. CTS have to push sideways then forward for up and back for down, almost useless. Have never even driven a car with flappy paddles.

ps ergonomics used to be a science.

pps gives "all thumbs" a whole new meaning.

Watched a car exiting the parking area of a fast food place at lunch today; and the engine cut off and restarted twice, as the driver waited for a break in traffic to pull out onto the street.

12 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

My dad felt the same way about Ford until his dying day. I have little or no brand loyalty, Ed. I've owned German, Jap, American, Korean, Italian and as far as I'm concerned everyone of them within a given price category are pretty much the same. Little more than an expensive commodity assembled from parts sourced from a common supplier, often non American,offering adequate quality at the lowest price...........Bob

Bob.....just having fun.......my father hated Fords also, and it's all I had in my rental fleet for years. Interestingly, having a very large modern repair shop, only one of my people ever drove a Chrysler product.........he was given it for free. 

I am from a family that has always "just liked cars", new and old. One of my early memories is trying out a new 1953 Chevy with my Dad by driving down the Swamp Rd. along The Bergen Swamp (http://www.bergenswamp.org/) . We probably drive that road every week to 10 days and I always remember that ride. That was his first new car. He traded every 3 years. There is nothing like a new car. When one buys a new car or new-er car for utilitarian or price reasons I can see being critical with that being the criteria. When ones buys a car because it is exciting and an adventure I think it is a whole lot easier to get past some nuisance.

Ten years ago I had a new Buick Enclave. I hated the car. 5,000 pounds with a 3.6 engine, what a pig. Recently I have considered a Chevy Traverse, same pig drivetrain, but I could probably live with it because it's just a Chevy. My expectations would be lower.

Have nothing against Fords or Pickups, had a lot of Hertz Ford rentals, mostly Pintos. Just have never owned one. I tend more to Mercs (and Jeeps of the Merc period) and GM cars to 2014 (pre-CUE). No more Grand Prixs so bought another Caddy coupe. Nice driver but Grand Cherokee is a better road car (and only an inch longer).

Suspect all of the electronic magic is a phase that is still in development. Buick had the good stuff thutty years ago (electronic ignition, ten "modules", and a touchscreen with a built in scan tool)

Personally do not mind stopping for roof rats but not for Walmart bags.

addendum: "new Buick Enclave. I hated the car. 5,000 pounds with a 3.6 engine, what a pig" OTOH my Grand Cherokee has a very good Bluetooth, many buttons (worst thing is the cruise control that must be turned on each time you use it and the wheel controls are on the right, Caddy's are on left. I put Velcro dots on important buttons.) But is a great road car, 4475 lbs with the 5,000 lb towing package, can just drive over center dividers and small rivers, and easy to park (188" long). Do plan to replace the 3.5" back up camera monitor with a 7" but only planned change. Michelin LT2's are great in rain/wind. 290hp (304 in Challenger) DOHC-6. Slap shifter. My first car had a DOHC-6 and I like them.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Ten years ago I had a new Buick Enclave. I hated the car. 5,000 pounds with a 3.6 engine, what a pig. Recently I have considered a Chevy Traverse, same pig drivetrain, but I could probably live with it because it's just a Chevy. My expectations would be lower.

A pig compared to what?  I have a company car Traverse and with 300 HP and nearly 300 Lb/ft (much like your Enclave had) it moves along nicely with the 3.6.  I also get over 30mpg on the highway in it.  Not bad for an 8 passenger "suv."

Most every new vehicle produced scoots along better than most anything from the past.