1932 Cadillac 355 Convertible Coupe Update!

This is a nice car ready to drive like it is right now. An older restoration that looks good. Not a show car.  I could tell you this is a fine car that would be ready for show and shine. I could tell you it is ready for Pebble Beach, but I am not going to do that because it is not that car. This is a driver, and a nice solid great Cadillac like it is . This is the long wheel base chassis that was also used on the V12 cars, so it is a BIG Cadillac! Shows well like it is. Priced quite reasonable and needs to find a new home. I am helping the owner who recently asked me to help with bringing the car back to life after languishing in storage for some time. Just about the 100,000 mark is where he wants to be. But it needs to go. I have it here at my place in Napa Ca. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:36 PM, auburnseeker said:

If I got rid of the Cord and the Ford I could just about swing it. 

Nice car. 

Auburnseeker, that would likely be a good move on your part !

1932 Cadillac V8 tends to be very dependable and solid,

especially when compared to several other makes in that era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well I moved the Ford.  Time now to sell the Cord.  I just dug out the paperwork on it Yesterday.  An ad to follow in the near future. 

I wish you luck.  Will be interesting to see how well you can do.   I think it was the Hershey car corral (cause I looked to see if RM had it) where I saw a scruffy but usable and complete 810 Phaeton for a very reasonable number.  

Just now, alsancle said:

I saw a scruffy but usable and complete 810 Phaeton for a very reasonable number.  

Without telling me, Melanie went and tried to buy that car for herself--that's her absolute dream car. He told her it sometimes hangs between gears, which finally made her come talk to me about it and I said, "No way!" It may be nothing and it's certainly a solvable problem, but I have enough projects on my plate.

But yes, that phaeton was not a bad car at not a bad price!

Seems to me it was around 78? G.  I did notice a few little rust holes , pin hole size on the bottom of the quarters where the fenders bolt.  I looked undernetah and it was just surface rusty,  but nothing that looked real scary. I did notice some antifreeze laying on top of the head that looked fresh. I didn't get too much more particular than that.  I would say cosmetically that car is close to mine,  with mine being a niotch down from that from some more or less storage damage.  

I wonder how far off my 65G asking price with all the extras, will be from where reality sits.

Seems we posted the same time matt.  Could have been 80 but it seemed like it was a slightly off number. 

Mine might even sell better on the hamb as a vintage hot rod being it has the full dressed Caddy flathead in it. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Asking price was 83k, reasonable for a driver, and the car looked nice from 20 feet, but close inspection showed quite a few issues.  Older so-so restoration, good bit of body work apparent.  Interior OK with some defects, top needed replacement.  Running on electric fuel pump, original pump missing.  Paint so-so, chipping off in places.

Would be a nice driver, although as Matt mentioned, "hanging up in gear" is scary on a Cord.  

My comment to my buddy there was that it would cost the same to me to restore that car as it would cost to restore my solid original standard phaeton.

I have card from dealer if anyone wants phone number, Scott C's Auto Group, www.ScottCAutos.com    

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Asking price was 83k, reasonable for a driver, and the car looked nice from 20 feet, but close inspection showed quite a few issues. 

John will probably agree with me and I would be interested in Matt's opinion,  but I find it interesting how Auburn and Cord have gone in two different directions if you compare the 35/36/37 cars.   851/852 speedsters bring 600 to 900k,  while comparable 810/812 Coupes bring 1/4 the money.   The biggest money I have ever seen spent was for a 812 SC Conv Coupe,  and that was only a little over 400k.   One third of the biggest money ever spent on a Speedster.

25 years ago they were the same money.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My first thought was that the 812 convertible coupe isn't as rare, but I don't think that's the case...there are a lot of "phaetons" (really convertible sedans) but not many convertible coupes.

Interesting question, though, had that been a speedster in comparable condition it would have been creeping up the six figure ladder pretty quickly...

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

My first thought was that the 812 convertible coupe isn't as rare, but I don't think that's the case...there are a lot of "phaetons" (really convertible sedans) but not many convertible coupes.

Interesting question, though, had that been a speedster in comparable condition it would have been creeping up the six figure ladder pretty quickly...

There are 36 original blown convertible coupes (and a few after the fact of course).   There are not a lot of total convertible coupes but probably a few more than the 100 or so Speedsters.

There are 5x phaetons and then 3x on top of that Westchesters.

OK All you guys. You got off the subject of the 32 Cadillac and started talking about the Cord at Hershey.  WRONG subject here! Let's get back to the 32 Cad 355 Convertible that I am trying to find a new home for! Bill WANTED six figures, but he also wants to SELL THIS CAR. I have it here in my shop and I WANT MAY SHOP SPACE BACK. What am I saying? -- Well BLUNTLY,: Where are those three different folks that made offers?  NOW they need to get back in this ASAP... I NEED room so I can start my 29 Cad project!

How MUCH? well, 70 was on the table, Bill said no.. NOW things are changed. Where is that 70+ offer? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 2:53 PM, old car fan said:

I think someone is close to missing a great deal.

Yes, I know the car owner wants to have it off his plate...  I have the car here inside my garage and I sure would like the use of my garage space so I can start working on my 29 Cad 341B. No room to do that until the 32 is sold.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had the Cadillac out for a new video. I have two guys with offers on the table, but have not seen any cash from either of them yet. First guy requested more information about engine condition, so I pulled the heads and pan, checked out crank bearing clearances, pulled all the valves to give them a little touch-up. Rebuilt the vacuum pump and did some painting. The engine looks like it was totally rebuilt during the complete restoration. Odometer just turned 400 miles. The notes Ted made when he was restoring the car, say he had all the instruments restored and set to zero, so I suppose the car has 400 miles since it was restored. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ovalrace25 said:

I just had the Cadillac out for a new video. I have two guys with offers on the table, but have not seen any cash from either of them yet. First guy requested more information about engine condition, so I pulled the heads and pan, checked out crank bearing clearances, pulled all the valves to give them a little touch-up. Rebuilt the vacuum pump and did some painting. The engine looks like it was totally rebuilt during the complete restoration. Odometer just turned 400 miles. The notes Ted made when he was restoring the car, say he had all the instruments restored and set to zero, so I suppose the car has 400 miles since it was restored. 

Wow, tearing the engine apart to satisfy a tire-kicker is really going the extra mile--no way I'd do that on a maybe. I'd need a substantial deposit and the work would be done at his expense with a refund forthcoming only if defects were found. And despite your best efforts, I bet he still vanishes without a word. My experience with guys who ask about the engine's condition actually mean they want highly detailed receipts and extensive rebuilder's notes that are no more than two weeks old, all from the best shop in the world with a written guarantee for life. That question also often suggests a guy who doesn't know a lot about cars and simply assumes that the engine is the most expensive part of a restoration and is where someone (like him) would cut corners. He expects to be ripped off, because, obviously, people tend to restore cars and spend tens of thousands of dollars but just throw junkyard motors in them to save a buck. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I still have the Cadillac. Have had a few contacts that claimed to be buyers but when I asked for name, where they were living and phone number, they vanished into the twilight zone. I still have one that flew in from the east coast, looked a the car, went for a ride (I drove) and told me he wants it as soon as he has his money in place. Meanwhile, the car is For Sale to the first acceptable offer. No deposits, no hold until you fill your bank account, no trades. 

Here is a new video: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HA! Well, this pandemic has certainly caused all action to come to a halt! I basically put the car away for now. I still have some things going, but with all the "shelter in place" requirements, no one is taking a chance on catching this COVID19 virus. 

• 6 months later...

Yes I agree! I know that the most recent sale of another one was a car that was a horrible color and needed total restoration and I think the top bid on it was around $48,000. This car is much more nicely restored and very well done. Although the restoration is by definition older now. The car still presents itself very well.