Open Door Access To Rumble Seat

Hudsy Wudsy

I'm getting old and I know that I've become forgetful, but for the life of me I don't think I've ever seen a rumble seat with a side opening door for access like the one on this '30 Imperial that's for sale on C/L in St Louis MO. Perhaps this was more often seen on high end cars, but I don't know:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/d/quincy-1930-chrysler-imperial-ds-rs/6913890726.html

00Q0Q_8oX2Mf7dXXe_1200x900.jpg

I've seen the side entrance rumble seat on a Locke-bodied Chrysler. It was shown at Charlotte in 1988, and was then, I believe, owned by the late Bobby Crump from Baton Rouge, LA.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

I've seen the side entrance rumble seat on a Locke-bodied Chrysler. It was shown at Charlotte in 1988, and was then, I believe, owned by the late Bobby Crump from Baton Rouge, LA.

I believe trimacar knew this Chrysler far better than I

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I wonder how often that got used when the car was new?

I've seen pictures of these side seats ("suicide seats") actually in use. However, considering that the car, a Gold Bug, will go 70-75 MPH, and that 95% of the roads in 1923 were gravel or dirt, it had to be a miserable and heart-throbbing adventure to be moving in one of these.

Today, I will not have people in them other than when my car is stationary.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

21 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

And if you get asked to drive your Chief or Police, or some other dignitary in a parade?    That seat would be the ideal spot for someone to ride in a parade.

You won't be going any faster than 5mph.

Crag

Rolls Royce used them on the Phantom One & Phantom Two. Since the cars are so rare, it’s not a commonly known fact. The reason they weren’t often done is simple.......they are actually are hard to use.......they are very awkward.........almost impossible for a large adult. Climbing up the fender is much easier entry and egress. Fact is, people should be instructed on how to properly get in and out. I have warned many people about using a rumble seat, and they just simply don’t listen. Two people over the years ended up in the emergency room getting out of my cars because they don’t listen. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Two people over the years ended up in the emergency room getting out of my cars because they don’t listen. 

Once I got in one of your cars, I probably wouldn't want to get out anyway.:D

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I would think that crawling up and over the fender had to be hard on the car's paint.

And was probably a little less than graceful for women in dresses.

5 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

here's an even more accessible side entrance seat - - - - 

BrettMountain-00016.jpg

Was this seat mainly for your wife if you didn't want to go thru a divorce?  "Honey I got you a front row seat..."

6 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

here's an even more accessible side entrance seat - - - - 

BrettMountain-00016.jpg

There aren't enough seat belts, lap belts, shoulder belts or Gorilla tape in the world to make riding in that seat seem like a good idea to me. I rode in the side car to my friend's Harley a couple of years ago and I can't recall if I've ever felt more vulnerable in my life. I couldn't wait for the ride to be over. Yes, I am a true neurotic.

I would ride in one of those side drawer seats in a minute if offered, even at speed (preferably on a good road!). But then, I have run thousands of miles in model T open wheel speedsters and racing cars.

The '29 Reo coupe I had when I was in high school had a rumble seat. Getting in and out on the provided steps was easy once you got Arthur Murray to give a few lessons. Actually, it was easy to figure out, however, there IS a right way. The Reo's steps were quite substantial and did a good job of protecting the paint on the fender. Kicking the side of the body was a different story. 

It was a bit more modern than I really wanted to play with. But sometimes I wish I had kept that car!

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, ron hausmann said:

I've seen pictures of these side seats ("suicide seats") actually in use. However, considering that the car, a Gold Bug, will go 70-75 MPH, and that 95% of the roads in 1923 were gravel or dirt, it had to be a miserable and heart-throbbing adventure to be moving in one of these.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

But they're great for dinosaur hunting  :D

the+lost+world+outrigger.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, edinmass said:

Rolls Royce used them on the Phantom One & Phantom Two. Since the cars are so rare, it’s not a commonly known fact. The reason they weren’t often done is simple.......they are actually are hard to use.......they are very awkward.........almost impossible for a large adult. Climbing up the fender is much easier entry and egress. Fact is, people should be instructed on how to properly get in and out. I have warned many people about using a rumble seat, and they just simply don’t listen. Two people over the years ended up in the emergency room getting out of my cars because they don’t listen. 

Tell them they now make bathtubs with a door just for them!!

https://www.wayfair.ca/American-Standard--52-x-30-Walkin-Soaking-Bathtub-3052OD.709.SLPC-L590-K~ASD10743.html?refid=GX181716672389-ASD10743&device=c&ptid=607588772370&targetid=pla-607588772370&network=g&ireid=64960009&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI69j11-KE5AIVdf_jBx1dOA5AEAYYASABEgIPZ_D_BwE

Craig