Are you Going to Midwest City

Jack Welch

The tours and events at this Year's national Meet in Midwest City OK will provide many BCAers an opportunity for a National Meet with a route 66 flavor. The BCA has never had a National meet in Oklahoma City before. This locale had never been on my radar before, but after working with Pete Phillips and his crew and having first hand info into the tours that are part of that meet < i am psyched .

The host hotel is full, but there is plenty of room in the near by hotels. (all providing BCA members a discounted rate). The Mayor and Chamber of Commerce City are working with the BCA Committee to put on one heck of an event. It takes an extraordinary amount of work for a Chapter to put on a meet such as this and Pete and his crew have gone over the top with planning to give you a great time. Do yourself a favor and register now. (Operators are standing by)

• Like 1

I intend to go, just haven’t got all the details figured out yet.  

I enjoy driving my Buicks, but if I have to drive 1000 miles to get to a meet, I’m generally a bit tired of driving and like to avoid too much of it for the few days we are down.  Of course, if I use the truck and trailer, it’s more comfortable, but the experience is different and frankly, there is always some judgement going on...my cars aren’t trailer queens, but that doesn’t mean they don’t get pampered sometimes with a ride.

• 1 month later...

Yes...this year I planned ahead and have a room at host hotel.   After seeing where the show field is, that may not be an advantage.

Map says just under 400 mile drive.   Last year I drove all day and did not get out of Texas.    Will drive a Buick but not an old one.

Well, last night I booked flights for the two flying down, so I guess it’s real.  Today I was looking at the drive down, since it’s over 1700 km.  Sioux City, IA is not quite halfway, but since we have the border crossing on day one, that area may be a good place to spend the night.  Avoiding tolls doesn’t cost much time nor distance according to Google Maps.

Now we just need to work through the registration details and send that it.

we are going to drive down sometime Thursday from Wichita about 160 miles. Don't have a place to stay but there is a lot of places close. 

Not doing any tours but we are just going to do our own thing. Barney you may drive all day to get out of Texas but I can drive 100 miles just to get away from ORANGE CONSTRUCTION CONES. The official sign of Summer in Kansas

Is there a meeting schedule posted any where, I have not seen one

Driving our Select 60

Who has to drive thru Wichita Kansas

If we aren’t going through Wichita, we’ll be going around it nearby.  If I set Google Maps to avoid tolls, it has us either going down 77 and then over to your world, or coming from due north into / through the city.  That would likely be Tuesday afternoon.

Well, I guess I will go, if you guys twist my arm...

Here's the schedule of events so far

Tuesday, June 11

·         Set up tables and spaces for indoor & outdoor swap meets; set up parking lot signs, set up registration desk  3 p.m.-7 p.m. Registration Desk open

·         5 -7 p.m. Hospitality room open

Wednesday, June 12

·         8 a.m. Registration Desk opens; indoor & outdoor swap meets open, 9 a.m. hospitality room opens

·         9 a.m.-1 p.m. Driving Tour to Guthrie, Old State Capitol tour, downtown shopping, lunch on your own

·         12 noon-4 p.m. Bus Tour-Lunch @ Buick Building, Auto Alley Historic District, National Memorial & Museum

·         5-6 p.m. National Meet Committee meeting (tentative) (Small meeting room, 10-12 people)

Thursday, June 13

·         9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Bus Tour to Bud's Salvage, Aline, Oklahoma & Sod House Museum, Includes lunch @ Bud's Salvage

·         9 a.m.-2 p.m. Bus Tour-National Memorial & Museum, Auto Alley Historic District, Lunch @ BuickBuilding

·         4-5 p.m. Buick Driving Enthusiasts meeting (small meeting room, 20-25 people)

·         5-6 p.m. Pre-War Division meeting (small meeting room, 20-25 people)

·         5-6 p.m. Route 66 Seminar, Brad Nickson, President,

Okla. Rte.
66 Association (auditorium)

·         6 p.m. Reatta Rendezvous (no meeting room needed)

·         7 p.m. General Membership Meeting (auditorium)

Friday, June 14

·         8 a.m. - 12 noon. BCA Board of Directors meeting (auditorium)

·         9. a.m. -2 p.m. Bus Tour-National Memorial & Museum, Auto Alley Historic District, Lunch @ BuickBuilding

·         8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Rte. 66 Driving Tour, Edmond to Bristow, OK. Lunch @ BristowMuseum (old R.R. station) --optional

·         12:15 p.m. 1929 Owner's Group lunch/meeting (Sheraton restaurant)

·         3-5 p.m. Judges' Training Session (Auditorium)

·         6:30 p.m.-9 p.m. Bus Tour to Oklahoma Modernism Mod Market Preview, Fashion Show, & Lecture at St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Sponsored by Okie Mod Squad)

Saturday, June 15

·         7 a.m.-9 a.m. Judge’s Breakfast--(2nd floor ballroom) 90-100 people at tables

·         9 a.m. Judging begins, to 2 p.m.   ReedCollege parking lot/Chamber of Commerce office

·         12 noon-4p.m. Trophy & awards assembly (small room somewhere, 4-5 people)

·         3-4 p.m. Reatta Division meeting (35-40 people)

·         3-4 p.m. Modified Division meeting (tentative, 10-15 people)

·         6 p.m. Social hour; 6:30-9:30 Awards Banquet

Optional activity--

Sunday, June 16

·         12 noon-5 p.m. Mid-Century Modernism Festival Bus Tour of Mid-Century Modern homes (sponsored by Okie Mod Squad—cannot change time/date)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, Fr. Buick said:

Oh ya got to bring Elvis!  I'm looking forward to seeing him...

Elvis pulled a leg muscle when he caught in the fork of a tree he was trying to climb while after a possum . He’s on meds now so he may be sitting this trip out. 😟

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Elvis pulled a leg muscle when he caught in the fork of a tree he was trying to climb while after a possum . He’s on meds now so he may be sitting this trip out. 😟

you don't hear that very often

• Haha 1

I have an extra hotel room at the La Quinta (across the parking lot from the host hotel) available Tuesday-Saturday night if anyone wants it. Contact me here or at 919.233.1973 and I can put your name on the reservation. 

The room is a King ADA-accessible room. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:27 PM, NCReatta said:

I have an extra hotel room at the La Quinta (across the parking lot from the host hotel) available Tuesday-Saturday night if anyone wants it. Contact me here or at 919.233.1973 and I can put your name on the reservation. 

The room is a King ADA-accessible room. 

My extra room is now spoken for

• 2 weeks later...