What are some of the great "missing" Classics, prewar American?

trimacar

Dupont made 3 Model H cars before closing shop.  The one survivor is the famous dual cowl.  The other 2 have disappeared.  At least one survived the war and was being used in Wisconsin to tow race cars by the son of the chief engineer of Dupont.

I have never seen picture of either car.  Not sure that any exist.  Stan Smith had none in his book.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Derham bodied Pierce

image.png.608ca0e51c75158368a2d551f02345bd.png

I had my hands on this car seven days ago...........Past Kuhn and Warshowski collection.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

maybe even a few Duesenbergs? At least 10-20 sitting in garages throughout Europe.

Maybe.  Not not lost.   I say this a lot, but there hasn't been an "undiscovered" model J since the early 1960s.   There will be a "barn find" Duenseberg ever 10 years that the general public knew nothing about.   However, there will be 6-12 guys that knew all about it.

True al- maybe not lost- but definitely undiscovered. So much wealth was in France and Switzerland after WW2 and the people who own them, dont need the money.

In the last 2 yrs, 1000s of paintings were "discovered" in Germany that an art dealers son held. Value in the billions............ he wasnt advertising...............

located right in a major city. Totally unknown.

• Thanks 1

Great stuff, thanks for all the input.....as far as the paintings go, with the right paintings it wouldn't take long to get to a billion!

450 million paid for Salvatore Mundi by da Vinci.  

The most expensive car car is now at 70 million, I believe, Ferrari.

it will be interesting to see what cars surface in the next few years.....

David, I think your 70 is on the low to very low side. I have been told a offer of 90 was refused on a car, and I believe both the source, and the car in question bringing that money. No comment as to who or what. 

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Got it, the photo, not the car. Bob 

DSCF9181.JPG

DSCF9182.JPG

Sort of not missing (or at least not all of it) - I see original parts for this laying around anytime I visit my favorite machine tool shop.  Parts have been surfacing for years with people scratching their heads trying to figure out what they fit (and then periodically a "light bulb" turns on and ...).  Interestingly, to add to the confusion there appears to have been a somewhat close "second one" too and  a few parts surfaced for it as well. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

David, I think your 70 is on the low to very low side. I have been told a offer of 90 was refused on a car, and I believe both the source, and the car in question bringing that money. No comment as to who or what. 

Wouldnt doubt it, all I have access to are public records, you're privy to the "stratosphere" of the car collecting world! Lucky dog!

i think a lot of car collecting is "pride of ownership", just as it would be with paintings.

I recently had an offer for my '37 Cord phaeton.  I don't use the car much, as I end up driving my Pierce more often than not.  However, my thought process was "OK, I wake up tomorrow morning and DON'T own a Cord, how do I feel?"

I turned down the offer, and it was a generous one that was four times what I have in the car....thus pride of ownership, not use, swayed me....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trimacar said:

I recently had an offer for my '37 Cord phaeton.  I don't use the car much, as I end up driving my Pierce more often than not.  However, my thought process was "OK, I wake up tomorrow morning and DON'T own a Cord, how do I feel?"

Funny, as I think the same way.  But, I sold what was my dream car a few months ago, owned it for 20 years and never thought about it again the next day or since.   In fact, the only thing I've ever actually regretted selling was an original Stutz supercharger with period paperwork,  history from 1937 and one of about 4 known complete units.   It has gone to a very good home, however.

• Like 1

There's stuff out there. I think the majority of car guys run across a stash or a single car and just zip the lips.

About 50 cars were in this Quonset garage. I stopped in every time I took my Daughter back to college and came home alone. I thought that in four years I could get the plastic Auburn but it didn't happen.

a0029.JPG.7ff30c380e15273ad399bc53c52e8280.JPG

a0006.JPG.6ccb8dfecb0be6bb46b0da1258fe3d30.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Funny, as I think the same way.  But, I sold what was my dream car a few months ago, owned it for 20 years and never thought about it again the next day or since.   In fact, the only thing I've ever actually regretted selling was an original Stutz supercharger with period paperwork,  history from 1937 and one of about 4 known complete units.   It has gone to a very good home, however.

Not to go too far astray,  but I had to go look for this.  Here are some pictures of my departed supercharger.

http://home.townisp.com/~alsancle/StutzSuperCharger.html

• Like 1

Just now, 60FlatTop said:

There's stuff out there. I think the majority of car guys run across a stash or a single car and just zip the lips.

About 50 cars were in this Quonset garage. I stopped in every time I took my Daughter back to college and came home alone. I thought that in four years I could get the plastic Auburn but it didn't happen.

Is that Dick Shappy's Derham bodied Model J?

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

I had my hands on this car seven days ago.....

Is that the one in Hemmings now for 250k?

Not sure of the price, I was in a shop in St. Louis last Saturday and it was getting serviced. Stuck my nose in where it didn’t belong....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I know of a 1930 Cadillac V16 roadster sitting in a boat house up here that is a basket case. The body was restored and painted about 30 years ago in California where the car came from. I remember he had the chrome plating and engine done and then stored away. I know the owner very well and I believe he will never get back at it.

With real correct V-16 roadsters bringing seven figures to mid 1.5’s it will get finished some day. Maybe some encouragement to hike to just pass it on would be a good idea, while the market for them is strong. I’m not a quifiled buyer.........there are plenty of them chasing those cars. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Brunn Lincoln.

image.png.b1b91c759ff8d97addb1b6415bfafff0.png

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Brunn Lincoln.

image.png.b1b91c759ff8d97addb1b6415bfafff0.png

T

This car was last seen in Michigan getting some wood repair. It’s the double entery saloon, one door, that opens from both ends, done in Brewster Green. I saw restoration photos of it by the current owner, who may or may not still be with us, around 1995. Had a great talk with him about the car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I remember as a kid in Royal Oak, Michigan, going into a friend's, grandfather's garage and seeing a massive car (to me, anyway). It was running and I could not hear it run. It was a 1937 Packard V12 sedan. What an impressive automobile at about 13 years old....or ANY age, for that matter. I wonder where that car went. Another time, I was picking up a parts car 1936 Dodge Brothers sedan for my own '36 and the property out in Auburn Hills, Michigan had other cars on it. One was the front clip with fenders, radiator, engine and complete frame from a 1932 Marmon 16. The other was a 1940 Packard limousine that was on it's side, but in GORGEOUS shape. I asked Mrs. McKim, the owner, why the Packard was on it's side. She said, "They store better that way". She also had an old Federal truck that was pretty cool.