What are some of the great "missing" Classics, prewar American?

trimacar

On 12/8/2018 at 10:35 PM, edinmass said:

I had my hands on this car seven days ago...........Past Kuhn and Warshowski collection.

Too bad it was sold before you got there.  I hope there was a consolation prize.  :)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1935Packard said:

Too bad it was sold before you got there.  I hope there was a consolation prize.  :)

It went to a first time Pierce owner.....another new convert. Now we need to get you into a Buffalo built car! Ask the wife if you can get another car for the collection.🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Here's 12 possible 'missing' Lincolns:  

Craig

It's almost a shame they were found..........virtually every car there would have been better served if they were used as parts cars back in the day when people were doing total restorations on cars like these. It would have saved another twenty or so cars that probably never got done. I think the most interesting thing is the seller actually thinks he will sell them as a lot. Let's do the math, and say you live three hundred miles from him. That's 15 thousand miles of towing cars if you move them one at a time on a single car trailer........fuel,tolls,milage on the equipment, hotels, food,and TIME alone means a cost of say 25k to move all the stuff if you do it as a one guy/one truck project. Any way you slice it, you need a place to store them when done, add in time for parting out 8 or 9 of them, and even if they were all given to you for free, it's gonna cost you money. Prediction.....he will end up selling one or two of them to dreamers, the rest languish for a long time, then the entire remaining pile gets given away or worse yet.......sent to the scrapper because of the bad attitude the seller will have by the time it's all over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think the most interesting thing is the seller actually thinks he will sell them as a lot.

Trying to sell them as a lot almost makes them sale proof.   It would be an interesting conversation on the logic with the seller.   There are 2 or 3 of those that somebody might sign up to restore,  but it would be a long road and the probability of completion is small.

• Like 1

Agreed they should be released for sale on a 'one-at-a-time' basis.  That way, more photos of each of the 12 could be posted in the individual listings, and the other 11 wouldn't be held 'ransom' to the particular car of interest to the buyer.

Craig

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

It went to a first time Pierce owner.....another new convert. Now we need to get you into a Buffalo built car! Ask the wife if you can get another car for the collection.🤔

Ed will bring you around to PA eventually.   Let me help.  The Pierce 12 will run rings around the Packard 12.   And don't forget the ball bearings on the spring shackles.   Did I forget anything?

Just now, alsancle said:

Trying to sell them as a lot almost makes them sale proof.   It would be an interesting conversation on the logic with the seller.   There are 2 or 3 of those that somebody might sign up to restore,  but it would be a long road and the probability of completion is small.

The Zero feedback tells me the collection may not have started with the seller. Bob 

7 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Zero feedback tells me the collection may not have started with the seller. Bob 

Agreed.   I think I ran out of "known" unknown cars.   I'm sure there are plenty of missing great cars,   but if they were not one off coachbuilt or part of a tiny  batch, then we wouldn't have a period picture now to know we are missing it now.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

On 12/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, edinmass said:

The Packard Twelve Speedster Pheaton which is the big brother to the Macaulay Speedster is alive and well, when I was looking at it this spring. I haven’t seen any photos of it on line, and I don’t have any of them myself. It’s a fantastic car, in a garage full of Incredible cars........AJ, do you have a photo?

This one. It was restored in a gorgeous dark blue. However, the mix between 1930 body and 1934 styling didn't work (in my opinion). Its square back didn't quite work with the V-shaped front, especially when shown with the top up. It has been "shown" only once, that I'm aware of, at least on this side of the MIssissippi.

14a_Packard_800.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

One wonders if Ed is chasing this:

S300LR York.jpg

scan8 001.jpg

I know where that one is and have seen it in the flesh.   It’s still in nice original condition, but if memory serves me right the sides have been painted solid black.   Probably done back in the late 30s or 40s. The owner used to drive it around his area.   Believe me, he knows exactly what it is and it will not be sold cheap!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K8096 said:

I know where that one is and have seen it in the flesh.   It’s still in nice original condition, but if memory serves me right the sides have been painted solid black.   Probably done back in the late 30s or 40s. The owner used to drive it around his area.   Believe me, he knows exactly what it is and it will not be sold cheap!  

Nope. If at all.

7 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Seen in a breakers' yard in Geneva in 1964. Did this custom 1939(?) Packard survive?

1939 Packard Swiss body?.jpg

Isn’t that the maroon & black Derham that was featured in the CCCA magazine a few years ago?   Completely restored now, it was offered for sale at Hershey 2 or 3 years ago for 700K.   It was parked near the Packard Club tent.  

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

On 12/10/2018 at 9:40 AM, West Peterson said:

One wonders if Ed is chasing this:

S300LR York.jpg

scan8 001.jpg

I can not tell a lie.........I don't even know what year that Model T is.............but I will admit to knowing where it is currently parked! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ed will bring you around to PA eventually.   Let me help.  The Pierce 12 will run rings around the Packard 12.   And don't forget the ball bearings on the spring shackles.   Did I forget anything?

Well AJ, to own a Pierce twelve, you need charming good looks, an above average personality, and the good taste to make the purchase............so I guess you'll never own one!

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

This one. It was restored in a gorgeous dark blue. However, the mix between 1930 body and 1934 styling didn't work (in my opinion). Its square back didn't quite work with the V-shaped front, especially when shown with the top up. It has been "shown" only once, that I'm aware of, at least on this side of the MIssissippi.

14a_Packard_800.jpg

West, I believe the car was put back to it's original build configuration, a bit different than the photo shown above. In my humble opinion, I think its one of the top five Packards in the world...........

• Like 1