Need opinions on a '73

PWB

Gang,

I'm considering purchasing this apparently nice '73 as a driver.

I would greatly appreciate any judgments / opinions good AND bad on it.

Been over 30 years since my last '73 so I'm no expert. I remember my last '73 carb' gave me issues and the tranny slipped at only 65K. :unsure:

I see its got some wonky alarm system?

Anyways thanks and enjoy your summer rides!

https://www.uniquemankato.com/vehicles/674/1973-buick-riviera

334143b2bb70d_hd_1973-buick-riviera.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Brings back memories. I had a '73 back in the day, and put 140,000 miles on it. Always considered it a good car, with good build quality. The car pictured is certainly attractive. I'll let others weigh in on its condition, and just comment on driving one daily. It's a great highway cruiser, fast, powerful and steady. But poor gas mileage. And it's a big car, which makes parking in an urban setting challenging, and the long, thick doors pose difficulties in cramped parking lots. The back seat is difficult to get into, and legroom is very tight once you're in. So a lot depends on whether you're driving in an urban or rural setting, and whether you want to haul multiple passengers. If you do buy the car, keep a close watch on the vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor. Mine failed about every 10,000 miles, and gas mileage would go down from 13 to 11. That's how I knew it was time for a new diaphragm. Also, I replaced multiple mufflers and resonators. When the time comes either install a stainless system or go to a Midas equivalent and get a system with a lifetime replacement warranty. A plus is the fact that the car has the 5 MPH bumpers, which -- though often criticized -- are great at protecting the car. The sound system was good for that era. Never had any carburetor or transmission problems.

• Thanks 1

It actually looks pretty decent Paul.  It appears straight and the interior looks to be in nice shape.  No cracks in the dash and the door panels look really good.  If it runs as good as it looks, the price seems fair.  The paint is a little tired in areas but not a big deal if you want a driver.  The door weatherstripping is starting to fail but that can be dealt with.  There is a debate right now about the authenticity of a hood ornament on a 73 but no harm, no foul.  The engine compartment looks tidy as does the trunk.  It may even have the original spare?  The center caps on the wheels should be Riviera specific, but again, not a big deal.

There is only surface rust on the undercarriage and the floors look solid.  Certainly not a rust bucket which is a plus.  The rear shocks are a "coil over" design and were maybe installed to augment the rear coil springs if it was sagging.  Overall, it looks way better than some others on the market right now.  If it drives out nice, go for it!

• Thanks 1

Paul,

Often I can get a good idea on overall condition on 73s by looking at the rubber bumper strips front and back. They look very nice on this car and as expected everything else does too. It is very nicely optioned. Noticed it has delay wipers! I sold my 73 last fall with 62k mi for $10,600. This car appears (in pics) to be in slightly better condition and definitely better optioned. Does the A/C work? As far as rust the rear wheel lips and the rear passenger floor where your feet would rest are most prone. 

Overall thought the car "looks" like a solid buy even at price listed. If you can get it for a couple grand less even better.  I am shocked a classic dealer has it priced so low to start. If its mechanically sound it sure looks good. what you have to be concerned about with boattails is if a car needs hard to find parts and this one doesn't need any of those.

As always it is most preferred to get a set of experienced eyes on it. Transmissions in these are typically very reliable and bullet proof. your experience with failure at 65k I think would be considered uncommon by most.

Also wanted to mention: Maybe you noticed the air pump has been removed. Which is a plus unless you are planning on 400 point judging

How long has it been for sale? I'm surprised no one from across ocean hasn't snapped it up.

Just noticed where something was bolted to the frame on both sides by the witness mark left from a bolt and washer or ? Not big deal but curious what it was? I know the trailer hitches for these had a big bar that ran under tank and bolted to the frame in this approximate area?

3340036585033_low_res_1973-buick-riviera.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. I remember getting the tranny overhauled back then really hurt my wallet. 

JZ , I wanted to buy your ‘73 so much but I didn’t have the cash then. I regret it now. Shoulda got a quick loan.

I probably didn’t think ? of the vacuum diaphragm way back then. Good call.

Any fears of the “max track” system?

Thanks again guys. Air tickets next.

Looks like a decent car Paul. I looked over the pics thoroughly when the car first became available. I have no problem with brown, I spent the better part of 4 decades working with UPS, but I`m not crazy about the brown/white combo. Obviously color is very, very subjective. But the overall appearance/color left me unimpressed. I think my impression would be further supported if the "detail" washes off the car to leave what is obviously a well weathered brown car.

I think when you see it in person and/or all the glaze washes off the car, you will want to paint it, or at least try color sanding and buffing it.

Chrome on the wheels looks like it is getting a little thin but the `71 and up wheels seem to be available and inexpensive. Maybe you could pick up a few to improve the overall quality of the wheels.

Looks like there are many nicks and chips across the front end which usually indicates highway travel. This can be a double edge sword in that the miles are easy but can accumulate to a high level without the typical indicators.

It drives me crazy when I see folks patch together an exhaust system. Why not just replace the whole header pipe? Oh, yeah, because one must deal with those rotten studs at the manifold, right? Why not spend lunch money and do the job right? Doing it right not only speaks to longevity but it is exhaust so is a safety issue.

Front end looks pretty crusty, you might want to check it thoroughly when inspecting. Some of the fuel lines look crusty so you might end up replacing those and most likely a few brake lines.

Any idea what geographical location the car came from?

I think Jason is correct in that the car may have had a trailer hitch, looks like it may have been a heavy duty version. Make sure you check the trans fluid.

Again, I think it is a decent car. However, at this price level, if it does need paint and exhaust/some mechanical, you`ll be well into the mid-twenties once you give it Mr Paul`s Touch. It seems to me that $$$ could buy a damn nice `73, maybe a GS in a more marketable color?  But I dont focus much on the boattail values. I know they are on the rise but I would expect collectors to shy away from the big bumper cars and especially a brown example...but, again, I dont know the boattail values very well.

Good Luck!

Tom

• Like 2

That looks like an Earl Scheib or Maaco repaint job to me. The paint looks too dull and too grainy and I can see

where it was poorly masked off in certain areas with overspray on trim parts. They are claiming mostly original paint......I'm not buying

that statement. Otherwise looks like a pretty nice car. I think for 16,000 you could find a better one than this. About six months ago I had to

sit on my wallet to keep from buying a gorgeous original paint 76 Eldorado coupe with perfect original paint and interior and  48,000 original miles

that a classic car dealer only wanted  15,000 for. The car was pristine everywhere and could have won a trophy at any car show it attended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a nice ride. I like the color, yet not super big on the white vinyl top, but black interior and midnight grey is kinda rare and deep state.

I would really want to see the paint  in person with direct sunlight. 

The listed price is not right. Show up in person and offer lower with cash in hand ($12.5K?) IF you are still interested and be prepare to walk. 

Wheel caps not correct, also looks like a chrome air cleaner cover on non-GS. No floor shifter. Trunk and interior look great. Challenge them on mileage if no documentation. What paperwork do they have otherwise? 

I like how it has the four support rods within the engine compartment. 

Chances are nicer 73s will pop up in the near future, but for a daily driver??? Could be the right one.

You will know when you see it in person and test drive I think.

Sweet ride: Go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple more thoughts:

So is the car brown or Charcoal/midnight gray. I thought gray. Paint code 67?

The pin striping on the nose does not belong. Should end in a point on the front of hood. Obviously those have been painted.

From what I have witnessed on value based on actual sales, the 73 really isn't much different than 1s or 2s or at least like we would expect there to be because of the massive front bumper on the 73 that is a known detraction. I personally prefer a 71/72 but apparently there are just as many buyers that don't care and/or want the last year boattail. My 73 sold for more than I expected on ebay at the worst time of year mid November going into holidays. It hit reserve in 16 hours which surprised me.

It seems specialty classic car dealers (some - not all) often have embellished inaccurate descriptions with end of the rainbow prices. This one is different in that they let the excellent variety of pics speak for the condition rather than make multiple errors trying to describe details on a car they know little about. This car appears to have good bones. I say that in context of if the body and underside is as solid as it appears, these are hard to find in a boattail unless you get a southwestern car in which the soft parts will be baked. So here you get what looks like an original interior, likely original trunk and spare, and (potentially) little to no rust with boattail and year specific parts in nice undamaged condition.

Yes paint is a concern since quality repaints are very expensive but when it comes to a driver, paint with defects is a blessing. That's what I liked so much about my 73. Take it to Walmart and park anywhere with no worry just like the good old days :)

• Like 5

As Jason pointed out, perfect paint should not be a major concern if you looking for a driver.  I'm not here to advocate the use of "Maaco" paint jobs but on four of the last cars I've owned, I had Maaco paint them.  The trick is to make sure that the body is straight before sending it to them.  Buy some body tools and learn some basic body work that then how to apply and prep "Bondo".  Once you have the body ready, take off all of the moldings that you can so that there will be as few tape edges as possible.  Talk to the manager and tell him that this car is not the only car that he'll see from you.  Be willing to "tip" him and the painter a little extra to take some time.  I've had them paint my daughter's Pontiac Grand Am (one of the real ones with the 400 engine), two El Caminos, and the '85 dark blue Riviera "Type R" coupe that I drove to PA in 2010.  No one there could tell that it was a Maaco paint job and you probably didn't realize it either until I just now told you.

Ed

You might remember this picture, it was on the cover of Vol 26, No.4, July/August 2010.  22653119_85DarkBlueRivCoupe001.jpg.c284caf0e9d6dcd511e71d1cf7d946db.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with Tom's assessment, and not necessarily trying to talk you out of it, but here a few others for your consideration in the same price range:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera/6592624230.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera/6563900230.html

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera-1-owner/6587854567.html

• Thanks 1

The dark blue one looks nice, but I have no resources for boat tails so I'll let other pick it apart.  I'm partial to non-vinyl roofs as well.  What's with the picture of the odd '73 in front of the Jose Quervo sign?  It's not the car pictured in the ad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjp69 said:

I agree with Tom's assessment, and not necessarily trying to talk you out of it, but here a few others for your consideration in the same price range:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera/6592624230.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera/6563900230.html

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera-1-owner/6587854567.html

I called the store this morning to see if it was available and it was. Then they went easily down to 13,900. I didn't haggle.

I start looking at flights, find some at $240 (cheap) and they call me and say a sale is pending. They'll call me if the deal doesn't go.

I'm stuck on earth tone metallics. I know - picky right?

Depressing  :(

Thanks for the leads all, I'll look into them....

50 minutes ago, PWB said:

I called the store this morning to see if it was available and it was. Then they went easily down to 13,900. I didn't haggle.

I start looking at flights, find some at $240 (cheap) and they call me and say a sale is pending. They'll call me if the deal doesn't go.

I'm stuck on earth tone metallics. I know - picky right?

Depressing  :(

Thanks for the leads all, I'll look into them....

Seek and ye' shall find! 

• Like 1

Paul, I see that brown one as a $12K car. I think you can do a little better. 73s are more plentiful than 71-72s and lots of earth tones were produced. Here is a nice looking GS in Chicago for $15K

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera-gs-mild/6566134806.html

And a low mileage original in Milwaukee 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/1973-buick-riveria/6584095596.html

Edited by Rivdrivn (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rivdrivn said:

Paul, I see that brown one as a $12K car. I think you can do a little better. 73s are more plentiful than 71-72s and lots of earth tones were produced. Here is a nice looking GS in Chicago for $15K

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1973-buick-riviera-gs-mild/6566134806.html

Check out the tucked in bumper.

Looks sooooo much better. :rolleyes:

00B0B_hitgdh7hQBg_1200x900.jpg

12 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Couple more thoughts:

So is the car brown or Charcoal/midnight gray. I thought gray. Paint code 67?

The pin striping on the nose does not belong. Should end in a point on the front of hood. Obviously those have been painted.

From what I have witnessed on value based on actual sales, the 73 really isn't much different than 1s or 2s or at least like we would expect there to be because of the massive front bumper on the 73 that is a known detraction. I personally prefer a 71/72 but apparently there are just as many buyers that don't care and/or want the last year boattail. My 73 sold for more than I expected on ebay at the worst time of year mid November going into holidays. It hit reserve in 16 hours which surprised me.

It seems specialty classic car dealers (some - not all) often have embellished inaccurate descriptions with end of the rainbow prices. This one is different in that they let the excellent variety of pics speak for the condition rather than make multiple errors trying to describe details on a car they know little about. This car appears to have good bones. I say that in context of if the body and underside is as solid as it appears, these are hard to find in a boattail unless you get a southwestern car in which the soft parts will be baked. So here you get what looks like an original interior, likely original trunk and spare, and (potentially) little to no rust with boattail and year specific parts in nice undamaged condition.

Yes paint is a concern since quality repaints are very expensive but when it comes to a driver, paint with defects is a blessing. That's what I liked so much about my 73. Take it to Walmart and park anywhere with no worry just like the good old days :)

Jason, I think you are correct. I looked up code 67 and it is midnight gray which is a Riviera only color. I looked at the pics again and it still looks brown to me?? Maybe it is under flourescent lights which does change hue...or maybe it`s me.  I`d like to see some pics in natural light. I think the car might be much more attractive. I dont recall ever seeing a dark gray `73?

Tom

3 hours ago, PWB said:

Check out the tucked in bumper.

Looks sooooo much better. :rolleyes:

00B0B_hitgdh7hQBg_1200x900.jpg

That`s why I mentioned the "big bumper" models. I owned a very nice `73 for a handful of years, bought it off the show field at a BCA meet. I`m pretty sure it was a senior car but that`s not why I bought it. I fell in love with the color combo and the wife needed a new driver. I asked the owner when he was going to let me write a check for his car and he handed me a pen. I asked how much? And wrote a check. It took 5 minutes to buy the car and we were very happy with the car for maybe 5 years...but every time I looked at the car I imagined how and what it would take to get rid of that front bumper.

Tom

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:07 AM, PWB said:

And he went all Willy nilly with a spray can of Chevy orange ? all over the engine bay.

Been there -- an easy fix, though.  (I still like that dark blue one without the vinyl top...)

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Been there -- an easy fix, though.  (I still like that dark blue one without the vinyl top...)

I agree...nice car, appears to be in excellent condition for original with excellent documentation. The car looks like it was garage kept and well cared for.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjp69 said:

Thanks to you and RivDrivn. The only consolette car. 

I'm thinking conversion to silver as in the Silver Arrow silver.

Owners on holiday but I'm on it like white on rice.

- gave up finding my '67 Electra Limited. Man, those are a rare breed in good shape!

one day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 8:45 AM, EmTee said:

Update?  So, do you have that '73 in your stable yet?

Yes Tim, finally.

350 4 Barrel / stock dual exhaust big banana.  Zero rust. Still has bright silver unpainted surfaces in the trunk. 

Light colored cloth seats for the hot summers here.

Nice driver not too bad on gas. I'll trade for the right '73 Riv' someday.

Happy fathers day all!

Monte.JPG

• Like 3