What is your favorite Buick between '48 and '57?

Ronnie

• Ronnie changed the title to What is your favorite Buick between '48 and '57?

Personal choice purely and in my opinion the 1954 Century hardtop or convertible is a beautiful looking auto.  Don't have one but that is my favourite from your list.  Regards, Gary

• Like 1

1956 IS, IN MY OPINION, SOME OF THE CLEANEST STYLING (sorry for the All-Caps) -

very well proven dependability

great availability of parts

not extreme prices

Excellent member support,

and AMAZING PERFORMANCE - Zero to 60mph in UNDER 10 SECONDS - IN 1956

If I had more room, I'd go for a Century Hardtop,

image.jpeg.341c6c0cbd3130d452317cd51034e087.jpegimage.jpeg.c9c79b909ecb071344d0273f03a99d3f.jpegimage.jpeg.99e81ddca871c0a2f3474451f7eda859.jpeg

and with more $$$$ - the Roadmaster convertible

image.jpeg.bb14461f4f2461d1890de6e92fb7daf8.jpegimage.jpeg.107ad2f70eb90ae79d29de4c8fd96be7.jpegImage result for 1956 buick roadmaster convertible

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

If you like Buicks any year would be a good choice. There was a tremendous improvement in all cars during that decade, possibly more than any other since the pioneer days of the first cars. So, my choice would be a 1957. It has all the latest improvements like 12 volt electrics, V8 engine, power steering and brakes, and even air conditioning was available. Plus I like the style of the 57s. As  far as model goes it is hard to choose between the 2 door hardtop and the Caballero station wagon.

Let's come at this from another angle. Your question indicates you like all these years equally or at least have no clear choice. There is a performance advantage to the newer ones but it is not all that large. Buicks were always powerful cars with 8 cylinder engines and they will all keep up with modern traffic. So let's say you are willing to accept the limitations of the older straight eights.

You also indicate that cost is an issue. In that case it might be to your advantage to look at all years and models seeking the car in the best condition, with lowest miles that you can afford.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the replies!

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

So, my choice would be a 1957. It has all the latest improvements like 12 volt electrics, V8 engine, power steering and brakes, and even air conditioning was available.

Although I like the looks of the early '50s Buicks really well I remember my neighbor having one that had the lever shocks. I'm sure it was worn out but it was like a boat rolling through curves and with no power steering it was a handful to maneuver in slow traffic. I like the idea of getting a lot of modern features in the '57,

The lever shocks are supposed to last the life of the car but you need to top them up with hydraulic jack fluid from time to time. If you get a real bad leaker they can be rebuilt. Or tubular shocks added.

The old ones were roly poly but had tightened up a bit by the mid fifties. New shocks, or filling the old ones, helps a lot. Even so they are not recommended for people who suffer from sea sickness.

• Haha 1

Rusty_OToole  I had two of them in the 60's,  a two door manual and a four door automatic.  Both wonderful cars.  The only problem with the automatic was the Carter carb.  The standard had a Stromberg.  I consistently travelled 400 miles in 5 hours with one stop for food and gas.  Drove the same trip the year round.  Never had a problem in any kind of weather after the first one way trip.  The car had 29,000 miles and had only been out of the city of Moose Jaw (25 mph speed limit) once and had sat for ten months.  Real difficult to get started, headed out to Winnipeg.  It would not run over 45 mph for nearly 200 miles.  Loosened up a bit and after a couple more highway runs it would run like  scared cat.  The four door was not quite as fast but oooo so smooooth.  Pavement, gravel or dirt absolutely comfortable, up down or on the level.

Maybe not the most beautiful car in the world but as close to perfect as an ordinary person could ever hope for.

Put me in the 54, 55 Century hardtop or cvt group.  56 also but favorite is a draw on first two years.  Buick made some great prewar cars as well as postwar, through 50s.  Have also thought about a 37, 38, 39 Buick or 54, 55. 56.  A little bit of a premium car but not always priced that way!

• Like 1

I absolutely love my '53 Special; however, I would suggest buying a V8 car.  The speed limit on one of my local freeways was just increased to 75 mph, and people regularly drive 85.  Others have disagreed with me, but it is my opinion that running over 70 mph in one of the old straight 8 cars is asking for trouble; the car just doesn't feel comfortable at that speed.  It will do it for sure, but a V8 car was built for that kind of driving.  Like Rusty said, there's a BIG difference between a '53 model and a '57 model almost anything.  

When I drive on the freeway, I judge a car's "freewayworthiness" by my speed when I'm not paying attention to the speedometer.  If it sometimes creeps up to 80, it's a good freeway car.  If I end up at 55-60, it's not.  My '53 is not.  

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

80MPH average for 5 hours in a straight eight 53 Buick? Wow. I'm impressed. I can see it on those long straight prairie roads but am a bit surprised the rod didn't come thru the block eventually.

Never a problem with the rods but I did collapse a piston one night after passing a semi and then suddenly backing off the accelerator.  The Buick dealer (Patterson Motors) in Moose Jaw replaced the piston and I was on my way home the next day.  Made that trip once or twice a month for seven years.

Did production drop on 54 Buicks? And then go up in 55? You just see more 53,55 and 56 Buick's on the market, compared to the number of 54's. Finding nice restored/original 54 Roadmasters is tough. And they seem to bring more money, when compared to 53,55,56's?