Please introduce yourself...

Im just not exactly mechanically inclined....I call a towtruck when I get a flat!

LOL!:D

On your starting issues it sounds like the fuel is draining out of the carb which is prone to happen with sitting, happens on my '38. Not really anything wrong with it. Driving and starting it more often will help.

The rough running could be a variety of things. Best advice: start simple and inexpensive then progress to less simple and more expensive if the cheap things don't work. In this case perhaps a new batch of gas is in order as a starting point. No tow truck required, either!

Guest louisrocco

Hello All, I'm new to the forum but I've always been a Buick fan. I've had a couple of 69 Skylark convertibles, a couple of T Type Regals and now a 1950 2 door Sedanette. I posted some pictures on my profile page. It is a work in progress so I'm sure I'll be posting regularly. I live in Northern VA outside DC. Thanks for making me feel welcome, Lou

Hello All, I'm new to the forum but I've always been a Buick fan. I've had a couple of 69 Skylark convertibles, a couple of T Type Regals and now a 1950 2 door Sedanette. I posted some pictures on my profile page. It is a work in progress so I'm sure I'll be posting regularly. I live in Northern VA outside DC. Thanks for making me feel welcome, Lou

Welcome Lou, always nice to have another 1950 Jetback Sedanette on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roguewave

Hello all, Rob here in Texas. Just got home last nigh with my new 1946 Buick Super. Been sitting in a barn for over 25 years here in Texas. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with it, just thought it was cool and wanted to share. Been messin' with old cars and fast bikes for many many years.

Regards :cool:

roguewave,

I purchased my 46 4-door recently too, and it is a driver, but needs some brake work before I plan on taking off in it. Mine is a Road Master.

At present it is in my enclosed second garage, and when spring arrives I will really check it out. So far I have been very happy with what I have found in looking it over.

Good for you, I wish you well, for sure.

Dale in Indy

Hi,

My name is Stephen. I have recently discovered this place. It seems like a great forum ... lots of knowledge floating around, and the people seem willing to be very helpful. I plan on starting my restoration project (51 Catalina), in a few months.

thanks

Guest juicy4improv

Hi there,

I just signed up, I'm Juice from Amsterdam.

Last year I bought a 1957 Buick Series 40/Special Convertible. Not knowing very much about car maintenance, let alone restoration, it was an impulse purchase I have not regretted so far. It is restored (see pictures), but I am quite certain not all parts are original. For now, that's OK with me, but I'm looking forward to changing that over time, gradually. I'd like it to be as original as possible.

Juice

6781292783_bf682caa8d.jpg

6781293471_342d7038f8.jpg

6781298203_0dcfe6cacf.jpg

6781297113_6532114cf1.jpg

Hello Juice,

Welcome! There seems to be more and more 57 Buick's coming out of the wood work. You will find everything you need on this forum from parts to advice. I too just joined and purchased a 57 special. I haven't been a member for long and can teel you your at the right place. If you haven't joined the BCA it is a must on your to do list. Its a great magazine and club to belong to. So post away and start the knowledge a flowing.

Darren

For now, that's OK with me, but I'm looking forward to changing that over time, gradually. I'd like it to be as original as possible.

Too late Juice. That is a nice car, but it is modified way too much to bring back to original at a reasonable price. Drive it and enjoy it.

Welcome aboard.

Guest juicy4improv

@smithbrother, First Born:

Thanks for pointing those out. I've been googling for days and at last I think have the actual model right (1957 Buick Series 40 ("Special") Convertible). That is a good start for somebody who has no clue what he is talking about. I have yet to ID the relevant parts and see which ones are not original. Any help is welcome, but I'll assume we will do that in another forum. I come from zero knowledge and while I am an active googler it will be a challenge to get it all right.

The oddness of the engine may be explained by the fact that this is a car in Cuba. It looked like this a while ago:

6788869363_78a1f23c7b.jpg

6788869245_b3fa181ab0.jpg

Done on and off over about three years without any access to the resources, shops and tooling that we have at our disposal, I am well impressed they managed to get it this nice. I am confident it doesn't match all the original parts but we can probably improve this over time. Even information on what the original parts are is hard to come by over there. Everyone has been making so many changes to their cars, just to keep them running, that sometimes it is a mystery to find out what they looked like originally.

Juice

Guest juicy4improv
Too late Juice. That is a nice car, but it is modified way too much to bring back to original at a reasonable price.

Agreed. Very well possible.

It's a Buick Engine. No doubt about that. 8 cylinders Overhead valve. That's a Buick alright. But that engine is from a 1953 Buick or earlier. 1953 was the first year for Buick V8 engines. By 1954 all new Buicks had V8 engines.

you can see the fire wall is modified for the longer engine. the trans mission is protuding onto the passenger compartment.

It's very nice looking car!! Drive and Enjoy!!

My name is Gregg. I've been in business detailing automobiles since 1985. I live near San Diego and also look after a few car collections. I specialize in ultra high end detailing for concours d' elegance shows and such, but am happy to work on most any car or bike. I currently own a 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe. Even though I get to drive and put my hands on many of the finest cars on the planet, it has been a real experience having a classic of my own. I've put over 8,000 miles on this car in the last 10 months. Won a few nice awards at shows, and have had very few problems considering the miles driven. I never thought I would get such a kick out of driving and showing my very own classic after so many years of showing client cars at Pebble Beach and such. I might sell the Imperial at some point, but I don't think I'll ever not have a neat old car of my own again.

Gar

photobucket-2476-1318099236406.jpg?t=1318099237

2011-08-02_19-30-25_555.jpg

2011-07-01_19-35-52_482.jpg

2011-07-01_19-36-52_932.jpg

Edited by BigGar (see edit history)

Guest 56Super

I am new to this site and I need help!

I have a 56 Buick Super that is leaking like Niagra Falls.

Its comming from the front, Im assuming from the front pump seal.

Im a member of RRR and some of the guys said that without looking at it that thats what it sounds like. I want to keep the original drivetrain if I can so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest 56Super

Im a member of RRR and some of the guys said that without looking at it that thats what it sounds like. I want to keep the original drivetrain if I can so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is my first buick! I am very excited about this car and havine lots of fun with my family in it!

Thanks

Find a GOOD transmission shop and ask them if they know Dynaflow transmissions. If they don't ask them to recommend one. You're probably needing to rebuild the Dynaflow. Rebuild kits a re available.

You might get advice tho change to a different later model transmission. To change will be a major undertaking that will require changing the torque tube drive shaft and the rear axle and suspension.

Dynaflows are very dependable and strong transmissions. They just need a rebuild every 50 years or so.

This is my first buick! I am very excited about this car and havine lots of fun with my family in it!

I've had my Buick 42 years. I've never had trouble from the Dynaflow. About ten years ago I had the Dynaflow rebuilt just because it was approaching 50 years old. I've never had any trouble since then either.

Guest 56Super
I've had my Buick 42 years. I've never had trouble from the Dynaflow. About ten years ago I had the Dynaflow rebuilt just because it was approaching 50 years old. I've never had any trouble since then either.

THAT is a BEAUTIFUL car brother. :eek:

Wish I had the money to make mine look as nice!

Thanks

This could be any of three things, or all three combined.

1) Engine oil from the front seal ( normally this would not be like Niagara Falls but a slow steady drip) Is it brown in color?

2) Transmission fluid from the tranny cooler lines. 56 is the first year Buick put the automatic trans cooler in the lower tank of the radiator. The lines could be broken or corroded. Is the fluid red? Is there also antifreeze there? This could potentially look like a massive leak.

3) Power Steering fluid from a broken line between the pump and steering box. Power steering fluid is normally clear, however it may also be red like transmission fluid because that's what was used originally.

Looking at the front of the car, which side of the car does it drip from? Drivers, passengers or the middle?

Guest 56Super
This could be any of three things, or all three combined.

1) Engine oil from the front seal ( normally this would not be like Niagara Falls but a slow steady drip) Is it brown in color?

2) Transmission fluid from the tranny cooler lines. 56 is the first year Buick put the automatic trans cooler in the lower tank of the radiator. The lines could be broken or corroded. Is the fluid red? Is there also antifreeze there? This could potentially look like a massive leak.

3) Power Steering fluid from a broken line between the pump and steering box. Power steering fluid is normally clear, however it may also be red like transmission fluid because that's what was used originally.

Looking at the front of the car, which side of the car does it drip from? Drivers, passengers or the middle?

Not engine oil, it is tranny fluid. The engine funs awesome(knock on wood).

There is a plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, the leak has been coming from there. I pulled that plate and the plate HAD a seal on it, the seal has seen better days. I plan on replacing that seal or is that not even a consideration, thats why I thought it would be the front pump seal. I have read on here that sometime the bolts on the "torque converter" come loose and that could be it to, so I guess that would be my next lookie-look... I will look at the lines like you suggested though.

Not engine oil, it is tranny fluid. The engine funs awesome(knock on wood).

There is a plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, the leak has been coming from there. I pulled that plate and the plate HAD a seal on it, the seal has seen better days. I plan on replacing that seal or is that not even a consideration, thats why I thought it would be the front pump seal. I have read on here that sometime the bolts on the "torque converter" come loose and that could be it to, so I guess that would be my next lookie-look... I will look at the lines like you suggested though.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. As for the inspection plate, I did not even realize there was a seal for it, but if you have a tranny leak in the front I think you are right to try and tighten the torque converter bolts first.

How long have you had the car? Often if these are sitting for a long period ( like 4 months of the winter) the seals will leak, but many times the seals will work after the car is used regularly for a month or so.

Guest BLACK AIR

Hello. My name is Andrew Filippone Jr. and I'm a filmmaker in New York City. Later this year, I'll be releasing a 60-minute documentary film called "BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary."

I began work on this self-initiated, self-funded project in January 2009. The Buick community has been a huge help since day one, connecting me with information, key players, and archival photos and documents.

An official website for the film will be launched in early summer, but, in the meantime, project information and updates can be found on our Facebook page at:

Black Air: The Buick Grand National Documentary | Facebook

Thank you, and all the best...

-Andrew Filippone Jr.

Director/Editor

BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary

Guest shadetree77
I always enjoy seeing pictures of the cars from Cuba. Their people have less options for vehicles and care very well for all that they have. Sometimes you will see crossbreeds. Lovin' it!

This is a little late, but if you like looking at Cuban cars have you watched the movie "Yank Tanks"? It's a documentary about what the Cuban guys go through to maintain their cars. I love it. I've watched it several times. Great movie. Netflix used to have it on streaming but I see they have taken it down and switched it to "DVD Only".

Guest rboozie

Hi Mike,I am Ron Busenlehner and have a 1955 Buick Special ,2 door hardtop for sale.If you should hear of anyone looking for a restored one,please let me know. Thanks