1928 Model A, Rough, AKRON OH $3,000 obo

Local buyer only--must pick up. Akron, Ohio

No title. Engine frozen/locked up and non-functional, but it is all there. Engine, axles, and wheels are frozen, frame has cracks. Missing--speedometer, seats, steering wheel, tail lights, and probably other small pieces. This is an incomplete and non-functioning vehicle. You will need a trailer or flat-bed to take it home. 

Email terencebricker@yahoo.com if you would like to see the car, or if you have any questions about the vehicle. I'm listing this for my brother and know pretty much nothing about this car, so asking questions on here would be pointless.

P3241262.JPG

P3241260.JPG

P3241263.JPG

P3241264.JPG

P3241266.JPG

P3241267.JPG

P3241273.JPG

P3241274.JPG

P3241275.JPG

I was thinking perhaps "I'll pay $100 to have this removed". Virtually all parts for one of these can be purchased as new repo for a fraction of what it would cost to  restore the pieces seen here. And then there is the matter of all the key missing pieces. As TB says, nice backyard art if left to finish it's days in the shade of an old tree.

The reality that a restorer will want to jump on a 3000. Model a Tudor sedan with a locked engine wheels and Axles,  missing a bunch of parts  with every piece there needing some pretty good metal work and a frame that's cracked for a buy in price of 3000. is exactly what is killing the hobby,  not the guys pointing out that buy in prices are being jacked up by wanna be flippers. (everyone thinks now that there slightly better Model A is now worth a whole lot more,  the Barret Jackson Syndrome)  This same car can be had running and driving,  even somewhat presentable for 8000 or so with pretty nice examples,  just north of 10G or so.  

• Like 3

Auburn,

did Bricker, a newbie by the way, ask you for your opinion?

NO.

He is just trying to sell his car.............................. He can ask any price he likes.

Funny, how all of you guys think your cars are worth a fortune (brass is best comes to mind) and yet you dog everyone else.

Definitely something to think about and keep wondering why the hobby is dying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daniel boeve said:

Hobby is dying as one member says ? Of course , this is no old car hobby anymore it is more an investment club where you are  looked upon as a stranger when you don't presume that your car is worth more every year ....

If you don't think your antique car is worth more every year, you're the only one. I agree with you, but you are in the distinct minority who doesn't seem to think that just by existing another year old cars get more valuable. There's a big market correction coming (it's already here, most people are just in denial) and it will not be easy for most hobbyists to accept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

Auburn,

did Bricker, a newbie by the way, ask you for your opinion?

NO.

He is just trying to sell his car.............................. He can ask any price he likes.

Funny, how all of you guys think your cars are worth a fortune (brass is best comes to mind) and yet you dog everyone else.

Definitely something to think about and keep wondering why the hobby is dying.

Actually he posted this for his brother and knows nothing about the car,  so we probably won't see him back either way.  So almost like a craigslist repost.   Usually the guys who stick around don't start their very first post with a for sale ad.   

There appears to be some fairly re-usable parts, albeit parts that will require substantial work , left on the car but only usable at the right price. To think that just because something is old that it's worth a lot of money is how most folks think today. One can presumably make a silk purse from a sows ear, but are they willing to pay a higher price for the sow's ear only to end up with a less valuable silk purse in return. Prices really need to be commensurate and realistic with the condition of the item being sold. Inflated prices for almost everything in this hobby today, at least in my opinion, has hindered and will continue to hinder it's growth.

• Like 1

I don’t really see much problem with any of the criticisms of the pricing in the post. I didn’t read where the poster was attacked for not being more knowledgeable or for asking too much. I think it’s pretty much understood that the poster did what he was asked of by his brother and I’m sure someone told his brother the car was worth the asking price, yet, they did put in the OBO statement. 

To claim the hobby is dying because there’s purists in it is absurd. If your into Olds cars, there’s many offshoots of the hobby like all original, mild custom, resto-mod, etc. In reality, if it wasn’t for the purists, someone who appreciated the car for what it originally was, NONE would have survived. It was those purists who chose to keep that car outback in the hope of one day restoring it that allowed that hot rod guy to even see it behind that barn or shed, then later make it into his customized version. What it comes down to is different opinions and that isn’t going to change. I have kept my 32’ Olds roadster all original and I believe it will be the absolutely closest to OEM of any of the three that will be on the road. I’d like to hope, once it’s shown and hopefully recognized by doing well at the shows, that it’s value would be in the $50+ K range but I realize in this day and age it probably won’t be. Why? Because I’m a purist ruining the hobby? Could I rod it and get more money? Sure. Will it promote the hobby? Not one bit. Why? What would make it unique enough to do that, fancy paint? Been done. Blown big block? Been done. Fancy sound system? Been done. How about it’s because all things run in cycles and the hobby is at a down trend. Hot rods were the rage 20 yrs ago but they fell out of the limelight when the muscle cars took over but even now, the muscle car is losing favorability to the foreign car. Was it because of the hot rod guys attitudes that they fell out with the muscle car guys, or was it because of the old car purists, hot rod guys, muscle car guys, and resto-mod guys attitudes that the foreign cars are doing the best? Can people ruin a hobby, they sure can but it would have to be a huge majority and a new group will form with exactly the same appreciations yet a different approach to their voicing of their opinions.

I am involved in many hobbies. RC scale aircraft, garden trains, hawken rifle building, hunting, and restoring old cars to name a few. All are suffering declining participation. Why again we should ask. It’s people and people’s interests. Flying 50 years ago mystified many and they got into the hobby because of that. Today, babies are put on jets and flown all over the world and become desensitized to the magnificence of flight simply by growing older. Trains? Years ago trains connected our world and growing up watching a huge steam engine during a blow down captivated many just like airplanes did. Building Hawken muzzle loading rifles? Who the hell wants to shoot and load one component at a time these days? Right? Hunting? “ oh my god, you’re one of those killers!” Is what I get all the time now. No one realizes that originally, it’s how man put meat on the table. Old cars? Who the hell wants something noisy, I have to keep both hands and both feet occupied at the same time, and makes me do all the work? I can’t be on my personal device if I’m doing all that, right! Actually working on any car, original, rod, custom, etc., just takes too much time away from the virtual reality world most are preferring to live in these days. Don’t blame a purist in ANY discipline on any aspect of the hobby , instead simply blame ourselves for letting the generation after us for drifting away from it. Getting down off the box now.

Sure the price is a little high, but not completely absurd. Rat Rodder's like 2 door coaches almost as much as coupe's around here. A lot of rat rods I have seen use a body even further gone than this one. I bet at $2000.00 it would sell quickly. So what's wrong with starting a bit high and leaving some room to dicker, he does say O.B.O. right in the title line. The body tub alone would sell for $1200 -$1500 at a swap meet, I have seen several in that price range sell over the years. The rest of the car has to be worth $500-$600 or more.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Sure the price is a little high, but not completely absurd. Rat Rodder's like 2 door coaches almost as much as coupe's around here. A lot of rat rods I have seen use a body even further gone than this one. I bet at $2000.00 it would sell quickly. So what's wrong with starting a bit high and leaving some room to dicker, he does say O.B.O. right in the title line. The body tub alone would sell for $1200 -$1500 at a swap meet, I have seen several in that price range sell over the years. The rest of the car has to be worth $500-$600 or more.

Greg in Canada

Actually once you pull the body tub,  the original poster said everything else is pretty much shot so the value is almost exclusively in the tub. Trashed Model A fenders, headlights and a boat anchor drivetrain no matter how complete,  unfortunately have very little value as there is still quite a pile of parts that have been saved over the years and stashed away in far better condition.   

Yes, I suppose you are correct. I have to admit I have observed piles of used up Model A parts at swap meets with little sales activity.. I have even noticed one guy will have a table full of Model A odds and ends for a Dollar  or 2 each and a couple of hundred feet away someone else will have more or less the same stuff with a quick splash of paint at $10.00-$20.00 each . Often neither person seems to be selling much.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As they say they aren't making them anymore,  but then again,  they pretty much are piece by piece.  There always seem to be a lot of Model A Mechanical parts laying around.  Even some freshly restored pieces at reasonable prices offered up by rodder just looking for the tub of a partially or previously restored cars.  I can't help but think of the ad on a local craigslist a guy had for a Model A engine that just needed assembly.  It had been disassembled and painted.  Good thing you could see it while disassembled because the scores in one of the cylinders were so bad  you could see them in the thumbnail picture.  I believe he was asking 1500 for it.  That still sticks clearly in my mind.  

Something I've noticed is that some hot rodders, low riders, Harley, etc. enthusiasts, not only don't try to budget their hobby vehicles, they actually like to brag about how much they spent. Aside from the "Modified" forums, this is mostly a restoration website,  no knowledgeable restorer is going to pay the major portion of $3K for what's left of this car, and this website is pretty much knowledgeable restorer headquarters. The poster's putting out free ads wherever possible, and just waiting for offers. I doubt we'll never hear from him/her.

The guy may be asking a bit high for this car, but to insult the guy, telling him its a piece of junk, worth virtually nothing,  that would be better off being buried, is not doing your hobby any favours.

In South Africa and Zimbabwe, the guys here would die to find cars as complete and in such condition as this to restore. There is very little pre war stuff left in my country that can be bought to restore. I started looking for a car to rebuild in 1972 and even then, there was nothing as complete as this Model A to be found, we scrounged the countryside for pieces to build cars. 

North America is lucky to have so much stuff lying around still sitting and rotting, but one must realise, there are NO new ones being built and the day will come when cars as complete and as good as this will be hard to find. The crushers and scrap metal guys have been thru southern africa and other countries and are slowly eating up whats left else where. In a few years time you may regret not having saved cars like this one.

Viv.

• Like 1

This 1930 roadster pickup recently changed hands here. It was pieced together with bits and pieces from all over the country. No front fenders, gas tank, lights and lots of small stuff missing. Guys were fighting over buying it to restore.

Old cars are going to get scarce in the future guys.

wanted 006.jpg

wanted 002.jpg

wanted 003.jpg

wanted 004.jpg

wanted 005.jpg