77 Seville Noise update

MarkV

21 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

What he meant was aggregate the information not aggravate. Aggravate means to exacerbate or make worse, whereas aggregate means simplify by boiling it down or in other words to coalesce. Coalesce the information: bring it together in a boiled down simplified easier to understand form. The information in this thread does indeed need coalescing.

mike6024....I understand the "connotation" that is why i asked for him to comment. I would like to know if i should take him literally or in retrospect.

1 minute ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

I would like to know if i should take him literally or in retrospect.

Bernie likes to play with words--and our heads.  I think he typed "aggravate" deliberately, with "aggregate" as an appropriate substitute if/when challenged, and I admire the mental work he went to in order to make that happen.  :-)

Retiredmechanic74, I'm sure no offense was intended, but the Frequent Fliers on this site sometimes play word games when they should be under a hood.

• Like 1

Oh please!  Bernie does not need explained. 

Hopefully the PC crowd will be restrained.

Hopefully the shop he took it to Monday will pull the valve covers as was suggested  Feb 19.  Should prove or eliminate .

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

2 hours ago, AJFord54 said:

I just wish someone would take the damn valve cover off and listen!  :)

Seems like the aggregate has coalesced upon this being the belated next step. Perhaps aggravating. Suspense was killing me 35 or so posts ago ; starting to be a bit of what we used to call a "broken record". I keep clicking on this topic expecting to find a "Eureka !" revelation. Time to open wide and check that top end , MarkV.  

R.M.74 : I immediately checked G'ville C'list. Said Stick Shift Seville was a no show fo' me. I hope a fellow discussion forums friend bought it , sorts/restores it , and let's me take it for a test drive ! See how much fun we all have with one another ! When you and I were kids , remember the kindly old guys , then our age now , hangin' 'round the grease pit down on the corner ? Just a'chewing fat and chaw , spittin' in the sawdust and lending us tools and pit to work on our $35 cars ? Advice on everything from mechanical to romantical , and giving us insight on how to lead a better life. I believe I have called AACA forums a great big wonderful cyber grease pit , or something to that effect before. We are lucky to have become old and hang out here. And please pop them 'covers soon , MarkV ! The suspense is killin' us !      - CC 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C Carl said:

Seems like the aggregate has coalesced upon this being the belated next step. Perhaps aggravating. Suspense was killing me 35 or so posts ago ; starting to be a bit of what we used to call a "broken record". I keep clicking on this topic expecting to find a "Eureka !" revelation. Time to open wide and check that top end , MarkV.  

R.M.74 : I immediately checked G'ville C'list. Said Stick Shift Seville was a no show fo' me. I hope a fellow discussion forums friend bought it , sorts/restores it , and let's me take it for a test drive ! See how much fun we all have with one another ! When you and I were kids , remember the kindly old guys , then our age now , hangin' 'round the grease pit down on the corner ? Just a'chewing fat and chaw , spittin' in the sawdust and lending us tools and pit to work on our $35 cars ? Advice on everything from mechanical to romantical , and giving us insight on how to lead a better life. I believe I have called AACA forums a great big wonderful cyber grease pit , or something to that effect before. We are lucky to have become old and hang out here. And please pop them 'covers soon , MarkV ! The suspense is killin' us !      - CC 

Remember ........ The drive-insB)

Yeah, I have had things get blown out of proportion excrementally.

To the topic, that Caddy just needs to be opened up and explored. If the mechanical issue is a problem, wait until that mid'70's fuel injection needs attention.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, C Carl said:

I was wrong on the listing, It was posted on Facebook in Marketplace. I just looked for it and couldn't find it but there are some others on there you may be interested in. 

On 3/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, MarkV said:

The car is sputtering and essentially backfiring with the popping sound and won't go very fast.

I don't see where the possibility of crossed spark plug wires has been mentioned.  Crossed spark plug wires would cause the symptoms you describe.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't see where the possibility of crossed spark plug wires has been mentioned.  Crossed spark plug wires would cause the symptoms you describe.

Would that not be a hoot.

• Like 1

Love these posts! I am taking it a week from tomorrow over there, they are only open 8 to 5 weekdays which doesn't work for me until I have a day off as I have to arrange for the tow truck! Plugs are not crossed, injectors are 3 years old (car came with all receipts) it's at this point the lobe issue or exhaust. The original catalytic converter is still on the car by the way.

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Yeah, I have had things get blown out of proportion excrementally.

To the topic, that Caddy just needs to be opened up and explored. If the mechanical issue is a problem, wait until that mid'70's fuel injection needs attention.

Bernie

Funny;  having read enough of your postings I know you can spell exponentially and chose to use a more colorful descriptive.  I appreciate your humorous and proper use of the word.

1 hour ago, Bleach said:

Maybe all it needs is a good old fashioned Italian tune up. ;)

Yes indeed - just keep it below valve float. Fond memories of backing off at 70 in 2nd through a pair of Cherry Bombs - preferably in a tunnel or under a bridge ....... sort of like a Jake Brake on those long downhills at 3AM coming into a small town......... it was a better time........