Cardboard Box musty smell Removal

Mark Gregory

Someone on this Forum a few years ago suggested using Rubbing Alcohol to remove a musty smell from books and boxes ? ?  ?

I think it was enclose it in a plastic bag with a dish of Alcohol for a few days ?

What was the Type of Alcohol ?

Thanks 

I was given this and it has a Musty smell . I would have died to own this in 1963 .

http://tri-ang.weebly.com/transcontinental-sets-rs13.html

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I'll bet that the folks at the AACA Library will be able to help you out with your problem.  I'm sure that they deal with musty-smelling publications on a regular basis.  Let us know how you make out with this.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I've boxed up old parts in the original rather questionable  (way beyond musty, bordering on mouse infested and covered with mold)  packaging with fabric softener sheets before.  When I took the parts out a year or so later to actually go through it Seemed to help as long as you pick a smell of fabric softener sheet you like.   These were totes with mesh style bottoms so they weren't completely sealed. 

Really cool train set by the way. 

• Like 1

Sunshine! 

Not quick, and course if it rains while waiting for the sunshine to work, start over....:wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Someone on this Forum a few years ago suggested using Rubbing Alcohol to remove a musty smell from books and boxes ? ?  ?

I think it was enclose it in a plastic bag with a dish of Alcohol for a few days ?

What was the Type of Alcohol ?

Thanks 

I was given this and it has a Musty smell . I would have died to own this in 1963 .

http://tri-ang.weebly.com/transcontinental-sets-rs13.html

Household ammonia 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone I tried the www route first but could not get a straight answer . I trust the advice I get on this Forum even if it is not car related . I will proceed with the recommendations . I will also contact the AACA Library  and Smithsonian which is a good thought . They must deal with this on a daily basis . Yes I have given up a lot over the years for my old cars .

2 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Thanks everyone I tried the www route first but could not get a straight answer . I trust the advice I get on this Forum even if it is not car related . I will proceed with the recommendations . I will also contact the AACA Library  and Smithsonian which is a good thought . They must deal with this on a daily basis . Yes I have given up a lot over the years for my old cars .

Besides removing the smell you want to be careful not to degrade or bleach out the terrific graphics. Trial and error could be a poor choice. Be patient and check with the expert conservators.................Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Wolfe said:

An Ozone machine will remove that odor, we've used it in cars that had dead mice in them and to remove smoke odor from a home. Small ones sell on amazon or ebay. Some rental services rent them too.

Ozone is a bleaching agent................Bob

Ozone-smells like electric trains.  One needs to be of a certain age to understand this statement.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Ozone-smells like electric trains.  One needs to be of a certain age to understand this statement.:D

Ah yes. The crackle of electricity. The flickering light of sparks. A brief whiff of ozone. Ain't it grand...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

So my Wife looks over at me from her chair and says "Is that a book you just bought or one you had out in the garage for a long time?"

At least she laughed when I came back from the bathroom and she dodged the bottle of her hand lotion.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)