Good Chrome Shops

Bloo

There is another thread right now about where to get chrome done cheaply, but now I am wondering which shops offer the best quality. Frankly there aren't many plating shops of any type left. I will be needing some chrome done soon, just for a driver, but at this point am not wanting to skimp because I need it to last. I have not done this for a while, so I am a bit out of touch. Yes I know it is expensive.

Who do the serious restorers use and why?

Are you still getting hexavalent chrome?

Does the shop you use also handle restoration of the metal parts before chroming?

How long has it been taking to get stuff done?

Do you get things back when the shop estimates you will, or does it often take longer?

If there is anything you aren't comfortable posting in the forum, please PM me. Thanks. :)

I had all of the chrome for one of my '57 Buick Specials done by Bills Chrome in Jeanette, PA. Excellent work! Guarantees his work. Small shop in that it is pretty much a one man shop as Bill does all the chrome work himself. Usually a two month lead time if I recall and all of my work was completed when he said it would be ready. He did the work on a Riddler Award car a few years back if I recall. I felt he was a great guy to work with and he was recommended by a small private museum/collector. His work is great but EXPENSIVE!

Gary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Who do the serious restorers use and why?

Are you still getting hexavalent chrome?

Does the shop you use also handle restoration of the metal parts before chroming?

How long has it been taking to get stuff done?

Do you get things back when the shop estimates you will, or does it often take longer?

If there is anything you aren't comfortable posting in the forum, please PM me. Thanks. :)

There are lots of decent shops, the guys who do the Pebble Beach winners are very busy and most won't take new customers. A PB chrome bill for a pre war big car can run 75k to 150k  depending on condition and the car.

• Like 1

like everything else , you get what you pay far--used a shop in Dayton ,Ohio--good quality,quick turn around, it was to good to be true, till I gave them my windshield frame, well they made a liar out of me--after the 4th time of plating it, they said "that'sthe best they could do,i'll just have to live with it "  --I don't want to talk about the time it took for nothing--the 2 weeks ended up being 2 to 3 months---I took it to advanced plating in Nashville,Tn. who had done most of the other plating on the car, including the styled steel wheels--excellent work,  real good people to deal with---Tom

• Like 2

We use Cambridge Chrome.

They're up in Canada, they're not fast, they're not cheap, but they are GOOD!!

We dealt with four different platers before we went to Cambridge, after we went to Cambridge we stopped looking. 

I'm not saying they're the best, I'm not saying that there isn't someone out there who is better, I'm not saying that there isn't someone who is cheaper, but after dealing with other platers, we're going to stick with what works, and Cambridge works for us.

We've sent a lot of people to Cambridge and I've never had anyone we sent to them complain about the finished product.  If I see a car on the show field with Canadian license plates, and I've asked them who did their chrome, I've yet to find a Candian that didn't have Cambridge do their chrome either.

Cambridge has a drop off point in Buffalo, we'll drop our chrome off in Buffalo, they'll come across the border, pick it up, run it through customs and then call you up with a price.  Sometimes we'll drop it off in Buffalo, sometimes we'll have them ship it UPS right to our door.  Depending on what the exchange rate is, sometimes you get more for your dollar if the American dollar is up higher than the Canadian dollar is.

Cambridge also sets up in the Red Field at Hershey over by the stadium as well because we've dropped stuff off there too.  There is a friend of ours from New Jersey who sent headlight doors to Cambridge.  He got them back, he was pleased and he claims that he got a better job at a better price at Cambridge.

The advantage of going to the Canadians is that they're able to still process chrome with chemicals that the EPA has banned in the United States so you'll get a better job.

In terms of chrome, if it's cheap and you can get it back fast, it's probably not good.

Another good rule of thumb?? 

If you see a car and you like the finish of the chrome, ask the owner who did it.  If they're happy or unhappy with it, most car owners will gladly tell you who they used.  A friend of ours used Cambridge to do the bumpers on his '67 Chevelle.  The car was parked at a local show next to another '67 Chevelle where the owner put brand new reproduction bumpers on the car.  The different between the bumpers on the two cars??  Night and day.

If you're going to keep the car, do it once, do it right and be done with it.  If you plan to flip the car, do it cheap, take the money and walk away.

From the standpoint of chrome, I will tell you that I've heard some awfull horror stories about the Bumper Boyz.  We've never used them, but the ones we know who did were not happy, and it required the hassles of shipping and sending stuff back because it wasn't good or didn't last.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I use Paul's Chrome in Mars PA and have always had good results. They may be a little higher priced than other shops but they do all the prep work and have a lifetime guarantee which they do honor. If you think that you  may have a fitment problem, you should always send both the part to be plated and the part in which it fits to make sure. While they have corrected some issues for me, they are not responsible for parts that don't fit after plating without a trial piece. I have also used M & P Plating in Jeanette PA for smaller interior parts with very good results also. Both shops are busy so you may have to wait awhile but they have always been within their quoted prices. I do know that some local restoration shops use Paul's exclusively. Paul's also make a concerted effort to document all of your parts with photographs,  both in the quotes and during production to make sure that nothing is lost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpage said:

Paul's also make a concerted effort to document all of your parts with photographs,  both in the quotes and during production to make sure that nothing is lost.

Most good chrome shops do this.

• Like 1

Todd Librandi does great work and I endorse them but also need to give a shout out to Advanced Plating.  They just did a rush job for us (4 weeks) with two pitted pieces of pot metal that went on our bookmobile.  It came back PERFECT and the price was relatively reasonable compared to other work that has been done. 

• Like 3

Hi Bloo. Perhaps more convenient to you , is Art Brass Plating in Seattle. 206-767-4443 , or 800-828-3186. I have used them , and the Big Boys do too. Please let me know if you find someone closer yet , as I am just over the hill from you.  - Carl 

• Like 1

I had a pot metal folding windshield that no one in LA would take on. Sherms in Sacramento gave me a quote that was of course expensive but they did a beautiful job. Each pit was removed and filled. He said he did not quote me enough and was under water but he stuck by what he said. http://www.shermsplating.com/aboutus.html 

• Like 1

I live a long distance away, but have used only Paul's Plating ever since about 2006. 

Not cheap, but the quality is first rate, and their guarantee is too

• Like 1