Trailer

captndan

I'm running 80 psi also, on four brand new tires.

The reason for the new tires?  Two blow outs on my last trip, one on each side, and each blowout taking the trailer fender with it.

Here's my recipe for the "fender delete" option on my trailer:

-ignore how old the tires are, I was running tires that were 8 to 10 years old, and they were junk, although a trailer shop had told me they were "OK"

-don't pay attention to recommended tire pressure, I was running 50 psi, which meant the tires were flexing quite a bit, leading to failure...again, at recommendation of this trailer shop

So, to put it in a positive mode, change tires on your trailer every 5 years, and keep them inflated to recommended tire pressure.  Yes, it's expensive, but so was the windshield on the pickup truck that one of my fenders smashed.  Very lucky no one was hurt.......

truck.JPG

• Like 2

My extra-tall 2004 trailer with three 5200 lb axles acquired a year ago had 15" wheels with aged tires, one of which let go coming home from the auction.  All 15" ST (Special Trailer) tires are made in China, and I'm frequently replacing them on my other 3-axle enclosed trailer.  Wanted to change to LT (Light Truck) load range E tires, but only load range B are available.  Decided to see if I could accommodate 16" wheels and tires, so I loaded the trailer and measured clearances to adjoining tires.  Still had plenty of room for 16s, so bought 8 (2 spares) new US-made wheels and BFG Commercial T/A LT 10-ply load range E tires. Difference in diameter was one inch, which means 1/2 inch less clearance to fender and one inch less clearance between adjoining wheels--but still have plenty.  

Here is the only tire I would ever run on a trailer. It weighs 61 pounds, load range G. 14 ply.  4500 pound weight rating per tire from memory. I would never run a Chinese tires,  but this is the one exception.  The company is ISO 9000.  These  tires run 110 pounds of air pressure.  They're good for about 100,000 miles.  My current set has 40,000 miles on it no flats no problems.  Sidewalls are like iron, they run nice and cool through the dessert. They are less than half worn. We run hard as well as heavy.  There is no better trailer tire on the market anywhere,  and the price is extremely reasonable.  When I bought my set everybody in the shop was very impressed with them.  Lots  of the local guys are now running these. The RV guys love them. Ed

IMG_3260.PNG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have put several (5-6) round trips on my 16', all metal car hauler. (About 4500 miles RT - Tx to Or). I had brand new tires put on when I started. I had to use the same kind as my RV. I think 14"? I could look if it mattered. 

I've had one blowout when I had less than 500 miles on them. It was because I had too much weight on the axel. It happened in Rosewell, NM, so I suppose it could have been the aliens also? 

I didn't load the trailer and I didn't any know better.  We moved the car back after that and it was fine. Subsequent trips I paid attention And didn't make the same mistake and never had another issue. 

Here is a pic of the A loaded which caused the flat. Here's a pic of the Bronco loaded back more and had no issues. I was later told the A also probably should have been loaded backwards. Weight distribution matters. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Never load a car backwards when towing with a pick up truck. The tail will wag the dog. Correct load distribution and  tongue weight are key. Load distributing hitch is a must also.  One of the most dangerous things you'll ever do in your life, is tow a car.  Personally from a safety standpoint I only use dually  pick up trucks.  I think anything less is very dangerous even with a normal modern car.  Put a V 16 Cadillac  on a trailer in nothing but bad things can happen.  There is very little margin for safety when towing a vehicle. 

• Like 1

Ed, my experience is that I have had no wag, even in the windy Oregon Gorge. I do not use a weight distribution and I don't have a dually. The cars I haul are not particularly heavy, but even with my travel travel I have had no issues. 

My father was a hot shot driver after driving an 18 wheeler and he, of course, used a Dually. I would imagine it depends on the truck and the load?

Heavy duty tires with 14 ply sidewalls are meant to carry heavy weights not go fast. They should be kept to 60MPH or less, especially in hot weather. The thick sidewalls build up heat and it can't disperse.

I am not disputing Edinmass, he says clearly that he inflates his tires to 110PSI and they are as hard as iron. With no flex no doubt the ride and braking are like iron too.

Many owners of large Airstream trailers have switched to light truck tires. They find they don't blow up at high speeds and the ride and braking are better than trailer tires. Even the best brands of trailer tires began to fail when hiway speeds went up to 70 and higher.

It is important to set up your rig so the trailer is level and the load evenly distributed between the tow vehicle and trailer tires. This can take some experimenting and checking on a weigh scale but once you have your tow vehicle and trailer set up, you just set it up the same every time.

Rusty, the tire is speed rated, (106 mph) and made to run at those pressures. Basically it's a small tractor trailer tire.  Tires are rated for 110 pounds on the sidewall.  I'm usually not one to promote any item but I can tell you these things are terrific.  We regularly carry 15,000  or better with the car , parts, and luggage. 

IMG_0017.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Ed, my experience is that I have had no wag, even in the windy Oregon Gorge. I do not use a weight distribution and I don't have a dually. The cars I haul are not particularly heavy, but even with my travel travel I have had no issues. 

My father was a hot shot driver after driving an 18 wheeler and he, of course, used a Dually. I would imagine it depends on the truck and the load?

Hi Vl2, I agree do not load a car backwards on a trailer. It is imperative that around 60 percent of hauled weight be on front half of trailer, and 40 percent on the rear. Failure to pay attention to this can result in the trailer suddenly jerking from side to side, and jerking the rear of the towing vehicle with it. I saw this happen once right in front of me on I25 in Denver. It was one of those small Uhaul trailers towed by a car. When the jerking started there was no warning, it violently started jumping from the lane of travel to half way into the adjoining lane and back and forth. Came close to rolling the car. Be safe, we enjoy your posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike36 said:

Hi Vl2, I agree do not load a car backwards on a trailer. It is imperative that around 60 percent of hauled weight be on front half of trailer, and 40 percent on the rear. Failure to pay attention to this can result in the trailer suddenly jerking from side to side, and jerking the rear of the towing vehicle with it. I saw this happen once right in front of me on I25 in Denver. It was one of those small Uhaul trailers towed by a car. When the jerking started there was no warning, it violently started jumping from the lane of travel to half way into the adjoining lane and back and forth. Came close to rolling the car. Be safe, we enjoy your posts.

Thanks Mike. I'm glad I didn't read all this before I started hauling. I would have been petrified! Ignorance is bliss. With the position I was in at the time I didn't have much choice but to "just do it". 

The boys in Texas who help me load, obviously know less than I thought. I had to get someone to help me move the 55 back during the trip last time because I was worried I was over the axel too much and I'd get another flat.

I have been super lucky. The truck and trailer work together like a dream. There's a guy in Tx who begs me to sell the trailer to him but I know if I did and needed to haul again, the chances of such a good combo would be too big a risk. 

I won't haul the '79 Lincoln and I had the '57 shipped. They are too big. With any luck, I won't have to haul many (or any) more. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks Mike. I'm glad I didn't read all this before I started hauling. I would have been petrified! Ignorance is bliss. With the position I was in at the time I didn't have much choice but to "just do it". 

The boys in Texas who help me load, obviously know less than I thought. I had to get someone to help me move the 55 back during the trip last time because I was worried I was over the axel too much and I'd get another flat.

I have been super lucky. The truck and trailer work together like a dream. There's a guy in Tx who begs me to sell the trailer to him but I know if I did and needed to haul again, the chances of such a good combo would be too big a risk. 

I won't haul the '79 Lincoln and I had the '57 shipped. They are too big. With any luck, I won't have to haul many (or any) more. 

Your father was fortunate to have such a capable person look after his "babies".

• Like 1

Go with what the tire mfg says on the tire. Pressure is based on ply number, size, speed rating and weight rating. You can blow a tire just putting air in it if it is hot or cold, worn or new, if you over inflate it. If it is a mfg trailer, you should have specs detailing this info. If homemade, the axle mfg specs will help. Be smart not sorry, load it properly and you will be safe. Have fun

21 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

Your father was fortunate to have such a capable person look after his "babies".

Thank you! 

Although I grew up with, and have a real appreciation for, old cars, I was more concerned with raising the money to care for Dad until the VA finally stepped up. 

Being that they were so far away and in such a rural area, I probably would have wholesaled most of them, if I hadn't needed the $ to pay his medical costs. 

If he'd have lived close enough that I wouldn't have had to give up my job and be so far from home for so long, I would have done my best to find them the right homes regardless.

It took me a long time to be able to walk in his garages without crying, and every car I've sold has brought me to tears. I typically am not present when they go. I didn't have an attachment to any of his current cars, but it seemed so wrong to sell off things that meant so much to him. Particularly when he's still alive and doesn't know. (He doesn't remember what he has).

An exception was the '50. That was picked up by the buyer, not a hauler, and I was thrilled that it went to a young man who had just restored a '53 Crestliner Convertible to original specs. I became friends with him and his mother. 

I have used Carlisle(yes I have heard the horror stories about Carlisle radials) Sport Trail Bias Ply on a boat trailer I tow behind a RV and small 7/16 covered trailer that I use to haul my small brass cars(just less than 5000lb loaded) at 45 lb psi and keep the speed around 60 MPH. So far no issues. I had Carlisle USA that worn out quick but the Sport Trails seem to last longer. It is my opinion that bias ply tires have stronger side walls than radials and I tow maybe a couple thousand miles a year so they will time out before they wear out. I know radials will go more miles but what's everyone's opinion on the sidewall strength of a bias vs radial?

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

Totally agree with respondents advising not to load a car backwards.

I have a tongue scale to determine safe tongue weight.  All the experts to include the instructions that came with the scale recommend 10-13% of the loaded trailers weight on the hitch for safe control.  Load leveling bars are a must for control.

Peter J.

10 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Weight distribution is very important no matter what size pickup one is using (yes, even heavy duty Dually trucks). Soon after I first started towing I purchased a trailer tongue scale. When I weighed my trailer I found that my tongue weight was 15+% on the tongue. After I move the car back about a foot and moved some other things around my tongue weight dropped closer to 10%.

From the photos you posted It appears that you have a 2014-2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with the 5.7L V8. I have the same model Tundra although mine is a few years older that I use to tow my enclosed 20 foot car trailer. The Tundra is a great tow vehicle as long as you do not exceed it's cargo & towing capacities. You might want to re-read your Tundra owners manual (Driving Information, Trailer Towing Section). There you will see that Toyota "requires" the use of a weight distributing hitch when the weight of the loaded trailer exceeds 5000 lbs. My loaded trailer comes in at 5,500 to 6,000 lbs so I use a weight distributing hitch (WDH) with dual cam sway control. With this system I seldom feel more than a very light nudge even with 30-40 mph cross winds or large rigs passing me. I have no idea what the weight is for the vehicles you towed in the pictures you posted. If/when you tow again you should seriously consider a WDH with sway control. 

Over the years I have seen a few trailers swaying out of control usually in front of me when I am towing. Long stories short, trailer sway is something to be avoided at all costs. Be safe when you tow.

Regarding the original tire question I have found that the country of manufacturing origin when it comes to trailer tires is not as important as the materials and manufacturing process used. The first set of tires on my trailer were made in China. Those tires lasted just over 5 years lasted 1000s of miles and had very few, if any, micro cracks (i keep them covered) in the sidewalls when I retired them due to age. I kept constant watch on the tire pressure and tried to stay with the max speeds recommended by the tire manufacturer. The next set of tires I purchased were Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tires  that were "Made in the USA". Those tires lasted 3.5 years before one blew due to debris on the road that I ran over. Closer examination of the other tires showed some of them had a number of microcracks in their sidewalls. Given these tires were always properly inflated, covered when not in use and I adhered to the manufacturer max speed recommendation  the cracks appeared to be related to the tire itself. So much for "Made in the USA" tires being better. Given the fact that Goodyear wouldn't stand behind their tires I decided on the Maxxis ST Radial M8008 Trailer tires with the D" load rating (8 ply tires). This is the highest load rating I can get for the tires that will fit my trailer. My trailer and it's cargo is not extremely heavy. I just wanted the maximum tire plies I could get in the size tire I can use.  At 3+ years so far these tires have performed very well. Oh, and BTW, Maxxis has a 6 year warranty on their tires according to their web site.

Charlie

I am astounded at the speeds you people are towing these large trailers. In this country, the maximum legal speed for trailers (and trucks) is 90 kph=56 mph!

This probably reflects our mountainous terrain plus smaller population and thus smaller roads. We don't have a lot of these big V8 utes you have.

Thanks Charlie and everyone who gave advice. If I tow again I will use the equipment advised. I asked about it initially because I worked at an RV place before and knew about them, but was told I didn't need it by multiple people. Finding help was hard though, and  was mostly ranchers in a hurry to get back to thier ranches. 

I've seen a video recently and it's pretty scary what can happen when the trailer sways. I was so lucky and never had any sway. That truck has a lot of power and I caught myself going pretty fast more than once. Texas has areas with 85 MPH speed limits so you can assume... It is a '15 Tundra with the V8 and does have some extra tow stuff on it. Heavy duty springs and I don't know what else. I had to add a break control at Toyota and they never said anything about the distribution hitch either or I would have purchased one.  I always felt "someone" was protecting me when I traveled. There was even a time I had tornados on both sides of me in Colorado and the highway was straight south and my path was sunny. On my trip home there were huge thunderstorms on both sides that I could see for miles as I approached northern Tx. The strikes were everywhere and very scary. I was driving alone with my pup also.  The storm seemed to part a path for me and so did the rain. So many times things like that happened. If I never have to tow again I will be happy. 

46 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I am astounded at the speeds you people are towing these large trailers. In this country, the maximum legal speed for trailers (and trucks) is 90 kph=56 mph!

This probably reflects our mountainous terrain plus smaller population and thus smaller roads. We don't have a lot of these big V8 utes you have.

I live in Canada and I am astounded too. Apparently Americans think nothing of hitching up a 34 foot Airstream trailer to their 1 1/2 ton Dually and towing it across the Southwest at 85MPH in 110 degree heat. Or the same in western Canada where you can keep your foot in it for 3 or 4 days running, and the land is so flat and the roads so straight  they had to put a few curves in the hiway every  hundred miles to stop people falling asleep.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)