Beautiful Dodge Brothers Winged Emblem - Fantastic Patina!

I fully agree with the above comments regarding the condition, but I also agree with John to a point. 

There is a beginner collector somewhere that might look at this, but I place its value closer to $45 including shipping (on the high side) than the $115 it's on eBay for. I would not even want to think about the cost of having it restored but it could be done by someone like Carla Maxwell if you were not able to find another.

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Yes, it can be saved. The main thing here is the misrepresentation of the item.

eBay or Craigslist... need you say any more than that? There are a lot of good sellers and I have bought some pretty good NOS stuff for my car, but a lot more sellers than that are doing a fine job of misrepresenting their stuff like the description of that emblem. What I love is looking thru the Model T Ford parts an seeing Packard and Chevrolet hubcaps listed there along with a bunch of other crap not even close to a T part. Sad, but nothing you can do about it even with this guy on this site.

Oh, and Money Pit is wrong - with the damage to the ridges between the colors in the wings, I don't think this could be saved and if it were it would still be extra rough in those areas and not useful for a show car in my opinion.

Edited by Mark Wetherbee
added botom comment (see edit history)

I want to sincerely apologize if anyone on this forum feels that this item was misrepresented in my initial post - that is certainly not my intention. The eBay listing and post include clear, close-up photos of all wear to the piece and this is described in the eBay listing. I have sold on eBay as a hobby for over 10 years and my feedback rating there is over 6000 and 100% positive. I have also sold directly to many AACA members. I back all items that I sell and do my best to describe / picture all items accurately. 

I do personally believe that this is a beautiful piece of history and as indicated on the ad, it is ideal as a display piece, to re-purpose or for use as-is on a 'rat rod' or driver condition car. 

Regarding price, this is the first week I have posted this item at auction. If it doesn't sell first week, I am open to offers from serious buyers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VintageLiterature said:

I want to sincerely apologize if anyone on this forum feels that this item was misrepresented in my initial post - that is certainly not my intention. The eBay listing and post include clear, close-up photos of all wear to the piece and this is described in the eBay listing. I have sold on eBay as a hobby for over 10 years and my feedback rating there is over 6000 and 100% positive. I have also sold directly to many AACA members. I back all items that I sell and do my best to describe / picture all items accurately. 

I do personally believe that this is a beautiful piece of history and as indicated on the ad, it is ideal as a display piece, to re-purpose or for use as-is on a 'rat rod' or driver condition car. 

Regarding price, this is the first week I have posted this item at auction. If it doesn't sell first week, I am open to offers from serious buyers. 

Personally, the only thing I find wrong is the word "patina". I am pretty sure someone could use it for what you describe. It is still a piece of history.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything on here, but, something needs to be corrected about Ms. Maxwell.  Her name is Karla Maxwell.  She is a personal friend of mine and she has done lots of work for me over the years with our three Buicks.  She more than likely could restore the above pictured Dodge emblem, however, it would take a bucket full of $100 bills.  Calling that emblem beautiful - I don't think so.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

19 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything on here, but, something needs to be corrected about Ms. Maxwell.  Her name is Karla Maxwell.  She is a personal friend of mine and she has done lots of work for me over the years with our three Buicks.  She more than likely could restore the above pictured Dodge emblem, however, it would take a bucket full of $100 bills.  Calling that emblem beautiful - I don't think so.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Sorry about that, it's a spell check thing with my phone...

A few years ago ago (10, 12?) I sent pictures and measurements to Karla of a Chalmers Detroit emblem and am still amazed by her reproduction of it for another Forum member. I never met her personally but talked with her at that time and then lost touch. Please give her my regards!

Pit, like I said, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything, but folks need to know how to spell her name in the event they would want to contact her.  This gal is beyond a craftsman - she is an artist at working with metals.  She is a   super nice person and it isn't very often that a lady will understand the goings on in a restoration shop like she does.  

Terry Wiegand

Out in Soggy Doo Dah

I've been collecting, buying and selling radiator emblems since the late 90s. Before Ebay came along they were difficult to find but like many other things Ebay completely changed the marketplace. As I built my collection I learned a few things: 1. there is an absolute shitload of these out there because they're pretty and people collected them from day one. 2. Because there is so many of them wait to buy the best quality you can find. 3. Many sellers of these think that common make examples are worth a fortune but they are not. 4. The really rare ones are worth a fortune because they are already in collections and don't come up very often.

Lately the pricing for these on Ebay has become almost ridiculous with people asking $50 to $100 for a Chevy bowtie or a Model A oval (but not getting it.) The OP's Ebay listing is a good one with detailed photos and description and the word patina works fine. Regarding the price it is high but surprisingly even though Dodge Brothers stuff is very common it sells very well, so - who knows?