What's this antique

Guest geep

I vote for 1915 c25 Buick, the light touring.  The rise from the hood to the windscreen is more pronounced in the 25 series.  I am restoring one presently and it is good to see an old, original photo.  Larry check the Buick Crestline book to see the difference in hood height.  Interesting Buicks were all black then but not today.  Gary

• Like 1

Yes it was, I have pictures of her first two daughters dressed similarly.  You and your fellow antique car buffs have been so helpful but I have a question regarding the ID:  could that car have been a Cadillac?  I have a letter my Mom wrote to her Mom telling her about this young man she met and in it she mentions that the family has a Ford and a Cadillac.  I now have another auto I hope your group can help me identify and will attach it herewith.

PICT0008.png

On 1/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, dibarlaw said:

Yes 1915 C-37. The plate shows a 1920 date. The car looks to have a nice new top. The original top does not have the gypsy sides as shown here.

Larry

Dibarlaw, please elaborate. The OP's old B&W photo does show a nice, new-looking top. I have a 1923 touring car of my own, but I am totally unfamiliar with the term "Gypsy Sides," and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary in that photo. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment. 

18 minutes ago, lump said:

Dibarlaw, please elaborate. The OP's old B&W photo does show a nice, new-looking top. I have a 1923 touring car of my own, but I am totally unfamiliar with the term "Gypsy Sides," and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary in that photo. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment. 

Lump, the "Gypsy Side" is the flap of material on the rear that comes around and follows the rear top bow. If you look at the small photo of the blue car in my previous post it shows the stock style top that only attached to the rear portion of the seat and did not come around to the bow. Hope this helps. Andy

1 hour ago, geep said:

Yes it was, I have pictures of her first two daughters dressed similarly.  You and your fellow antique car buffs have been so helpful but I have a question regarding the ID:  could that car have been a Cadillac?  I have a letter my Mom wrote to her Mom telling her about this young man she met and in it she mentions that the family has a Ford and a Cadillac.  I now have another auto I hope your group can help me identify and will attach it herewith.

PICT0008.png

I hope you located the photo of the Cadillac we would like to see it. Thanks for posting the photos.

Whether the top in the original picture is correct/original or not, it's exceedingly well done.  There were true craftsmen building these cars, even if they were on an assembly line, or as the case might be, after market.  I'm going to "steal" the photo and use it in my upcoming seminar, unless original poster objects.....

Trimacar;  I have no objection whatsoever to your use of this photo.  I'm just so grateful to you and others for the identification of the Buick but, I do not have a pic of the Cadillac and maybe there wasn't a Caddy at all.  My Mom may have just been stretching the truth to impress someone back home or falsely identified the Buick as a Cadillac.  Howsoever, if I come across another photo and it doesn't look like either a Buick or a Model T, I'll certainly post it.

"Gypsy Side" that's great.  Dad would always make a disapproving comment when a car had those.  It would appear that others didn't like them either.  He definitely saw them as unoriginal on many cars and overdone on customs like having diamond pleated everything.  Faddy, with no function.

lump,

Your Hupmobile has the same top style as my 1923 Studebaker that was advertised as having a one man "gypsy type" top in the advertising brochures. I wonder why the term "gypsy" was used. The definition of gypsy is used to describe a nomadic group of people.

Scott

Yep. The car in post #1 is a 1915 C-25. One dead giveaway is the 8 sided Octagon shaped hubcaps. The C-36 and C-37 models had 6 sided hexagon shaped hubcaps and are larger in diameter. Also the hand crank hole is below the radiator rather than part of it like the larger Buick C-36 and C-37. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The 'Gypsy' style tops did not come along on Buicks until the 1918 models.  Since everyone is in agreement that the Buick in the photo is a 1915 and the license plate is for 1920, this would tell me that the car was 're-topped' at least once by the time the photo was taken.  Notice the after-market accessory headlight lenses.  1915 Buicks left Flint with plain clear glass headlight lenses.  And notice the exposed door hinges - beginning in 1916 Fisher Bodies went to the concealed style of hinge.  Dave, you have a very sharp eye about the hubcaps - good call on that feature.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Dave:

I bow to your skill! Gary got it also. I went directly to my file of 1915 cars and thought it a C-37 as wishful thinking. The C-25 is second from the top in the photo. I must pay attention and should have known since I have about 20 photos of the 1915 C-36 that I bid on at the R/M auction. The purchaser (once removed) did get on the forum once to introduce himself and was not heard from again.

15Bro24.thumb.jpg.4b852273737a52ee4af28eb39b4f70c7.jpgDSCF4062.thumb.JPG.dbe96071a9195696166cc7bf158992bc.JPG

The catalog photos are not of an angle to show the crank thru the radiator. So I did an oops.  

On 2/1/2017 at 8:00 AM, geep said:

PICT0008.png

Cadillac? no.

Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?

On February 2, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

The 'Gypsy' style tops did not come along on Buicks until the 1918 models.  Since everyone is in agreement that the Buick in the photo is a 1915 and the license plate is for 1920, this would tell me that the car was 're-topped' at least once by the time the photo was taken.  Notice the after-market accessory headlight lenses.  1915 Buicks left Flint with plain clear glass headlight lenses.  And notice the exposed door hinges - beginning in 1916 Fisher Bodies went to the concealed style of hinge.  Dave, you have a very sharp eye about the hubcaps - good call on that feature.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Yes Terry. The light lenses are aftermarket. I have those on my 1915 Buick and spares put away just in case one breaks. The way the head lights are mounted with the forks is also a 1914-1915 thing. The 1916's mounted different. Actually the Door hinges did disappear in 1915. One of the features my C-36 has. Those flat fenders give it away as a 1915 also. If memory serves me correctly I think that the 1916's had a bit of a dish shape to the fenders. I suppose after 5 or so years of use it may have been time for a new top if the car was always in the elements. Just the way the replacement top came, or the top man made it I suppose. Just another used car back when the photo was taken. Dandy Dave!  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Interesting the windshield has a slight laid back rake so I would suppose to is from a later model of Buick but before 1920 (from the plate).  The 1915 should be straight up and down.  So a replacement top and windshield, perhaps at the same time, though still a two man top.  This model c25 was discontinued at the close of 1915.  Gary

Doing a little more research the smaller 1915 C-24,s and C-25's did still have exposed door hinges like Terry said and they are clearly seen in the photo in post #1. The larger C-36, C-37, C-54, and C-55 do have hidden hinges. Dandy Dave!

52 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

I'm thinking the center car may be a mid to late 1920's Chrysler.

Not a Chrysler by the look of that taillight shape and hood latches. Other parts are not Chrysler like the hubcaps. Looks to be a 1926-1927 something by the bullet styled cowl lamps. Looks like a Fisher bodied car, too.

• Like 1

Center one is most likely a 1927 Pontiac Landau Sedan.  Jaxon 12 spoke wheels, hub caps, hood latch, parking lamp, landau iron, sun visor, door handles and embossed running board apron all match.

Thank all of you for your input but there is not a consensus on the middle pic.  I remember at one time we owned a Willys-Knight, could this be it?

What do you want for a consensus?  No the middle car could not be a Willys-Knight for all the reasons listed above.  Here is one to compare with.  This car has 12 spoke Jaxon wheels, different hub caps, different hood latch, different parking lamp mounted in a different place, no landau iron, different sun visor, different door handles, the running board apron has a different pattern embossed on it, the hood louvers are different and the window shape is totally different.  Do a Google search and look at all the Willys-Knight images to check for yourself.

1927-willys-knight-3.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)