Computer problems with my ASUS, laptop any help?

auburnseeker

Ok I know it's not car related but a few of the members on here seem very up on Computers.  I know just about nothing when dealing with them,  other than how to find cars for sale,  Navigate this forum and sell crap on ebay. 

As some might recall my last computer finally died of old age?  this last spring.  I bought one that proved to be a problem in a box,  then bought the Asus,  that I have used relatively flawlessly until now. 

This morning my wife turned it on and it "automatically installed an update that required it to restart,  which it went into that mode to do.  It has since been restarting for the last 12 + hours.  I tried a hard start but it immediately went to the screen saying it's restarting.  I can't seem to be able to get anywhere else with it.  It appears to have an internal battery that I can't pull. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

It is running windows 10 which it has had on it since I bought it in the spring.

Some of the Windows 10 updates, particularly the Anniversary update have given some machines fits. I am not familiar with ASUS but on some machines holding down alt-F10 (may need to also hold down Fn) while doing a power-on may make your machines boot into Troubleshooting or Recovery mode.

If I knew your model number might be able to help more.

Odds are you haven't backed up your files or made a recovery disk and if you haven't you might need to loose everything on the machine to get it going again. But if you are lucky this could also be from a stuck, so tap every key on the keyboard at least twice to make sure they move and feel like they should.

I just gave them all a tap.  No luck.

I didn't make a recovery disc.  I don't really have much of anything on my computer other than some photos to lose.  They aren't crucial but  I wish I didn't have to lose them.  Most I have posted online somewhere and could probably just copy the images.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

It appears to have an internal battery that I can't pull. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Not an expert on Windows 10 but if you are trying to do a hard reboot and can't disconnect an intenal battery... why not just leave it running unplugged long enough to run the battery down to zero? Maybe overnight or so might totally drain the battery for you.

One other possible thing to try (thanks to a quick Google search) "  If your Windows 10 session gets stuck during a system restart, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE.   Afterwards, the restart screen will disappear and be replaced by the Task Manager.  It will reveal the "hanging" programs that have failed to close; ie. a word document with a save prompt still open. "

• Like 1

If your computer is locked up by an "automatically installed update", how are you able to able to post on this forum?  Are you working from a backup computer, or are you somehow able to work a few basic routines with your locked up computer?

Good luck with your computer,

Grog

Yes CONTROL+ALT+DELETE. On older computers at least gives you access to the "BIOS" which is a control chip on the motherboard, so it gives you control over what the computer is going to be doing BEFORE the Windows operating system even gets booted up and functioning. So a useful dialog window should come up giving you options or telling you what is going on. Hold the on/off button till it shuts off. Then as soon as you turn it back on hold the CNTL and ALT keys, then with both those depressed hit the DEL key.

Fail safe ----- sort of. File protection yes.

Use the back / "wife" laptop to make a system recovery disk and use that as a boot CD and use that to get out of the loop and then restart in safe mode without the CD.

In safe mode use the magnifying glass icon to go to settings, then click on more, the select then apps, then settings again, to tools and then update security, then recovery reset this PC, then restore to date prior to update.

If you can get that far you're golden.

Lots of people seem to have that type of problem based on Web search. It's over my head. Seems to have something to do with trying to get to the BIOS by booting only to "Safe Mode" (never heard of that before) then looking for what "device driver" may be causing the problem. BTW make sure you have all externals unplugged when trying to start (boot up) you computer. That means disconnect any printers or anything like that you may have.

ASUS troubleshooting Reference-

Windows 10 - After I upgrade to Windows 10, my system boots to black screen, flashing screen, or reboots continuously

The issue is most likely caused by the driver(s). Start to troubleshoot the issue by going into Safe Mode with Networking to update the driver(s).

To access Safe Mode with Networking, you need to access Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). WinRE starts automatically after detecting two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion or two consecutive failed attempts to start Windows. To do this, press the power button to power on your PC. Wait a few seconds after your PC is turned on, then press and hold the power button to shut down the PC. Repeat this power on and off action two times to trigger WinRE. Once in WinRE, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Enable Safe Mode with Networking. For detailed steps under WinRE, please click here.

Once you are in Safe Mode with Networking, go to Windows Update to update the driver(s). Windows Update is the preferred first place to go for drivers.

Simply launch it from Start > Settings >  Update and Recovery > Windows Update and click Check for Updates. For more information, please click here. 

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013356/

General Windows 10 Reference -

Computer will not boot to Windows 10

This article describes general troubleshooting of computers that are powering up correctly and passing the Dell BIOS screen at boot-up, but do not successfully boot to Microsoft Windows 10.

Table of Contents:

Video guide: My computer won't boot to Windows 10
Verify the Computer Finishes Initial Power-Up (POST)
Unplug All External Devices
Check for Specific Error Messages
Reset the BIOS to Default Values
Run a Computer Diagnostic
Reset your Windows 10 Operating System
Virus and Malware Troubleshooting
Restore the Operating System to Factory Settings

Step 4: Reset the BIOS to default values

If your computer is set to first attempt to boot to another device, this may cause issues with successfully booting to Windows. To reset your computer's BIOS to factory defaults, perform the following steps:

Restart the computer
At the Dell logo during restart, tap the F2 key repeatedly until you see Entering Setup in the top right corner of the screen.
Depending on the BIOS, you may need to press a key listed at the bottom of the screen to load default settings.
Press ESC to exit the BIOS, and be sure to select Save and Exit to save your changes.

Step 5: Reset your Windows 10 operating system

If your system files have been damaged, a reset of Windows 10 reinstalls these files without damaging your data. After the third attempt to boot has failed, Windows 10 will automatically boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Follow these steps to reset Windows 10:
At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
At the Troubleshoot screen, select Reset this PC.
At the Reset this PC screen, select Keep my files.
Select your user account and enter the password if prompted.
Select Reset.
Windows will perform the reset process

Step 8: Restore the operating system to factory settings

If the previous troubleshooting could not resolve your issue, it may be necessary to restore your computer to factory settings. To restore your computer's operating system and software to the original factory settings, refer to Dell Knowledge Base article, "Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on a Dell computer"

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297926

I bought two Asus laptops. One for me and one for Wifey. Mine didn't work, right out of the box. Took it back to The Geek Squad the same day. They determined it was defective and gave me a new one. Now it's back because the sound breaks up. The Geeks can't fix it, so it has to be sent out for repairs. Wifey took hers out of the box, played with it for a day, or so, decided she hated it and went back to her old one. So, here we are, two brand new computers and I use my 6 year old Acer, which still works pretty well and she is back to her 4 year old, also an Acer.

I unplugged it and hoped to kill the battery overnight.  Surprisingly it still has 1/2 charge this morning but everything was fine.  So I guess it just needed to restart for 13+ hours.  Now if I was trying to do something outside with it on the battery it would have been dead in 2 hours.   I did shut it off a bunch of times so maybe it rebooted the restart cycle and that helped.  Who knows.  Atleast it's working now. Thankfully.  I conduct business from this computer and my wife's just doesn't cut it. 

This is a very good lesson about the fragility and temporary nature of computers and everything stored on them. You say this is your business computer, therefore it is imperative you keep frequent (daily or weekly?) backups. Start now. Your computer has had a potentially serious problem and something may be corrupted, so in the medium term it may need heavy handed maintenance, such as re-install of Windows. I went through a lot of pain with my desktop computer after the failure of the first attempt to update to Windows 10.

OK, the place to start for your ASUS is with the owner's manual.

If working now, immediately create a recovery flash drive You need a FAT32 formatted flash drive, 16GB or larger. With the flash drive mounted Go to Control Panel> File History" At the bottom click "Recovery" (bottom left) then "Create a recovery Drive".

Next create a system image. For this I use a 1TB external drive formatted NTFS. With it mounted go to Control Panel>File History again and again on the left bottom select System Image Backup. You just need one flash recovery drive for Windows 10 but you need a new System Image file after each major update. Rename appropriately.

Now with the recovery flash and the system image file at any time you can restore the computer to exactly where it was.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok A little follow up.  I haven't been on in a few days because the new windows update destroyed the hard drive in my less than 2 year old Asus Q503.  I just had it professionally diagnosed.  I have been using my wife's computer again and it's barely getting my basic  business needs done.  I'm praying I don't kill it before I can get a new machine.  I'm very disappointed in the Asus and it appears the tech guy I took it to is not interested in repairing it.  He will build me a new computer if I want.  A specific needs for only what I do with it machine for about 1,000 maybe a little less.  He can't get one together for atleast another week for me.  My daily business work on line is killing me using my Wife's so I really can't wait that long. 

At this point I'm very frustrated with Microsoft and have been starting to lean toward a Mac.  Unfortunately I'm still too cheap to lay out 2500 or more for a new machine. 

My garage project has [pretty much emptied my bank account.

I have decided I would maybe go the 1500 for a refurbished one and hope to make enough money next month to pay for it.   Those are all online though so I don't know how fast I could even get one of those in.  If I have to go with an off the shelf machine are there any other options worth considering out there? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

You may want to check out Tigerdirect.com

i have used them for a number of years to purchase laptops for my company. I own a computer service bureau for circulation fulfillment of publications. We keep the data bases of the subscribers to about 110 magazines. They have always had good buys and a variety of machines that fit our needs. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is to have computer problems. By the way we have never had good experiences with ASUS machine - they just don’t hold up to office type daily use. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I would not condemn the computer for a download issue.  I have an Asus laptop computer that I have had for several years.  It has travelled all over the world with me and it has a good computer and I have had laptop computers since probably 1985.  Lost count the number of computers that I have had because most of them were work computers and got replaced about every 2 or 3 years plus my personal computers.

If I was getting a new computer, I would just go down to someplace like any one of the big box stores like Best Buy, Staples, or any of the warehouse clubs.  Buy the best computer you can afford and reinstall the software that you had on the old crashed computer.

Agree with SC38DLS from what I have heard about TigerDirect.

Just hope that you had your records backed up.  Good luck.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Fortunately I had very little (actually only about 50-100 photos)  that  I wouldn't mind getting back but nothing else important.  I use my machine more like a cash register and really don't store anything on it.  

The Guy that looked at it for me,  actually said the older Asus machines were really good.  He used to refurbish and sell them.  The new ones he said are junk.  

A lot of the photos I posted here on my threads so I can actually retrieve them.  It will just  take a little work.  

I actually did what you said about going down to the box store and ended up with the Asus.  It was by far not the cheapest machine,  (ran around 800.00)  but then again,  not the top of the heap either.   I just was Leary of a Mac as I know they had compatibility issues with some stuff and a higher buy in.  Now they are looking like a better choice,  though the cheapest new 15 inch Mac is 1999.  That really stings with the way over run on my garage and subsequent extremely anemic bank account. 

Other than refurbished The prices seem to be very close and I think they all price match now.  I was wondering if going with a 13 inch machine and a larger external monitor for my desk might not be a better option.  That would put a Mac on my desk new for 899.  I can't imagine an external monitor would cost much more than 200.  Any more I could hang a flat screen on the wall above my desk and plug into that. 

In the last two years I have only bought Apple products. I just bought a new top of the line unit for 1800 with a big screen at the Apple Store. No BS software issues, no viruses, no crypto lock, just have to get familiar how things work different than Microsoft, MUCH easier. I am done with all the bull sh*t now. Couldn’t be happier. Consider a tablet, for most people it does almost everything you would need. I use my tablet first, phone second, and only use my iMac while sitting at my desk.  And to be perfectly honest the new iMac is absolutely fabulous.

• Like 1

They have a pretty nice Imac for around 1100 with a 21 inch screen.  The more I think about it,  other than pulling literature at the other end of my office,  I usually do everything at my desk.  That might be the way to go and as you mentioned invest in a tablet when I'm a bit more flush.  

Says they have them at Best Buy in stock.  I might have to make a trip there tomorrow.  

I know I am sick of all the Microsoft mess and antivirus crap you have to deal with.   Not to mention getting less than 2 years out of a lap top that cost almost a grand. 

Unfortunately the nearest apple store is over 50 miles away as the crow flies. 

I love my iMac and my MacBook Air from work.  I also love Carbonite. $ 59 / year to have my Mac backed up.  

Yes, I have an external drive but so did a friend. When Harvey visited Houston and flooded their house with 

6 feet of water, it cost her 1500 to get her information back.

the other great thing with Apple is all devices are hooked up and talk to each other, and all info can be pulled up from any unit. I love the tracking built into my phone and Ipad, if I leave one somewhere I can find it with no searching or calling around. I resisted Apple for years, it was a mistake. 

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Other than refurbished The prices seem to be very close and I think they all price match now.  I was wondering if going with a 13 inch machine and a larger external monitor for my desk might not be a better option.  That would put a Mac on my desk new for 899.  I can't imagine an external monitor would cost much more than 200.  Any more I could hang a flat screen on the wall above my desk and plug into that. 

As for a monitor, just buy a flat panel TV and use it for a monitor.  About $100.00+-.  That is what I did.

I can’t understand why anybody would recommend against an Apple product.  You can’t hack it under any circumstance.  No viruses no crypto lock no other issues but fishing.  Their plug-and-play his much better than Microsoft.  Updates  don’t shove a bunch of trash on your system or cause it to crash like Windows updates do every time.  I have seven computers running Microsoft my businesses I will never replace him again without using Apple product.  I just can’t explain how much better things are with the apple.   I’m a new convert.