How do I buy car from deceased person?

Guest VONZ72

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

But did you realize that the price of a postage stamp

went DOWN to 47 cents?

John, I'm still using "Forever Stamps" that i paid 49 Cents for.

Restorer32,  I said nothing about trying to buy his car, just a friendly letter of introduction.  Re-read my earlier post.  We can be civil, even if there is no response,  I know a guy who was one of many who asked a lady about her 1976 Eldorado Convertible and she sold it to him. Upon return to take her for a ride in the finished car, she told him "she sold him the car because he had a crease in his jeans".

He went home and thanked his wife for ironing his jeans.  

• Like 1

I am finding this discourse on proper etiquette interesting , civil and informative. I , like the elderly subject gent , have age related diminished capabilities , and I also have too many Cadillacs. Apparently , rumors as to the premature demise of each of us have been somewhat exaggerated. I submit that we are both DECREASED people. If you all are so lucky , you will be there , if not now , eventually. Something to think about as the hour is drawing ever closer. Who gets our cars and parts ? Probably better just a little too soon , than a little too late.  -  Carl

If you live in a house that is over grown and the windows are boarded up. It sounds like he has written off the outside world. Nothing wrong with asking about the car, a nice letter would be the way to go. But in all honesty, it sounds like some one that needs a friend. All of these old cars mean something to us. That one might be all he has left for the good memories. 

18 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Being friendly is one thing, being friendly because you want something is another. 

Well said.  Genuine sincerity, not fake sincerity, is important in any undertaking.

I think a courteous letter is a good compromise:

"Dear Mr. Snufflehaven:  I have always appreciated 

Excaliber XK100's.  My uncle had one when I was 

growing up, and he always let me ride along with him

to buy food for his goats.  If you would ever consider selling

yours, please talk to me first.  Or I'd be happy to meet

you some time just to talk about cars.  Sincerely, 

Nelvin Needlemyer, phone 222-333-4445."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I think the letter is a good way to ask if the Caddy is available. The owner appears to be in a increasingly distressed situation. He's the way he is because he doesn't trust anyone and wants to protect what he has....privacy, for one!

I don't see a letter violating privacy and it gives the Caddy owner control over his situation.  

I have seen the letter of intent work many times during my association buying old cars. Once with a close friend whom had a very rare early car made in Buffalo. He passed away and when the family went thru his papers settling up his estate they found a 8 year old letter from a collector admiring his Buffalo built car. His closing sentence was "If it ever becomes available for sale I would be interested". The family contacted him and he got the car. It was a win- win situation for both parties.  -Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will send a letter to the owner who may very well like to sit down and talk to someone about his baby. I would be very interested in hearing his story and learn the history of the car. One of the things I like the most about the hobby is talking to people about their cars and reminiscing about the "Good Old Days". If I end up with the car great, if I don't it will still have been a learning experience and may bring back some good memories for the owner. I am somewhat of a crotchity old guy myself and it does me good to get out and talk to people about my cars or my grandchildren! 

Thanks again for all of the ideas and advice.

16 hours ago, VONZ72 said:

I am somewhat of a crotchity old guy myself and it does me good to get out and talk to people about my cars or my grandchildren! 

I resemble that remark.

Good luck with your quest, we are all curious how it turns out.

16 hours ago, VONZ72 said:

I would be very interested in hearing his story and learn the history of the car. One of the things I like the most about the hobby is talking to people about their cars and reminiscing about the "Good Old Days". If I end up with the car great, if I don't it will still have been a learning experience...

You said it well.  That's a perfect way to phrase your letter.

Don't even ask about buying it, though, in this first friendly encounter.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

PLEASE don't call it his "baby." That sounds condescending to me and for some reason, always sounds silly. He may not have any sentimental feelings about it, and every time someone refers to one of my cars as "my baby," I'll admit I get a little annoyed. Why, I can't say, but I rank it right up there with the morons who say, "Gee willikers, you should call Jay Leno to buy this car!"

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, VONZ72 said:

1965 Eldorado convertible

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Some good info that will hopefully lead me to the owner.

Thinking of selling my extra '65 Eldorado (needs resto).  If interested, pm.  Not many '65s made, only 2K or so in '65 so there aren't actually a lot around for 65-66.