Garage & Car Barn Thread

alsancle

I live in a neighborhood full of golfers inside a good sized city that just doesn't support my way of thinking.  The new cars stay outside, the old cars stay inside.  I just added a third vehicle and will have to use a lift to fit it inside the garage, but I'm losing work space.  The more space I get the more I'm inclined to fill it as well.  When I think about my age, I probably only have 20 years left till I'm 80 and have less mobility to do things as I have for the past 40. I think I will make do and put the money into the cars.  This is my garage, everything is stacked to the max.

IMG_1768.JPG

Are you going to put a lift in to that garage?  Ceiling does not look quite high enough?

A friend said something to me a few years ago that really stuck in my head.  He was early 60s and he said "I'm running out of time to do all the things I had planned on doing".

Relatively low ceiling is why I have a scissors lift. Also most common activity is changing tires and makes that easy. 40" lift is enough to do nearly anything & can move anywhere in the back garage. Really have more than I need since was sized (7,000 lbs max) for my RV which was 6300 lbs. Now heaviest car is Jeep at 4475 lbs . OTOH the Crossfire (94.5" WB) just fits.

On 11/3/2016 at 7:57 AM, alsancle said:

Are you going to put a lift in to that garage?  Ceiling does not look quite high enough?

A friend said something to me a few years ago that really stuck in my head.  He was early 60s and he said "I'm running out of time to do all the things I had planned on doing".

No, no lift in this garage.  I am limited to two doors with land space so when the garage is replaced I will make sure the ceilings are plenty tall.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:43 AM, alsancle said:

I assume that the dimensions of the carriage house are 36 x 40.  The 3 doors is nice.  My town has some crazy 5 garage door limit on the property rule.  Depending on what you are trying to do you can run out of doors pretty quick.

I will take a picture.. It should be done by the end of the year...He is putting on  copper gutter..I did not ask what he spent.. I am  thinking  120-200K .. from my bids on my garage. 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Well it's in.  My project has been tabled until the next meeting.  I hired my Architect to attend the meeting as my representative. Probably a smart move from the decision I received today. 

Reasons- 

1-no North arrow on my drawing of the layout of the existing buildings on the property though it is identical to the survey .  The building locations are also clearly labeled with distances to all pertinent boundaries and existing buildings.
2-No scale on my drawing (see rest of # 1 for explanation of why I didn't think it would be necessary)
3-Didn't show location of current septic on map.  Though there is no hookup to be made to it from the new building. It's also over 200 feet to the house from the new shop.  Our septic is in Warrensburg anyways which is the other side of the house.
4- Didn't show a 6 inch gravel trench on each side of the building on the plan for the roof run off to go in.
There is a fifth item that  I can't remember at the moment but it is another one of those real important issues like mentioned above. 
The architect said what I provided would have been completely acceptable in Warrensburg.  
I guess when the site plan guy reviewed the submitted paperwork he didn't notice of of these items that should be considered standard "requirements"

There was one particular board member of the 10 that gave him a hard time and had the most issues.  

This means no building this fall,  but I will have the site ready.  I hired a contractor to get that done and he is starting tomorrow.  I will have my permit in order for construction to start as early as possible in the spring though. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Well it's in.  My project has been tabled until the next meeting.  I hired my Architect to attend the meeting as my representative. Probably a smart move from the decision I received today. 

Reasons- 

1-no North arrow on my drawing of the layout of the existing buildings on the property though it is identical to the survey .  The building locations are also clearly labeled with distances to all pertinent boundaries and existing buildings.
2-No scale on my drawing (see rest of # 1 for explanation of why I didn't think it would be necessary)
3-Didn't show location of current septic on map.  Though there is no hookup to be made to it from the new building. It's also over 200 feet to the house from the new shop.  Our septic is in Warrensburg anyways which is the other side of the house.
4- Didn't show a 6 inch gravel trench on each side of the building on the plan for the roof run off to go in.
There is a fifth item that  I can't remember at the moment but it is another one of those real important issues like mentioned above. 
The architect said what I provided would have been completely acceptable in Warrensburg.  
I guess when the site plan guy reviewed the submitted paperwork he didn't notice of of these items that should be considered standard "requirements"

There was one particular board member of the 10 that gave him a hard time and had the most issues.  

This means no building this fall,  but I will have the site ready.  I hired a contractor to get that done and he is starting tomorrow.  I will have my permit in order for construction to start as early as possible in the spring though. 

"I'm from the government and I am here to help you"

• Like 1

I have two large workbenches in the garage that have become covered with stuff - come to think of it, the one in the basement shop is also.  

Still, I will take that over the alternative - it is the kiss of death for any project/stored car to become a shelf.  Once that happens, best to just admit to yourself the next time that thing moves it will be to winch onto the buyer's trailer...

• Like 1

Admittedly the T Speedster is stuffed in the rear of the new single garage we added in August, it is serving as a shelf but only for it's own parts as that is in the "sitting till I can do it and in the meantime buy everything it will need" phase.  Since it was bought specifically to have fun doing a simple at home build, and I do not have time now, I consider it "on target" for now.  :D 

I think, if you can do it, having a design that keeps one from needing to move a bunch of cars to get one out is ideal, it just makes it more likely you will act on that urge to go for a short run at the last minute.  I have a buddy with 6, maybe 7 cars (3 are disassembled) jammed into a 4 car, I have no idea how he keeps parts, tools, etc. straight.

Seeker, have you had a sit down with someone like your town manager or a member of the town council?  Seems impossible for someone from local govt. to sit across the table from you and not understand the frustration,  That might be an avenue to look at if you have not already thought about it. 

Heat ? Am more interested in ventilation/cooling.

My problem was getting approvals from both the county and the HOA but can only see two doors from the street & one of those is set back. From the street it all blends in.

If heat is really an issue, coils in the floor or a salamander will work well. Had a gas heater in my garage when lived in Indiana and it worked well.

Mine works well but if doing again I'd just have the cathedral ceilings in the front part and a loft in the rear. "Stuff" expands to fill all space.

ps here a garage door must withstand a 130 mph wind load (less than the coast). Not cheap. I have two doubles and two singles & one of the singles is more like a French door.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

The ceilings in my back garage are only 9' at the sides and the front bay is on the side so a post lift just did not work however a portable mid-rise scissors lift works well for me since open in the middle and between the wheels where I usually need to work is easily accessible. Also am used to working on my back (much less painful than bent over & have a stool for brake jobs (R&Ring wheels/tires is my most common job). When doing such I only raise a few inches off the ground but can go up 40".

If I were doing again it would probably be one of these. (interesting, last I looked it was a 6,000 lb max and under $2k). Do prefer the rollers in a steel tray and dual pistons for an open center

crossfireolift.jpg

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Seeker, have you had a sit down with someone like your town manager or a member of the town council?  Seems impossible for someone from local govt. to sit across the table from you and not understand the frustration,  That might be an avenue to look at if you have not already thought about it. 

Unfortunately I'm just a lowly tax paying serf and don't warrant a private meeting with the aristocracy. 

I actually sent my architect to the meeting as my representative.  He said one of the board members works for the local concrete company that was going to get all the concrete work and was giving him a hard time about me going before the board so late for a project that needed to have concrete work done when my architect stressed that we are very time crunched on this project.  Seems the planning guy should have given them a little briefing before hand.  Stressing how I went into his office in August and asked him to point out everything I needed  and if it was OK to put a building on the property of that size in that location.   That was the day he said he had no concerns and would approve it all when I came back with the plans.  Those plans were exactly the same as the sketch and measurements I went in with the first time.  The entire delay of the project lays in his lap. 

Maybe I'll be using a different company for my 60 by 72 floor and footings/ frost walls. 

I still laugh at the whole thing as they seem very concerned with my project hidden in the woods,  yet approved a Hotel in the middle of their quaint village 5 miles away that is over the Height restriction and also has 100 parking spaces for a 100 room hotel with a restaurant and Banquet center.  The town has a huge parking problem to begin with.  

I guess no one gave any thought to where the Staff or patrons of the restaurant / banquet center were going to park if the hotel had 100 Percent occupancy.   Very common in the extremely touristy town that holds several week long events.  

On 11/5/2016 at 11:22 PM, nick8086 said:

I will take a picture.. It should be done by the end of the year...He is putting on  copper gutter..I did not ask what he spent.. I am  thinking  120-200K .. from my bids on my garage. 

I asked him today. It was just under 400K.. It looks like a apt complex.. With out water and heat.. 

Wow, that is more than my whole house and the cars is worth.  And my garage has heat and AC.

Traffic here keeps getting worse though, went to Cars and Coffee in Celebration and left before 8am on a Saturday. I-4 was heavy already. In both directions. 58 degrees when I left and nearing 70 when came home.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to hire in some professional help to get the site properly graded and haul out the logs/ stumps.  Here are some progress shots.  Hopefully they are done pretty soon.   The bill is starting to get up their. 

I also have been working on my existing garage and making good strides on the insulation.  I have all the Roxul up and now I'm putting up 1 inch of foil faced foam.  I can't wait to be done.  The Roxul was very challenging to work with especially due the amount of cutting required because of the unconventional framing. 

IMG_8512.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG

IMG_8514.JPG

30 years ago after I finished my shop and before anything was moved in, our region had a country hoedown with friends even bringing in a caller. It was quite the celebration party that to this day gets brought up from time to time.

Now if you do not plan to do any building this winter looks flat enough for a hockey rink for the kids. 

Well I won't get anything built this winter,  but I will be ready to go full bore this spring.  I'll have the Funds, the site, and the permits in order. 

Right now I have to concentrate on getting my shop emptied (probably 90-95 percent done) so I can complete the sale, and my new shop ready for working in this winter.  

I guess I can't complain about the snow as just a few hours away they got over 2 feet and it's still snowing.  

Some shots of the cars crammed in the new existing garage with finishing of the garage still going on.  I did 6 inches of Roxul in the walls and 9 inches in the ceiling.  Now I'm going over it with 1 inch High R foil faced foam.

I covered the cars after the shots so they don't get too filthy.  I definitely need to move the shelves out of the way as it's a bit tight getting the tractor in and having to run the forks under the hot rod to do it.  

IMG_8515.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Some shots of the cars crammed in the new existing garage with finishing of the garage still going on.  I did 6 inches of Roxul in the walls and 9 inches in the ceiling.  Now I'm going over it with 1 inch High R foil faced foam.

I covered the cars after the shots so they don't get too filthy.  I definitely need to move the shelves out of the way as it's a bit tight getting the tractor in and having to run the forks under the hot rod to do it.  

Man, that garage has some assets!!

I tried to think of everything ahead of time and right after I put up one of the sheets of foam yesterday,  realized I should really put an outlet outside the back door. (It will be nice to have when we start the new building as that's closest)   Down it came and I ran some wiring to accommodate the new outlet.  Even with running airlines all over with an outside one,  I still feel like I'm forgetting something.   

• 6 months later...

Well we finally got approval to build from the planning board, after a few more hoop jumps.  I stopped down and picked up everything I needed (according to the planning guy) including the plans (booklets) all stamped and sealed by him,  then dropped them off at the county building office to get my permit.   The guy looked them all over and said,  we'll give them a good look then issue the permit if there are no problems.  

I got a call yesterday afternoon from the building guy telling me the booklets aren't of any use,  he needs the stamped plans.  

Now you would think that the planning guy who has to approve and stamp everything that goes to the county and has worked there for a few years would atleast know he needs to stamp the full size plans and give them to me to submit to the county.  I provided them with atleast 3 but I think it was actually 4 large stamped/ sealed copies as well as another 8 full size sets of plans I had made at a print place because only a couple of sets had to be original with the stamp.

Now the planning guy tells me he doesn't have them.  They gave them to the 10 board members who took them home.  

You would have thought that up front he would have said,  we need x number of sealed / stamped copies and those will be kept here,  All others will be sent home with the planning board members and they will not be returned. 

As it was left I'm still not sure If I have to buy more copies from the architect and then send them down to the engineer and pay him to stamp them as well?  

I'm beginning to really wonder if there is a requirement that you need to be incompetent to work in the public service sector.  How many times is someone allowed to screw up without repercussions? 

So we are really close but not yet there.  Good news is I did close on both the house and shop I sold.  

We decided to take all the money from my other house that was left and apply it to pay down our mortgage using the shop proceeds to build the new shop.  

We have been working with the lawyer to reamortize our privately held mortgage.  It's very cut and dry.  Our old lawyer that handled our previous reamortize in 2 weeks retired.  He was an awesome real estate lawyer and extremely thorough as well as proactive. 

This new lawyer has been working on it for over 4 months and I'm still not sure it's done.  Incompetence again.  It's unbelieveable.  Meanwhile it's probably costing us $200 or more extra every month in interest  and he has had my $50,000 check for over a month. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

My architect just got this email back from the Planning guy that originally peeled off 4 complete sets of full size stamped  plans, The large ones not 11 by 17.  This was his response when questioned what happened to those 4 sets.   Of which 2 were suppose to be kept by the town to stamp and then send down to the county building office to be used to get the permit with.    (this is standard protocol for every single building project.  This is not the architect's first project to go before this planning board. )  

"As I am sure you are aware, since you've been doing this for a while, when a project goes to the Planning Board numerous copies of plans are required. Subsequently, when the applicant is ready for his permit, additional plans are required, and I don't know of any communities that request their Board members to give their plans back to the office for stamping for the permit, most of our board members actually file their packets at their homes. 

In the history of my office as far back as I have asked, we've never operated that way, and frankly, I'm not willing to make exceptions because of someone not being happy (fortunately, 95% of people who leave my office are happy). I tend to not do special requests, everyone is treated the same in my office, part of doing the job correctly. Turns out, the plans Randy came in with we're not enough for the County, although they were enough for my office to file. If Randy want's to submit 11x17 plans, I am ok with that, but I imagine due to the size of the building, they'll require engineered stamps on them because of state law.  

Here's two options for moving forward. 1) The applicant can bring in large stamped plan sets for me to stamp and then quickly go to the County, or (2) I can solicit the Board members for their plans (who may or may not want to give them up, or who may or may not have them anymore) and when I get three sets that are stamped (can't promise a date), I can use those. Let me know which you want to do. "

This is why Govt' Employees like this get such a bad rep.