Garage & Car Barn Thread

alsancle

Wow, there is some awesome garage space here. I dream of a garage that I can work easily around my car, and also fit a 4 post lift. We keep looking at real estate options, but have yet to find anything that fits out wants.

So for now, I am content with an enclosed garage and some wheel castors. I am limited what I can do in the winter. In the nicer months I will work outside if needed. I get by pretty good. 

LkQVQZZDEVczXqB526z4FY4QZALxPtM87T2DvecV

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, 29pickhupp said:

A couple photos of my garage which I built 5 years ago. It is 26 x 42 . The lower level has a 10 foot ceiling  with a clear span.  The wood trussed I joists are 26' long. Upper floor is also a clear span and is about 11' to the highest part of ceiling and used for storage. There is a stairway to the upper floor and accessed by the man door on the left. 

The exterior is pine board and batten with a section done in a cordwood veneer. The interior is still mostly unfinished 

John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love the cord wood finish very nice work!

• Like 1

We finally started putting wood together today.  Should have a wall or 2 standing by tomorrow Eve.   

I've been looking into renting a telehandler but the price and extra insurance may require a rethink.  

I actually have an indoor scissor lift with a 20 foot reach I can run outside on Plywood which I might do to get material on the roof.   

The cost of the telehandler rental would pay for all the windows.  

The lumber yard also lost my custom header.  Fortunately they located it at another warehouse.  

The lumber yard is also only about 1 and 1/2 miles from the house,  makes it handy as I was there a few times to day.  I can't wait to see some walls in the vertical position. 

Probably needless to say : pay particular attention to perimeter sealing on large sliding doors. Look carefully at current state-of-the-art solutions. I am sure each and everyone of us , your friends here , are sharing your excitement at this pivotal point in the construction of your dream Car Barn. Be advised : when you finally get that huge volume all enclosed and zipped-up , you might have difficulty pulling yourself away and out from it. I sometimes marvel and waste time just gaping and day dreaming about the possibilities in my smaller shop. It is 36' X 72' , 13' to the trusses. Not small , but size is relative. These places are worlds unto themselves.   - Carl 

• Like 1

I've got lots of ideas on how to take it from a plain garage into something a bit jazzier.  The only thing holding me back is time and Money.  Once the shell is all up though,  I can peck away on it by myself as the funds become available.  

It's kind of hard having the guys do all the work.  I'm playing GC running for errands and trying to keep ahead of them on critical decisions so I have the answer, when we reach those thresholds.  Having once had my own contracting business and doing all the work myself,  I feel kind of lost standing back and just letting them work.  They seem pretty efficient though,  so that's probably best.  

We got one wall stood today.  2x8 14 foot walls are a handful when standing them on top of a 2 foot knee wall.  Unfortunately my Excavator's reach is about 8 inches to short to use it.   We set it with my tractor and forks using some lower bracing to lift on.  

The guy I actually bought my excavator from is using his crew to build it,  so he decided to bring his bigger excavator over so we can set them easier.  

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow when we have a few of them standing. 

23 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I 'm also looking into building custom sliding doors at some point.  Has anyone built any really good ones?  Any recommendations for hardware for such?  My opening is going to be 16 by 14 foot, so 2- 8 by 14 foot doors will be necessary. 

Sliding doors are a pain to seal and deal with in the winter. Have you considered bi-fold doors?  I really like the ones on the fire hall near work (vertical fold) but they may be too narrow for you.

Door Engineering and Manufacturing retrofitted the Kansas City (MO) Fire Department's headquarters station with inward-folding four-fold doors with custom window panes. (Photo courtesy of Door Engineering and Manufacturing.)

Another option would be horizontal bi-fold doors, like you would see on an aircraft hanger.  With the closing of many of the smaller airports due to land values, you come across some good buys.  They actually are not that hard to make.  Go to an airport and check them out.

Image result for hanger bi foldImage result for hangar bifold

Just some ideas.

Scott

Bi Folds might be an  option.  Probably easier to seal.  That would make them 4 foot wide each,   which seems manageable.  The height would be the bigger problem.  Too bad I couldn't do Dutch Bifold doors.  THat would be cool and easier to handle each part.  I know the 4 foot by 8 foot doors I built for my shed seem to work very well  even after a year of settling shrinking and swelling.  Of course alot of it is in the hinges. 

OK-- Here is the problem I encountered. Wood frame construction in a rural area. Actually was surrounded with paved roadway. And we kept all brush clear. Because of this calamity a  restored 1948 Indian, a Cushman 3-wheel ice cream scooter, thee Harley Toppers and many parts of projects were destroyed.  The buildings nearby that survived were Brick and stone with metal and tile roofs. HOWEVER some of those also burned because the window coverings INSIDE were combustible. 

So- what suggestions do you have for the remains of the 48 Indian?

WP_20171014_013[1].jpg

Unfortunately on my budget stone or brick weren't an option.   We've exhausted the pros and cons of steel roofs.  I have to worry about sliding snow and eminent death to me or the kids with one as well as water damming problems.  It's going to be wood sided as well so if catastrophe strikes I will be SOL.  That said,  almost all the buildings in this area are wood including my other garage.  I was hoping to add a fire suppression pond to the property but i have to purchase a couple more acres  to do so.    In the event of a forest fire I'm not sure what I will do.  I do plan on keeping all the brush cut back and have continued to clear more underbrush on the property since we bought it.  It's good to have all angles covered but not always possible.   I aimed for the most likely as well as the ability to make it very energy efficient.  Something that will hopefully be more of a problem than a forest fire.     If the greenies would let up a bit and let the forests be managed not just proclaimed forever wild with no access or maintenance,  there would be alot less risk of fire.  

I'm baffled that "the damage" they claim logging does to the environment or the Carbon footprint of such causes is never compared to or weighed in on the fact , when you look at the carbon footprint a forest fire (which damage from could have been greatly reduced through proper forest management) causes.  Hopefully some day they figure it out. 

The Indian I would throw on ebay.  You might be surprised what you get for it.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 10/31/2017 at 12:00 PM, auburnseeker said:

I 'm also looking into building custom sliding doors at some point.  Has anyone built any really good ones?  Any recommendations for hardware for such?  My opening is going to be 16 by 14 foot, so 2- 8 by 14 foot doors will be necessary. 

I built 3 pairs of sliding doors for my shed. I am very happy with them.

Each half 10' high x 9'6" wide, frames of 50mmx 25mm RHS. Skinned on the outside with pressed metal roofing, lined on the inside with 3mm plywood, with insulation in the cavity between. Running on double rollers and tracks, and overlapping the poured floor by one inch at the base. (The apron lower than the floor). At the inner edges I just used strips of carpeting held in place with a pine slat. These seem to seal quite well, rubbing on the flat plywood. I used sealed roller bearings (adjustable) at the base, to control and guide the doors in snug at the closing point. Your weather would be more extreme, but we do get a lot of sub-zero days and some snow here.

Everything is home-made, and done with limited funds, but these doors have been excellent for 30 years. The shed is 80'x30', part is two storied, with 8x8 hardwood uprights,  largest beams 15"x3", all cut with my chainsaw mill on the place. Walls are of mud brick. (Adobe in the US).  I was a lot younger and fitter, then! 

IMG_2623.JPG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bush Mechanic said:

I built 3 pairs of sliding doors for my shed. I am very happy with them.

Each half 10' high x 9'6" wide, frames of 50mmx 25mm RHS. Skinned on the outside with pressed metal roofing, lined on the inside with 3mm plywood, with insulation in the cavity between. Running on double rollers and tracks, and overlapping the poured floor by one inch at the base. (The apron lower than the floor). At the inner edges I just used strips of carpeting held in place with a pine slat. These seem to seal quite well, rubbing on the flat plywood. I used sealed roller bearings (adjustable) at the base, to control and guide the doors in snug at the closing point. Your weather would be more extreme, but we do get a lot of sub-zero days and some snow here.

Everything is home-made, and done with limited funds, but these doors have been excellent for 30 years. The shed is 80'x30', part is two storied, with 8x8 hardwood uprights,  largest beams 15"x3", all cut with my chainsaw mill on the place. Walls are of mud brick. (Adobe in the US).  I was a lot younger and fitter, then! 

IMG_2623.JPG

And that is all we get to see?  Bummer.

Ben

Sorry, Ben, but it was raining when I took that shot. It has eased a bit, so here you go.

I have always regretted fitting the 13' roller door. It was given to me at the outset, so I installed it. But difficult to seal and insulate. But as I never use it, I have it pretty well sealed off now.

Mick

IMG_2624.JPG

• Like 2

That's an idea.  I was thinking of having the doors on the inside of the wall.  There is a guy probably less than 5 miles from here with something similar on a very nice looking barn/ garage.  I need to stop in and see what he did.   I was hoping to find someone who knew him so I could be introduced.  I'm not one for just nosing around someone else's place if possible.  

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress shots of the project.  Everything is sheathed and framing mostly complete.  Looks like we will be setting trusses this week. 

I bought a lift to help ease that project. 

I also cut the 2 doorways on this end out to accept a 36 inch door as they were set for a 32 inch door. Why would you ever put a 32 inch door in a garage this size?   The far doors were already set for 36 inch doors. 

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

Looks very nice, and very well done. It’s not big enough. No matter how much bigger you build it, it’s still not big enough! I enjoy watching this thread.

• Like 1

I'll feel better once the roof is on.  I'm sure the guys I got building it will like to see that lift Monday Morning.  

I know it isn't big enough,  but that's the max for the budget and space.   More budget, as I could have gone bigger and put a lower level if I went further toward the other end.  

It's hard to balance needs, wants and money in a way that makes you feel satisfied in the end. 

My wife still thinks I'm nuts and ruined the property with it.  

She'll come around eventually. :)

I am in the planning stage and want to install a turntable. My cars ranged up to 145" Wheelbase (though a 20-foot diameter platter would be best), and my heaviest car weighs 6,000 pounds.

Would like the turntable to be a disk, not rails, and inset into the floor. Easy to drive onto.

Your ideas? I am a fair fabricator. Welding. Plasma cutting. Concrete and heavy construction.

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

A turn table would be awesome especially if you were building a round garage.  A 60 foot round garage would have definitely broke the bank.  My rectangular simple box is doing that. 

Grin! No, I am planning a building about 65 x 125 feet. The turntable would be about 20 feet in diameter. Unless I make a building in the shape of an icosahedron!

3 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

Grin! No, I am planning a building about 65 x 125 feet. The turntable would be about 20 feet in diameter. Unless I make a building in the shape of an icosahedron!

65 feet is too narrow, we just built a building and went to 75, with the build out we ended up with 72 inside, it was just right.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Well I hope mine at 60 isn't too narrow.  I did stake it out then park stuff inside the lines.  It's a little tight for bigger stuff but seemed still manageable.  I honestly don't think I could have gotten the trusses to the location if they were a foot longer without a lumber jack and a skidder.   I did use my 2006 Superduty Ford extended cab 8 foot bed for the lay out/ test vehicle.  I used my 24 foot car trailer not including the tongue to determine the door size for putting stuff in and out behind my Truck.  

I know should have went bigger,  but I had to compromise somewhere or I would never have enough money to build it.   

I'm going to be rolling my pennies as it is. ;)

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

65 feet is too narrow, we just built a building and went to 75, with the build out we ended up with 72 inside, it was just right.

Depends on the layout. Going for a more unconventional space. I don't like the cars so close together that I can't see the whole car. We plan to set this up as museum-type exhibits. Our cars are about 20x7 feet with about 140sqft / car. with 8125sqft available. Minus bathrooms, maybe a sitting area. totaling about 1,000sqft. We can easily stage at least as 15 cars, in about 7,000 sqft and each car will have about 450 sqft space.

We plan to have tours by appointment, and I want people to view the cars, pose with them for pictures, actually (while supervised) to sit in the cars. I like this to be interactive. Even touch the cars. Much of enjoying cars is being able to touch them, feel the leather, the sweeping curves. even the smells of vintage. I can wipe down fingerprints!

Storage, lifts, and maybe a paint area doubling as a detail shop - will be housed in another building on site. 

• Like 1

I understand the cost issue.........you still have a terrific garage. When dealing with the big pre war iron on the 147-152 inch wheel base chassis, 60 feet is very tight,  and the turning radius of the cars is huge. Let’s face it, very few collectors exclusively collect the big iron today. I’m sure 60will work out fine for you. If you adjust the placement of the cars you won’t have any problems. As far as a turntable, I like the idea, and we tossed it around, but found it to take up too much space to be worth the effort. 

Bill, we just finished doing exactly what you are  planning. 75x150 for fourteen cars. It provides room to walk around the entire car, a lounge area, and a closed off detail bay. Our collection contains cars all similar in size to your new Lincoln. We just finished the building Friday and started placing cars the same day. It’s surprising how fast the volume fills up when you park big  CCCA cars in it. We’re planning a open house in 2018 so I am not able to post photos of the finished product. Think long and hard about the floor, keeping it clean, and having it look good and perform well for what you are doing isn’t easy. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bill, we just finished doing exactly what you are  planning. 75x150 for fourteen cars. It provides room to walk around the entire car, a lounge area, and a closed off detail bay. Our collection contains cars all similar in size to your new Lincoln. We just finished the building Friday and started placing cars the same day. It’s surprising how fast the volume fills up when you park big  CCCA cars in it. We’re planning a open house in 2018 so I am not able to post photos of the finished product. Think long and hard about the floor, keeping it clean, and having it look good and perform well for what you are doing isn’t easy. 

I am still in the planning stage. My plans are predicated on existing plans that were built for the Truett Cathy collection in four buildings. His cars were set too close together and a different layout. I have enough land for a larger building. I also like having multiple rollup doors as I like to drive these huge cars easily. I do understand the turning radius is quite large in compared to more smaller cars. So multiple doors would make entry and egress much easier. 

I can modify the plans as desired. Want to examine available structural members to support the roof.  

I don't need the museum type setting so much and I know the turning radius on my truck is terrible so I think it is as close as I can come to an operable comp at this time.  

I have to admit as well,  that my collection right now consists of 2 ,  32 fords, the 36 Cord, 56 olds 2 door hardtop, 40 ford Coupe a model a, and my Hudson truck.    Actually the Cord and the Hudson are the biggest cars i have.  I do plan on adding that Auburn some day but I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of room if i don't buy too much equipment.   Besides,  there is no money left now to buy any more cars. :(

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well I hope mine at 60 isn't too narrow.  I did stake it out then park stuff inside the lines.  It's a little tight for bigger stuff but seemed still manageable.  I honestly don't think I could have gotten the trusses to the location if they were a foot longer without a lumber jack and a skidder.   I did use my 2006 Superduty Ford extended cab 8 foot bed for the lay out/ test vehicle.  I used my 24 foot car trailer not including the tongue to determine the door size for putting stuff in and out behind my Truck.  

I know should have went bigger,  but I had to compromise somewhere or I would never have enough money to build it.   

I'm going to be rolling my pennies as it is. ;)

We, you and I, like BIG and tow vehicles. 24 foot open and 36foot gooseneck Take a lot of room! Using the gooseneck as a portable garage at our new property. Good for storage.

23517734_2200425403316195_3329652982123481568_n.jpg

FullSizeRender (Medium).jpg

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)
  • Like 1