Hershey show to become Nestle show?

Restorer32

Story has it, Hershey is an unfavorable target for a takeover, due to them having exclusive rights in the USA to package and market Kit Kat, a former product of Rowntree McIntonsh.  In their marketing agreement, it was indefinite, BUT, becomes nul and void if taken over by a competing company.  HEY!  Nestlé bought Rowntree Mcintosh in 1988!! :mellow:

Craig

Here's a little more information since you heard something:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-hershey-m-a-mondelez-intl-idUSKCN0ZG24O

(1)  It's not a rumor.  They made an offer.

(2)  It's not Nestle.  It's Mondelez, which is based  in Illinois.

(3)  Even if the offer were accepted, the Hershey company name would remain.

And the show is named after the town, not the candy company. 

(4)  The stock was up about 15% in mid-afternoon.  It closed up 16%.

So, rumors tend to be inaccurate!  And many offers go nowhere.

The Wrigley company made an offer in 2002 that was rebuffed.

Let's hope we're still enjoying the Hershey show field for years to come.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The fact that Mondelez had been in talks with Hershey for several months tells me that Hershey is at least willing to listen to offers. I suspect Mondelez will come back with a higher offer. They pledge to change their name to Hershey and keep the headquarters and 21,000 employees in PA.

The locals and the State of Pennsylvania seem to be pretty adamant about keeping control of the company as it now stands, interesting reading what happened to members of the Board of Trustees when they voted to sell in 2002: (from Wikipedia, like everything on the Internet, it must be true!)

"On July 25, 2002, it became public knowledge that the Hershey Trust Company was seeking to sell its controlling interest in the Hershey Foods Corporation. The value of Hershey stock skyrocketed 25% with over 19 million shares trading that day. Over the following 55 days, widespread press coverage, as well as pressure from Pennsylvania Attorney General Mike Fisher, the community of Hershey, and Dauphin County Orphans' Court Senior Judge Warren G. Morgan, led to the sale being abandoned. The seven Hershey trustees who voted to sell Hershey Foods on September 17, 2002, for US$12.5 billion to the William Wrigley Jr. Company (now part of Mars Incorporated) were removed by Attorney General Fisher and Judge Morgan.[30] Ten of the 17 trustees were forced to resign and four new members who lived locally were appointed. The former Pennsylvania Attorney General, LeRoy S. Zimmerman, became the new chairman of the reconstituted Milton Hershey School Trustees. Mr. Zimmerman has publicly committed to having the Milton Hershey School Trust always retain its interest in The Hershey Company. "

Yes, but at some point, if the bid gets high enough, the Trustees would be breaching their fiduciary responsibility by NOT selling. Hershey trust controls hundreds of millions of dollars and can't find enough ways to spend it that satisfy the terms of Milton's will. Seems a shame that a wider range of kids can't be helped with that money. I think Mondelez' promise to keep the name and keep their headquarters and employees in Hershey might make a big difference in the success or failure of their takeover attempt. If the Trustees could be convinced to move a significant part of their production to Mexico I suspect they might be convinced to sell under the right circumstances. As always, money talks.

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

They (Mondelez) pledge to change their name to Hershey and keep the headquarters and 21,000 employees in PA.

Where have I heard this before? 

Dubious, I am,

Grog

1 minute ago, capngrog said:

Where have I heard this before? 

Dubious, I am,

Grog

Good point, Grog!  When Pennsylvania State University

bought Dickinson College's law school in Carlisle, Penna., circa 2004,

they promised to keep it in Carlisle.  Shortly after the acquisition

was complete, they announced their intention to move it.

Local outcry kept it (at least partially) in Carlisle.

First of all, Hershey did not leave PA!  In face they invested millions and millions of dollars in a new facility here.  They have also built/remodeled new office space and continue to expand Hersheypark.  Yes, they also have a plant in Mexico and elsewhere.

As to the rumor it probably resulted from a proposal by another company to acquire Hershey Foods which so far has been rejected by the board.  This is not the first time this has happened.  Hershey is a "tasty morsel" for a merger but given the uniqueness of the Hershey business model it probably would take a beyond belief offer for the Trust to consider merging or selling.  See Below:

Mondelez International Inc. MDLZ -0.88 % made a roughly $23 billion bid for Hershey Co. HSY -1.36 % in an effort to create the world’s largest candy maker at a time when both companies’ sales are under pressure.

Mondelez, which makes Oreo cookies and Cadbury chocolate bars, recently sent a letter to Hershey proposing a tie-up at $107 a share, half in cash and half in stock. Hershey’s board unanimously rejected the bid Thursday and said it “provided no basis for further discussion.”

I have been attending the "Hershey" fall meet every year since 1968 and will continue to attend.  When I found out that their chocolate was being produced in Mexico however, that was the end of me purchasing any chocolate from them. Perhaps we should just start calling it the AACA Fall Meet.

It truly is all about money. There is no guarantee that the new owners of Hershey will keep the Fall Show where it is. We've already seen that, when Hershey moved it from the Stadium to the Giant Center and now to the Golf Course. More vendor space that way! Soon it will be just like the Grand Nationals. All over the country from year to year.

The fact that director boards consider mergers for long periods of time means that they are doing their job for their stock holders.

These contemplations may not come to fruition, but we all study possible deals on our own scales. We owe that to ourselves as a board of directors owe all considerations to their companies..

I know nothing about the corporation discussed here but I would say the board is doing their job as they are a very successful company.

well Steve, Hershey may not have left, but production did......................

If they pull out of Mexico and come back, then maybe there is some hope.

Regarding Hershey's success- the founder would roll in his grave if he saw the city of Hershey today. He established the co for the good of the people and much has been run into the ground.

there was a time, when "everyone" in Hershey was guaranteed to be employed. That is no longer the case.