Number 1 challenege of owning a Classic Car

Guest Vinnyagus

I didn't really answer the question of challenge in my earlier post. I guess I don't notice any. I fix my own cars, generally buy with money from the hobby, live on the edge of a little hick town of 10,000 people (about half of my pictures are taken on dirt roads), and I buy cars that I personally like without much regard to how others accept them. Reverse any of those comments and I guess I'd have a challenge.

There is a mile of woods and a couple of ponds across the street before you get to the next town so driving is pretty leisurely.

It wasn't always that easy. Until my early 30's I tried to make everything better than new to meet an assumed standard I got from automotive journalism. Then in 1983 I was on a trip to the Keewanee boiler plant to witness some testing for a power plant project. I was staying in the Quad City area of Iowa. While the other guys were hanging out in a bar I found my way to the row of second rate used car lots in Moline. It was dark and under the lights was a black '76-ish big Mercury. That was a nirvana moment for me. I realized I liked clean, stand up cars about 10 years old and understood their condition. From that moment I decided my goal would be to own old cars in the condition of a well maintained 10 year old car. What a burden was lifted. For over 30 years I have maintained that goal and truly enjoyed my cars and the hobby. I can still be a PIA on some details but overall, the relaxed, but achievable goals make for a lot more enjoyment.

I guess that's why the challenges escape me.

My oldest is my age, a 1948. My newest collector car is a 1994. I still have the car I bought when I was 30. Well, my tractor is 10 years older that me, but that's equipment.

Bernie

22 hours ago, helfen said:

It all depends on where you live and if you are capable of traveling or towing a car. A example would be where I live. There are four major clubs in my area that have cars from all stripes, and then there are the special clubs in the area such as the local VW, Porsche, British, Corvette, etc. The four major clubs get together each year to plan events so they don't overlap and each club has a cruise night once a month so that means we have a cruise every week, and each club has one car show a year. I think the reason we have all of this is the city where I live is a car magnet for retired car guys and gals. We also have a group of guys that go to lunch once a week and bring their cars and the restaurants we go to have been able to accommodate us not only with sitting space , but car parking space. The highest number we have had so far is seventy two at one sitting....and you should see the cars in the parking lot! We also have a Bagel shop we all go to every Saturday morning for coffee and kicking tires, year round snow or blow-makes no odds.

Clubs like AACA or CCCA are non existent in our area. For example AACA had a Grand National last year and we would have had to drive clear across the state to get there. If you did want to do that you have to remember that it's not just the expense of the Antique car, but the truck and trailer to pull it with to add into your expense plus a place to stay when you get there.

Most all of our stuff is on the internet, one of the sites is listings for all of our state and some others. 

Helfen,

Where you live sounds like a nice place.  Where in the world is "Vulcania"?  Is it somewhere near Valkenvania?

Just wonderin',

Grog

In addition to all of the above, I find it difficult to find a good place to drive and enjoy my vintage cars. I long for a road with light and sanely driven traffic, and no traffic lights. Traffic in Austin is crowded and fast. Plus, drivers cut you off, run red lights and tail gate. This makes for a less than enjoyable experience. There are nearby nice rural roads with slow traffic and no signals, but I have to drive through all the urban traffic congestion to get to them. Storage and maintenance are critical.

(o{}o)

Hello Vinny, welcome to the AACA. My biggest challenge is where I live. I live on Long Island, NY. The only way for me to get onto the mainland is the Verrazano Bridge, across the Staten Island Expressway to the Goethals Bridge, the George Washington Bridge or the Tappan Zee Bridge. Forget the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels. To access these wonderful bridges I need to travel on such scenic highway's such as the the Long Island Expressway, Cross Bronx Expressway, the Belt Parkway and other "well maintained" roads. Ether they are bumper to bumper parking lots or bumper to bumper moving traffic that the other cars cut in and out of traffic like it's a NASCAR track. I try to leave my house at 3 or 4 AM but believe it or not I can still run into traffic. My friends on the mainland offer to meet me in NJ or PA but I tell them that I can't give them a time when I can meet them, because it could take 2 hours just to get off Long Island! Oh well, thats the price you pay for living in paradise!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Hello Vinny, welcome to the AACA. My biggest challenge is where I live. I live on Long Island, NY. The only way for me to get onto the mainland is the Verrazano Bridge, across the Staten Island Expressway to the Goethals Bridge, the George Washington Bridge or the Tappan Zee Bridge. Forget the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels. To access these wonderful bridges I need to travel on such scenic highway's such as the the Long Island Expressway, Cross Bronx Expressway, the Belt Parkway and other "well maintained" roads. Ether they are bumper to bumper parking lots or bumper to bumper moving traffic that the other cars cut in and out of traffic like it's a NASCAR track. I try to leave my house at 3 or 4 AM but believe it or not I can still run into traffic. My friends on the mainland offer to meet me in NJ or PA but I tell them that I can't give them a time when I can meet them, because it could take 2 hours just to get off Long Island! Oh well, thats the price you pay for living in paradise!

I feel and know your pain 46 Woodie, 2 hours to go 50 miles on the worst roads and even worse neighborhoods to get off of this island, and don't forget the price of the tolls we pay on those poorly maintained bridges/tunnels I bought some parts from a guy in New Brunswick NJ last week, GPS said 72 miles, left my house at 7 AM did not get to him until 9:15 AM, back on the road at 9:30 AM did not get home until 12:30 PM. We have a different challenge then most people on the planet with our cars, but it is a challenge that only us who live here can understand. i know some are asking "why?" as they read our post's, I have been asking that for years. If it were not for the grandchildren and my wife I would have been out of here the day I retired.

We pay way too much and it is not paradise for me any more.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

I was agreeing with John348. Point was that for some tastes change and the challenge is finding a car you will still want in a decade or two.

Beyond that I have found that every car has a price point. You can either spend it up front for a nice car you can enjoy now. Or less for a project you may take years to get right but will cost about the same in the end (labor hours are valueless unless paying someone else). I would never consider one of the latter unless already had one of the former.

MR P, Thank-you for clearing things up, sometimes your post's can get sort of cryptic, difficult for me to figure out what your trying to say and how it applies.

Guest Merler
19 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Interesting question!  And welcome :)

As a woman, my biggest problem is when someone asks about one of my trucks, they always look at my husband and ask questions about "his truck".  He shrugs his shoulders and says, it's not mine!  ask the owner - and he points to me.  Although I don't think you'll have that problem lol ;)

Maintenance on my trucks is basic as they aren't that old - 26 & 27 years - and driven as much as I can lol  Keeping people from leaning and touching them is another problem.

Oh boy ... that's hilarious. I can only imagine the responses. 

Guest Vinnyagus
19 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Interesting question!  And welcome :)

As a woman, my biggest problem is when someone asks about one of my trucks, they always look at my husband and ask questions about "his truck".  He shrugs his shoulders and says, it's not mine!  ask the owner - and he points to me.  Although I don't think you'll have that problem lol ;)

Maintenance on my trucks is basic as they aren't that old - 26 & 27 years - and driven as much as I can lol  Keeping people from leaning and touching them is another problem.

This is cool :-) Thanks for sharing! 

Guest Vinnyagus

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and their #1 challenges of being an owner!  I'm glad i found this forum :-)

Guest Vinnyagus

It appears lack of available parts and lack of storage is a big challenge.  I assume swaps and places like eBay help with parts?  What about the lack of storage space.  Is it now that your extra rooms in the house have now become the new place to "store the parts" ?  :-)

Being from the UK the lack of space is a big issue.  Maybe it's time to build an underground garage :-)

Edited by Vinnyagus (see edit history)

Storage is always a problem for those of us in urban areas where large outbuildings are often prohibited by zoning codes--or by lot size.  A couple of things to consider:

1.  If storage is very limited, buy a car that does NOT need a full restoration, as the rule of thumb is that one needs four full spaces for major disassembly of one car.  Instead, buy a car that you can improve in increments and which will be inoperable for only short periods (e.g., clutch replacement).

2.  You KNOW you'll be acquiring spare parts. We all become hoarders to one degree or another  because we acquire parts in advance of need if the price is right rather than spend perhaps a year or more searching for a particular part when it is actually needed.

Storage racks (I like bakers' racks on casters, from commercial liquidators) and cabinets (take-outs from remodels) are relatively inexpensive and keep stuff off the floor.

• Like 1

I'm speaking as an old guy (72) who likes his comforts and who only returned to the hobby about 8 years ago.  The problem of parts availability (as previously pointed out in this thread) can be somewhat mitigated by the type and vintage of collectible car upon which you choose to lavish your blood $weat and  tear$.  The problem of space, however, is universal to this hobby, and due to the size of our hobby pieces (cars) the space (or lack thereof) problem quickly becomes a priority.  Almost all collectible cars require a dry space to house and work on them, especially since working on them may temporarily open up parts of the car not meant to be exposed to the elements.  Temperature and humidity control, while HIGHLY desirable are less critical, but above all keep the cars dry.  Working on a collectible car (any car, or any "whatever" for that matter) seems more like a hobby if it can be done in comfort and not on your back in a puddle of cold water under the backyard shade tree.  I've known guys who did amazing things with cars out of a single bay garage, but, in my opinion, the very smallest practical space would be a two bay garage: one bay for the car and one bay for the tools etc.

Just my opinion,

Grog

For me the biggest challenge is that soon after owning one, they become much like potato chips.... you can't have just one!

Soon after you own one, people see that one as a "collection" and decide you need another.... and another.... soon you have a "collection" of the particular car and anything associated with it. Ads, parts, etc. 

20150823_132236_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Great read, for a newbie like me, laughed at  the photo with garage extension , as I was just thinking as I read wow some of these guys must have a hanger or barn 

I've only recently  bought a 53 Buick special convertible , been waiting years , major problem had no garage as downsized 15 years ago to a small place with parking space , no good for cherished car. But bought cheap place in north Cyprus , no garage but space so just completed large carport.  Weather is very dry , and have arranged winter garaged storage so should be ok , I hope.

Not comments about cost of spares , learning fast, asking on this forum seems a good way of not getting ripped off , and think the advice on here is an essential tool for looking after your old car.

although my car will be in Cyprus actually live in southern England , so interested to chat to any local Uk members.

Cheers

paul

3 hours ago, Vinnyagus said:

It appears lack of available parts and lack of storage is a big challenge.  I assume swaps and places like eBay help with parts?  ...

Parts aren't a huge problem, unless you have a 

really obscure car.  For really popular antique cars such

as 1928-1931 Ford Model A's or 1965-c. 1969 Ford

Mustangs, 1955-57 Chevrolets, or Chevrolet Chevelles

up to maybe 1972, many parts are available from catalogues.

I think that nearly all General Motors cars from, say,

the mid-1950's up shouldn't give you very much trouble.

Of those, Chevrolets are the most popular and probably easiest.

And other people can speak of products of the Ford Motor Company

and Chrysler Corporation.

The most challenging ones are the older, obscure, cars,

of which there are many (but they're seldom seen), such as

1919 Cunninghams, 1923 Coles, and hundreds of others.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Nick8086 

love the picture , being ignorant of most 50s and 60s American cars , what's the car in picture ?

cheers

paul

Car? What car?

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Be sure to get one of these for your back bumper. It helps.

honk_if_youre_rich_bumper_sticker-r30692

ernie

I gotta have one of these bumper stickers LMAO:lol:!!

Cheers,

Grog

And don't forget the Woodhill Wildfire - was a rush in the early fifties to use fiberglass to get into the MG-TC/Jag 120/Merc SL craze. Were all body and no performance though. (Wouldn't mind a Cad-Allard).

1 hour ago, padgett said:

And don't forget the  Woodhill Wildfire - was a rush in the early fifties to use fiberglass to get into the MG-TC/Jag 120/Merc SL craze. Were all body and no performance though. (Wouldn't mind a Cad-Allard).

Woodhill  Wild fire.. is a great car..

I hope to own one... next to a kaiser..  

My number one problem would be keeping it limited to one.  I like to diversify a bit.  I get bored too easy to keep it limited to just one.  It's nice to bounce a round a bit to keep them all feeling fresh.  It's easy to get bogged down on one project and burnt out.  If you can put it on the back burner and move onto something fresh you will be more enthusiastic when you come back to it.   This leads to the second problem of never having enough space. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

My number one problem would be keeping it limited to one.  I like to diversify a bit.

I'm the other way, for a couple of reasons.  By limiting my collection and expertise to Oldsmobiles (primarily of the 1960s), I've been able to amass the tools, spare parts, and parts cars to keep them running.  Much is common over the years. 

On 5/19/2016 at 3:04 PM, Merler said:

Oh boy ... that's hilarious. I can only imagine the responses. 

On our way to the NJ meet we pull into a gas station. There's a group of guys in the way of my truck. They look right at me... driving... and say to my husband when he jumps out of the passenger side "he man. Nice truck.". He says thanks. Its hers!  Ugh. Put me in a mood immediately!!! Lol

13 hours ago, Grimy said:

There's no "h" in WOODILL

Yeah. And there ain't no F in room. Storage is tough and cars dissolve in water.

Here are some great shots of a bunch of Woodills in action. Most are MG chassis ed :

Lots of shots at the Packard Proving Grounds in the movie. I like the work Darrin did with Packard and some of the European builders.

Bernie

I would rather have a little diveristy.  It seems more exciting to drive totally different types and eras of cars.  I couldn't figure out why guys collect every model of one particular make and all the same year and nothing else.  Seems a bit narrow minded and they don't get to experience all that the old car world has to offer.  I've had the chance to buy back some of the cars I had and passed.  I already owned them,  I would rather try something different.  I know each year and model has their uniqueness.  I've got a 36 Cord( they don't get too much more unique )  but in the end they are fairly basic and similar even the Cord has alot of similarities.  All require the correct air fuel and spark mixture to run along with good compression.  some have unique quirks but nothing that another model probably doesn't have.  The few exceptions would be really early cars.  teens and earlier and the oddballs along the way, like the Cord, Tucker, etc.  They can all be fixed applying most of the same knowledge.  Not so much with later computerized cars where you need to know the electronics almost better than the basic automotive principals.  I've never shied away from a car 30's -60's of any make unless it had known major issues that were cost prohibitive to fix.  I even bought and fixed a few of those.  

Yes is great, can now combine my two major hobbies, cars and computers. Nice thing is just about everything you need is available online from places like moates.net, transtronics.com, and tunercat.com (especially if you like GM cars). Just reprogrammed the GP to run under 200F and bring both fans in with the AC. Have found if you run a computer car under 200F everything under the hood lasts longer.

12 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm the other way, for a couple of reasons.  By limiting my collection and expertise to Oldsmobiles (primarily of the 1960s), I've been able to amass the tools, spare parts, and parts cars to keep them running.  Much is common over the years. 

I feel the same way too, but mine are Olds and Pontiac which can be close sans engines and body parts. I also have a soft spot for VW so I have two of those.

I say collect what you want, It's your own choice. If you collected the Olds brand alone there is so much diversity even within the same year. Think about it, if you collected for example  1966 Oldsmobiles you could have Toronado--A personal Luxury coupe, 442--a muscle car, 98 --A luxury car. They are all different and have different missions or purpose. I get what Joe is saying and it make sense. Plus he is happy. Whatever floats your boat 

41 minutes ago, padgett said:

Yes is great, can now combine my two major hobbies, cars and computers. Nice thing is just about everything you need is available online from places like moates.net, transtronics.com, and tunercat.com (especially if you like GM cars). Just reprogrammed the GP to run under 200F and bring both fans in with the AC. Have found if you run a computer car under 200F everything under the hood lasts longer.

Mr P,

Could you please explain how does what you posted apply to the "number 1 challenge to owning a classic/vintage car"? Because you lost me again. Computers? Electric fans? Modified cars or used cars?