Beginner Question re: Maintenance of an Antique Car

Guest CharonNova

Guest CharonNova

This might be kind of a weird question but my grandfather has a '53 Buick Skylark that's basically his most prized possession. I've never sat in it or even been in the garage with it without him present. He loves that car and it's easily the most valuable thing he owns. He's mentioned that when he passes, he never wants the car to be sold - he really wants it to just stay in our family. As the oldest grandchild, it seems likely that someday the car will be mine and I fully intend to honor his wishes. The problem is that I don't know much about classic cars - definitely not cars from the '50s. I can do okay with modern cars and have even messed around in the garage with my friend's '70 Hemi but if I were to inherit the Skylark down the road, I don't think I'd have the expertise to maintain it myself. My question is: can you just roll up to an auto shop with a car like that and expect that they'll know how to maintain it if needed? I live in the Hollywood area which is pretty much car country. Sometimes, I'll even see some classic cars parked out front of the auto shop up the block, but even then, I can't recall seeing anything quite as antique as grandpa's Skylark. I'd like to think grandpa has some years left in him and then the Skylark's going to my dad anyway but as ridiculous as it sounds, this question sometimes really stresses me. So, if anyone has any insight into whether classic antique cars can be generally maintained by local auto shops, please let me know. Otherwise, would there be some kind of specialty garage I would need to get to know? 

When you say "maintain", do you mean like regular maintenance, such as oil changes, greasing and lubing fittings, etc?  Is that what you mean with the word "maintain"? 

Or do you mean repairing?  Repairing-- such as in fixing things that go wrong with the car from use? 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

I would suggest joining a local car club in your area. Somebody there will be able to point you in the right direction, or even better tell you where not to go! There most likely be a member or two who does this type of work out of their house. I think that would be a great starting point.

Good Luck, and I hope your grandfather has many years left to enjoy his pride and joy

You should have the factory shop manual. Maybe your gramp's already has one. They are available on CD or cheaply as reprints.

61lRKz3CKjL._SY427_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Buick-CD-ROM-Repair-Manuals-models/dp/B00435HS1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462299475&sr=8-1&keywords=1953+buick+skylark+shop+manual

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-53-Buick-Shop-Manuals-Skylark-76-Roadmaster-Century-Super-Special-w-Bonus-/251866160185?hash=item3aa4649c39:g:mCwAAOSwBahU918H&vxp=mtr

Here's some info like sources for parts, "The only transmission used in the Skylark was a Twin Turbine Dynaflow..."

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2008/04/1953-Buick-Skylark/1609686.html

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

I would suggest that to preserve a car in good condition the #1 issue is you must have safe, dry garaging.  The car must be protected from rodents, garden tools, kids, vandals, excessive dust and fallout and excessive moisture or condensation, etc.  You need a house with your own garage or a safe rental unit, both cost $$$.  You can’t leave a 1953 Skylark parked outside.

Also a car will slowly deteriorate even in good storage. Batteries and rubber parts age, fuel and brake systems gum up, etc.  Eventually some service will come up and professional mechanics are used to servicing modern cars, a 1953 Buick will not be in a regular days work.  You can either find a mechanic willing and able to learn about the Buick service or learn yourself.  Basic mechanicals like fluid levels and greasing can be done by most mechanics but you do have to get service manual info so you/they know what to do. Good luck with the car, Todd C

51 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

I would venture a guess that most folk familiar with this car would say it is far easier to maintain/repair than any post 2010 vehicle?

Not true. Most repair places only know how to plug the car into a computer, and replace the part it tells them to.

For a 1953 Skylark you will need someone familiar with older cars that knows how to diagnose without a computer. Checking for recommendations with a local Buick club would be a good start. Otherwise look for shops that have antique cars in nice condition being worked on there. Talk to them about bringing your car in, and see how they respond. If they say, "sure, we can work on anything" be a little bit leery. See if they have any knowledge about the car at all first. Ones that are willing to work on it if you can provide them with parts or info are usually better than ones that claim they know and can do everything. Start with simple things like oil changes and lube jobs, if they do that well, then you can try them on a little bit bigger jobs.

• Like 1

QUOTE: Linc400:          "Not true. Most repair places only know how to plug the car into a computer, and replace the part it tells them to."

True Linc400. 

Personally, I would never take an Antique Auto (especially a 1953 Skylark) to the neighborhood / corner Auto Repair shop. 

The OP was asking about how to "maintain" his car, which is a different animal than "repair".  I am betting he means repair. 

Yes, he needs to find people who know how to work on old Buicks, not a plug in diagnostician. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

First I would purchase a service manual geared for the '53 Buick, such as a Chiltons, etc. These car's are relatively simple. Purchase a good grease gun for the suspension and follow the manual. Get a feeler gauge for the points. Points, condenser, plugs, cap and rotor are easy replacements. If you change the plug wires do them one at a time and you can't make a mistake. I think the more you dig into the car you will find that it's not that hard to maintain and is actually a labor of love and very therapeutic. I agree not to bring the car to a service station unless the mechanics are in their '70 or '80s and know what they are looking at. Everyone on this site will be willing to help you with information. Join a local car club and when you get more involved join the AACA. I would have given anything to get my grandfather's car, enjoy every minute of it and every time you get behind the wheel think of him, you are one lucky guy.

Well you live is an area conducive to car life. I assume it has a black plate ? '53 Skylark was a special car and worth quite a bit of money so need to protect from being stolen.

beyond that a lot depends on how much you intend to drive it. e.g. if not at all then best to drain the fuel & put on stands

Repairs are easy if you understand '53 Buicks, impossible if not. Either learn yourself or pay the money for someone who know how (helps if you are a friend to one of the local enthusiasts.)

To keep it properly is not going to be cheap unless a display item. Is like a boat in that respect.

If your grandfather  has this in his stuff.. Keep it. I need to buy one some day...

If he wants to keep it in the family make  sure the title reads WROS.. ... with your name ...

I tell you to do this.. But I am just as bad.. I have 7 cars still in my name only...

Some do this for this reason divorce .. I just bought the cars before I got married and never changed them..

brake puller.JPG

pickupbrake.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I think the best way to stop stressing about the unknown is to learn a bit about it. Do some reading. Talk to your Grandfather about it. Ask if you can watch when he works on it. Or help = pass him the tools! My guess is he will be tickled pink if you show an interest in the car and will be very pleased to show you around what is required. After all, he knows about it, so who better to talk to? You could also work on it with your father when he gets it.

We were all greenhorns once. I remember it well. It is a struggle, but you can get by. A reasonable manual will guide you through the maintenance required and how often to do it. You will have to learn about repairs too. Good manuals have Troubleshooting sections. There is some information on the 'net, but it is hard to sort the useful stuff from the plain dumb if you don't know any better and you will only learn by reading it up and doing it. Maybe even buy a car of suitable vintage and technology to learn on. But be careful, the old car bug can be contagious and addictive!

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I think the best way to stop stressing about the unknown is to learn a bit about it. Do some reading. Talk to your Grandfather about it. Ask if you can watch when he works on it. Or help = pass him the tools! My guess is he will be tickled pink if you show an interest in the car and will be very pleased to show you around what is required. After all, he knows about it, so who better to talk to? 

I would say that if anybody came over to my house and showed interest in one of my cars and seriously wanted to help me with it and know about it, and go for a ride to a car show, and was terribly interested in it, chances are that he would be the owner of it eventually.

Roger

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Keeping the Skylark in good dry storage is of the utmost importance as others have already stated.  One of the other important things is to drive the car at least once every month or more if possible.  Only take it out on days with no rain and on dry salt free roads.  You should drive it at least 10 to 20 miles each time so it fully warms up and condensation is burned off.  Keep the oil and filter changed at least once a year.  The worst thing is to let it sit for long periods of time without driving it. 

• Like 1

Guest CharonNova

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! I actually sort of have a fear of driving it at this point - it just seems taboo because of my grandfather valuing it so much. I imagine if I inherit the car, it will spend most of its time in the garage so I don't think a ton of maintenance would be required but as I get more comfortable, I might take it out for a drive on holidays when the roads are clearer. I think I'll probably contact some local car clubs for advice when the time comes. Thanks again for all of your help!

Not sure of your age, but I'm younger myself. I never got a car from a family member but it's good to see you finding yourself here. What I've seen over the years is far too many folks (including myself in the past), are quick to try and improve on factory parts. You shouldn't be scared to drive it, but of course I encourage you to keep it original. They are beautiful machines and represent the period of history they come from. I learned how to fix cars myself on a $300 AMC Eagle I had to borrow money for a few weeks on right out of high school. In this case, it sounds like you've already got some basic wrenching experience. The old stuff is pretty easy to work with, a service manual is job one IMO. I have a small library of them for cars I've never even owned. Not only are they great references for how to fix things, they normally give an overview of the components as well, granted from a service perspective. Still I enjoy reading the service manuals. Also on the cheap you can buy copies of the owners manuals. Read that. 

If you really want the car for yourself, I would advise being proactive and not treat it like a handout. Does he take the car to any shows himself? Ask to go along. Respect that there is another generation between you and him, your aunts and uncles may want the vehicle. Your grandfather may want it to stay in the family but that can get tricky and someone else may want to sell it. From what you said, it would be a significant part of his estate. You're best shot at it is to get whoever your parent is that is his child interested. Figure out what the car is actually worth (not just what your family thinks it is or should be) and start saving! If no one else in the family wants the car and you can offer the estate a reasonable price with the promise of fulfilling your grandfathers wishes of keeping it close then that's what I would do. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 0:39 PM, CharonNova said:

I've never sat in it or even been in the garage with it without him present. He loves that car...  

Here's a suggestion, Charon Nova:  Ask to go for a ride

with your grandfather in the Skylark.  I assume he takes it out

occasionally.  One car collector I know out that way enjoys the

Angeles Crest Highway, which goes 'way out of town into the hills.

Maybe you and your grandfather could go to a car show together

in the Skylark.  The Skylark would be interesting to onlookers at any show.

Not only will you enjoy some time with your grandfather--which

you'll always remember after he has passed on--but he will very much

enjoy the time spent with you.

• Like 1

Well , you sure don't have to worry about having to drive on salted roads , but keep it out of salt spray at the ocean. Rain ? Not likely , obviously. Bit perhaps less obvious : DO NOT PARK A VALUABLE CAR IN THE SUN ! Sun kills cars ! Go to the trouble and inconvenience of parking in the shade. Find hard shade. Even if you have to walk a few blocks. Find a place to park out of the sun , or go do something else somewhere else. Carry enough folding sunshades and a car cover with you at all times in case of an emergency. I myself am an obsessive , fanatic lunatic about this. You oughtta see the black interior on my '76 Eldo droptop. I got it as a cheap , very low mileage used car over 30 years ago. Just a fun daily driver. Crossed the country a few times in it. Down/up the coast too many times to count. So. Cal. 'Vegas. Owens Valley. Desert Southweat. A real driver/cruiser. I ALWAYS park it in the shade. Yeah , check out  my interior some time. People look at the battle scarred old thing and ask me who did the incredible interior/re-upholstry job. No , it was General Motors , Man. As it came down the Cadillac assembly line decades ago. That is all original ! KEEP IT OUT OF THE SUN ! If you are infrequently at a show for a short display period , keep vulnerable areas like your steering wheel covered. Even on a cloudy day. SUN KILLS CARS ! It is cumulative and irreversible. So is time. It slips right on away. Enjoy "Gramps". He is a good man.  -  Carl

Guest CharonNova

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone, it really helps. Just to be clear, the Skylark is probably going to go to my father before it goes to me anyway but I'm just trying to be ready for anything because the car is really important to my family (not so much for its monetary value but for how much my grandpa loves it and how much we love him). I don't think he's brought it to a car show in a long time but maybe I can talk him into it. It's worth a shot!

If your grandfather is like most of us he is probably anxiously looking for the right person to take a real interest in taking over the old car, it is a commitment and not just about an inheiritance.  If you have ever seen the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino" you will see behavior in two people that an old car owner is (or should be) watching out for.  Hope you and your Dad are both into the idea and good of you to plan ahead and ask questions, good luck, Todd C       

P1010091.JPG

Re-read reply's numbered 14 & 19.  Then start sharing your Skylark interest with your father & grandfather.  This could easily bring some joy to all three of you.   Don't take over, just show enough interest in getting them to teach you about the Skylark with you do the manual work while they instruct.  (Especially the lying on the floor jobs which old guys hate.  Voice of experience here57 Speedster.jpg)

I remember father-son, grandson & grandfather projects when i wss the youngster and  once I got to help and get my hands dirty, there was a common interest.  Then, when I wanted a motorcycle or car of my own, the deal was,  Dad would pay half the cost but, I had to restore it before I could drive it.  Which meant I'd have so much sweat equity in it that I'd darn sure take care of it.  That plan has worked well for almost 60 years and over 100 cars.  (Except after I got past the first one, the part about Dad paying half was over)

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 4:24 PM, LINC400 said:

Not true. Most repair places only know how to plug the car into a computer, and replace the part it tells them to.

I guess it is a matter of opinion?.  My  frame of reference is one of doing the maintenance/repair myself.

I would much rather diagnose and repair my 50 - 60 era rides than my 21st century machines.  I don't need a code reader, noid light or other computer thingy to tell me where to begin looking for problem causes.