Das Awkscht Fescht Car Show at Macungie, Pa. 2015

cutlasguy

Guest Skyking

Sorry I missed the show this year.  It's one of my favorite most organized shows around.  Something for everyone, plus a great swap meet.  Hopefully I'll make it next year. 

I used to be a great show with LOTS of Brass Era cars and Pre WWII Motorcycles. Bob 

I noticed a sharp drop-off in cars of the mid-1920's and

earlier about 5 years ago.  They always had a lot of 'Teens

cars there, more than most shows.  This year I noticed a

1916 Chalmers and a 1923 (?) Haynes, characteristic of

what used to be more than a dozen from that era.

And I believe there were fewer Classics this year, as well.

But it is still an excellent show--with at least 1100 antique cars--

and it is one I plan on never missing.

It's organized by the Ontelaunee Region of the A.A.C.A.,

and many thanks to them and to their other volunteers!

I was there selling parts for the 19th year. Back when it was a terrific flea market guys like me couldn't get a space. Now anybody can walk right in the day of show and take your choice. Sadly it looks like about 50% empty so they raise the rates. Just like most shows it's dying out and you're deluding yourself to think otherwise. As we old hands disappear there aren't any new ones stepping up, maybe a few instant collectable vendors, there was a vendor selling polishes near me who won't be back. It's still nice to be within a car show but, as said the quality cars are sitting it out, too.I thought they'd advertise more, even in these forums but this was the first mention and it didn't come till after.

Dave;

We in the Ontelaunee Region are aware of many of the problems we are seeing with Das Awscht Fescht. Most of us are on the show field for the whole event. We know we have a lot of improvement to work on, including finding enough volunteers to help out!!! As you said, most of the problems are the samr as many shows are experiencing. As far as "advertise more" , I posted under Meets and Tours on this web site in January. I know that is far from enough, but it was posted. Just one of the many problems to deal with.

Dave

Guest AlCapone

This might be an ideal forum to recruit volunteers for next year ! Your problems are not unique in fact they are universal. The enemies. of the swap meets are EBay, travel costs and an aging population. Every year they take their toll and you see long running events cancelled, I wish the event every success in the future ! Wayne

A vendor I know used to take up 3 spaces. This year he used just one and instead of his big truck he brought only a van. After Friday he didn't bother going back. He says no one wants to spend money, coupled with the show raising the rental fee means he doubts he will bother next year. I asked a very well known and large restoration supply dealer why he stopped coming to the flea market. He had a one sentence answer: "I don't make any money there."

I don't know if there is a fix for the problem but it seems like flea markets are going the way of the Dodo bird................Bob

I love Hershey and flea markets in general but quite honestly I can be more productive finding parts in 1 hour on the internet than 3 days at Hershey wandering the flea market. Sad but them's the facts. Couple that with today's youth being accustomed to instant gratification and you have a combo that's hard to argue against. Yet local "cruise-ins" are thriving. We have one about 1 mile from our shop that draws sometimes 700 + cars on a Friday evening. I am encouraged by the fact that we are starting to get inquiries about restoration work from much younger hobbyists. In the last year we have rewooded a '28, done considerable mechanical work on a '35 and been approached about painting a Model A and did a complete engine and trans rebuild on a T, all belonging to folks in their 30's and all being restored rather than rodded.

A vendor I know used to take up 3 spaces. This year he used just one and instead of his big truck he brought only a van. After Friday he didn't bother going back... coupled with the show raising the rental fee...

Based on the laws of economics:

If there are fewer vendors, and fewer

people buying from the vendors, then

the organizers should be lowering the

price of the flea market to attract people--

not raising the price.

I have seen organizations react to a decline by

actually raising their rates.  "We need to make

more money, as much as we used to," someone

probably has figured.  "Let's raise the prices."

Because higher prices dampen demand,

they don't realize that they are actually worsening the decline!

It's still an excellent show, however.  And if anyone

reading this has never attended, he should check it out

next August, 2016.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

We have the same problem at our Crosley National show. Why is the flea market shrinking? (or in our case SHRUNK). Years ago we filled the infield of our show grounds with 30-50 Crosley parts vendors or more, now a dozen tops. What has happened?? The aforementioned online bugaboo is the biggest factor. It is easy to sit in front of a computer and find everything you want with any uncomfortable interaction. It works on the part of sellers as well as buyers. A seller can set a price and never be forced to renegotiate on line. Plus that on line market is worldwide....not just a few people who happen to be there that day. Add to that the fact that it seems there are more "accumulators" of parts than ever, who hold on to supplies instead of liquidating them for people who need them NOW (you know....I might need these for my next project...trust me I do it too...so now I have 9 extra transmissions). I have pledged to my self (and my wife) that I will take a truckload of parts to next year's flea market no matter what!!! If I do that every year, I should get rid of a pretty good percentage of my "excess" spares before I die. BTW, our flea market costs 10 dollars for a 2 day vendor space that has hundreds of Crosley only people as its audience and it declines more every year!!! One of our major vendors of NOS and top flite rebuilt items that used to come from Florida every year, no longer comes. Its too far to go to sell to people who will come to him anyway!!! He can sell all he wants by e-mail and phone.

Like many car shows, Macungie seems to have taken on a "cruise mentality" in the last 2 years.  For any one who has been there in the past, Friday was always "variety show" day, where street rods/customs are welcome along side antiques, and all are parked as they arrive.  This being the reason I no longer participate on Friday.

Until 2 years ago Saturday followed modified AACA  rules for vehicle placement.  Granted Class 27 was becoming a fiasco encompassing years '54 - '90, but it was nice to see "Classic Chevies" in one area, Mustangs in another, Early Ford V-8's, Model A's etc.  I overheard many car owners and spectators alike comment on the dislike of the current 4-era classification.  It's just too "cruise-like".  There were some early cars there, but you had to sort through all prewar to find them.

Sunday is "Club Day" where marque clubs sponsor gatherings of club honored vehicle.  You need not be a member to show your car, but you might just want to join.  Lately it seems in some cases, less club presence and just a representative to park like vehicles.  Aside from the few clubs recognizing prewar only, the showfield was dominated by '60's and '70's vehicles.  Chevies were dominated by Camaros and Monte Carlos, with only 3 Stovebolt era cars.  What a change from years ago.  The Chysler area was mostly '60's B-body, only 1 prewar DeSoto.  Again, cruise-like.  The Chrysler 300 Feature was excellent, and Packards had a commendable turnout.  But, 3 Hudsons, 4 Kaisers, and only 10 Studes!  What happened?

The registration form for Saturday and Sunday stipulates NO streetrods/customs as this is put on by an AACA region, but don't get me started on all the same aftermarket mag wheels and chrome valve covers present I see at the cruise nights. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing The Fescht.  It was ALWAYS my favorite meet of the summer.  But, sadly, I came away thinking next year's registration is not a given.

I haven't met anybody who likes the new parking arrangement. Another wrench in the works this year was trailer parking. We always parked trailers at the Allen Organ parking lot. This year there was a big "Private Property NO Parking" sign at the entrance. Someone at the show said to park at another Allen lot. When we left the show there were notices on everyone's wind shield saying don't park there. Hope they get it together for next year................Bob

Do any of the people that run the other events there conpare notes, and address problems they all seam to run into? Hot Rod show is in a few weeks, friend just got his reservation paperwork, last week he is #42. Looks like the Hot Rod meet is taking a hit with the turnout too. Bob 

Bob;

Allen Organ stopped parking on the small lot 2 or 3 years ago. The larger lot had a big sign on it directing show cars to the left side of the lot. If you got there very early Saturday (like before 7 am) there WAS a no parking sign entering the lot but it was there from Friday. The sign directing cars to the left replaced it. Be asssured theere was a contract with Allem Organ for parking on that lot. Oh ,,,, by the way, even with no parking signs at the lower lot, and signs directing cars to the left on the upper lot, there were still people who parked wherever they pleased. This causes problems with the Allen Organ people and may cause the loss of the other lot also!!!

Here's what I saw and my experience on Saturday, Dave. I arrived at the Allen lot on Rt 100 about 0800 and was greeted by a home made plywood "no parking sign" and nothing else. Another trailer showed up and he sent his wife to the show to ask for more info. She was told we were to turn on Race St and park at the Allen lot there. When we got there we were met by another plywood "no parking sign". Again, no other info or directions. Since we were verbally told to park there we did so along with about 4 other guys. After the show we found paper on the wind shields telling us not to park there again, but rather go to the Spruce St. lot.

A look at Google Earth shows there is another large lot behind Allen's buildings on Spruce St, off Race St. that, I'm guessing, was the agreed upon parking area but a show participant would have NO way of knowing that since the show's brochure only mention of trailer parking was that it was provided a short way from the show and there was NO signage indicating the way to trailer parking.

At neither lot with the plywood no parking signs was there any other signage giving instructions or directions. It was simply "NO PARKING". The verbal directions given to us at the show was simply go to Race St and park at Allen, which we did.

What we have here is a failure of the show to communicate............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I would agreee Bob.   I arrived Saturday am at the "Spruce street" lot which I knew in advance (called the contact number for the show) was the correct lot and was greeted by that same large plywood "NO PARKING" sign.   Because I had contacted the show for the correct lot, I knew that the sign was wrong and probably left over from Friday.  I parked there anyway.   I am not sure why there isn't better communication on trailer parking.   It is a question I will ask at our next meeting!!!  BTW...I had never parked in the rte 100 lot by the main showroom that you describe.   I've been going for only the last 10 years and first parked on the upper Race street lot and then 2 or 3 years ago was told we had to use the other lot.

I would agreee Bob.   I arrived Saturday am at the "Spruce street" lot which I knew in advance (called the contact number for the show) was the correct lot and was greeted by that same large plywood "NO PARKING" sign.   Because I had contacted the show for the correct lot, I knew that the sign was wrong and probably left over from Friday.  I parked there anyway.   I am not sure why there isn't better communication on trailer parking.   It is a question I will ask at our next meeting!!!  BTW...I had never parked in the rte 100 lot by the main showroom that you describe.   I've been going for only the last 10 years and first parked on the upper Race street lot and then 2 or 3 years ago was told we had to use the other lot.

I've also been doing the show for at least 10 years and have always, along with at least 6 others, parked my trailer at the show room lot with no problem. Not knowing of the other lot I always thought there should be more trailers.

There REALLY does need to be better communication/signage vis-à-vis trailers if there is friction with Allen........Bob

Well I know that there is a contract with Allen designating the lot, insurance coverage etc.  It is something not publicized.   Perhaps they should publicize it more and charge for trailer parking (just kidding buddy!!!lol)  I will, as I said, bring it up to the committee at the next meeting.

We parked at the Rt 100 lot on Saturday, as we have for the past several years. Another couple parking their trailer in the lot told us that when they saw the "no parking" sign, they went down to the show field and were told to return to that lot, that parking there was ok. No notes were left on our windshield. We normally bring a brass era car or Model T in a trailer as we live over an hour away in NJ, without easy trailer parking we would bring a more "modern" antique car to the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a sharp drop-off in cars of the mid-1920's and

earlier about 5 years ago.  They always had a lot of 'Teens

cars there, more than most shows.  This year I noticed a

1916 Chalmers and a 1923 (?) Haynes, characteristic of

what used to be more than a dozen from that era.

And I believe there were fewer Classics this year, as well.

But it is still an excellent show--with at least 1100 antique cars--

and it is one I plan on never missing.

It's organized by the Ontelaunee Region of the A.A.C.A.,

and many thanks to them and to their other volunteers!

Now, you think there would be a LOT of pre-1920 cars there, and here's why:  PRE-1920 gets in for free!! :)

Cost for a 1920 and after car is $12 to $15, depending on when you register.  To be a patron at the gates, without a car is $8.  I hopped in my 1917 Maxwell, after registering for free, and I got in for 49 cents--the cost of a postage stamp!  Hey, it costs NOTHING to go, why not?  I drove 4 miles to the show, and had a blast!

Edited by mrcvs (see edit history)

I hopped in my 1917 Maxwell, after registering for free...

That's great, Mr. CVS!  I wish there were more car owners like you.

A person can see the "usual" antiques at any show, but seeing 

something different makes a car show more special.

I think that most of the cars of that overlooked 1916-1920's era--

cars that were shown 30, 40, 50 years ago--tend to sit in the garages

of their owners, now 80 years old themselves, and get out far less

frequently than they used to.  As the happy owner of a 1916 car,

I'd like to help break that trend!

Do you suppose that in this day of reduced income and far greater expenses for travel , rooms, food etc. that GREED could be a factor? With the increased admission fee and registration fees, older people who have the machines we desire to see say , "why go there for an expensive time, when it used to be reasonable". I happen to be one of these, I no longer attend after the last few years of diminished vendors and increased expenses, it is no longer cost effective.  GREED plays a large part and if the organizers can't see this, it is only a matter of time before it is FINISHED. 

But Mr. CVS pointed out that the early cars got in free!

That's a very generous gesture by the organizers.

But I agree to a point, Mr. RCR:  many non-automotive

organizations these days seem to be raising money off us

car hobbyists by charging us to bring them their entertainment!

I don't mind, though, when it's a car club, and the registration

cost is partially offset by trophies, dash plaques, goody bags,

or other give-aways.

Mr. RCR;

I am not sure I understand where you see GREED here. The Ontelaunee Region organizes the activity and puts the labor into it. A portion of the car registration goes to the facility where it is held. For a 12.00 entry fee this year one of the participation awards was a duster that I have not seen sell for less than 10.00 anywhere. The admission fee for spectators is also decided by the facility. The Region has been looking at ways to bring back vendors and cars but most people have noticed that the amount of vendors is down at EVERY event these days. The on line availability of EVERYTHING has made much of that happen. WE surely don't have any control of travel and hotel expenses. I would personally be happy to forward any suggestions for improvemen that you may have to the Region. We want to bring the event to its former glory as much as you want to see it happen!!!

• Like 1

What type of leverage does the club have with the town of Macungie?  What if you did not have the show there, what impact would that be to the town? They may be willing to bend a little in order to continue to receive the economic benefits that the show brings to their town.

What about the other associations that feed off of the the show, the American Legion and any other groups that benefit from the show economically. Approach them and see what can be worked out to keep the show going. 

At the current rate, the vendors count will continue its downward trend and the spectators will dwindle because of it and the lack of older cars showing up. So concentrate on what is the current draw to the show, the cars and the vendors.

Section off the craft portion of the event and charge an additional $2.00 to enter.

Start thinking differently about your event and look for new ways to do things.

Here are some suggestions for the automobile portion of the event:

For the first two days lower the entrance fee back to $6.00. On Saturday charge $9.00 or $10. Sunday?

Stop using one price fee structures. Charge the automotive vendors a daily fee.  Half price for the first two days and raise it for Saturday and Sunday (if Sunday has any benefit for them, if not lower it back).

Charge the non automotive vendors in the automotive flea market the current rate for all days.

Reasonably raise the consession fees for all days.

Offer free admission to any car older than 1940.

$25.00 admission for 1940 - 1969.

$30.00 admission for 1969 and above.

Contact manufacturers for donations or participation fees and see if there is any interest in dispalying their current cars and set up a specific areas for them  on the field. Compare the new with the old. See if they will present cash awards to car owners to acknowledge an old car from their heritage.

Have a random drawing for all car show participants and offer a 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place cash award to them for showing their car at your event.

Provide a voting jar for attendees to place a dollar in it  to vote for the one car of all the cars that  they like the best and split the proceeds with the owner that get the most votes and use the balance to help fund the three awards.

Put a pencil to the above and see if it works (I am not privy to your expenses) and modify it as needed. Think differently about what should be charged for and what not to charge for. Bring on some corporate sponsors with some marketing dollars to help promote. You are seldom mentioned in the various event listings when a search goes out on the internet or in the various hobby publications. You need lead time announcements so people can plan to attend.

I am sure that you can probably come up with many more ideas that you can use to bring this show back up as one of the events that you want to make sure that you attend each year.

Hope this gets the juices flowing.

This is all a case of getting young people into the hobby. Ain't gonna happen. I'll still keep coming back as long as I can keep slinging milk crates full of parts that nobody wants into the back of my truck a nd bringing most of them back again. I applaud Dave and his Ontelaunee club for their efforts but nobody can deny that this show is dying. The management used to always insist they were sold out. They don't delude themselves any more. The quality vendors are replaced by big Advance Auto trailers and car care products that you can buy in any town in the corner store,bring it back if you're not satisfied. People who come long distances and leave empty handed will never come back. This reminds me of a new apartment complex that insists on only the best tenants. After a few vacancies they get less stringent on their requirements then they let anybody and everybody in and the few remaining good tenants have to leave.

Dave, I agree that the show is spiraling down.  As a paramedic, I am always looking for ways to keep someone from dying, so the show is another patient!!   The flea market does not sell out any more, but then, we also have had over 3,000 cars over the 3 days so that , to me is a bigger problem!!!

Mr. CP Walter, the Region thanks you for your suggestions, and I will certainly will take them to our meeting for consideration.  One thing, just 3 posts above yours, the region was accused of greed.  many of your suggestions involve, at least, changes in price structure which will be viewed as price increases. As far as leverage with the town, it is a point worth asking, however, the event has been viewed as a Macungie event, I don't think it would survive a move.   BTW, the event is only 3 days not 4.  Many of the suggestions you have made are NOT controlled by the region, but rather by the location, and even though we take the heat for them, we have no control on the prices of a lot of the things.  And, quite frankly, I HATE those shows that do a "dollar a vote" popularity contests.   I could never be convinced that somehow this judges the best car.  I do, however agree, that if the show is to reverse its path, we need to think differently!!

...nobody can deny that this show is dying. ...

Like Hershey, it's not quite as big as it used to be;

but 1100 to 1300 excellent antique cars on the

show field each day is a level that just about ANY

other club would love to achieve.  From my standpoint in

another AACA region, I'd say its health is pretty robust.

Ask car collectors in the central parts of the country,

and they would be thrilled to have even 200 cars of 

that quality at their local shows.

Sort of like the runner who can't do a 4.5-minute mile

any more, but his 6 minutes is better than 98% of the

population! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

You want to hear about another large show that is mucking around with the judging, try Slatington, Pa. To start with, they gave each entrant a small envelope, along with a sheet of tear off tickets. The envelope sticks on your windshield and you traverse the field, tearing off a ticket for each class and placing it in the envelope of your favorite car. This worked fine until entrants started exchanging tickets with others in their class in order to push their buddies to the top.

Next came a real doozie! They began to choose First, Second and Third place by lottery. Problem was that they pulled the winners from the pre registered and registered list, and many hadn't even attended the events. They were left with many unclaimed trophys as a result. My buddy won Second Place and his car sat home in his garage! Scrap that plan big time!!

Now this year they plan on awarding the best and second best of each car make. Fine, except they would have to arrange the classes by car make also and I can't see them doing that. They don't have the space that Macungie has, even though its at the airport. Should be fun!

The biggest problem almost any local club faces with an event the size of the Fescht is finding enough people to do everything that needs to be done.   That was one of the reasons for the change in class set up there.  There was simply not enough people to set up the classes one way one day and a different way the other.   Set up of the field and flea market area takes a lot of time and people.  Parking of show vehicles, vendor relations, flea market, etc etc.  all take a lot of people and time.   I can see where Slatington has a lot of problems in the same way...finding enough people to judge!!!  I went through that with organizing a local show.  I finally ended up giving everyone 3 votes.   That way everyone could vote for their own car, 1 vote for a buddy and one vote for a truely good car!!!  It still ended up with vote trading.   What people go through for a trophy!!! 

John S, you are right, we do have a lot to be thankful for, but that still means we have a responsibility to keep it good and make it better!!! 

I did not mean to open up a whole can of worms...

I am GRATEFUL for the free admission for a pre-1920 car, and it encourages me to come!  I think a car show is unique in that the main attraction is charged, if post 1920, to even show up.  Unlike a museum, where you are a guest, and the attraction is already there.  In an IDEAL world, the admission for all cars would be free, and the guests would pay enough in order for this to all happen.  Even with free pre 1920 admissions there were a fair number, but NOT a whole lot of pre-1920 cars.  Once again, I wish to stress how THANKFUL I am to receive this discount. 

Once again, though...looking at the BIG picture, you can blame the internet for ruining it all!  Young kids don't even want to drive, they are simply happy texting each other.  If they don't even want to drive a modern car, how will they ever become interested in an early car?  Then, when it comes to finding a part...and I am guilty of this as well, it is easier to google a part on the internet than to browse through rows of items and never finding it.  BUT, the attraction of the flea market, is not knowing WHAT you will find, and this is something the internet can NEVER replace!

It is so incredibly fun to fire up my 1917 Maxwell, and glide down the road, no computer, no internet, no cell phone.  Besides, if it was to ring, how ever could I hear it above the roar of my Maxwell?

Edited by mrcvs (see edit history)

An interesting number of responses...  From my point of view, I've been attending car shows in the Northeast for around 35 years and have put many of my cars in the shows. Frankly, I'm tired of having to pay $15 to $20 to enter my car, only to have the people coming to see it pay less. If your limiting factor is the cost of the rental for your site, find another site. Simple, isn't it... Cruise-ins are real popular because the car shows are usually totally free. Why do so many organizers think a driver will pay anything to display his car?  If you could somehow reduce your expenses, you could then charge a more reasonable rate for both the spectators and the participants. It's simple economics.

Frank

An interesting number of responses...  From my point of view, I've been attending car shows in the Northeast for around 35 years and have put many of my cars in the shows. Frankly, I'm tired of having to pay $15 to $20 to enter my car, only to have the people coming to see it pay less. If your limiting factor is the cost of the rental for your site, find another site. Simple, isn't it... Cruise-ins are real popular because the car shows are usually totally free. Why do so many organizers think a driver will pay anything to display his car?  If you could somehow reduce your expenses, you could then charge a more reasonable rate for both the spectators and the participants. It's simple economics.

Frank

I don't have an answer here that makes sense, economically, for the show's SPONSOR, but, YES, you hit the head on the head squarely!  If you bring your antique car to a show, why should you have to pay MORE than someone who is just a general patron?  You are part of the entertainment, you should get in for less (or for free), and the general public pays to get in.  BUT, of course, does this make enough so that the sponsor can even break even?

The Macungie Truck show on Fathers Day weekend is not exhibiting some of the problems that Das Awkscht Fescht is experiencing. Yes, the flea market seems to be smaller but the number of trucks is astounding and, public admission is FREE.  It is one of the great shows of the Summer. Some may not like my previous greed statement but, I am listening to the scuttlebutt of the last few years and vendors and public are not satisfied. This is not an opinion, these are the statements of dissatisfaction. Follow the examples of successful events and lower your admission fee, this is not Carlisle. It used to be a must go to event of the Summer, but no more. 

Let's talk about Sunday, long known as "Club Day".  I've been attending the Fescht regularly since 1980 when it truly was club day!  Not every marque was represented, but the show field was packed with show cars and spectators alike.  It was an honor if your club was represented and you could enter your car.  In those days, the club determined what vehicles were eligible.  For example, the Pontiac Oakland Club has always considered to the current year. The then new and late model "hot" Trans Ams were visible in the Pontiac area.

The Chrysler area was represented by the WPC who also recognized vehicles to the current model year.  I was able to show my 1968 Satellite at only 12 years old.  The same could be said for the Mustang Club area, etc.  Also in those days, the Fescht committee alloted awards to the clubs based on attendance to be used as they wished.

Many years ago, the Plymouth Owners Club (model years '28 - '54) and the Mustang Club unintentionally failed to meet the deadline to resign for the following year and were absent for many years.  It had been the Plymouth Club's Fall Meet.  Yes, those Plymouths continued to be accepted by the WPC, but it wasn't the same.  

AT some point, the Fescht Committee determined the club day acceptance to be vehicles only to 25 years old and no modifieds permitted.  (as an aside, I am not a proponent of modified vehicles, so that was OK with me)  But effectively they told some clubs many of their member vehicles were not welcome.  A few clubs were given 2 years to conform.  Way to drive down club participation!  Lately it seems clubs in some cases are not even present, just a designated parker to continue some marques to be eligible.  The Edsel "club" area had dwindled, so they began hosting Lincoln Mercury as well, and the Edsel attendance continued to dwindle.

A few years ago, the VCCA Chevrolet  area was handed over to the Lehigh Valley Camaro Club.  I have nothing against Camaros, but this really changed the landscape of the Chevy area.  Mostly Camaros now, and virtually no traditional VCCA cars.  At least I didn't see many VCCA window decals on Stovebolt Chevies.

Maybe it's time to "invite" the clubs back to the Fescht, and let them determined who can be entered.