Das Awkscht Fescht Car Show at Macungie, Pa. 2015

cutlasguy

The entry fee is a small price to pay for showing my car. The joy I get out of spectators admiring my vehicle and the questions they ask is worth far more than what it costs me to register. I'm sure I'm not alone, because many other participants actually thank me for taking pictures of their cars on the way in! Am I jealous of the amount spectators pay to get in? Not in the slightest! I've already taken far more home from the shows I've entered than just a trophy!

Not speaking specifically about Macungie but the way car shows in general, and AACA shows in particular, are being financially managed is really starting to turn me off. It seems to me show organizers have decided that car owners are so starved for attention that they are seen as easy pickings. It's absurd that the talent (car owners) should be charged for providing entertainment for the audience, who in the case of AACA shows pay ZERO. The AACA compounds this upside down arrangement by coming up with schemes to further milk the car owners by charging ( gouging?) for what is a necessity for many owners, trailer parking. The oft cited reason is the expense of trophies. A far better solution for any fiscal problems would be to let the spectators pay for the trophies with a modest entrance fee.

In the last few years I have gravitated to concours type events doing two or three shows a year. The attitude towards the car owners is like night and day.

There is no entrance fee and a lite breakfast and very nice lunch is usually provided. The owners are truly appreciated and thanked for bringing their cars rather than being milked for bucks.

As an aside, the trophies are generally far nicer, the shows cover all expenses and have enough left over to make a very generous donation to a charity.

Surely other shows in general and AACA shows in particular could adopt some facets of this arrangement. .........Bob

• Like 1