Converting to a Rod

barry22

Guest AlCapone

Although many of us find it very distasteful there is nothing we can do about it. The problem is that once they are hacked there is no turning back. I am sure that in later life he will regret his decision. Wayne

He'll do his thing to this car, consider himself an artist, get bored with it in 18 months, sell it, and then butcher something else.

Sadly, that happens far too often. For many guys, the thrill is in the build itself, not the actual car. And privately, many guys who build the "usual" hot rod (350 Chevy, 350 transmission, Ford suspension) are disappointed with the results. The cars are never as fast or entertaining as they'd hoped and they still have all the bad habits of an old car like noise, heat, and leaky weather seals. Home-built rods rarely turn out the way the builders expect.

I'm flooded with trade requests on many of my cars, and 9 times out of 10 it's a garden-variety rod with garden-variety parts and amateur build quality. Never impressive and the sellers always know it, which is why they're trying to trade for one of my good cars.

Guest AlCapone
The current trend is to find a restored or otherwise rust free car to hotrod. Sad, but true.

I recently purchased a 29 Ford Pickup from a gentleman that claimed he turned down an offer of $2500 more because the buyer was going to Rod it. Some sellers do indeed have a conscience! Wayne

If you saw the ad, you would have noticed a cut down roadster in black primer behind the subject Model A.

This was the illustration for what Matt Hardwood said "9 times out of 10 it's a garden-variety rod with garden-variety parts and amateur build quality. Never impressive and the sellers always know it, which is why they're trying to trade for one of my good cars."

Does anyone know why the ad was deleted?

I like both hot rods and unaltered classic cars and presently own a couple examples of both. It bothers me very much to see a nice classic sliced and diced into a hot rod. On the other hand, if someone collects parts from various sources that are not worthy of a restoration project ... "rod" the hell out of 'em. I have a 1938 Chevy "survivor" which I'm leaving as original (unrestored) as possible while making it safe and reliable to drive.

Cheers,

Grog

Fortunately when I built mine I had a clear idea of how I wanted it to turn out and had even collected premium parts for years prior to building it. I read every rodding magazine published between 1948 and 1964 that I could buy at swap meets then found the cars as a gutted shell made from atleast 2 other bodies missing every part unique to a 32 Ford except the body shell with 2 doors and a trunk lid as well as a raw frame. I built it almost 20 years ago and have no desire to sell it. I like the way it looks and drives exactly as I would expect, a fast by old timey standards lumber wagon. I love it. Exactly what it would have been if I had built it 60 plus years ago. I even had one guy bug me for 5 or 6 years to buy it. I think I still see him once a year and he still wants it.

I know what you all mean though. The internet is filled with failed attempts at building a hot rod. Both completed and half butchered carcasses that make on just look and scratch their head. post-43003-143142962473_thumb.jpg

Im kinda stuck in the middle of this issue, I had a 1941 Oldsmobile coup, The bottom was rusted badly and the interior was completely shot because it had been left in a field for many years but the engine ran great. I drove the car for a couple years like it was until a gear shaft broke inside the transmission. I searched for a year for another transmission for it and never finding one for it. I ended up selling it to a guy who turned it into a street rod. The car was amazing. Was I wrong for let it go to a chop shop? Im not sure, I would had never been able to bring the car back to its original condition and the street rod shop made it into a amazing automobile. I feel that in this case the car was able to see the road again and was in absolutely amazing condition.

Guest AlCapone
HEAR, HEAR!! I have been called picky, but I agree. :D

Ben

Everybody knew what he meant. Why make him feel bad ? It is like correcting someone' s spelling. It only detracts from the site and adds nothing to the post. IMHO. Wayne

Fortunately when I built mine I had a clear idea of how I wanted it to turn out and had even collected premium parts for years prior to building it. I read every rodding magazine published between 1948 and 1964 that I could buy at swap meets then found the cars as a gutted shell made from atleast 2 other bodies missing every part unique to a 32 Ford except the body shell with 2 doors and a trunk lid as well as a raw frame. I built it almost 20 years ago and have no desire to sell it. I like the way it looks and drives exactly as I would expect, a fast by old timey standards lumber wagon. I love it. Exactly what it would have been if I had built it 60 plus years ago. I even had one guy bug me for 5 or 6 years to buy it. I think I still see him once a year and he still wants it.

I know what you all mean though. The internet is filled with failed attempts at building a hot rod. Both completed and half butchered carcasses that make on just look and scratch their head. [ATTACH=CONFIG]293982[/ATTACH]

The only thing wrong with your duce is that it is the wrong color, mine is blue. (same classic style) And yes it has an 57 orange engine BUT it has less than 10,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt.

I started building it in 1958 and I still have it. Every once in a while I register it and drive it for a year, then put the plates on another car to exercise it.

This thread begs the question, Has anyone ever heard of someone buying a hot rod and converting it back to original?

Don't tell me that it can't be done. A good craftsman can restore one if he wanted to. Only a person that can't do it, will say it can't be done, so why don't purists do it? Or better still, why don't they out bid the rodder in the sale?

The only thing wrong with your duce is that it is the wrong color, mine is blue. (same classic style) And yes it has an 57 orange engine BUT it has less than 10,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt.

I started building it in 1958 and I still have it. Every once in a while I register it and drive it for a year, then put the plates on another car to exercise it.

Mine has a 48 merc in it.

The pic was taken about 12 years ago when I first starting dating my wife. That's her in the photo. At that point she didn't know a thing or have ever ridden in an old car. Now she is my Hershey buddy.

It does have wire wheels.

I put about 2500 miles on it but haven't driven it in a couple of years. I ran it out of gas when I put it in my heated garage. I have to drain the 1 gallon or so of dead gas out of the tank, add some new gas and possibly a new battery but it should start right up.

I have to get it running this year. We are selling the house I've got it stored at so when it sells I vowed it would drive up to our new house as long as the salt is off the roads.

No hot buyers for that house anyways so I should not have a problem. I want to finish this garage first before I put any of my toys in it.

This thread begs the question, Has anyone ever heard of someone buying a hot rod and converting it back to original?

Don't tell me that it can't be done. A good craftsman can restore one if he wanted to. Only a person that can't do it, will say it can't be done, so why don't purists do it? Or better still, why don't they out bid the rodder in the sale?

It has been done!!! That also means when someone says a car was too far gone to restore so we turned it into a hot rod, is a statement full of baloney bologna. The conversion back takes more skill and resources and RESEARCH though.

A conversion back from a hot rod would be a perfect topic on this site, where as the other way around should be discussed on the HAMB or someplace else, after all that's why we are here at AACA's site.

Guest bkazmer

Everybody knew what he meant. Why make him feel bad ? It is like correcting someone' s spelling. It only detracts from the site and adds nothing to the post. IMHO. Wayne

But I don't think we've become so PC that one should be expected to apologize for being right. I have no issue with the occassional typo, but a failure to post in coherent English (if you are a native speaker) seems (IMHO) a disregard for the audience. I don't expect you to have to figure out if I mean "brake" or "break" from context.

It all comes down to taste, people can argue that a hot rodder killed a car, and personally I don't care for good cars becoming hot rods, but they have a place too. If someone makes a hot rod and gets a couple kids interested in old cars, then that alone is worth it's weight in gold. Hot Rodders I'm sure love there cars just as much as guys that keep them original. It's a hobby, and a good one!

post-97455-143142962948_thumb.png

No it's not a Hot Rod, but my 18 year old son loves it and I do too.

It has been done!!! That also means when someone says a car was too far gone to restore so we turned it into a hot rod, is a statement full of baloney bologna. The conversion back takes more skill and resources and RESEARCH though.

That is absolutely true, but the capitalized word should have been "resources" and not "research". Given ample re$ource$, almost anything is possible. One could stumble upon an old builder's plate in the dirt and "restore" a car around the builder's data plate. In the real world, most of us don't have the re$source$ to restore a vehicle based on a few pieces of sheet metal, which is why some cars are "rodded", some are "parted out" and others are "crushed". With that said, I still think that a classic vehicle should be either preserved or restored if at all possible.

Cheers,

Grog

I think insurance liability will kill them one day. I have seen extremely well built cars and complete junk. My insurance company all ready requires pictures of all 4 sides and the engine, they will not insure a modified car as a collector car. Luckily hot rods are still an extremely low percentage of cars on the road.

Yet, you can get insurance for a helicopter, something that should not even be able to fly.:confused:
\

Lately from the ads I have heard on the radio they will insure just about anything if you want to pay the premium. All the home warranties I have heard commercials for and car repair policies for hi mileage older cars. Call it a warranty but it's really just insurance. Look at all the celebrities who insure their personal assets. I'm not talking cars or homes either:rolleyes:

I think the car that the original poster was showing was the one in the latest Street Rodder magazine. It sure looks like it anyway.

It is listed in the Magazine under the feature "How to build a Street Rod in 3 Weeks" and describes how it is cheaper to buy a fully restored car and rod it rather than starting with old parts. Below is the On line version. ..........Sad!...........

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1411-taking-vintage-1931-ford-model-a-and-turning-it-into-modern-hot-rod/

I think insurance liability will kill them one day. I have seen extremely well built cars and complete junk. My insurance company all ready requires pictures of all 4 sides and the engine, they will not insure a modified car as a collector car. Luckily hot rods are still an extremely low percentage of cars on the road.

My antique auto insurance company has a policy/section for hot rods.