GAS KEEPS GETTING MORE AFFORDABLE

Marty Roth

Price was up a dime higher here today - just in time for me to drive the 7.3 turbo-diesel Excursion round-trip to Philly for the AACA Annual Meeting. Diesel is still ridiculously higher than 87-no-lead-ethanol.

Saw prices that varied from $1.87 to $2.29 today. The stations that jumped to 2.29 were 1.99 earlier this week.

What about OPEC and other countries that want to put it to Russia? Keeping the barrel price below $100 puts the screws on Russia. Politics at its best.

Guest AlCapone

Gasoline 2 weeks ago tonight in Port Huron Michigan wa $1.74. This evening it is $2.39. It's gone up 65 cents a gallon in 14 days. Wayne

"Let's say they just had a little vacation. "

Helfen, you must be retired, as I am. If I were working in the field and lost my job due to manipulated oil prices, it'd be hard to call it "just a little vacation"......

Prices will eventually get back up and should stabilize where they should be, around $100 a barrel. That's $3.50- $4.00 a gallon gas, still cheaper than in most of the world outside the US.....

I can't imagine high or low gas prices influencing how much you drive your antique car. It might influence whether you want to trailer a car to a show 1000 miles away, though....

I guess the concept of American (and Canadian) energy is lost on our President and his party. We need to get the pipeline built and continue to expand our natural gas infastructure so our great Country is never beholden to any foreign goverment for energy. Job creation that comes along with these efforts is just the icing on the cake. I heat my house with natural gas and there is no rational reason why I cannot drive a CNG car. Let's push these iniatives before we reach another trumped up crisis.

"Let's say they just had a little vacation. "

Helfen, you must be retired, as I am. If I were working in the field and lost my job due to manipulated oil prices, it'd be hard to call it "just a little vacation"......

Prices will eventually get back up and should stabilize where they should be, around $100 a barrel. That's $3.50- $4.00 a gallon gas, still cheaper than in most of the world outside the US.....

I can't imagine high or low gas prices influencing how much you drive your antique car. It might influence whether you want to trailer a car to a show 1000 miles away, though....

The only way you are going to get around that labor problem which happens in a free open market, be it the automotive, aerospace, dairy etc. would be to nationalize industry. Life, naturally is full of ups and downs, even squirrels gather nuts for the winter.

Well, I'd agree with you "in a free open market", but this situation is being manipulated by OPEC, clear as day. They are targeting American production and new technologies, one or both of which rely on fair oil prices to be sustained. Russia may be just crazy enough as a country to retaliate if prices stay down.

Meanwhile, now we can all drive our old cars more! I know a couple of mine get pretty bad mileage, but never worried about it too much.

What? The President doesn't have an on/off switch for everything?? I, for one, am shocked.....

So, has anyone ever NOT bought an antique car because of bad gas mileage for that particular car?

I do enjoy driving my 3/4 ton, big engine, Suburban a little more when I can fill the tank for $60 or so instead of getting into 3 digits....

I believe you are correct about finished product bulk oil, which is to my knowledge almost always in 55 Gallon drums. The big boys with ship-loads call 42 gallons a barrel, however.

• 3 weeks later...

Gas prices today went up 20 to 30 cents in one day in my area. I've read that oil prices actually went down. The reason gas prices are up is that steelworkers have gone on strike at around 12 refineries around the country. According to that we should expect prices to rise sharply over the next 3 or more weeks.

So, has anyone ever NOT bought an antique car because of bad gas mileage for that particular car?

NO, but I did give away a clean 1966 Dodge Hemi Coronet 500 with a spun rod for $360.00 during that last phony gas shortage in the late 70's. NOBODY wanted that car then.

Howard Dennis

NO, but I did give away a clean 1966 Dodge Hemi Coronet 500 with a spun rod for $360.00 during that last phony gas shortage in the late 70's. NOBODY wanted that car then.

Howard Dennis

Nope. I never took mileage into consideration for a car I wanted to have.

I would have taken your Coronet in 73. There were a lot of good deals then but my folks didn't think so, so I lost out big time.

• 2 weeks later...