reskinned riviera dash pad

dr914

On 1/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, RIVNIK said:

Boy! Some things you just can't un-see,& that shot of Mitchell is one of 'em. Thanksalot! Bernie. How 'bout a spoiler alert next time!

Rivnik, it is a universal law that when you are cool, good looking, and drive a Riviera it must come out. The cool factor is too high to be hidden.

Turbinator

On 1/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, RivNut said:

I'm just glad that neon tube phase has passed. Never did understand that one.

Ed, our friends were crackin’ On hard on the dashtop skins. Some of the dash covers maybe weak and not good looking at all. Poor fit , and down right not fitting for a proper Riviera. Well, after I finish this set of “ hubcaps” I’m polishing I’ll get that sorely disrespected DashTop product refitted and then we will have another look.

Turbinator

Showing up in your Riviera is a lot like this.

That song was popular in certain circles in 1964. In 1968 we stopped in Hong Kong for R&R. A whole street of tailor shops greeted up. Just sit down and look through the copies of GQ and other men's magazines. They'd make you whatever you pointed to. Pick it up the next day. How could I resist a verde green continental suit. Then, a few years later, I got the like vintage Riviera.

I wonder where that suit ended up. I remember the girl who got my wool, Navy watch sweater and why she got it, but not the suit.

"Warning. Spoiler alert below the song.

746344148_001(2).thumb.jpg.3e13a4e77b4f390f7053acb4a990c932.jpg

On 1/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Showing up in your Riviera is a lot like this.

That song was popular in certain circles in 1964. In 1968 we stopped in Hong Kong for R&R. A whole street of tailor shops greeted up. Just sit down and look through the copies of GQ and other men's magazines. They'd make you whatever you pointed to. Pick it up the next day. How could I resist a verde green continental suit. Then, a few years later, I got the like vintage Riviera.

I wonder where that suit ended up. I remember the girl who got my wool, Navy watch sweater and why she got it, but not the suit.

"Warning. Spoiler alert below the song.

746344148_001(2).thumb.jpg.3e13a4e77b4f390f7053acb4a990c932.jpg

Bernie, Some sailors and Marines I once knew would tell me stories of shore leave in the Far East. One of the standard comments was, “ How much that haircut cost you?”

Services provided other than tonsorial items were talked about quite a bit with my former military service friends.

Turbinator

I have some non-original plans for my '64 Riviera since I intend to keep it for my duration now. Over the years I have acquired two good dash covers. The one on the car now was dyed black in the early 1990's and looks good. It has a slight deformation in the molded part close to one door. It is not enough to warrant any work for me.

The other cover has a crack at the speaker housing. I plan to have a cut and French stitched leather cover made for that one. I like that look and think I can maintain the original contours. I have studied the pattern making process for such a cover and will probably try it myself. If it turns out bad I have an upholstery shop that I trust to do what I want in a timely manner. I am hoping the leather cover will come in under $400.

Bernie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I have some non-original plans for my '64 Riviera since I intend to keep it for my duration now. Over the years I have acquired two good dash covers. The one on the car now was dyed black in the early 1990's and looks good. It has a slight deformation in the molded part close to one door. It is not enough to warrant any work for me.

The other cover has a crack at the speaker housing. I plan to have a cut and French stitched leather cover made for that one. I like that look and think I can maintain the original contours. I have studied the pattern making process for such a cover and will probably try it myself. If it turns out bad I have an upholstery shop that I trust to do what I want in a timely manner. I am hoping the leather cover will come in under $400.

Bernie

Bernie, a leather cover and installed for under $400.00? Hopefully, your estimate serves you well. I was thinking around $650.00. I hope I’m wrong.

My home custom painted Dash To looks good. I had to revisit some fitting surfaces on the DashTop with some sanding and reattachment of the edges of the cover. Seems I overlooked some important areas that needed to be snugged. I use Loctite Ultra Control gel glue.The stuff holds better than any mastic I’ve used in the past. A little pricey at $4. For 4 grams(.14 fluid Oz). The price at $28.00 an ounce is a bargain for the utility you receive. I send a pic along after awhile I’m doing some electrical work under the dash for an accessory light and noise suppressor for the radio.

im also trudging on with the AC.

Turbinator

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, I finished installing my DashTop and I’m satisfied with fit and finish. I removed the original cover and smoothed out the foam rubber on the dash with silicon.

i had the paint matched and got the kind of paint you apply to plastic. I then put a coat of satin polyurethane over the paint.

So no, the cover does not appear like I used a red magic marker to apply the paint.I used Preval they have an aerosol can with jar where you put your paint. Just spray it on.

Here are some pics.

Turbinator

D3B9CBA7-4BF4-4E19-9B7C-893107B42046.jpeg

B1601628-AD99-4FAE-877C-8D23DCDC83B6.jpeg

75CCEBC5-343F-4443-A0A3-ECD964D87B0E.jpeg

6D4C3284-7D05-4DE5-81E6-F34CC3817B4E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed, thank you. I believe the dash will look good for a long time. The car is garaged all the time. 

The paint was about $50.00 and the DashTop was $250.00 with delivery. The painting and fitment took more time than I figured. The extra time in shoring up the foam rubber was worth the effort.Taking Off the original skin AND gluing the DashTop down on the foam/silicon top worked out to appear the same thickness as the original. Overall I’m completely satisfied with the outcome.  Thank you for your positive comment.

Turbinator

Looks AMAZING!! Thx for sharing. 

I have been working on my gauge cluster & glovebox plastic surrounds. I also have the dash “cap” on my dash. I never completely install the dash cap. I’m glad I didn’t cuz I see what u mean about the “extra” thickness. This extra thickness covers most of the gauge cluster & glovebox chrome strips. 

Here is a pic u posted of your dash prep in another thread. U described the product u used as DAP “sponge like silicone”…can u help me understand what that is please? In this pic I can see the tip of what looks like a caulking gun. Is that what u used?

Thx in advance 

B33E04DD-4FD5-4A4D-B957-3E41F2DFCF24.jpeg.11b87e6333a465736014e0c5bffb6c12.jpeg

5 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I have been working on my gauge cluster & glovebox plastic surrounds. I also have the dash “cap” on my dash. I never completely install the dash cap. I’m glad I didn’t cuz I see what u mean about the “extra” thickness. This extra thickness covers most of the gauge cluster & glovebox chrome strips. 

Here is a pic u posted of your dash prep in another thread. U described the product u used as DAP “sponge like silicone”…can u help me understand what that is please? In this pic I can see the tip of what looks like a caulking gun. Is that what u used?

Thx in advance 

Sounds like bathtub caulk

Tom

5 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Thx in advance 

My thin original cover was so dry it cracked like a hard boiled egg shell when I punched the cover. Peel the pieces off with your fingers. The DAP CLEAR Quick Seal Ultra has a sponge like feel when it dries. Feels like foam without the bulk. Squeeze it on and skim it close to the foam rubber you have left.

The clear dried white, don’t know why. Take off the trim on your A pillar so you can get the dash in and out without scraping it up. Watch the FRONT edges you can them to match up. I glued the front edge down theN gently clamped the edges. WATCH how you drill your holes on the underside. Be careful how you place the holes.

Now I painted mine and it was a challenge. The plastic needs to lightly sanded then primed with plastic paint primer. Let the paint dry for a couple days or longer. I put satin clear coat after the paint job was finished. I took my time, corrected mistakes and I dare say I’m totally satisfied with the finish and vintage look. The DashTop looks like it belongs as opposed to a half baked aftermarket product.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Sounds like bathtub caulk

Tom

Tom, it is caulk use it for bathtub, etc. One gent said my dash looked like a frosted cake! I’m for using whatever material completes a job requirement. I offered a JB Weld solution for rust repair for 63 wire wheel cover on the forum and was noted for my depression era thinking. I was humored as the JB Weld has still held the wheelcover together. I throw enough $ away trying to get most things 100%, when I can substitute and save and it works then why not?

Thank You

Turbinator

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/4/2013 at 10:06 AM, dr914 said:

This is a reskinned dash just like the ones that Just Dashes does, not a silly plastic cover not a sewn vinyl cover, not abs plastic that covers the old cracked stuff!!!!

George, you’d be surprised how well the DashTop is fitted to an original dash. I took my time and figured out how get the Dash Topto go on. Here is a pic of my DashTop on my dash. I was able to paint the vinyl Dash Top with success. My next effort is to cover an original dash pad with material. In the meantime here is a pic of my finished product.

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

George, you’d be surprised how well the DashTop is fitted to an original dash. I took my time and figured out how get the Dash Topto go on. Here is a pic of my DashTop on my dash. I was able to paint the vinyl Dash Top with success. My next effort is to cover an original dash pad with material. In the meantime here is a pic of my finished product.

yes would like to see it, however, these cars are becoming valuable enough to put the best parts one can buy in the cars, hence the most original dash one could find. Tom had a perfect used one for me that I installed, but just dashes does a really great job rebuilding the old originals

10 hours ago, dr914 said:

yes would like to see it, however, these cars are becoming valuable enough to put the best parts one can buy in the cars, hence the most original dash one could find. Tom had a perfect used one for me that I installed, but just dashes does a really great job rebuilding the old originals

George, you are right about the jobJustDashes does. I saw Seafoam65  dash a few times and Just Dashes is first class job. I was not happy with the way I was “ handled” by JustDashes when I made an inquiry. When a company is arrogant Im not inclined to do business at their place. I’d heard Just Dashes were about $1100.00 

The DashTop is surprising if you take off the original skin from the board. There is too much bulk if you don’t take off the old skin. Now I had paint mixed to match and it took awhile to get the finish right on the Dash. I’m happy. 

I enjoyed doing the job myself. Somethings I can do on the car and other things I’m not so experienced.

Trust me were the Dash I covered with a plastic shell rough/ragged or cheap looking I would not hesitate to find another solution. I had the leather option in the car when I bought the car. I had Clark’s   Red leather upholstery, door panels weather stripping, window sweeps, carpet installed at one time. I don’t work for DashTop or have any interest in promoting their product. My opinion is their are better options then doing business with JustDashes. Matter of fact I’ve recovered some dashes for ROA members and they have been happy with my work at half the price of JustDashes.

081994FA-B66D-469A-95E4-33A643EDEA31.thumb.jpeg.65ee1a0d4ddb5dc915e37aefaa38f47a.jpeg19EEB8E9-7225-400D-B636-638862DF36DA.thumb.jpeg.76f7d0f4c217c585481885217885f872.jpeg

1A0C9F3A-FF6A-4EA1-9ACB-6F225EEB58F2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2014 at 10:13 AM, petelempert said:

B-I can relate to the role of mortality in choice of parts, non original replacement parts etc. I'm a little younger than you, but lately I find myself looking at everything I do on my cars and in my life and thinking "How's this gonna look in 20 years?". It's all about twenty years really. Here's another way of thinking about it: Everybody says once you re-cover your dash pad with vinyl, it's a countdown until the bubbles show up again. In twenty years it'll look like bubble wrap. The Just Dashes option seems grotesquely overpriced. In twenty years, that $1K investment will be have compounded to be worth almost $5K even at modest interest rates. Right now, the Dash Top I put on my car looks great and was priced right. It twenty years, I'm thinking it will still look great, nobody will be alive at that time who will notice it's not stock and I'll have $5K for beer and cigars. If I'm still alive. I'm planning on it. Just a thought. PRL

Sir, in 20 years or more your dash pad and your car will look great. I installed the plastic DashTop in my 63 and I’m delighted. I took the original skin and got the old foam rubber nice and smooth. Had the paint matched at a paint store that mixes car paint. Primed the new DasHTop and it looks good. Twenty years from now I’m sure how the plastic DashTop will look as I’ve been long gone.

For fun I’m going to reupholster an original 63 dash pad to see how it will turn out. I’ll post the new pad when I finish the job.

Thank you

Turbinator

Bob........my perfect dash pad is original to my car, it is NOT a Just Dashes restoration, but if it ever does crack, that is where

it will be going.....their work is fantastic. They have done several dash pads for me on my other cars, and I smile every time I look

at my restored dash pads when I'm driving my cars. This is their restoration of my 69 GTO dash.......it looks 100 percent correct and actually looks

better than my original dash looked  when it was three years old. One reason their work looks so good is they use a thicker vinyl than GM did, also

the quality of the foam filler is better than GM. This is my twenty year old restored dash in my GTO...still looks magnificent.........DSCN0264.thumb.JPG.75f498ed43dd8b5b35b4067ee5ad40a3.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

For a dash with different contours and cutouts for instruments, Just for Dashes is probably the way to go. But for a simple simple slab like on the first generation Riviera a well prepped topper or a recovered dash is a good idea - if it's something other than a trailer queen which only comes out on show day and you fear that every guy in the crowd will know of your faux pas.  

23 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Bob........my perfect dash pad is original to my car, it is NOT a Just Dashes restoration, but if it ever does crack, that is where

it will be going.....their work is fantastic. They have done several dash pads for me on my other cars, and I smile every time I look

at my restored dash pads when I'm driving my cars. This is their restoration of my 69 GTO dash.......it looks 100 percent correct and actually looks

better than my original dash looked  when it was three years old. One reason their work looks so good is they use a thicker vinyl than GM did, also

the quality of the foam filler is better than GM. This is my twenty year old restored dash in my GTO...still looks magnificent.........DSCN0264.thumb.JPG.75f498ed43dd8b5b35b4067ee5ad40a3.JPG

Winston, if you’ll remember I saw your “ The Judge” and your 65 Riv in Plano. Both vehicles are outstanding and I will say you go first class restorations. Sometimes I get the bug I can “ do this” myself. I’m not been trained as an automobile mechanic. I try to do all I can with AC included.

The real truth is zJust Dashes burned me up when I called their office. Like a regular hard head I crossed them off. That is how I ended up with the plastic DashTop. Had the DadhTop cover been the least bit cheesy I would tried another approach. So far so good.

Turbinator

2 hours ago, anestech* said:

Any first hand experience with the dash pads from OPGI?  Under $500...

Sir, by first hand telephone conversation with a gent from Washington state had a devil of a time getting a dashboard problem straightened out with OPGI. I’ve never purchased anything from OPGI. I’ve recovered a number of dashes myself including my own with a Dash Top. ( I have no stock in DashbTop) The product worked for me, BUT, you’ve got to remove the original vinyl from your dashboard. Otherwise it would be too thick with the old vinyl and new DashTop. It’s like wearing two pair of socks.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

anestech,

Hi to all.  I have just received a OPG original style dash pad for my 64 Riv.  It comes just like the original with the diagonal hold down brackets attached.  It does not have the holes punched in the front, that is for the buyer to do.  The grain of the vinyl is a tad coarser than my original, but my original is pretty old too.  I have the GuideMatic and on the underside they have impressions for where to drill the holes in the new dash and the impressions do match my original.  My only concern is the color.  My original is dark brown, they did not offer a dark brown, but did have a saddle color.  Not knowing what shade the saddle was I ordered the saddle.  I should have mentioned my interior is saddle. 

Now my question for all you Riviera experts out there, did all 64 Riviera with saddle interior have dark brown dashes?  The package tray matches the dash too.

I will no doubt dye it to the darker brown to match the rear tray, but in the saddle it does look good.  Just a thought, being lighter in color may not get as hot as a dark color, but then I would need to replace the rear tray or dye it to match the saddle dash.  Nothing is easy!  Haha!

One last thing I have not tried the fit yet, which I will do today.  I will update everyone on the fit.

Art

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

anestech,

Hi to all.  I have just received a OPG original style dash pad for my 64 Riv.  It comes just like the original with the diagonal hold down brackets attached.  It does not have the holes punched in the front, that is for the buyer to do.  The grain of the vinyl is a tad coarser than my original, but my original is pretty old too.  I have the GuideMatic and on the underside they have impressions for where to drill the holes in the new dash and the impressions do match my original.  My only concern is the color.  My original is dark brown, they did not offer a dark brown, but did have a saddle color.  Not knowing what shade the saddle was I ordered the saddle.  I should have mentioned my interior is saddle. 

Now my question for all you Riviera experts out there, did all 64 Riviera with saddle interior have dark brown dashes?  The package tray matches the dash too.

I will no doubt dye it to the darker brown to match the rear tray, but in the saddle it does look good.  Just a thought, being lighter in color may not get as hot as a dark color, but then I would need to replace the rear tray or dye it to match the saddle dash.  Nothing is easy!  Haha!

One last thing I have not tried the fit yet, which I will do today.  I will update everyone on the fit.

Art

Hi Art,

I know that you have a 1964. The 1963 color trim book says that the saddle interior had a dark saddle upper instrument panel which I assume is the dash pad, medium saddle carpet, a saddle steering wheel and a light sandalwood headliner. I can't see them varying much from 63 to 64. I hope this helps.

Bill

Riviera63,

Thanks a bunch.  You are probably correct that 63 to 64 maybe the same.  I guess I need to find a 64 color trim book, but  I guess I really already have my answer in front of me with the original dash being dark saddle.

And the dash seem to fit fine, need to drill the holes still.

Art

If dash pads are not a dark shade, they are reflected in the windshield and make it hard for the driver 

to see where he is going, thus all lighter colored interiors have a dash pad in a dark shade. Please post a pic of the OPGI dash pad installed, and a close up of the grain on the dash pad. Sounds like this could be a great alternative. How much money for the OPGI pad?

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Seafoam65,

Here is the dash pictures.  Texture is a tad coarser than my original and lighter in color, but darker than the saddle seats.  I will probably dye it to the darker color.  It look to me to be a very close match, even the underside metal stamping appears to match.  I have only partially installed it, but seem to fit.  I will say this, having an original recovered the re-install would or should be easier than working with and new dash.  I have to drill the holes in the front and the holes for the Guidematic.  I do not have the same choices as the rest of you. I can use this or I go to Just Dashes.  This from OPGI was $485.

Art

20191116_151045_resized.thumb.jpg.7dd7f526b5486ee6ef56d2838846a2b8.jpg20191116_151021_resized.thumb.jpg.30d127ebfe8170261a8b0b89d7ea8b78.jpg

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 6:50 PM, Seafoam65 said:

If dash pads are not a dark shade, they are reflected in the windshield and make it hard for the driver 

to see where he is going, thus all lighter colored interiors have a dash pad in a dark shade. Please post a pic of the OPGI dash pad installed, and a close up of the grain on the dash pad. Sounds like this could be a great alternative. How much money for the OPGI pad?

Winston, tech question on dash pad color. I happen to have a beautiful silver reupholstered dash pad done by hand. Now, the silver dash pad came from a 64 Riv with Silver interior. The silver dash pad is light by its nature. I’ll get a pic to you of the dash pad. My curiosity has me wondering if the silver dash pad would be reflective.

Turbinator

45B0CF89-96B0-4595-A20C-55BA8D6787D2.jpeg

7CEC060C-096E-4FA3-BE7C-62C1C99EFD16.jpeg

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Winston, tech question on dash pad color. I happen to have a beautiful silver reupholstered dash pad done by hand. Now, the silver dash pad came from a 64 Riv with Silver interior. The silver dash pad is light by its nature. I’ll get a pic to you of the dash pad. My curiosity has me wondering if the silver dash pad would be reflective.

Turbinator

45B0CF89-96B0-4595-A20C-55BA8D6787D2.jpeg

7CEC060C-096E-4FA3-BE7C-62C1C99EFD16.jpeg

That looks like a `63 dash pad?

Tom

Hi All,

Is 64 and 65 the same dash pad?  I was told that 65 had a dark saddle dash pad.  My 64 dash pad is a dark brown (saddle?).   Where is is all this info on what is correct.  Do the judges at a Riviera meet have all this info and where are they getting it.

Thanks,

Art 

Judging at ROA meets is not done by judges or a panel.  It's a peer judged event.  Every registrant gets to vote for one car in each class.  (Your wife is a registrant so she gets a vote as well.) Not too many members know the subtleties of each generation so chances of knowing which color dash goes with a certain color interior are nil.  At each meet, you'll find a number of 63 and 64s with rally wheels which are registered as "stock" and people will cast votes for them not knowing the wheels are wrong.  You have nothing to worry about. Paint it the color that looks best in you opinion.