dr914

reskinned riviera dash pad

On 2/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I have some non-original plans for my '64 Riviera since I intend to keep it for my duration now. Over the years I have acquired two good dash covers. The one on the car now was dyed black in the early 1990's and looks good. It has a slight deformation in the molded part close to one door. It is not enough to warrant any work for me.

The other cover has a crack at the speaker housing. I plan to have a cut and French stitched leather cover made for that one. I like that look and think I can maintain the original contours. I have studied the pattern making process for such a cover and will probably try it myself. If it turns out bad I have an upholstery shop that I trust to do what I want in a timely manner. I am hoping the leather cover will come in under $400.

Bernie

Bernie, a leather cover and installed for under $400.00? Hopefully, your estimate serves you well. I was thinking around $650.00. I hope I’m wrong.

My home custom painted Dash To looks good. I had to revisit some fitting surfaces on the DashTop with some sanding and reattachment of the edges of the cover. Seems I overlooked some important areas that needed to be snugged. I use Loctite Ultra Control gel glue.The stuff holds better than any mastic I’ve used in the past. A little pricey at $4. For 4 grams(.14 fluid Oz). The price at $28.00 an ounce is a bargain for the utility you receive. I send a pic along after awhile I’m doing some electrical work under the dash for an accessory light and noise suppressor for the radio.

im also trudging on with the AC.

Turbinator

Gents, I finished installing my DashTop and I’m satisfied with fit and finish. I removed the original cover and smoothed out the foam rubber on the dash with silicon.

i had the paint matched and got the kind of paint you apply to plastic. I then put a coat of satin polyurethane over the paint.

So no, the cover does not appear like I used a red magic marker to apply the paint.I used Preval they have an aerosol can with jar where you put your paint. Just spray it on.

Here are some pics.

Turbinator

D3B9CBA7-4BF4-4E19-9B7C-893107B42046.jpeg

B1601628-AD99-4FAE-877C-8D23DCDC83B6.jpeg

75CCEBC5-343F-4443-A0A3-ECD964D87B0E.jpeg

6D4C3284-7D05-4DE5-81E6-F34CC3817B4E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Job Bob.  👍

Ed, thank you. I believe the dash will look good for a long time. The car is garaged all the time. 

The paint was about $50.00 and the DashTop was $250.00 with delivery. The painting and fitment took more time than I figured. The extra time in shoring up the foam rubber was worth the effort.Taking Off the original skin AND gluing the DashTop down on the foam/silicon top worked out to appear the same thickness as the original. Overall I’m completely satisfied with the outcome.  Thank you for your positive comment.

Turbinator

Looks AMAZING!! Thx for sharing. 

I have been working on my gauge cluster & glovebox plastic surrounds. I also have the dash “cap” on my dash. I never completely install the dash cap. I’m glad I didn’t cuz I see what u mean about the “extra” thickness. This extra thickness covers most of the gauge cluster & glovebox chrome strips. 

Here is a pic u posted of your dash prep in another thread. U described the product u used as DAP “sponge like silicone”…can u help me understand what that is please? In this pic I can see the tip of what looks like a caulking gun. Is that what u used?

Thx in advance 

B33E04DD-4FD5-4A4D-B957-3E41F2DFCF24.jpeg.11b87e6333a465736014e0c5bffb6c12.jpeg

5 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I have been working on my gauge cluster & glovebox plastic surrounds. I also have the dash “cap” on my dash. I never completely install the dash cap. I’m glad I didn’t cuz I see what u mean about the “extra” thickness. This extra thickness covers most of the gauge cluster & glovebox chrome strips. 

Here is a pic u posted of your dash prep in another thread. U described the product u used as DAP “sponge like silicone”…can u help me understand what that is please? In this pic I can see the tip of what looks like a caulking gun. Is that what u used?

Thx in advance 

Sounds like bathtub caulk

Tom

5 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Thx in advance 

My thin original cover was so dry it cracked like a hard boiled egg shell when I punched the cover. Peel the pieces off with your fingers. The DAP CLEAR Quick Seal Ultra has a sponge like feel when it dries. Feels like foam without the bulk. Squeeze it on and skim it close to the foam rubber you have left.

The clear dried white, don’t know why. Take off the trim on your A pillar so you can get the dash in and out without scraping it up. Watch the FRONT edges you can them to match up. I glued the front edge down theN gently clamped the edges. WATCH how you drill your holes on the underside. Be careful how you place the holes.

Now I painted mine and it was a challenge. The plastic needs to lightly sanded then primed with plastic paint primer. Let the paint dry for a couple days or longer. I put satin clear coat after the paint job was finished. I took my time, corrected mistakes and I dare say I’m totally satisfied with the finish and vintage look. The DashTop looks like it belongs as opposed to a half baked aftermarket product.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Sounds like bathtub caulk

Tom

Tom, it is caulk use it for bathtub, etc. One gent said my dash looked like a frosted cake! I’m for using whatever material completes a job requirement. I offered a JB Weld solution for rust repair for 63 wire wheel cover on the forum and was noted for my depression era thinking. I was humored as the JB Weld has still held the wheelcover together. I throw enough $ away trying to get most things 100%, when I can substitute and save and it works then why not?

Thank You

Turbinator

• Like 1

On 12/4/2013 at 10:06 AM, dr914 said:

This is a reskinned dash just like the ones that Just Dashes does, not a silly plastic cover not a sewn vinyl cover, not abs plastic that covers the old cracked stuff!!!!

George, you’d be surprised how well the DashTop is fitted to an original dash. I took my time and figured out how get the Dash Topto go on. Here is a pic of my DashTop on my dash. I was able to paint the vinyl Dash Top with success. My next effort is to cover an original dash pad with material. In the meantime here is a pic of my finished product.

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

George, you’d be surprised how well the DashTop is fitted to an original dash. I took my time and figured out how get the Dash Topto go on. Here is a pic of my DashTop on my dash. I was able to paint the vinyl Dash Top with success. My next effort is to cover an original dash pad with material. In the meantime here is a pic of my finished product.

yes would like to see it, however, these cars are becoming valuable enough to put the best parts one can buy in the cars, hence the most original dash one could find. Tom had a perfect used one for me that I installed, but just dashes does a really great job rebuilding the old originals

10 hours ago, dr914 said:

yes would like to see it, however, these cars are becoming valuable enough to put the best parts one can buy in the cars, hence the most original dash one could find. Tom had a perfect used one for me that I installed, but just dashes does a really great job rebuilding the old originals

George, you are right about the jobJustDashes does. I saw Seafoam65  dash a few times and Just Dashes is first class job. I was not happy with the way I was “ handled” by JustDashes when I made an inquiry. When a company is arrogant Im not inclined to do business at their place. I’d heard Just Dashes were about $1100.00 

The DashTop is surprising if you take off the original skin from the board. There is too much bulk if you don’t take off the old skin. Now I had paint mixed to match and it took awhile to get the finish right on the Dash. I’m happy. 

I enjoyed doing the job myself. Somethings I can do on the car and other things I’m not so experienced.

Trust me were the Dash I covered with a plastic shell rough/ragged or cheap looking I would not hesitate to find another solution. I had the leather option in the car when I bought the car. I had Clark’s   Red leather upholstery, door panels weather stripping, window sweeps, carpet installed at one time. I don’t work for DashTop or have any interest in promoting their product. My opinion is their are better options then doing business with JustDashes. Matter of fact I’ve recovered some dashes for ROA members and they have been happy with my work at half the price of JustDashes.

081994FA-B66D-469A-95E4-33A643EDEA31.thumb.jpeg.65ee1a0d4ddb5dc915e37aefaa38f47a.jpeg19EEB8E9-7225-400D-B636-638862DF36DA.thumb.jpeg.76f7d0f4c217c585481885217885f872.jpeg

1A0C9F3A-FF6A-4EA1-9ACB-6F225EEB58F2.jpeg

• Like 1