reskinned riviera dash pad

dr914

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Judging at ROA meets is not done by judges or a panel.  It's a peer judged event.  Every registrant gets to vote for one car in each class.  (Your wife is a registrant so she gets a vote as well.) Not too many members know the subtleties of each generation so chances of knowing which color dash goes with a certain color interior are nil.  At each meet, you'll find a number of 63 and 64s with rally wheels which are registered as "stock" and people will cast votes for them not knowing the wheels are wrong.  You have nothing to worry about. Paint it the color that looks best in you opinion.

Nil? There are some members of the ROA I’ve met ( including you) I believe to be expert on the finer points of accurate restoration. It is my opinion if you know the answer to a question then answer to the best of your ability. Let the person asking the question proceed with accurate information. Not to worry what others not in the know do with their car. I’m lucky in liking everything original on my 63 Riviera. I try hard to keep the car as original as I think it can be. I do change the wheels up once in awhile. The change in wheel appearance are my original efforts knowing the wheel is not stock. Since the ROA meet is peer judged bring your Riviera any way you like.

” It’s your thing for what you wanna do.” 
Turbinator

Rivnut,

I really appreciate the answers to my questions on authenticity.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on all stuff related to Authenticity.  So the judging is not terribly serious if I ever decide to attend a ROA event.  Not like on corvettes.😀 Nothing against the corvettes.

So is a 64 dash pad the same physically as a 65?  I'm asking because I got a 64 pad from OPGI ( I know, I know, but choices are limited).  Nice pad, not what I think is the correct color (saddle), but it had a small defect, so they are sending me a replacement.  Come to find out they have a dark saddle pad, but they tell me it for a 65.  So that is why the question.  I thought the 64 and 65 were the same, but because I really cannot say I spent much time looking at a 65, I don't know for sure.

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

20 hours ago, awk409ak said:

I really appreciate the answers to my questions on authenticity.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on all stuff related to Authenticity.  So the judging is not terribly serious if I ever decide to attend a ROA event.  Not like on corvettes.😀 Nothing against the corvettes.

Ah, yes, Corvette judging. The combination of production numbers, vast knowledge, and various levels of insanity. I could tell you stories …

… what RivNut says about ROA judging is true. There is more formal judging that a Riviera could be … subjected … to (AACA, BCA, etc.). There are also reasons to chase authenticity other than how well a car will judge.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Bob........my perfect dash pad is original to my car, it is NOT a Just Dashes restoration, but if it ever does crack, that is where

it will be going.....their work is fantastic. They have done several dash pads for me on my other cars, and I smile every time I look

at my restored dash pads when I'm driving my cars. This is their restoration of my 69 GTO dash.......it looks 100 percent correct and actually looks

better than my original dash looked  when it was three years old. One reason their work looks so good is they use a thicker vinyl than GM did, also

the quality of the foam filler is better than GM. This is my twenty year old restored dash in my GTO...still looks magnificent.........DSCN0264.thumb.JPG.75f498ed43dd8b5b35b4067ee5ad40a3.JPG

Winston, hand upholstered silver with Seville pattern. Original dash pad and I kept the insulation. Honestly, I can compare with Just Dashes  because I’ve never seen one. I think this job would compare favorably with many reupholstered jobs.

11A7D98B-E2C9-4A42-AEAD-EE0008952F05.jpeg

632C6BEE-FB87-4326-8B73-CA2DABD4267E.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator
Error (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2013 at 12:34 AM, RockinRiviDad said:

My dash is thrashed…not ready for that stage of the build but is that what it cost to get one done…$650????

Regards,

David

Rockin’ Dave, here is one done by hand. I know you’ve solved your problem, but check this one out.

B8ACDDFA-C2E5-479D-8C68-069A3DF7FA52.jpeg

95519B1A-858B-4CDD-AA38-CC1EFB56FC73.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Super nice work Bob

I didn’t even think about trying to cover one by hand 

David, Thank you for the compliment.  Some things I can do on the car OK, like detail work. Mechanical things I can reach ok I'm fair. Mechanical and electrical things I can't reach is hard. It's hard because I can't figure out how to get the tool where they are suppose to be. On the passenger side hood hinge is a bolt underneath holding the mechanism on. It took a l o n g time for me to get a socket and ratchet on that bolt to remove. I"m powder coating all I can in the engine bay and all I can that bolts on the engine. The engine is out for rebuilding so I might as well do it Powder coating is easy once you learn the combination of media blasting and cleaning the metal with the right chemicals. Stay well, and thanks for the compliment.

Turbinator

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, RivNut said:

If you check their prices for other compound dashes, this $$ seems in line.  Not cheap, but at least they're consistent,

The first gen zRiviera dashes take a measurable amount of work to remove the old cover. Doable, but a little on the nasty side. Getting the foam base is another trick, then stretching the vinyl can be tedious. If it was easy I wouldn’t like it. 

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

As compound as these 3rd generation Riviera dash boards are, Just Dashes may be your only choice other than finding an original that's in good shape (but still old and probably waiting to crack.) I would have a clue as to how to go about trying to recover one. I've done a few 1st Gen dashes, but they're more like an ironing board compared to the 3rd Gen. Perhaps someone has plans for building a DIY vacuum table.

48888394229559589befe58d2874af36.jpg.2a09cf006f43495f6e7075c01a3a346d.jpg 

I have memories from my youth. One is about one of the local car salesmen who owned a '57 Chevy in the 1970's. He was blowing about the cost of a new convertible top for his car. During a calm moment I asked "What's a car like that worth?". He puffed right up and let me know the top value and that he didn't think it was anything an average person could own.

With Riviera's, worth considering a dash, nestling around the $35,000 to $45,000 price range it is not that far out of range for a legal, tax paying business to charge.

Maybe I see too much in the cost of doing business. Would anyone venture what a price next to a picture in a Just Dashes catalog would be that they thought was good?

Last time I asked a question like that the answer was "Well, I'd like it for nuthin'". All that did was make me jerk their chain a couple more times.