Too Weird Problem with wiring

lrlforfun

OK Buick People: I have several Buicks most with Nailhead engines. I have a very common problem with these and I thought one might be able to help me out with a theory (no comedy please). The problem is this. Rodents are eating one wire in particular. It's the wire going from the points through the bottom of the distributor to the coil. This has happened at least 10 times on 10 different cars.

There are lots of wires throughout the engine bay. Why THIS particular one??? And....10 times with 10 different cars? The batteries are out and most of these cars are only started on occasion ANY THEORIES? Mitch

Its because its in the most convenient cozy place for them to sit there, relax and chew. I've also often seen the wire to the temp sending unit chewed as well. Same for the wiring on rad support for lighting where it exits the harness wrapping. While they are known to chew through the harness wrap, thats much less enticing than a single wire.

If the wire is going, as you say, directly from the points through a grommet to the coil than the wire in most cases would be made from very fine strands and insulated with cloth rather than plastic. This is to allow it to be very flexible. If it is cloth insulated that's what mice love for nesting material...............Bob

Replace the wire with a stranded, shielded #14 wire. Remove the shield from the end of the wire close to the distributor. Connect the other end end of the shield to a positive terminal that is always powered.

Eat a peanut butter sandwich while installing it.

Guaranteed no comedy.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

If the wire is going, as you say, directly from the points through a grommet to the coil than the wire in most cases would be made from very fine strands and insulated with cloth rather than plastic. This is to allow it to be very flexible. If it is cloth insulated that's what mice love for nesting material...............Bob

Bob, I think what you are referring to is the resistor wire, which takes the place of the ballast resistor in the late 60's/early 70's cars. That wire runs from the ignition switch to the coil. It sounds like this is the black wire that runs from the - side of the coil to the points on the distributor. The other wire mentioned runs to the + side of the coil.

That was my first thought as well, but the wire Mitch describes is routed differently.

• 2 years later...

OK Buick People: It happened again. I went to start a 64 Riv. No spark. Those pesky rodents  got me again. It;s that EXACT same wire from the points through the hole in the bottom of the distributor to the coil. I fixed it haphazardly and did get it going.  Mitch

Yeah Mr. Earl. And a super heavy duty shop vac to get did of the hair everywhere. :lol: Never mind the cost of Cat Food and Vet bills. But at least his wires will be safe. ;) Dandy Dave!  

33 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Here is what I put around the cars and garage, especially in the winter.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-with-bromethalin-5-lb-pail?cm_vc=-10005

Please stay away from Bromethalin rodenticides!  When ingested by pets there is no antidote or treatment like with the traditional anticoagulant products ( still available:  d-con brand ).  Convulsions are not pretty.

If you spay and neuter the cats they will not spray.  If destitute, not just 'frugal' there are free or reduced cost services available.  The cars should not be accessible by strays.

Agree on the Bromethalin. In fact I was putting some in all my cars one day when I just happened to notice our little Border Collie chewing on something. She had found some on the side of the seat on one of the cars I had not closed the door on yet and was eating it. (to make matters worse, the makers of the product make it tasty to pets as well as to mice) I immediately tried to clear it out of her mouth but not being sure I got it all took her to vet and as you say was advised there was no antidote. We brought her home and did the charcoal thing and she survived but I think it was because I was able to get most of it out of her mouth. Had I not seen her chewing it I am sure she would not still be with us (at age 16).

Re: spayed cats not spraying, tell that to Rita. All our pets are neutered and spayed and one cat definitely sprays on wheels, furniture, baseboards or wherever she thinks she needs to mark. So did our vet miss something maybe?:o:angry:

7 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Agree on the Bromethalin. In fact I was putting some in all my cars one day when I just happened to notice our little Border Collie chewing on something. She had found some on the side of the seat on one of the cars I had not closed the door on yet and was eating it. (to make matters worse, the makers of the product make it tasty to pets as well as to mice) I immediately tried to clear it out of her mouth but not being sure I got it all took her to vet and as you say was advised there was no antidote. We brought her home and did the charcoal thing and she survived but I think it was because I was able to get most of it out of her mouth. Had I not seen her chewing it I am sure she would not still be with us (at age 16).

Re: spayed cats not spraying, tell that to Rita. All our pets are neutered and spayed and one cat definitely sprays on wheels, furniture, baseboards or wherever she thinks she needs to mark. So did our vet miss something maybe?:o:angry:

Get that cat checked.  May be a bladder infection.  Some cats spray when insecure and cannot live in a house full of other pets.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'm fixed and I still spray everywhere but only when I'm outside.......................Bob

LOL... Oh them Pole Dancin girls only lead to trouble. ;) Dandy Dave!  

Recently someone suggested ground red hot pepper to deter rodents.  I buy it in the large containers at the grocery store, and spread it liberally around my house foundation and outside the garage doors.  I also put some in our wood pile, and I can tell you this stuff works on chipmunks at least.  Of course it does not last forever in the outdoors.  It seems to last about two weeks as a deterrent and then is biodegradable.  But a few applications around the area and the rodents seem to have forged themselves new feeding grounds.

I would say it's easy enough to toss some on the engine block back by the distributor.  May also help to coat the wire in question with some texas pete hot sauce.  It may not stop em but it will sure clear their sinus.  

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Recently someone suggested ground red hot pepper to deter rodents.  I buy it in the large containers at the grocery store, and spread it liberally around my house foundation and outside the garage doors.  I also put some in our wood pile, and I can tell you this stuff works on chipmunks at least.  Of course it does not last forever in the outdoors.  It seems to last about two weeks as a deterrent and then is biodegradable.  But a few applications around the area and the rodents seem to have forged themselves new feeding grounds.

I would say it's easy enough to toss some on the engine block back by the distributor.  May also help to coat the wire in question with some texas pete hot sauce.  It may not stop em but it will sure clear their sinus.  

How many times do people riding with you ask "Wha's cookin!!??  or "did we just pass a TexMex Restaurant"  or  "Geeze why are my eyes watering so?  or

but I am gonna throw some red pepper around in Ritas flower beds before she shoots Elvis (the hound dog) for diggin them up.

OK back to our regularly scheduled thread. Sorry.....

• Like 1