1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Thanks for all the comments.  Still have a long road ahead, but gaining.  I installed the front sway bar today and this weekend I will re-do the firewall insulation and heater box and get that all wrapped up.  Now that I can roll the car I will start on the body work along with getting the engine ready to run.  

This week I will be working on the brake system for the car.  I have everything I need to do it now.  When I was at the auto parts store today picking up my new master cylinder I grabbed two pipe elbows so once the brakes are done I can build my exhaust system for the run stand. 

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3600.JPG

Time for an update on the project.  I managed to get all the brakes installed along with the booster and master cylinder.  Now I just have to bleed the system and it's done.  Took the radiator out to another shop to have them test it since it was free to check it.  Once they had in in the water tank and turned on the air, man it looked like a fish tank with all those bubbles.  Needless to say the core is shot.  Imagine that.  $550 for a new one from Classic radiator or $400-$500 for a re-core from the place that did my heater core.  Or I could just use a nice new pretty aluminum one for $130.  I'm sure that would look just great.:rolleyes:  Naaaaaaaaah,  I will have to save a few more penny's a get it re-done or bought.  All for the love of an automobile.

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

• Like 1

I really want to see this car when it's finished.  Will you take it to AACA shows when it's finished or will you drive/tour it?  What are the general plans for it when it's finished?

Thanks for the comments Paul and Gary.  I will keep the pictures and information coming as I make progress.  The brakes are done so now I will be working on the engine run stand (exhaust, gauges, switches, etc) to get it ready to run the engine.  Now with the car also able to roll outside I will be starting on the body work too. 

Chris, I can understand your excitement on seeing it completed.  I too can't wait until it's all finished.  I never really gave it a hard thought yet.  Just drive it and enjoy the hard work that went into it.  I will more than likely join the AACA chapter in Tucson.  Do some local car shows probably.  I would like to take it up to the show in Pine Top (Run to the Pines).  I could only imagine taking it to Hershey.  That would be super great, but getting it there would be a killer since I'm on the other end of the country, but you never know.  It seems like you have a lot more car events going on in your area and the more eastern states.  My main focus is to get it done and then see where it goes from there.

• Like 1

Martin,

I am enjoying your restoration posts on this topic.

I thought the photo of your master brake cylinder looked familiar.  Here, side-by-side, is your photo of it and

a photo of the one on my 1965 Ford Custom (big Galaxie body), but it does not have power assist.  I wish

it did.  This is probably not the original master cylinder for my car.

1961Merc-master-cyl&1965Ford.jpg

Edited by wldavis
Add text. (see edit history)

wldavis,

Thanks for following along on the progress.  They do look the same.  My car came with the power brake option and shares a lot of the parts as a 1961 Galaxie.  The body panels are different, but the chassis is the same.  I do believe the 600 model Meteor did not have power brakes.  The 800's were the middle of the Meteor line.  The Monterey was the high end with more chrome on the dash and other options.  It could be original to your car.  If you had a build sheet from the car it may show it.  Not sure how you would find out otherwise. I was doing some repair work on a neighbors 1966 Fairlane 500 XL convertible and his doesn't have power brakes either.  It has the 390 with the 4 speed.  There is no room for a booster.  It has a smaller engine bay than the full size Fords.

Just a quick little blip on some progress.  Received my dust boots for the rear brake cables.  I couldn't find Ford ones so I found some on Ebay.  They are for 1960-1979 GM.  They are exactly what I had on the car originally.  Same shape, size and fit.  They are snug to get over the big ball at the end of the cable, but once they are on they're perfect.  I also picked up some 2" tubing for the exhaust pipes for the test stand.  Have to make flanges and get some gaskets for them.  Sorry the pictures aren't the best.  Bad lighting.:)

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

I just noticed a new Youtube video today (posted today actually).  Someone also in a desert climate has a Mercury jones and has high standards for their work, very similar to yours.  Do you know this person?  Is he a close relative?  Ha.  

See:  

On October 28, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Hmmmm... That's very interesting Pacerman.  Don't know who made a you tube video on the progress of the Mercury.  I know it wasn't me.  Very interesting.<_<

I see that this YouTube 'channel' is also making videos of other restoration projects from the AACA forums.  I would assume this is a clear copyright violation.  If not, I need to understand the AACA terms of use for posts made here to this forum.

On 10/28/2016 at 8:13 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Hmmmm... That's very interesting Pacerman.  Don't know who made a you tube video on the progress of the Mercury.  I know it wasn't me.  Very interesting.<_<

Not really a "video". Just an array of the photos.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes, it appears someone is simply taking photos off the site and making "videos" out of them.  I'm not sure why someone would take the time and effort to do this for a car they neither owned nor restored.  It's not that your excellent photos aren't worth displaying, but I'm not sure what the motivation would be for a perfect stranger to use them in this way.  Hopefully they aren't claiming to be the party responsible for the restoration.

1 hour ago, Taylormade said:

Yes, it appears someone is simply taking photos off the site and making "videos" out of them.  I'm not sure why someone would take the time and effort to do this for a car they neither owned nor restored.  It's not that your excellent photos aren't worth displaying, but I'm not sure what the motivation would be for a perfect stranger to use them in this way.  Hopefully they aren't claiming to be the party responsible for the restoration.

Probably because if your view and subscriber numbers are high enough, you can make money from the advertising that YouTube tacks onto the front of the videos.

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Probably because if your view and subscriber numbers are high enough, you can make money from the advertising that YouTube tacks onto the front of the videos.

Agreed, they do have enough views/subscriptions to be making some money from this.  They have given credit to one of the "videos" I see on the page but not any of the others. 

It never ceases to amaze me as to what people will do to make a buck.   In the comments on multiple "videos" the poster does indeed take credit for the restoration.  He even has "fans" that say how great all his restorations are.  That's a thief in my book. 

It doesn't sit well with me that this guy can just troll forums and pick what photos he wants and make a video.  All for just making a buck.  Not to cool, and yes that's stealing.  At least the fine folks here on the forum know who the REAL restorer is on this project.  Thanks for all the comments and support from you all. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the link to the You tube video is no longer. Interesting. I wonder if the guy came back to steal more pictures and noticed that they are now stamped copyright.  Well at least he won't be taking credit anymore a car he doesn't own.  Anyway, I've been really busy with jobs so I haven't had much time on the car.  I did manage to get a pair of NOS rocker molding end caps.  I have a drivers side one that was good, but the passenger side was smashed and is a bear to find.  They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but at least I have a nice set now.  Trying to score a NOS trunk emblem too.  Very hard to find the "Mercury" emblem for this year.  I have one, but it will need some rework. Maybe this Sunday I will work on the engine stand stuff. I still have to do the pipes and since the radiator is shot I can mock up a mount for that too. That way the new one can just bolt into place.

• Like 1

On the video, I messaged moderator MCHinson about the video he had of my restoration and he got in touch with the poster.  He told him that I was upset that he posted the video on Youtube without my permission.  He took my video down and probably took yours down at the same time.  Told MCHinson he was sorry...

we're getting closer.  Got the exhaust pipes all done and ready.  Just lacking the radiator and two hoses.  I have to do some home repair for my neighbors so I see a radiator in the very near future.;)  I guess I better get going on the mount for it.  Can't wait to hear the engine fire back up since I bought the car.  It's 2" tubing about 8' long.  Should have good back pressure.

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest cheralauto

Hello
I am the owner of chaine youtube CHERAL AUTO
do not worry as everyone on youtubee knew you are the owner of the car
I have already mentioned the source in the description
I'm sorry I felt it would make you happy
If you want I will delete the video .

5 hours ago, cheralauto said:

Hello
I am the owner of chaine youtube CHERAL AUTO
do not worry as everyone on youtubee knew you are the owner of the car
I have already mentioned the source in the description
I'm sorry I felt it would make you happy
If you want I will delete the video .

Cheralauto, a number of us have noticed that you have "appropriated" photos from several restoration threads on the AACA forum to put into your videos. Personally, I am amazed that you would do this without asking permission first. What is your ultimate goal with all your videos, besides making money from YouTube advertising?

Also, I notice that when commenters praise you for the 'wonderful work' on these restorations, you take no steps to explain to them that Cheral Auto is not the restorer actually doing the work. Why is this?

• Like 2

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Just a quick blip on some progress.  After doing some research on the radiators I decided to have the original one rebuilt.  Wasn't sure if the transmission lines would be in the same location on the tanks or not.  All the pictures show them higher.  I'm sending it out to the radiator shop in California that did my heater core.  They will be using a high efficiency core so I will get more cooling for the same cost as a new one.  More cooling for the engine in Arizona is a good thing.  I have to make a mount this coming week for the radiator when I get my hoses in from Rock auto.  Then off it goes.  The neighbors with the heavy equipment have giving me a big laundry list of home repairs and other projects they want done.  They don't mind paying for good work.  Looks like the transmission will be getting done, drive shaft reworked and maybe get the exhaust system really soon.  Hoping to get all this done before the end of the year.  It's going to be great. :D

Glad the video is down.  Maybe I will do my own one day since it had a good following.  It won't be for profit.  Just for people to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the radiator hoses so I can now make the radiator mount finally.  Once done off it goes for rebuild.  Spoke with Waldon on the exhaust system.  They don't have a dual system for the Meteor 800 with a 352.  They have it for the Monterey with the 390.  Same car just with more chrome pieces. They were going to check the angles of the pipes and see if they would interchange.  I do believe that the 352 and 390 are the same block and used the same exhaust manifolds too.  I should here something back this coming week.  Once I get a final answer then I will know which way to go.  I will be taking the transmission in for service in a week.

• Like 1