Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

After a morning of working of the roof I took a few hours and got to work on the car. Got down to the meat and potatoes part of the car. Looks like I will have to get a stand this week so I will be ready to pull the power plant. I pulled everything from the firewall forward. I noticed that the plant destination number was written on the firewall (LA plant). I think the old girl was getting mad at me and decided to let me have it. I was taking off the lower bottom fender bolt at the rocker panel and it is so corroded that the clip broke. I was still able to get it to stay hooked enough to get it to turn. Well, while laying on my back, close to the work..... and pow. Managed to get smaked with a 3/8" rachet to the lower lip. The inside looks pretty ugly from where the tooth dug out a chunk. The outside, a good split. The wife told me that's enough for today, oh but I will return.:mad:

post-96233-143142496587_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142496569_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142496575_thumb.jpg

post-96233-14314249658_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142496584_thumb.jpg

Merc update. I pretty much have everything unbolted and ready to pull out the engine and trans. Drained all the fluids and they didn't look or smell bad. I was going to pick up a 2000lb engine stand from my local Chinese tool warehouse, but after reading reviews the night before I decided to build my own. I checked in my shop and I had plenty of steel left over from previous big jobs. I did manage to still go to the chinese place, but left with four nice casters. Then off to the steel store to get some bar stock and 1/4" plate. After I was all done with the stand I only had $50 in the hole thing. 4 casters and the plate and bar I bought. Just have to put some color on it. I will post pictures later this week. I'm pretty sure it will hold a motor or two. :rolleyes: Looking to pull it all out this Sunday morning. Can't wait to start tearing into that and getting the front of the car cleaned up.

Well here she is. I think it will do just fine. I have my buddy coming over to assist and hopeflly it comes out without a hitch. I got the hoist all lined up. Just waiting until Sunday. :D I will take some shots of the progress.

post-96233-143142517977_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142517962_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142517965_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142517969_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142517972_thumb.jpg

Considering the nice work you've done on your car, this must have been easy.

What a day. Made good progress on the Merc. Manage to get the engine and trans out. It's resting well on the stand now. Didn't move at all. Must of did something right on that one.:) I started cleaning the gunk off the block and testing areas to see how much cleaning is going to be involved. Not real bad, but it will take some time. I pulled out what was left of the freeze plugs on the drivers side of the block. Rusted clear thru. Got a lot of rust and junk to clean out of the block on that side. The motor ran great when I got the car so I will be basicly pulling everything except tearing down the short block. Just do a good cleaning and will be ready to put back together. I guess I will be busy for awhile now. I did see on the firewall the trim code (G-18) and the body code (65A) written with marker. It's a little faded, but I will be putting it back on when I get it all painted.

post-96233-143142522257_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522215_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522221_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522225_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522229_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522234_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522237_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522241_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522245_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522249_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142522253_thumb.jpg

Had some time after a busy day of work today. I decided to tear into the engine. I doesn't look to bad inside, but sure stunk. Had that old varnish and oil smell. :P Not to much build up which will make clean up alot faster.

post-96233-143142528742_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142528725_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142528731_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142528737_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean about the old engine smell once you crack them open. I swear I can smell it just looking at the pictures. Looks great inside considering the age and mileage.

Did you find the metal build tag on the right side corner where the fender meets the cowl? I met a family with a Mercury convertible that led me to look there for mine. Sure enough it was still wired there and sitting in the cavity created by the fender and cowl.

Too cool about the firewall markings. I will have to see what is behind the engine on mine. On mine the rotation number is clear on the firewall and inspector "28" signed off on the voltage regulator. Those are the only two I see currently.

Edited by flyermark (see edit history)

I haven't seen a tag, but didn't know one was there. Guess I will have to look in the morning. :confused:

You are making great strides must feel good to get all this work done, It does look good inside are you staying with the two barrel or upgrading to a four barrel ?

It does feel good to get things moving on the old Merc. I will be keeping everything the same. The only thing I may change would be the exhaust. It had a single, but I may go to a dual setup. Nothing loud. I know Waldon has them for the car, but I have plenty of time to think about it.

Martin - is that FE a 292ci or a 312ci or a 406 ci or... ? It is great fun following your restoration. Keep up the amazing work!

Mercury Fan

Chuck :)

Thanks Chuck. It's actually a 352. I got the intake and oil pan over at my neighbors house and he is going to hot tank it in the am. I cleaned up the push rods today and some vacuum lines. I would like to have the engine all cleaned up and back together by the end of June.

Well after tacking care of my two appointments today I went over to get my parts from the neighbor. The intake looks pretty clean. Still had some carbon build up on the under side, but cleaned up really quick. Need to get a small wire wheel to get into the tight spot to get the surface rust off. The oil pan came out pretty clean. Still had some left over crud, but it was in there for maybe 20 minutes. It was sure beat up. I don't know what he hit back in the day. Had to spend some time knocking the dents out of it. Ordered my freeze plugs for the block. Have to pull the heads next and do a little cleaning on them.

post-96233-143142531643_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142531625_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142531631_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142531637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

Martin, you are making good progress and moving right along! I've enjoyed your posts, and look forward to more on the engine.

Martin, what are you going to use to replicate those markings? I often wonder what they used. Grease pencils?

Pat, The "74" is written in grease pencil. The others look like they came from an old round tip marker. all the ends where the marker stopped looks rounded.

I know that when I worked at a Chrysler assemble plant as an inspector (I was only in my teens) they used a liquid ink marker along with the grease pencil. The ink marker could be refilled and came in several colors, it had a round flat tip on it. Just info for what it might be worth. Scott...

BTW, Martin your doing one heck of a job and I'm one of those that really like the amount time and detail work that you're putting in to the car, all that work will show in the end.

Thanks for the info Scotts. Any information is helpful. Well I have the oil pan all cleaned up inside and out. Dents are pretty much out and it's been primed and awaiting install and paint. I may have to buy new rocker arm rails. The others one aren't looking to good once I pulled them apart. Alot of years of gummed up oil and wear.. Going to call around to the parts stores and see how much lighter they will make my wallet. Should be posting more pics by the end of the week.

Wow! You're doing a great job and the attention to detail is amazing. I was shocked to see somebody correctly restoring a 61' mercury. I also have a Meteor 800, 352 with the 3 speed. I have an extra set of rocker arms with the shaft in good condition If you need them.

Well as I tear more into this engine I'm finding more crusty oil caked in all the passages and places it would be to hard to clean out. The old oil is just like liquid graphite with coal chuncks. Brake cleaner barely cleans it up. I decided to do a complete rebuild on the engine. My friend is going to take the block to an engine shop and have them put it in a vat to deep clean everything when I get it all the way torn down. Glad to have connections for this stuff. I did get the paint for the valve covers, air cleaner and oil fill cap. I guess I will clean them up and give them a new coat of paint and put them on a shelf for later. Oh well, just means the engine wont be done by June. Plenty more stuff to work on in the mean time.