Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

The weather wasn't the greatest today. Cool and windy so I picked at some items on the car. I cleaned up one of the front seat glide rails and painted it. Cleaned up the rear bumper bracket mounting bolts and media blasted the fuel door. I do have a tip that may be helpful. If you want to paint a spring and you want to make sure you get paint coverage in the inside coil just hang a paint can from it. It has to have two hook ends obviously. Just hook one end to a suitable wire or cable, then hang a paint can or some thing with a wire handle to extend the spring enough to get paint coverage. You don't want to hang something too heavy that it ruins the spring ends. Just gauge the weight. If you really want to cover yourself put a garbage can under it so if the spring breaks then you don't have a big mess to clean. I also use those wire shower curtain hooks to hang alot of the pieces when I paint them.

post-96233-143142950696_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142950599_thumb.jpg

post-96233-14314295063_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142950666_thumb.jpg

Well I got the core support back from the powder coaters. It's all nice and new metal again. I originall painted the core support end brackets with the Rust Oleum professional grade rattle can and looked good, but I couldn't find it in a qt can. I ended up buying the gallon size from HD in the gloos black. I sprayed the core support and it looks good, but I noticed it had more gloss than the spray can. So the next day I ended up doing a light scuff on the end brackets and repainted them so they all match. They look like they were coated with a high gloss powder coat. I thinned it with Acetone like it said and had good results. ALso have some shots of the seat rails. Hope to get more stuff done here shortly.

post-96233-143142958654_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958468_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958497_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958524_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958551_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958576_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958603_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142958628_thumb.jpg

I got the material in last week for the steering cylinder rebuild and managed to machine it today. Looks like it will work just fine. I guess I will be rebuilding that some time this week.

post-96233-143142961648_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142961616_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas. I just try to do my best and hope for good results. Speaking of results here is what the rebuilt steering cylinder looks like. It's now ready to go to the completed pile with the rest of the parts so far. I also media blasted the battery tray yesterday and put a fresh coat of POR15 on it to help with any rust issues. I was able to top coat it with the same Rust oleum professional paint I used on the core support.

post-96233-143142964261_thumb.jpg

post-96233-14314296421_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142964235_thumb.jpg

If cars had feelings, your's must feel like it just won the lottery!

Thanks for the link. It's pretty neat to see what the differences are from the US version and Canadian. Well I hate to say it, but it's been in the high 70's :rolleyes: and working on the underside of the pan scrapping away. Looking pretty good. Still have to order the lifters and pushrods yet. I got sidelined and had to purchase a few very hard to find NOS trim pieces before they got bought up. So now that I have them I can look at purchasing the engine parts again. Other than that nothing really exciting.

What size is the engine? I've used the "chrome paint in the past. Looks pretty good.

It's super bowl Sunday and I'm not much of a football guy so I decided to work the car today. This past Friday I put down the seem sealer and pulled the brake peadl linkage. After dis assembly I had two of the nylon sleeves break apart. I was going to order them until I saw the prices of them. I thought it's just nylon not gold plated. So I took a trip the the local hardware store and see if they had some in the hardware isle. Nope out of luck, so I looked around the store and the nylon barb fittings caught my eye. I went thru the selection until I found the right ones that would work. The hex was a little smaller, but good enough. Spent $8 in parts. Got home and got on the lathe and started turning. About 45 minutes later I had all my bushings. Then I got to put the brake linkage all bake together and off to the next project. I figured I would clean up the brake pedal mount bracket and paint it. Well one thing led to another and now the instrument cluster is out and I started to clean it. Then I pulled the steering column and then decided what the heck, pull everything. So out came the dash too. Have plenty of room to work now. This weekend I will be putting down the POR paint on the floor and the next weekend lay down some color. From under that dash all the way to the back seat area. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233217[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233219[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233222[/ATTACH]

I wish I had 1/4 your talent.

We had ou 352 in a 59 retractable rebuilt and cannot get rid of a head gasket leak. The guy has tried two different types of gaskets. I've read some folks won't use any gasket at all. May I ask, are you going gasket-less?

Also, if Mercurys are like Fords, when you get her running, beware they can pop out of park while idling into reverse. Quite common. While your steering column is apart you can purchase what is called a detent plate. It replaces the worn piece that keeps the car in park.

Edited by exbcmc (see edit history)

Interesting on the head gasket leak issue. I installed head gaskets and tighten them down per the cars maintenance manual. I guess I will have to see what happens when I get running. When I pulled off the exhaust manifolds there were no gaskets, but no exhaust leaks either. Is the poping out of park common on the three speed automatics or the two? Mine has a two speed. Basicly it is a full size Ford platform, just a different body. I did check all the parts on the steering column and the detent plate didn't look worn and functioned very well. Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to do some research on these issues.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

Interesting on the head gasket leak issue. I installed head gaskets and tighten them down per the cars maintenance manual. I guess I will have to see what happens when I get running. When I pulled of the exhaust manifolds there were no gaskets, but no exhaust leaks either. Is the poping out of park common on the three speed automatics or the two? Mine has a two speed. Basicly it is a full size Ford platform, just a different body. I did check all the parts on the steering column and the detent plate didn't look worn and functioned very well. Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to do some research on these issues.

Ah, ours is the 3speed Cruise o matic. I don't know about the two speed. I know through the years many lawsuits towards Ford over the problem.

Well it's been a while since I posted. Been busy with the metal business so haven't had much car time. I did manage today to get the lifters installed, the intake manifold and some other misc. parts. I had to put the valve covers and air cleaner on the see how it looks. Still need to get the rocker arms, shafts, water pump, balancer, and other gaskets. I made a lifting bar so me and the misses could get that big old heavy manifold back on. To hard for one person. I also have been working on the under side of the pan and that is looking pretty good. Found a little rust spot that will need a patch, but easy enough to do. Hope to get the transmission looked at and serviced here shortly.

post-96233-143143002218_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143001953_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143001982_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002008_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002033_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002059_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002086_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002113_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002139_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002165_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143143002191_thumb.jpg

Martin, we just got the Ford back and the right side of the engine is quiet. Had to buy a new exhaust manifold, as the original's little tab where the screw goes into the head broke off. Trouble is, the threaded area on the head is broken too. With a gasket, so far, so good.

On the driver's side, where the heat riser valve (?) is? Has a leak there.

Is your carb an autolite? Looks just like ours. Can I ask where did you get the dash pot valve on the side? We need a new one and no one seems to know where to buy one.....thanks.

Edited by exbcmc (see edit history)

Thanks Dan. Seems like it's been forever to get it back together.

exbcmc, The card is an autolite 2100. The dash pot I found on Ebay. I saw some at Mikes carbuerator parts ( I think that was the name) on Google. I was looking for the carb gaskets and came across them and they had all kinds of parts. Try them?? There should be a gasket in between the heat riser and exhaust manifold and one between the heat riser and exhaust pipe.

That motor sure looks good, but everything you've done has been outstanding as well. I've said it before, youre attention to detail is incredible.

Thanks Dan. Seems like it's been forever to get it back together.

exbcmc, The card is an autolite 2100. The dash pot I found on Ebay. I saw some at Mikes carbuerator parts ( I think that was the name) on Google. I was looking for the carb gaskets and came across them and they had all kinds of parts. Try them?? There should be a gasket in between the heat riser and exhaust manifold and one between the heat riser and exhaust pipe.

Is the carb a 4 barrel? When I look up 2100 Autolite on Mikes Carbs, it says it's a 2?

Yes the 2100 is a 2bbl carb. A 4100 is a 4bbl.

Someone mentioned Mikes Carburetor. I ordered parts today....thank you.