Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I will check it out Bleach.  Thanks for the info.  Roger, not sure why they would have discontinued something if it worked.  I will have to do more research and see what I can dig up.

Hi Martin, I've only seen the snubber rubber bushing available in kit-form only, not separate. Rare Parts Pt.# 18020 @ ~$500. I'll be going through the same situation soon with my Canadian '61 Monarch Richelieu.

Regards,

Greg

1961 Monarch Richelieu 4-Dr. H.T.

1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Thanks Greg.  I will check it out.  I need all the lower bushings and all the ball joints so I can complete the front end when I get to that point.  Still have a ways to go, but I like to have my stuff ready to go when it's time.  I have  an email out to another company and I should hear back from them on their kit.  I also should know about the rear ones this week too.  I know PST doesn't offer the big bushing in their kit.

Today was a good day!  I received my re-built heater core and got two packages of smaller parts that I ordered for the brakes and wheel cylinders.  I've been getting really busy with work so that life thing is trying to derail my progress, but I'm not going to let it.  I have to stay focused and press on.  I got a spindle cleaned up and painted so I have to work the other one next.  Still looking into the bushing issue.  One of my friends wants me to build him a good sized welding table so that will contribute to the car fund.  It's always nice to get those kind of jobs to help support a project. 

post-138441-0-68846800-1457058471_thumb.post-138441-0-24590100-1457058479_thumb.

I now have the rear leaf springs all taken apart and ready to go the the coaters to get cleaned up.  I did noticed that when I took them apart that they used some kind of webbing material at the ends so the springs don't squeak.  I also found an NOS differential bumper on Ebay so that arrived today and was installed.  The old one had a chunk missing.  I attached a picture of the one spindle I have all done too.  I have to get some caster wheels so I can fabricate a body cart so I can roll the car body in and out so it makes for ease of working on it.

post-138441-0-50654900-1457403080_thumb.post-138441-0-79829500-1457403086_thumb.post-138441-0-64087000-1457403094_thumb.

Today I had to run errands around town and drop off products.  I stopped by the coaters and asked her how much to blast the springs and she said no charge.  She wants to work out things in trade.  That works for me.  :)

I picked up the leaf springs last week and already started to put some paint on them.  I've also started working the upper and lower control arms.  I did manage to find a good price for the front bushings that I needed.  Had to research a lot of part suppliers, but found the lowest price and free shipping.  I started working the differential too.  Have to rent an axle puller so I can get the axles out and pull the third member and see what it looks like.  I managed to get the drivers rear inner fender well all cleaned up.  Just have the other side to do.  Not a fun job.  I will post some pictures shortly.  

I now have the leafs all painted and I'm waiting on the anti squeak bushings to come in so I can put the leafs back together.  I'm also in the process of building the body skates so I can roll the body in and out to work on it with more room.  Once they are done then I can take the frame to get blasted.  I have a picture of what $440 worth of bushings looks like for a Mercury anti harsh ride set up.  One would figure they would throw in the upper ones too for that price, but it's just the lowers. :o  Progress is still going strong.  I have a new blast cabinet vacuum coming so I can get rid of the dust while I'm sand blasting the parts.  Can't see much when you're working in a haze.  Have one lower control arm that I'm blasting now and should have it ready for paint soon. 

IMG_3055.JPG

looks good.  i put a light inside my blast cabinet.

Thanks Gary,   I actually have a light in my cabinet.  I also put clear vinyl on the inside of the glass to keep it from getting etched so bad.  I bought a bright 3' led strip with power supply on Ebay and put it inside of one of those plastic tubes you put florescent light tubes in and sealed off the ends. When I built the cabinet I added some hooks to lay the tube in and it works pretty good.  I see your from SC.  The second owner of the Mercury lived in Banberg SC.  He bought the car when he got stationed here for the Army.

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

my light is a 150 watt flood bulb.i just moved her 10 yrs ago so I don't know where a lot of towns are. keep up the good work.

Well I finished up the leaf springs on Monday and are ready to go.  I stopped by the powder coaters and dropped off a door to get blasted and powder coated. I threw in the two control arms that I had disassembled so I can get them blasted when they do the door.  I will be taking the frame next week.  Probably Tuesday.  There is going to be some rain chances coming this week and weekend so I don't want it sitting on a trailer blasted and not be painted yet.  I have to get some paint for it anyway this week.  I did get the body on wheels so I can roll it in and out of the garage when I need to.  That will help when I get ready to coat the bottom of the body.  Things are still moving along, and that's a good thing.;)

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

Thought I would give an update.  The frame is going on Monday morning since I have to drop off some gates I made for a customer along with the other lower control arm.  The other one is ready to go.  I have installed all the bushing and it looks pretty good.  I will be ordering new ball joints in a week or so.  I also have been working on removing the old under coating and that is going well.  Not much more to take off.  Once it's all off then I will do some more wire wheeling and then final seam sealing and then the final coating.  Once that has cured up I will be painting the under side of the car the factory body color.  I think with the black frame and other parts it will give it a nice contrast and make things pop more.  I can't wait until the frame is all done and I get to start hanging stuff back on it.  It's going to be great to start putting it back together. 

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Keiser.  The frame and other control arm is now at the coaters and is waiting to be blasted.  I'm glad that the project is moving along.  Still have a little bit more under coating to scrape off and the under side will be ready for a final clean and seal.  Then I can apply the coating on that too.  

I got to pick up the frame today!!  It looks nice.  While looking it over I noticed a little round slug laying inside the rear leaf spring front mount.  I picked at it and it popped off.  It was a slug that came from when they punched the holes for the spring mount.  I can't believe it's been in there since the car was built and never fallen out.  Another keepsake.  I also was looking at the welds on it.  They're not very pretty.  Some look like they are just globs of melted iron.  I also have been tearing down the rear brakes.  The wheel cylinders are pretty nasty, but cleaned up nice.  I will order the rebuild kits for the rear brakes along with some other goodies.  I located the VIN number that was on top of the passenger frame rail.  I will be painting up the other control arm this week and rebuilding that as well.  I also installed some ball joints too.  A lot going on now.  I hope by the middle of the month it will start to look like a real car again.  Now we're having fun!!

I included a picture of the "family pet" that roams around the desert out back.  I see him at least once a year.  He (or she) is about 24" long.  They're pretty cool to look at.  

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

• Like 1

It's not a real pet like a dog or cat in that sense.  It has a burro out back behind my shop in the desert.  Last year a quail lay some eggs in a flower pot that was really low to the ground and he was by the pot trying to figure out how to get them when the quail left.  They are slow and neat to look at.  I just leave it alone and let it do what it wants.  Here is a link with more facts.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Gila%20Monster.php

Might have been a learner "welding" that chassis? It has lasted this long so is good enough!

IT'S PAINTED!!!! WHOOOO HOOOO.  Yes I'm a little excited.  Wasn't the funnest of times, but it's done.  Going to down load it off the trailer Sunday.  

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

• Like 1

Today I took apart the pinion part of the differential.  The pinion was really sloppy in the housing.  The bearings were pretty worn out.  I'm going to order a new ring and pinion, bearings, seals and whatever else I need to get the differential rebuilt.  I got the pinion housing all cleaned up and painted along with the yoke assembly.  Tomorrow I will be moving the frame in the garage and start working on it.  Moving right along.

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

Today was a busy day for the Mercury.  Got the frame down loaded of the trailer.  I repainted the frame markings that were on the frame.  I used one of my computer programs to trace over the original marking pictures and cut stencils out on my vinyl cutter.  I then moved the body out and got the frame under the body.  The fun really got started when I got to start hanging parts back on the frame.  So nice to handle clean parts and not get dirty.  I have to get the axles pulled so I can get the bearing numbers for the carrier.  I will be getting the other lower control arm finished up this week and get that hung as well.  I need to get the springs blasted and painted so they will be ready too.  

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

This car is coming out great, and it's nice to see you lavishing time (and money) on something some people overlook.  It's going to be a beautiful car when it's done.