1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I'm glad it's not covered in heavy undercoating or rusted badly Kieser.  Once the frame is out of the way I can get it done easier.

Roger. I'm going to strip the frame of what I can and then roll it out from under the car with wheeled flat carts.  Did some more demo on the frame today.  Getting closer to getting it down to just the frame.  The rear differential and leafs are ready to come out too.  A lot going on now.  Can't wait to get it blasted and painted.  Once it's out I have to hunt for any markings so I can re add them after paint.  The coils have some nice ones on them still.  Got to get them cleaned up and see what the colors are.  It's all in the details.  

post-138441-0-30836300-1455848591_thumb.post-138441-0-43055600-1455848599_thumb.post-138441-0-84033700-1455848607_thumb.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

Thanks John.  I got the differential pulled out after 50+ years.  Still has the original shocks and they still work good.  Now I have plenty of room to work under there.  I sand blasted and painted the shock perches and U bolts.  The rear spring shackles are all cleaned up and painted too.  Will be pulling the frame next week.  Moving right along now.  The warm weather makes it nice.  My neighbor is going to hot tank the front drums and backing plates.  They're pretty greasy from the wheel cylinders leaking.

post-138441-0-64984600-1456017745_thumb.post-138441-0-40341300-1456017756_thumb.post-138441-0-86630000-1456017764_thumb.

I know I said I was going to pull the frame next week.  I guess it's next week already.  I decided to just get it done since everything was off of it that needed to be.  Didn't take much.  Now I have to do some light scrubbing to see what I can see for markings.  I will be taking off the last of the pieces later on in the week so it will be ready for sand blasting. 

post-138441-0-11909500-1456107008_thumb.post-138441-0-75687000-1456107030_thumb.post-138441-0-84327900-1456107038_thumb.post-138441-0-49981700-1456107047_thumb.

Today I took the drums and front backing plates to my neighbors so he can hot tank them.  I included a picture of some of the parts that I have already blasted and painted.  I found some marking on the outside of the frame rail so I have to measure and document them so I can recreate them once it's been painted.  I will be loading the frame on his flat bed trailer until it's time to take it to the powder coater.  

post-138441-0-53998700-1456193353_thumb.

The frame is on the trailer and have been stripped of everything.  It's ready to go when I am.  After hot washing the drums I had a outer bearing race fall out.  I thought, "Well that's not suppose to happen".  So after a closer look I found out that the one hub was about .030 bigger than the race.  You could see where it wore a grove right in it.  I bet that had a vibration issue.  I pressed off the drums which wasn't to fun.  They were on the hubs pretty good.  Once off I decided to bore it out enough to clean up the ID and put in a sleeve.  I machined a sleeve for it and pressed it in.  After that turned the ID to the final size.  Now it's just like repaired new.  Waiting to get my new bearings in for them and that will be done.  Put a nice coat of cast paint on them.  

post-138441-0-04931000-1456457791_thumb.post-138441-0-86831700-1456457772_thumb.

Guest flyermark

Martin, great work.  I have been keeping track all along.  It has me motivated to get working on my 600 this summer.    Been swamped with life items (move, work, family issues, etc.) but hope to have time soon.    

I just wanted to comment on your hood springs.   Based on my unrestored, been my wife's family since new, Meteor 600 the springs were in fact red from the factory.  Surprised me the first time I wiped the dirt off of them but look cool (imho) with black hinges.

Hey flyermark,

I know the pains of life you're dealing with too.  I told myself this year I got to get moving on it.. Was getting tired of looking at it and nothing getting done.  Thanks for following the progress.  I spoke with the owner of the powder coaters and she said she we can do some horse trading on the blast job of the frame.  I will probably give her some cash to cover the blasters time and their media.  I have been running into an issue with the lower control arm bushings.  The car came with the anti harsh front and rear suspension and there is one big oval bushing that no one carries.  So this posses a problem.  I will have to do a lot of research and see what my options are.  I may have to change out the lower control arm with a 1961 Galaxie and use standard bushings.  I hope this doesn't put a wrench in it my progress.  :(

Thanks Paul,

It was factory on the 61 and 62 from what I have found in some research and they did away with it in 63.  It's designed to allow the lower control arm to flex back a little to absorb impacts in the road (like big bumps and pot holes)  The rear leaf springs have a rubber block that helps do the same thing.  I will post some images tonight.  The rear blocks I'm going to have made by the same company that did my trans mount and brake pedal pad.  

Guest gbenson

Hi Martin, I've only seen the snubber rubber bushing available in kit-form only, not separate. Rare Parts Pt.# 18020 @ ~$500. I'll be going through the same situation soon with my Canadian '61 Monarch Richelieu.

Regards,

Greg

1961 Monarch Richelieu 4-Dr. H.T.

1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Thanks Greg.  I will check it out.  I need all the lower bushings and all the ball joints so I can complete the front end when I get to that point.  Still have a ways to go, but I like to have my stuff ready to go when it's time.  I have  an email out to another company and I should hear back from them on their kit.  I also should know about the rear ones this week too.  I know PST doesn't offer the big bushing in their kit.

Today was a good day!  I received my re-built heater core and got two packages of smaller parts that I ordered for the brakes and wheel cylinders.  I've been getting really busy with work so that life thing is trying to derail my progress, but I'm not going to let it.  I have to stay focused and press on.  I got a spindle cleaned up and painted so I have to work the other one next.  Still looking into the bushing issue.  One of my friends wants me to build him a good sized welding table so that will contribute to the car fund.  It's always nice to get those kind of jobs to help support a project. 

post-138441-0-68846800-1457058471_thumb.post-138441-0-24590100-1457058479_thumb.

I now have the rear leaf springs all taken apart and ready to go the the coaters to get cleaned up.  I did noticed that when I took them apart that they used some kind of webbing material at the ends so the springs don't squeak.  I also found an NOS differential bumper on Ebay so that arrived today and was installed.  The old one had a chunk missing.  I attached a picture of the one spindle I have all done too.  I have to get some caster wheels so I can fabricate a body cart so I can roll the car body in and out so it makes for ease of working on it.

post-138441-0-50654900-1457403080_thumb.post-138441-0-79829500-1457403086_thumb.post-138441-0-64087000-1457403094_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the leaf springs last week and already started to put some paint on them.  I've also started working the upper and lower control arms.  I did manage to find a good price for the front bushings that I needed.  Had to research a lot of part suppliers, but found the lowest price and free shipping.  I started working the differential too.  Have to rent an axle puller so I can get the axles out and pull the third member and see what it looks like.  I managed to get the drivers rear inner fender well all cleaned up.  Just have the other side to do.  Not a fun job.  I will post some pictures shortly.  

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the leafs all painted and I'm waiting on the anti squeak bushings to come in so I can put the leafs back together.  I'm also in the process of building the body skates so I can roll the body in and out to work on it with more room.  Once they are done then I can take the frame to get blasted.  I have a picture of what $440 worth of bushings looks like for a Mercury anti harsh ride set up.  One would figure they would throw in the upper ones too for that price, but it's just the lowers. :o  Progress is still going strong.  I have a new blast cabinet vacuum coming so I can get rid of the dust while I'm sand blasting the parts.  Can't see much when you're working in a haze.  Have one lower control arm that I'm blasting now and should have it ready for paint soon. 

IMG_3055.JPG

Thanks Gary,   I actually have a light in my cabinet.  I also put clear vinyl on the inside of the glass to keep it from getting etched so bad.  I bought a bright 3' led strip with power supply on Ebay and put it inside of one of those plastic tubes you put florescent light tubes in and sealed off the ends. When I built the cabinet I added some hooks to lay the tube in and it works pretty good.  I see your from SC.  The second owner of the Mercury lived in Banberg SC.  He bought the car when he got stationed here for the Army.

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Well I finished up the leaf springs on Monday and are ready to go.  I stopped by the powder coaters and dropped off a door to get blasted and powder coated. I threw in the two control arms that I had disassembled so I can get them blasted when they do the door.  I will be taking the frame next week.  Probably Tuesday.  There is going to be some rain chances coming this week and weekend so I don't want it sitting on a trailer blasted and not be painted yet.  I have to get some paint for it anyway this week.  I did get the body on wheels so I can roll it in and out of the garage when I need to.  That will help when I get ready to coat the bottom of the body.  Things are still moving along, and that's a good thing.;)

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update.  The frame is going on Monday morning since I have to drop off some gates I made for a customer along with the other lower control arm.  The other one is ready to go.  I have installed all the bushing and it looks pretty good.  I will be ordering new ball joints in a week or so.  I also have been working on removing the old under coating and that is going well.  Not much more to take off.  Once it's all off then I will do some more wire wheeling and then final seam sealing and then the final coating.  Once that has cured up I will be painting the under side of the car the factory body color.  I think with the black frame and other parts it will give it a nice contrast and make things pop more.  I can't wait until the frame is all done and I get to start hanging stuff back on it.  It's going to be great to start putting it back together. 

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Keiser.  The frame and other control arm is now at the coaters and is waiting to be blasted.  I'm glad that the project is moving along.  Still have a little bit more under coating to scrape off and the under side will be ready for a final clean and seal.  Then I can apply the coating on that too.  

I got to pick up the frame today!!  It looks nice.  While looking it over I noticed a little round slug laying inside the rear leaf spring front mount.  I picked at it and it popped off.  It was a slug that came from when they punched the holes for the spring mount.  I can't believe it's been in there since the car was built and never fallen out.  Another keepsake.  I also was looking at the welds on it.  They're not very pretty.  Some look like they are just globs of melted iron.  I also have been tearing down the rear brakes.  The wheel cylinders are pretty nasty, but cleaned up nice.  I will order the rebuild kits for the rear brakes along with some other goodies.  I located the VIN number that was on top of the passenger frame rail.  I will be painting up the other control arm this week and rebuilding that as well.  I also installed some ball joints too.  A lot going on now.  I hope by the middle of the month it will start to look like a real car again.  Now we're having fun!!

I included a picture of the "family pet" that roams around the desert out back.  I see him at least once a year.  He (or she) is about 24" long.  They're pretty cool to look at.  

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

• Like 1

It's not a real pet like a dog or cat in that sense.  It has a burro out back behind my shop in the desert.  Last year a quail lay some eggs in a flower pot that was really low to the ground and he was by the pot trying to figure out how to get them when the quail left.  They are slow and neat to look at.  I just leave it alone and let it do what it wants.  Here is a link with more facts.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Gila%20Monster.php