1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Actually it really looks good. BTW, how tall is your air filter element? I've had a hard time trying to find the right one. I have a late 50's Ford air cleaner that looks like yours on my 56 Ford when I converted to a 57 manifold and carb and everywhere I've tried their filters were shorter. I ended up finding one close enough for a DeSoto that works but is different enough to bug me.

Bleach. I actually have to buy one yet.  I'm going to pull the measurements from the air cleaner housing and see whats out there.  It had a Fram element in it when I got it, but the correct element is suppose to have an upper lip so when the top goes on it it seals it.  I will let you know what I come across and the measurements on mine.

Hastings-AF33-Air-Filter-fit-Ford-Country-Squire-60-61-4-8L-Fairlane-4-8L

Well if you have good luck finding one please let me know. All the ones I was shown had the right lip but were too short and didn't reach down far enough to the carb. The Desoto one has a lip too but it's a little thicker and doesn't completely fill up the entire depressed area in the air cleaner body. It's the right height and works OK otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I dropped off the transmission.  Woo Hoo.  They're going to go thru it and check everything and reseal it too.  I also contacted Waldon about the exhaust system and they varified that the 390 dual set up will fit the 352.  Woo Hoo.  So I have that all set up when I get ready to order.  I have decided to send out the radiator after Christmas.  With all the packages out for the holidays I don't want to throw mine into the mix and have a greater chance of it getting lost or misplaced, or better yet get thrown and damaged by an overworked angry delivery driver.  :)  

• Like 1

Today was the last day of work until after Xmas.  Now I get to have some me time for a few days.  Today I ran the Plasma machine and cut out the blanks for the right and left muffler brackets.  I have to get them all bent up like the original one and they will be ready for when I get the exhaust system here.  Other than that not to much going on with the car.  I did receive some wire harness clips for the fire wall.  Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Holidays.

Brackets (2).JPG

Brackets copy.jpg

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 1

While I was waiting on some customers to come and pick up their last minute Christmas gifts on Friday I decided to work on the muffler brackets.  Got them all finished.  Just have to make the large rivets and get some rubber strap material for them to finish them up.  I will have to wait until I get the pipes all installed so I know how far they need to hang down for the mufflers. 

IMG_3769 copy.jpg

IMG_3768.JPG

8 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

While I was waiting on some customers to come and pick up their last minute Christmas gifts on Friday I decided to work on the muffler brackets.  Got them all finished.  Just have to make the large rivets and get some rubber strap material for them to finish them up.  I will have to wait until I get the pipes all installed so I know how far they need to hang down for the mufflers. 

Wow Martin, that is true craftsmanship on those muffler brackets! Just beautiful.

Today I received a call from the transmission shop.  They said it looked really good inside and the clutch packs are in good shape.  He is going to replace all the rubber seals and the tail shaft bushing.  That's good news to hear.  Saves the funds for the exhaust system. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done much to the car.  I did call to get an update on the transmission.  It's all done.  Hopefully I can get a break from the work schedule and the weather to get down to the shop and pick it up.  One big piece off the list.  Just need the radiator back so I can get the engine ready to fire.  I did manage to get the power steering cylinder put on last week.  I can't bolt it up to the pit man arm until I get the engine back in to put some weight on the front end.  Getting closer.

I took the time this morning to go get the transmission.  It's about 50 miles one way.  They changed out the first gear band and replaced all the seals and gaskets, new filter and slip yoke sleeve.  They said everything else looked really good.  I got it masked off later today and added some cast paint.  Sure looks pretty. :)

IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

• Like 3

The UPS man brought my special package today.  The radiator looks great.  Sam at Salinas Radiator came thru again.  Their work is top notch and the prices are great compared to what I was quoted locally.  I have included their contact info below.

Salinas Radiator

231 E Market St

Salinas Ca. 93901

831-424-5647

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm still here Steve. :)  Been busy with work and life.  I'm sure a lot of us know how that goes.  As far as the Old Merc.  I received the break in oil and it's in the engine.  All I have to do is mount and fill the radiator, install the rocker arm rails and torque them down.  Then I will be ready to run the engine.  What should I add to the gas when I get ready to run it?  It's going to be ran off a 5 gal jug at first.  I'm going to order a new fuel tank tonight.  I also have to locate a NOS slip yoke for the transmission side.  I will post it in the buy and sell section with the casting number.  It's been a hard one to locate.  Once I get that then I will have a drive shaft company assemble and balance it to make sure there are no issues.  I also removed the front windshield so I can clean up the seal area and make sure that there is no rust issues.   

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

I'm still here Steve. :)  Been busy with work and life.  I'm sure a lot of us know how that goes.  Then I will be ready to run the engine.  What should I add to the gas when I get ready to run it?  It's going to be ran off a 5 gal jug at first.

I would put something in the fuel. You would want to use something to help negate the effects of alcohol. I would probably add in some sea foam or similar product. Have you upgraded components to be compatible with the newer fuel chemistries? My neighbor bought a new snow blower last summer. He brought it home and did all the prep work and fired it up. Then pushed t into the corner to wait for winter. In the fall when he pulled it out to gear up for winter it wouldn't start. Turns out it needed a new carburetor because the fuel destroyed something inside. Now when he uses the snow blower he shuts off the gas and runs it dry every time he parks it.

I will probably add some Marvels to the gas when I run it.  Everything has been updated so I shouldn't have any issues, but you know how that goes.  I have attached a picture of the slip yoke I need.  The part number is B9AA-4868-A.  All I know is that it is a 1959 yoke.  The machined shaft is 5 3/4".  I will post on the buy/sell tab too.  Hopefully someone has a NOS one laying around that they would sell.;)

IMG_3923.JPG

Today I had some time to work on the engine.  I now have all the rocker arms and shafts in and torqued.  I used a cordless drill to prime the oil pump and the gauge read 60 psi.  I was running it on low speed, not sure what the rpm's were, but you could see oil at the rockers.  I let it sit for about ten minutes and tried it again and the oil pressure jumped right up to 60 psi again.  Going to pick up some anti freeze this week and fill up the radiator.  Getting really close.  I'm a little nervous and excited at the same time.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a big day.  Passed another milestone in the project.  My neighbor and I got the engine all set up to run.  After a few attempts, it spit and sputtered and then it came to life.  It was smooth running with great oil pressure.  The exhaust kept it really quiet and worked great.  I had one freeze plug have a drip, but went away shortly after it warmed up.  I will be keeping my eye on it.  The only other issue I had was the rubber valve cover gasket on the drivers side was leaking oil pretty good.  I tightened it even more to slow it.  :angry:  I'm going to buy the cork ones and get rid of the leak.  Other than that the engine ran smooth and no other issues or leaks.  I think I did pretty well for rebuilding my first engine.  I dropped off the drive shaft this past Friday to get reworked so I will have that back in a week or so.  I also received word that the exhaust system has shipped and should be here in a week.  Things are starting to roll along. I will post the video when I get the size edited.

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote
Photos (see edit history)

NICE! You will want to be certain the valve cover edges are perfectly level and do NOT over tighten the bolts for them. Once you start bending the cover around the bolts, the leaks start. I was taught to always smear a THIN layer of the oil that you are going to use in your engine onto both sides of a cork gasket when installing them. Not enough to drip, but just enough to create a bonding barrier to seal.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks Keiser.  The rubber ones were really soft so when you tighten them down they just squish.  You would figure they would seal better.  I will be getting the cork ones tomorrow.  I will double check the covers also to make sure they aren't pulled in to far.  I was careful to not over tighten them when I installed them.  I would rather have to deal with this than a wiped out cam or a seized engine. :)  Next up will be drain the coolant, hook up the trans, and install.  Now I have lots to do.

• Like 1

Ilikecars53, I think she was unsure how this fly by night operation was going to go and used caution on the filming.:)  I also received my fuel tank a few days ago.  I have to cut the neck and weld the old one on since its curved and the new one is more straight.  Going to get busy.

Hi Martin, catching up on posts since we've been on vacation in Arizona. Congrats on getting the engine running on the stand - it sounded smooth. 

Did the small can work out ok for keeping the coolant temp in range? I had planned on using a box fan in front of the radiator on my test stand, because I'm scared to death of running the fan on the engine - afraid I'll cut my hand off or worse. 

Edited by r1lark
spellin' (see edit history)

Thanks Paul,

Since the engine had the fan on it and a new radiator I wasn't really worried about the temperature getting too hot.  I just wanted to add it for air movement.  My concern would be is a box fan going to produce enough air movement to cool your engine.  The engine fan throws a lot of air.  You just have to be careful around it when its running.  Yes it's scary, you just have to be aware at all times.  Make sure all your wires are secured for your timing light, meters etc. so they don't fly around and get wrapped up in anything.  You can do it.

Thanks Frank29u.  Yes, it's great to have that part done. Today was a good day.  Had to run into town and get my exhaust system that came in yesterday.  Stopped off at the drive line shop and picked up my drive shaft.  It's like Christmas in April.  Parts coming in from everywhere.  Now I have to get time to get this car back together.  I had a customer come by and pick up a seat frame I fabricated for his 1971 Land Cruiser he's restoring.  He couldn't find anyone in town that would make one.  Now all I need is the dash pad so I can get it painted and on the dash.  Once on then I can add the cluster and mount it along with the steering column.  I'm going to see if I can get the engine and trans in the car this weekend.

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

• Like 1

Happy Easter everyone.  I had a busy day.  The Mrs. and I installed the motor and trans. Went very well.  I used my new engine sling she bought fro Amazon.  It was like $80, but it's light and the tilt works pretty nice. Pretty happy with it.  And when your done with it you can put in in your tool box and doesn't take up much room at all. A little bigger than a standard multi-meter. Now I have to get the rest of the drive line in, exhaust and all the other little assemblies.  Then the inner fender wells will get blasted so I can paint and install them after everything is all buttoned up.  I want to get it running again. Like to hear it purr.

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

• Like 3