The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

I have repaired quite a few of these by welding the slot in the arm as was mentioned to you by someone else, I have also welded the slots in the ball and then thrown the assy in a lathe to turn back down.

I would not in any way shape or form attempt to weld a new ball onto whatever shaft you have left after cutting the old ball off pinned or un-pinned but of course you can do what you want.

Is the drag link supposed to have the bend in it and it also appears to me that the ends are not in line with the shaft. Could it be that this arm was bent at one point causing the excessive wear due to misalignment? Actually, to me the balls don't look that bad and even the ball on my "36 pitman arm is ground flat on the outer edge! The gouges could be welded and ground smooth and with new inner parts should work well. The slots in the ends should probably be brazed and reground for a better fit unless you could find better drag link. I'm not familiar with that year or the correct contour of the link.

As far as I know that is the correct curve to the steering arm. There appears to be no damage or kinks to the arm. Without the bend, it wouldn't fit correctly between the pitman arm and the front steering post. I'm getting a new front ball with the rebuild kit, so that is not an issue. The pitman arm repair will be interesting once I see the replacement ball from Then and Now. I agree with Jason - the thought of welding a new ball to the existing shaft worries me.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Welding steering parts sounds like fun! The supplier should provide the proper type of welding method for the welder to follow. I would have a certified welder do the weld and get them to provide the paperwork to go with the work.

Steve

I got my "Floating Power" motor mounts back for Now And Then Auto. They did a nice job. All parts had the old rubber taken off, the metal cleaned and painted and new rubber vulcanized to the metal in a mold that exactly duplicates the original. Take a look at the before and after pictures.

front motor mount

IMG_3357_zps8bb9efeb.jpg

IMG_3356_zps5e32852e.jpg

IMG_3511_zps11f8c2c3.jpg

IMG_3510_zpsd9a9f86c.jpg

The "steady rest" that supports the engine under the rear seal area. The redone part is the lower piece in the before pic.

IMG_3359_zpsbf1ee8f2.jpg

IMG_3508_zps3a033d65.jpg

The transmission cradle. This had a chunk of the metal broken off. They cut and welded on a new piece for me.

IMG_3355_zps535b04ff.jpg

IMG_3503_zpsd4d52bd9.jpg

IMG_3504_zpsc09a7620.jpg

The spring damper. The small traverse spring that extends from the frame to the motor attaches to this.

IMG_3353_zpsd7ad626f.jpg

IMG_3505_zps452c8906.jpg

IMG_3506_zps06ca5bd2.jpg

The spring bumpers

IMG_3351_zpsfc584c96.jpg

IMG_3512_zpsb25d8eb7.jpg

I'm very happy with the results. Total for all the mounts was around $360. I don't know how else I could have fixed these parts. I did some 29 Plymouth spring bumpers years ago with urethane rubber and they came out okay, but I don't think I'd want to trust my limited skills to a motor mount. Now I can feel safe the engine won't fall out of the frame on some road trip!

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

I'm working on it, Phil, believe me! :)

I'm taking the front axle apart and have come to a screeching halt trying to remove the old kingpins. Which way does the tapered pin that holds the kingpin in go out? ? don't want to start banging on the axle, trying to drive it out the wrong way.
<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>
Does it drive out from this side...

IMG_3514_zps5316d83b.jpg

Or from this side...

IMG_3516_zpsf8bc91c3.jpg

Some help from the experts out there, please.<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Last night I went over to the powdercoater's to film the process on my frame.<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate> First Brandon washed the sandblasted frame with water and then sprayed it with a rust inhibiting solution.

IMG_3453_zps265f6cad.jpg

IMG_3454_zps60858e9a.jpg

IMG_3459_zps94d0330e.jpg

Then it was dried for half an hour in the oven at 400 degrees F.

Once dry, an electrode was attached to the metal frame supporting the car frame and the power "spraying" device was ready to go.

IMG_3460_zps11d619bb.jpg

IMG_3461_zps7dd673e2.jpg

The Lava Black powder was then applied as a heavy mist. It sticks to the metal thanks to the static charge provided by the electrode.

IMG_3492_zps9e9e585e.jpg

Here you can see some of the powder already applied. When baked, it will harden to a semi-gloss black finish.

IMG_3477_zps65f6d62d.jpg

Brandon spent a lot of time making sure the powder reached every nook and cranny.

IMG_3497_zps95965bb9.jpg

IMG_3494_zpsea28604a.jpg

Then it was put into the oven to bake for an hour at 400 degrees F.

IMG_3499_zpsc3fdf3db.jpg

It was late in the night by then and we put the timer on the oven and left for home. I'll have pics of the frame when it's delivered.<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Getting back to the ball on the steering arm, some time ago I had one repaired for the DA. The engineering company made a hardened steel ball then turned down the arm so that the ball slid over the taper they had turned, then SILVER SOLDERED it onto the arm. Have not had the car on the road yet (can't rush these things!!!) so cannot vouch for reliability, but they had apparently done a lot that way. I believe they used silver solder so that it was not necessary to get the arm and particularly the hardened ball as hot as would be required for welding or brazing.

John

How much for the powder coating of the frame and did they sandblast or was that farmed out to someone else and how much? Thanks

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>As far as I know that is the correct curve to the steering arm. There appears to be no damage or kinks to the arm. Without the bend, it wouldn't fit correctly between the pitman arm and the front steering post. I'm getting a new front ball with the rebuild kit, so that is not an issue. The pitman arm repair will be interesting once I see the replacement ball from Then and Now. I agree with Jason - the thought of welding a new ball to the existing shaft worries me.

Same shape as mine

How much for the powder coating of the frame and did they sandblast or was that farmed out to someone else and how much? Thanks

The total charge for everything - sandblasting, cleaning and powdercoat - was $500. This included a ton of small individual frame parts, some of which you can see hanging above the frame itself. This shop does the sandblasting and powdercoating, so nothing was farmed out.

With that nice insulating powder coating I can imagine you'll have a little "fun" getting getting good grounds for all the lights and electrical. :)

Yes some judicious grinding with my Dremel tool is going to be necessary to get a good ground. Another fun project will be chasing all the threads with a tap - and there are a ton of threaded fittings on this frame.

For bending over that frame, may I recommend a comfortable chair, favorite libation and great tunes. Fantastic job you're doing!!

I always have my IPod stereo player cranked up when I work on Daphne. And I have my grandfathers comfortable old chair out there, too. As for the libations, I stick to the soft stuff - in my case, alchohol and power tools don't mix too well. :)

The total charge for everything - sandblasting, cleaning and powdercoat - was $500. This included a ton of small individual frame parts, some of which you can see hanging above the frame itself. This shop does the sandblasting and powdercoating, so nothing was farmed out.

Thats cheap and well worth it, there is a special tape that can be rolled and inserted into any threads within the frame so that you will not have to re-tap. Just something to consider but the guys doing the work should already know that.

Finally, a hint of Spring. Despite the wonderful weather (70 degrees F and sunny), nothing very exciting is happening with Daphne. Just rather boring jobs that need to get done. You won't learn anything from this post except that I need to lose some weight.

I took the rear axle housing down to the local car wash and spent some time cleaning off most of the dirt and grease. Then it was back to the garage (in this case, in front of the garage) to wirebrush everything down to bare metal.

IMG_3533_zps0d48b8b6.jpg

IMG_3521_zps205623eb.jpg

IMG_3528_zpsda7a1616.jpg

Even with a grinder and very aggressive wire brushes, it took a while to get everything clean. I left the welding splash on the metal since it was put there at the factory by the welder over eighty years ago. I guess it's always a decision to either leave it a bit rough and original or over restore it too a perfect finish.

IMG_3535_zpsc80b127a.jpg

Despite all the grease and some original paint, there was a lot of rust on the housing - as you can see from this before and after shot.

IMG_3536_zps96bdb63a.jpg

With everything shiny, I wiped the housing down with lacquer thinner and then shot on a coat of primer.

IMG_3538_zps81faeaf4.jpg

IMG_3540_zps8c50560f.jpg

Job done.

You may already be aware but a trip to the local dollar store can yield a can of spray on oven cleaner that works absolute wonders with de-greasing parts

You may already be aware but a trip to the local dollar store can yield a can of spray on oven cleaner that works absolute wonders with de-greasing parts

I have found those steel wire brushes a pain: you get showered with sharp steel wire filaments. Those you are using with twisted tufts of wires are far better than those with straight wires. Plastic stripper wheels on an electric drill (max speed 3500 RPM) are excellent and safer.

That's the reason I'm wearing a face shield. Even the twisted brushes start to shed once they get worn. I used a 3M stripper disk on the grinder for the driveshaft and it worked great.

IMG_3544_zps4ad7adfe.jpg

Speaking of the driveshaft, has anyone seen U-joints like these? They are a new breed to me. The "ball" rotates, which is why I didn't paint it.

IMG_3547_zpsbf2d73e8.jpg

IMG_3543_zpse24422bc.jpg

IMG_3542_zpsda1a47de.jpg

Does anyone know if this type of joint had a cover to protect it? My 48 Plymouth had a rubber boot over its joints and you could also get a lace-up leather cover. It seems like this needs some sort of cover, but it did last all these years without one and appears to be in very good shape, with smooth action and no looseness.

I marked the back of the driveshaft so it will mate up the same way it came off. It mentions in the Owners Manual that the driveshaft is factory balanced and should be put back the way it came off. Naturally, when Ed and I took the motor out way back when, we didn't pay attention up front. I'm hoping this is a mark to indicate how the front of the shat mates with the front U-joint (which is exactly like the one at the rear. I haven't taken all the grease off the front U-joint to see if there is a corresponding mark.

IMG_3545_zpsac664464.jpg

IMG_3548_zps24ccb934.jpg

The driveshaft and rear axle housing are due for a coat of black paint as soon as the primer dries thoroughly.

Transmission question. Has anyone taken one of these apart? I have no reason to believe the unit has any problems, it always worked fine for me and for Phil.

IMG_3552_zpsc3405782.jpg

I was cleaning it up today and noticed it would be a lot easier to get some of the crud out of the top shifting unit if I removed it from the rest of the transmission. The setup on this car is really weird, I believe because of the "Floating Power" feature. The shifter itself is not attached to the transmission, but instead is bolted to the frame. This allows the tranny to "float" while keeping the shifter steady. If it was attached to the transmission, it would be shaking all over the place.

IMG_3553_zpsb022c640.jpg

Anyway, I wouldn't mind taking off the top cover to clean it and just take a peek at the gears to make sure everything looks okay. My worry is the shifting arms getting moved or out of whack while it's out and then finding myself unable to get things back together. Making a new gasket is no problem. Any advice from someone who has disassembled one of these units?

Ah, another problem to solve! Anyone have a source, or a pattern to make one? I didn't have a trace of a cover on either joint.

I'll crawl under mine and see if I find any remnants of a leather boot, but my initial thought is that ours didn't come with one. If they did, wouldn't you think that they would show that in figure 30 on page 76 of our manual? Yet it doesn't. Maybe they were available as an option? Back to you soon.

I'll crawl under mine and see if I find any remnants of a leather boot, but my initial thought is that ours didn't come with one. If they did, wouldn't you think that they would show that in figure 30 on page 76 of our manual? Yet it doesn't. Maybe they were available as an option? Back to you soon.

Not original, aftermarket item. Not recommended because they hold water and sand

Thanks, Phil. Don't bump your head!

The frame finally came back from the powdercoaters this morning. It looks good and I'm really glad to have a clean palette to serve as a base for assembly. There was a lot of surface pitting on the top of the frame rails, but I opted to leave it alone as none of this is visible when the car is together. As a matter of fact, almost all of the top and most of the sides of the frame are covered. The body channels over the frame, and the side rails are further hidden by the runningboard splash pans that hug the frame very closely. The rear of the frame is covered by the gas tank cover. About the only thing visible are the sides of the frame under the front and rear fenders and the bottom of the frame rails. All these areas are almost pit free. Finally, this is a driver, not a show car, and I want to get her back on the road!

The frame on jack stands in the garage.

IMG_3562_zpse6d01f50.jpg

Back springs due for one more coat of paint and then ready to install.

IMG_3563_zps3d4b1dcd.jpg

Frame rail showing smooth sides and pitting on the top.

IMG_3567_zps5b3a3fc6.jpg

Engine monting support/frame brace.

IMG_3565_zps3ea2156d.jpg

The X-member, new for 1932, that makes this such a solid car.

IMG_3566_zps00c7d478.jpg

Now it's time to start attaching things!

I've been staring at my front axle, trying to figure out how to get the old kingpins out. I had already gotten the small tapered pins that hold the kingpins in place out. I had to drill out their centers before I could get them loose enough to remove. I think the heat and vibration from the drill loosened them up enough that I could drive them out. The kingpins, however, wouldn't budge. I went on the web and found lots of information - most of it useless. The general consensus was to heat up the spindle and then drive out the kingpin with a large drift and the biggest hammer you could find. This didn't sound like a very sensible or safe way to do the job. Since I was going to go to Columbia, Missouri to videotape a basketball playoff game, I called Ed Thomas, the gentleman who did all the bodywork on Daphne, and asked him if he could help me out. Ed is more than just a body guy, he seems to have an innate knowledge of all things automobile, and he said, "Sure, I have all the tools you'll need to get everything taken care of." Yesterday, I made the two and a half hour drive and pulled into Ed's at around 10:30 AM.

The first order of business was to get the old kingpins out. No heat was applied, and although we did use a type of a hammer, it didn't involve swinging a 20 pound sledge and possibly removing fingers or pieces of hands in the process. Ed pulled out his trusty, twenty-year-old Snap-On impact wrench. We set the axle on the edge of his solid metal workbench and he began hammering down on the top of the kingpin with the impact driver. Within a few seconds the pin began to move and it was free in about half a minute. I didn't get a shot of the process because I was holding the axle. In any case, it worked like a charm.

IMG_3569_zpsbffbc490.jpg

The second kingpin came out much easier than the first and we discovered that it had gotten a full dose of grease over the years. We went back and examined the stubborn pin and noticed a great deal of rust at the bottom bushing and very little grease. This seemed odd as the car had been well lubricated over it's lifetime. The rust had been holding the pin in rather tenaciously. More on that later.

Now we drove out the bushings with the correct stepped tool Ed had handy for the job. This is the type of tool most of us simply do not have. They aren't cheap, you need one for each size bushing you want to drive out, and you'll probably use the tool once or twice in your lifetime if you're a hobbyist. As usual, with the right tool, the bushings came out with no problem.

IMG_3571_zps9552a15f.jpg

IMG_3575_zps082b7ba0.jpg

We cleaned up the end of the axle and pumped some fresh grease into the four fittings to clear out any old, dried out grease from the openings. As Ed said, "You don't want any of that stuff getting on your new bushings and kingpins." That's when we solved the mystery of the rusted, stubborn kingpin. The grease fitting was defective on the lower bushing. We tried to pump grease through it but nothing came out the other end. Over the years, when the car was lubricated, the mechanic must have assumed grease was going into the bushing, when it was actually just oozing out around the fitting. That one bushing hadn't had a shot of grease in a long, long time. The good fitting is on the right and the bad on the left.

IMG_3588_zps3f9cffaa.jpg

Now it was time to put the new bushings in. I bought a NOS kingpin set at Hershey and I had all the parts ready for the restoration.

IMG_3579_zpscd1e75be.jpg

Ed explained that the surfaces of the axle and spindle have to be perfectly flat and burr-free. If they aren't, any shims used will be torn up by the rough surfaces. We carefully filed everything smooth and flat.

MVI_3577_zpsf98c5a17.jpg

At this point, I figured that Ed would drive the new bushings in with the same tool he used to drive out the old. Au Contraire! No banging on the new bushings! He installed them using this handy little apparatus that allowed the bushings to be slowly pulled into place and for the lube holes to be correctly lined up. Just tighten down the bolts and the bushing slides into place.

IMG_3580_zps8f516fa0.jpg

IMG_3582_zpseb034792.jpg

IMG_3587_zps146171cf.jpg

With the bushings in place, we cleaned up the spindle in the blasting cabinet. There was a lot of rust and corrosion and the kingpin would not slip through the bore of the spindle. A quick cleanup and all was ready.

IMG_3583_zps379982a1.jpg

Now came the hard part - reaming the bushings. They are manufactured slightly over-sized so that the interior bore can be reamed to the correct diameter. This process also allows for both bushings to be reamed to perfect alignment so the kingpin can just drop through both bushings without any binding.

Using this reamer, with and extension and a pilot fitting to align it with the other bushings, we slowly reamed the bushings to an exact fit. The reamer expands and we adjusted the cutting diameter with each pass. It took about seven or eight passes to get things right on the nose. In the shot below you can see Ed holding the pilot bushing in his left hand as he inserts the reamer into the top bushing.

MVI_35902MOV_zps51a8d633.jpg

IMG_3593_zps674e8469.jpg

IMG_3592_zpsa2445706.jpg

MVI_3590MOV_zpsb6e4482d.jpg

Now the kingpins fit perfectly. I can push the pin in with slight finger pressure and the spindle moves easily and smoothly. The bearing is installed with the rotating surface down against the spindle and at the top of the spindle.

IMG_3595_zps7409c44a.jpg

IMG_3596_zpsf4ce15b4.jpg

I shot the basketball game (my team won and are going to the state championship game) and I came home, the axle ready for paint and final assembly.

A few months back this discussion came up on my "Paint Colors for 1933 Plymouth Convertible Coupe " thread. The response was that there is a "gasket" that goes between the top of the transmission and the cross member to keep water and dirt from getting up in here. For those that have not seen how this goes together the pictures show the shifter housing and fingers. It gets bolted to the cross member and than the fingers go down into the transmission to move the gears. The photos are for Plymouth cars but the configuration for your Dodge may be very similar. DodgeKCL replied indicating it was made from canvas duck material which I assume is wax or oil impregnated cloth in the shape of a donut. I am guessing here. Based on this I do not think a motor mounted correctly on good mounts would move or jerk much so as to allow the fingers to come out of the transmission.

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

Chris

Looks like someone stole the pin bushing reamer out of my tool chest. :)

By the way, I think that the style of grease fitting in your photo was first used on Chrysler built vehicles in 1934. At least I'm pretty sure that is true for Plymouth and generally that type of thing was introduced on all makes at about the same time.

Guest DodgeKCL

All "Floating Power" systems had the gear shift suspended over the transmission on a part of the frame. As you guessed this was to allow the tranny and engine enmasse to swing about it's centre of mass without the gear shift lever following it. Some systems also had a small 4 or 5 leaf spring setup on the passenger's side (usually) working through a rubber "sleeve" to stop the tranny and engine from swinging too far. The bottom of the gear shift lever had to be made dust and water proof and this is the piece of duck that needs to fill the gap and give flexibility. The front engine mount is a single block of rubber glued to an upper and lower piece of steel plate which bolted to the engine and down onto an "A" frame brought up from the main frame for just this purpose. The rear engine and tranny mounting varies with CPDD vehicles. But is usually 2 rubber mountings ,one on either side, made in the same fashion as the front one but larger and more robust. They bolt to another extension part of the main frame that goes under the rear of the tranny and to the rear of the tranny. This system started in 1931 with the '31 PA Plymouth and then the next year was put on every CPDD vehicle including trucks for about 30 years. ( The general public must of been well aware of "Floating Power" on Chrysler vehicles because an elderly friend of mine who knows I'm well into CPDD stuff tells me when he was young and trying to start an recalcitrant old Dodge or Plymouth,they used to push down on the starter pedal and yell "Float you bastard float !!".)

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress. The front axle is finished, new kingpins installed, fresh paint. Front springs got a second coat of black and are ready to go. Cleaned and painted the fittings that hold the spring to the axle but forgot to take a picture. Things are coming along slowly but surely.

IMG_3598_zps2c46fe5a.jpg

IMG_3600_zpsa2340617.jpg

The saga of the body continues. After waiting for warm weather so the body could be sanded and buffed' we went over the finish and Crin, the painter' wasn't satisfied. So, back to basics, paint sanded down, certain small areas addressed, and primer currently covering the problem areas. Tomorrow those areas will be sanded, then a full coat of primer will go back on. Crin offered to do this on his own, so I certainly can't complain.

Some of the progress:

11_zps3eee3d17.jpg

10_zpsee769f23.jpg

9_zpsec6166f7.jpg

8_zpsdfc06794.jpg

5_zpsb8893912.jpg

2_zps9e488d42.jpg

After much discussion, we have decided to shoot single stage black rather than base coat/clear coat. After a lot of research and no small amount of soul-searching, I've decided the single stage will give a more "original" look to the final paint job. Apparently the Dodge Brothers Club agrees as they don't allow clear coat paint jobs (I think this is correct, let me know if I'm mistaken). I took a look at two paint jobs at a local body shop, both black, one single stage and one cleared. I much preferred the single stage. The clear had somewhat of a dipped in plastic look that screamed modern day hot rod. It was nice and shiny, but lacked the "character" I believe is necessary on an old original car. I think single stage in solid, non-metallic colors looks very nice and should be easier to repair when it comes to minor road chips and such.

Let the disagreements begin! :D

(Some systems also had a small 4 or 5 leaf spring setup on the passenger's side (usually) working through a rubber "sleeve" to stop the tranny and engine from swinging too far.)

Anybody have a diagram of this?

Dave,
This is the layout on my DL. You can see the spring mounted between the bellhousing and the transmission and extending across on the passenger side of the frame. The small end of the frame rests in a rubber mount bolted to the bottom of the frame.
IMG_1688_zps82574332.jpg

The small end of the spring rides in this metal fitting with a vulcanized rubber pad in the center to cushion the spring.

IMG_3505_zps452c8906.jpg

I understand and agree with the gloss issue. There are flattening agents that can be added to the clear to give you just about any desired sheen you would like.

Dave,

This is the layout on my DL. You can see the spring mounted between the bellhousing and the transmission and extending across on the passenger side of the frame. The small end of the frame rests in a rubber mount bolted to the bottom of the frame.

IMG_1688_zps82574332.jpg

The small end of the spring rides in this metal fitting with a vulcanized rubber pad in the center to cushion the spring.

IMG_3505_zps452c8906.jpg

Thank you for sharing. I think we have a set up like this.