Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

I just finished reading the first 16 pages. WOW what a story. Glad to see you got her back.

what difference does it make if the shims are all the way back in the housing, or are just installed at the outer portion of the housing

Purely conjecture on my part, assuming facts not in evidence, I think the factory 'fool proofed' the end play setting by submerging the shims back in the housing so they would not be lost during field repairs and maintenance.

Purely conjecture on my part, assuming facts not in evidence, I think the factory 'fool proofed' the end play setting by submerging the shims back in the housing so they would not be lost during field repairs and maintenance.

Since the bearings are back to back against a ridge on the axle shaft (like on my 1931 DH6), the shim being inside the bearings WILL definitely make a difference in axle location. If you put the shims on the outsides, the axles will move closer together.

Since the bearings are back to back against a ridge on the axle shaft (like on my 1931 DH6), the shim being inside the bearings WILL definitely make a difference in axle location. If you put the shims on the outsides, the axles will move closer together.

Who on earth said anything about placing the shim/s inside (between) the bearings??

Who on earth said anything about placing the shim/s inside (between) the bearings??

I did not say "between the bearings". I said on the "inside" as in on the inboard side of the bearings on the differential side. Sorry if I was not clear.

Maybe I should have posted this quote..."what difference does it make if the shims are all the way back in the housing, or are just installed at the outer portion of the housing?"

If the shims are on the outer portion of the housing, the bearings and axles will be closer together.

Does THAT make more sense?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think there's pretty much of a consensus that the drawback to placing the shims outside is that the axle may move in too much and interference may result. The other question is will it move the axle inward enough to cause problems with the brake drum interfering with the backing plate. Until I figure out just what the thickness of the shims needs to be, I won't know if this is going to be a problem or not. I mean, are we talking a few thousandths of an inch or an eighth of an inch? I'm going to attempt to measure the thickness of the bearings clamped together with the bearing cups and then the distance inside the bearing housing. The difference, minus the required axle play, should give me a ballpark figure where I stand. The whole purpose is to set axle end play in the bearings. As soon as it warms enough that I can feel my fingers out in the garage, I'll give it a go. Until then, we've probably beaten this topic to death.

I checked the rear axle now that things have warmed up a bit. There is no way the axles can touch. The design has a shaft that connects the gears in the differential that is between the two axles. So now I have to see if the axles would be pushed in too much and actually come in contact with the shaft.

I'm taking my springs over to be sandblasted tomorrow along with some other parts - the front engine fixture and the transmission mounting support.

I'm also starting on the wheels and have the job of trying to break the beads loose on tires that have been in place for over forty years. Not looking forward to it.

IMG_3370_zps66274960.jpg

IMG_3372_zps3146bff4.jpg

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

I'm cleaning up my Delco-Lovejoy shocks and can find no trace of any paint on them - just lots of grease. Does anyone know if these units were painted (black?) or left bare metal? If bare metal I will probably paint them with "cast iron" paint to replicate the unpainted look and still avoid rust.

Originally black enamel, dipped.

Thanks, a better look than "bare metal."

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Finally, some warm weather! Snow melted, garage and drive clear and I finally found some time to clean and paint parts.

IMG_3391_zpsbf20463c.jpg

Yesterday, I took the springs, front floorboards, front motor mount, rear tranny mount and the battery box supports over to the sandblasters. This is why I usually hire this out - not the greatest job in the world.

IMG_3377_zpsc933dc3d.jpg

IMG_3373_zps4f1ec52a.jpg

IMG_3374_zps5334e7c0.jpg

They did everything in about an hour and a half and I took it all home hoping the temperature would get above 60 so I could paint everything before rust came back. I got the primer on last night as the temps were margial, but okay. I used the heat from my worklamps to keep everything warm.

Today dawned warm and clear and I put on a thin coat of black on the springs. Probably overkill, as the motion of the springs will probably wear it away, but hopefully it will keep some rust from forming. As this is going to be a driver, I can't expect perfect springs after a season on the road, but maybe this will help some of the expected rust from showing up on the edges of the leafs - or is it leaves? The two primed parts are the battery box supports. The one primed spring leaf - the little one - I had to go back to the sandblaster to get. It got buried in the sand and was temporarily lost!

IMG_3380_zps6a2072fa.jpg

32 spring leaves in all!

IMG_3387_zps27235ed8.jpg

Front motor mount.

IMG_3389_zpsce5f1d26.jpg

Rear Tranny mount.

IMG_3388_zpsa1dd9f65.jpg

Front floorboards. Some pitting from those Syracuse winters, but no holes and they are plenty solid. The rest of the floor is wood.

IMG_3390_zps0f01a7c6.jpg

IMG_3383_zpsb83d4a28.jpg

The weather forecast is for a cold front moving in tonight, so it's back to the deep freeze. I can't wait for Spring to arrive. Where the heck is Global Warming when you need it?

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

I feel the same way. There's still nearly a foot of snow in front of my garage, here in Toronto, Ontario.

Keith

You are making great progress!

. . . Where the heck is Global Warming when you need it?

Global Warming is hiding out in California at the moment. Nearly 80°F and sunny outside right now which is pretty unusual, if not unprecedented, for this area in February. I'll trade you some warm sunny weather for a bit of snow in the Sierra so we have water for the summer. . .

It's actually "leaves" since there is no such word as "leafs", but we all know what you mean.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

It's actually "leaves" since there is no such word as "leafs", but we all know what you mean.

Except for a certain Toronto hockey team:)

Except for a certain Toronto hockey team:)

I knew that would come up. You are right, of course. That, however is a proper name.

Actually there is, as in "He leafs through the pages."

But in this case it would be, "He leafs through the leaves."

Then there are the Lea Francis vintage cars known affectionately as "Leafs":rolleyes: but it won't be found in a dictionary so perhaps it doesn't count!

Ray

OK....you guys got me. I should have said that there is no such noun as the word leafs.

Dick,

Did you send me this pic ( 2 others as well ). I just had this feeling it was you but not 100% sure.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Sorry, I didn't send those - although I sure wish I owned that car!

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

One of the guys on the forum is looking at perhaps buying it and I'm racking my brains to see who sent it to me as they may have had a good look at it and can advise him of it.

Oh well, I'll keep searching.

Thanks

Ian

OK....you guys got me. I should have said that there is no such noun as the word leafs.

I make the same mistake noun and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,it may be better in some casees to let the pictures tell the story.................hahaha....all in fun....

Ian

I have that same picture I may have listed it here?? I saw it for sale on a site, can't remember which one tho...........